Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #101
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Generally,the restaurant forum is just a casual chat among forum members who happen to stop in to different eating places in the lakes region and want to give a little feedback to other members.It's a little troubling,Phantom,that this seems to be your only mission in life after being a forum member for only a week or so.Not that we don't welcome your thoughts,but you've presented yourself (unintentionally,I'm sure) as an expert.
Why not lose the "Phantom" name and start over.We will enjoy hearing from you as a regular member.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #102
phoenix

well said Samian and to Phantom just relax and give your inputs like the rest of us. It was difficult for me to say anything negative about waldo's since I have chatted with Barbara for four years but I did as i had thought that something had changed- for you take these attacks as a grain of salt as they are " just words" and you are one of many who give their views
Old 07-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #103
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Now how is that for an owners quick response to gripes about their business?Outstanding I say!But I did forget something.I have to agree with another poster here that I like the old system of walking up to the counter and ordering much better.Most of that is probably me cuz I'm not big on going to sit in restaurants for an hour.I like to order,eat and get out.That's probably why I'm a big take out guy.I beleive,as was the case for us,that having another person translating my order to another,things can get lost or forgotten.I will admit I do not like sitting down and waiting for service in a sandwich type shop.I want to stand in line where I order,find a table,and wait for number to be called.I guess I could just do take out but I'd rather sit at a table and not feel obligated to pay another 20% just for someone bringing the food to my table.FWIW
Same here, I just assumed it would be pretty much the same as the old location.............. silly me. Darn!!!!!!!

On the other hand, yