Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
garysanfran

Default Hart's Turkey Farm, Meredith...

I worked here as a busboy in 1966. I hated it, and quit after 3 days. As a result, I may have some deep-rooted reasons for avoiding the place. I had one meal since '66...fried clams. I wasn't impressed, but that was a long time ago. I was thinking of turkey today, probably another deep-rooted primal thing.

I was wondering what the good folks out there think of the place today?
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
Heading4thelake

Default Hart's still good!

I have been going there for over 40 years, I can only remember once having a meal that was subpar. It's not fancy and is served quickly but it is always good. Waiters and waitress's are always friendly and prompt. Don't know anyone there but food is great, that's it!
Heading4thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
rick35

Only one subpar meal for us too. Stopped on the way out on Saturday after closing up the camp for the winter for one last turkey pie. Used to be able to get a winter turkey fix when the had a restaurant in Manchester. The food is predictable, service is above average, and parking is easy when trailering a boat. And their cake is awesome!
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
inquiring one

I'm surprised with the comments. 20 yrs ago I loved it . In the more recent past I've been disappointed with Hart's. I had a couple bad meals yrs ago and vowed not to return.
Had a friend that wanted to try it out last spring, my fish was cooked so poorly I didn't eat it. The couple in he room with us ended up getting their meals credited by the manager, as did I. We went again later in the summer and had a similar experience. This time I asked around a bit to see if maybe I just had different tastes. To surmise nicely : Local People I know said they've noticed a decline and usually choose another spot to go, tourist place.
inquiring one is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to inquiring one For This Useful Post:
Quietly Native (10-21-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquiring one View Post
I'm surprised with the comments. 20 yrs ago I loved it . In the more recent past I've been disappointed with Hart's. I had a couple bad meals yrs ago and vowed not to return.
Had a friend that wanted to try it out last spring, my fish was cooked so poorly I didn't eat it. The couple in he room with us ended up getting their meals credited by the manager, as did I. We went again later in the summer and had a similar experience. This time I asked around a bit to see if maybe I just had different tastes. To surmise nicely : Local People I know said they've noticed a decline and usually choose another spot to go, tourist place.
Thanks for the comments, I was driving by while working on Squam Lake Sunday and thought about giving them a try.
I've been told by many that the best time to go is when they have the buffet.
Reasonably priced and you can pick and choose what you eat.
Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Have been to Hart's Turkey about three times this past summer, with my girl, and the dishes like turkey parmisian cost about 13.95, add in a 22-oz glass of beer for another 4.00 or so, and it all adds up to a very well cooked, high quality meal that is less expensive than the nearby Camp or Lago restaurants.

If you really want a good fast meal at a low price then go hit the best McDonald's on the entire planet.......the Meredith McDonald's; for $3.47, you can get a daily double cheeseburger with tomato, lettice & mayo, small fries, and a freebie large cup of excellent, excellent quality water.......drawn from the nearby Lake Waukewan!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
NBR

In the many, many years we have gone there 1 meal that was not top notch and the was likely our/my bad choice. I consider Hart's a good value place to eat with a large variety.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Stop in occassionally

The older generation in the area loves to stop in for a meal. I would treat my aunts, uncles and elderly friends to Hart if they requested.

Meal and service are average, don't expect a gourmet menu. Mixed drinks are watered down, order wine or beer.

They are consistent, never had a bad meal or service, never had an outstanding moment.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
Belmont Resident

Default Oh no, no

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Have been to Hart's Turkey about three times this past summer, with my girl, and the dishes like turkey parmisian cost about 13.95, add in a 22-oz glass of beer for another 4.00 or so, and it all adds up to a very well cooked, high quality meal that is less expensive than the nearby Camp or Lago restaurants.

If you really want a good fast meal at a low price then go hit the best McDonald's on the entire planet.......the Meredith McDonald's; for $3.47, you can get a daily double cheeseburger with tomato, lettice & mayo, small fries, and a freebie large cup of excellent, excellent quality water.......drawn from the nearby Lake Waukewan!
2 McChicken sandwiches, and a fruit parfait.
But for 2bucks more I'd prefer the subway $5 foot long. That's the best deal around IMHO.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
AussieDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I worked here as a busboy in 1966. I hated it, and quit after 3 days. As a result, I may have some deep-rooted reasons for avoiding the place. I had one meal since '66...fried clams. I wasn't impressed, but that was a long time ago. I was thinking of turkey today, probably another deep-rooted primal thing.

You don't go to Harts for fried clams.....you go to Harts for turkey and when I need a turkey dinner thats where I go.
By the way the hot turkey sandwich is to die for. Real mashed spuds with gravey and fresh rolls. We usually spend less than $30

Just my thoughts
AussieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
songkrai

Food poisoining twice.
Serious food poisoning.
In first case all at table had food poisoning.
Two different decades.

Have been back one other time since with a group of 12. My plate was fine. But two sent back as plate (turkey) was somewhat cool/cold but not hot.

Have only been there 3 times since early 1980's.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Food poisoining twice.
Serious food poisoning.
In first case all at table had food poisoning.
Two different decades.

Have been back one other time since with a group of 12. My plate was fine. But two sent back as plate (turkey) was somewhat cool/cold but not hot.

Have only been there 3 times since early 1980's.
Wow that stinks, I've had it before and been in the hospital for 8 hours trying to get fluids back in me. Pickled eggs. Never been able to eat them since.
My wife got food poisoning at T-bones when they first opened. We've been back but I think Thursday night was our last time. Took my visiting son out and we all had different items, nachos, open faced steak sandwich and sirloin steak and they were all terrible. First time my son has been to a T-Bones, as we were walking out the door he said he wouldn't go t another one.
As mentioned before I do want to try Harts but only when they have the buffet.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #13
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDog View Post
You don't go to Harts for fried clams.....you go to Harts for turkey and when I need a turkey dinner thats where I go.
You wouldn't think you would go to the Tilt'n Diner for fried clams either but my wife and others think they have are out of this world.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Default Common Man Chain

You would think Hart would be out of business when Alec open the 104 Diner. The food is much better at the diner than at Hart's. Cheaper too!

The Tilt'n Diner is also a great place for fast, simple food. Ditto for the Airport Diner.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
jrc

I think Hart's caters to the "big crowd" visitor. Grandma and Grandpa are in town, so let's take the whole gang down to the turkey farm for dinner.

Turkey dinner is always kind of festive. Most of us only make a big turkey dinner on Thanksgiving, so bringing the whole clan there is automatically an event.

It's really unfair to compare them with a regular resturant. They have only have other stuff on the menu because some people hate turkey and I guess they need something to get a few locals during the off season.

I would never even consider them unless older family members are visiting.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #16
camp guy

Default Hart's Turkey Farm

A few years ago Hart's did a lobster boil and steak BBQ at our house for a wedding rehearsal dinner - it was magnificent, couldn't have been better.

We try to go at least twice a season, usually in the spring and then in the fall, somewhat to avoid the crowds and buses, and we have never been unhappy.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
barefootbay

I too went to a wedding a few years ago that was catered by Harts and it was superb. Fresh hot turkeys that were carved at the table with all the fixings. Great service and food.
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
garysanfran

Default Thank you to everyone...

Your feedback is what this Forum is all about.

If I go I will share the experience. And the suggestion for the 104 Diner is very much appreciated. Thanks BroadHopper and everyone else.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #19
ghfromaltonbay

Default Lakeside Restaurant (Gilford)

The Lakeside restaurant (which took over the former Waldo Pepper's) has an excellent hot turkey sandwich as well. It's served on terrific homemade bread with 2 sides + ice cream for dessert for only $6.95. It was really delicious. The place is open year round and is across from the Walmart Plaza on Rt. 11. Worth the detour.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
DRH (11-25-2012), Irish mist (10-24-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #20
Winopt

Default Sunday Turkey and Football

Sunday football and Hart's Turkey is the best! If you call to take out, the meal is hot and ready in 10 minutes. I order the jumbo turkey dinner with all the fixings and extra gravy. That meal will easily feed two people with a good appetite. The food has been great and there is no clean up.
Winopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
benzguy

Default Hart's

Been going to Hart's for as long as I can remember. The food is always decent and mostly consistent. It's pretty remarkable that a restaurant can be this consistent for so many years. The service is always good and not much waiting for your food. It has been a landmark in this area for many many years and probably many more years to come. It is what it is!!!
benzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #22
Gearhead

Default Really??

I used to eat there when I was a kid and it was fun becuse we were usually a large group, but the two times I've been there as an adult I noticed that the turkey tasted like it was Swanson's / Tyson's. It has that MSG-preservative-chemical aftertaste going on, and I don't see any turkeys running around there, so I'd say it was trucked in presliced and frozen, and therefore bathed in preservatives and steroids or whatever they feed them on those farms (Someone please tell me I'm wrong. I want to think they buy humanely treated all-natural birds from local farms.).

I don't have the best taste buds but I know what a TV dinner tastes like and Harts tastes like a Swanson's TV dinner but with real potatoes.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #23
wifi

I remember going to Harts as a kid, before the addition(s) to the building. They did have turkeys outside, I don't think they have enough land to raise locally what they sell today
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
Gearhead (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #24
Diver Vince

Went there for the first time last week. We both had the open face turkey sandwich. We were surprised to say the least at what was presented to us. Tiny portions, turkey that reminded me of a Swanson's TV dinner and this cost over $11 each?? Suffice it to say we will not return. Don't really understand some of the past postings of about how great it is, but for my money if I want a turkey sandwich will head over to the Tilton Dinner. They do a far better job.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diver Vince For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #25
ghfromaltonbay

Default When in Gilford...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Vince View Post
Went there for the first time last week. We both had the open face turkey sandwich. We were surprised to say the least at what was presented to us. Tiny portions, turkey that reminded me of a Swanson's TV dinner and this cost over $11 each?? Suffice it to say we will not return. Don't really understand some of the past postings of about how great it is, but for my money if I want a turkey sandwich will head over to the Tilton Dinner. They do a far better job.
Try the excellent hot turkey sandwich at the Lakeside Restaurant across from the Walmart plaza on Rt. 11. The sandwich is enormous, real roast turkey on homemade bread that doesn't get soggy and it comes with 2 sides + cranberry sauce for $6.99! Worth the detour.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #26
garysanfran

Default Finally went a few days ago...Won't be returning soon...

Awful. The turkey was most remarkable for it's lack of quality and stringy texture. The tiny portion of cranberry sauce tasted exactly like Ocean Spray. The dressing was a gelatinous mass with no character or flavor. I should have got the clams!

When I was young, Harts raised their own turkeys. They now buy them from a farm in Utah (no turkey farms in New Hampshire?) and have since the late 60's. They had to make a choice to either run a restaurant or be turkey farmers. They made the wrong choice.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #27
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Ooooo. I had the Turkey sandwich at the Lakeside Deli just the other day. Yummmmmmmmmy! Sorry Harts, but I'll be going to the Lakeside from now on for my Turkey Sandwiches....

Turkey dinner sandwhich is one of my favorite things in the world.....Beside Prime Rib of course. You would think a place like Harts would have a great Turkey Dinner sandwhich. I will say we got a couple of take out dinners last T-day and they were pretty good.
Thinking of trying the Wine-ing Butcher for take outs this year before heading to Maine.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #28
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Vince View Post
George's Diner offers a great turkey dinner on Tuesday nights. Two people can split one meal. The cost is $10.99. I like the turkey dinner at the Tilton Diner, but I love the turkey dinner at George's.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #29
lovetheforum

Quote:
Awful. The turkey was most remarkable for it's lack of quality and stringy texture. The tiny portion of cranberry sauce tasted exactly like Ocean Spray. The dressing was a gelatinous mass with no character or flavor. I should have got the clams!

When I was young, Harts raised their own turkeys. They now buy them from a farm in Utah (no turkey farms in New Hampshire?) and have since the late 60's. They had to make a choice to either run a restaurant or be turkey farmers. They made the wrong choice.
I find your comment funny. A restaurant that has been in business for more than 50 years has to be doing something right.
lovetheforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #30
Pontoon Goon

Default I really WANT Hart's to be good.

Hart's is one of those places that just should be good. Great location, exterior looks inviting, the feel of the entrance and the dining rooms is one you could never duplicate in a chain restaurant. I love the turkey platters hanging on the walls. Then you step off that cliff when you order the food. In describing the hot turkey sandwich Diver Vince mentions Swanson's frozen dinners which made me laugh as that was the exact thing said by our entire table of four on our final visit three weeks ago. Swanson's on a piece of Wonder Bread. The extra gravy we ordered would not pour. It had to be removed by a spoon and spread with a knife. On an up note the beer was cold.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #31
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon View Post
Hart's is one of those places that just should be good. Great location, exterior looks inviting, the feel of the entrance and the dining rooms is one you could never duplicate in a chain restaurant. I love the turkey platters hanging on the walls. Then you step off that cliff when you order the food. In describing the hot turkey sandwich Diver Vince mentions Swanson's frozen dinners which made me laugh as that was the exact thing said by our entire table of four on our final visit three weeks ago. Swanson's on a piece of Wonder Bread. The extra gravy we ordered would not pour. It had to be removed by a spoon and spread with a knife. On an up note the beer was cold.

Well, looks like you won't get Wonder Bread next time.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (11-18-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #32
garysanfran

Default The philosophy at Harts keeps it going....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheforum View Post
I find your comment funny. A restaurant that has been in business for more than 50 years has to be doing something right.
Try and serve everyone on the planet once. They could continue for a long time, even if no one returns.

How long has Swanson been selling turkey TV dinners? Or Ocean Spray selling cranberry sauce?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #33
Chaselady

I think it's very interesting to note: In the thread about where someone could get a nice Thanksgiving dinner, there was no mention of Hart's Turkey Farm.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #34
JanN

Interesting to me too, despite the many Hart's bashers, I think the number of years it's been in business speaks volumes!
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #35
phoenix

As Yogi once said it is so crowded i dont go there anymore
Old 11-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #36
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
I think it's very interesting to note: In the thread about where someone could get a nice Thanksgiving dinner, there was no mention of Hart's Turkey Farm.
Yes, but I drove by there Thur around 1130 and their lot as well as the Harley lot were packed. They had a tent, I am assuming for waiting set up out front.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #37
kauriel

I'm not crazy about Hart's (or turkey) but my husband loves their turkey dinner & pistachio cake. We have to go at least once each time we make it up to the lake so they must be doing something right!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #38
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
As Yogi once said it is so crowded i dont go there anymore
You missed that one.
Its so crowded nobody goes there anymore.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #39
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
You missed that one.
Its so crowded nobody goes there anymore.
You both missed that one:

"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
Old 11-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #40
phoenix

Of course you are right but also of course the message got thru. Restaurants are in business to make money and when the crowds keep coming they do and for Harts they have for a long time
Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #41
boat_guy64

Default Thanksgiving from Harts

We knew that we would be getting to the lake at the last minute and wouldn't be able to cook a turkey. We didn't want to go out because that just doesn't seem like Thanksgiving to us. My wife placed an order of turkey, potatoes, gravy, squash and pie at Harts. We picked it up, took it home and it was really, really good and we still had days of leftovers just like when we do it ourselves. It was so easy and so good, we'll do it again and again. It made for a really easy and pleasant Thanksgiving. (Hanging out and watching football just like the pilgrims)
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #42
radioman

Default Harts

Nice post boatman, Harts continues to support all sorts of local charity events and even feeds
elders on thanksgiving!! Free
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radioman For This Useful Post:
KPW (12-05-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #43
lunch lady

Thumbs down Hart's

Quote:

I don't really like it - fee like I'm in a factory. So many nicer places in area to eat.
lunch lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #44
Billy Bob

If you like the food and feel of a rest home dining area you will love this place. If not drive anywhere but here
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #45
tbonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
If you like the food and feel of a rest home dining area you will love this place. If not drive anywhere but here
Gee, Billy Bob who nests in Tampa doesn't like Harts. Guess that's a good reason for me to eat there!
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #46
Hermit Cover

Default Billy Bob's Tampa

Speaking of not driving to a restaurant...when in BB"s Tampa save all your money and stay away from Mise en Place and Ocean Prime....two restaurants that are so over-rated and over-priced...I've had much better food on Saturday prime rib night at the Village Kitchen....Tampa is not a foodie's city.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #47
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover View Post
Speaking of not driving to a restaurant...when in BB"s Tampa save all your money and stay away from Mise en Place and Ocean Prime....two restaurants that are so over-rated and over-priced...I've had much better food on Saturday prime rib night at the Village Kitchen....Tampa is not a foodie's city.
Or take a trip to 'Top of the Town' across from the Belmont Mall. Great prime rib dinner at reasonable price with a great piano player to boot!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #48
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover View Post
You are right on with those 2 spots , we save them for the rich folks that come down from NH in the winter for the sun and fun. Next time try Burns in So Tampa great food and a real night out .
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #49
Ross_t

Default I like it

I avoided Hart's for years because of a bad review from a work colleague. Last year I attended an Electrical Seminar at Harts and the food served was outstanding! Been back several times with my wife and yes, I did get a clam roll at one visit and it was one of the best I've had in the Lake region.
The turkey dinner has always been great. I did buy a turkey pie recently for home and found it to taste freezer burned and a bit old. These are usually pretty good as well.
Ross_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #50
Pontoon Goon

Default I need to be fair.

Earlier in this thread I had slammed Hart's because I really had not been happy with them for a few visits in a row. This past weekend we had a big group up for the Pond Hockey Classic and they all wanted to try Hart's so I put a big grin on and went. It was quite good. Most went with the "regular turkey dinner" and found the portions to be good, turkey fresh and stuffing moist. Overall service was attentive also. Rated a B+ .
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote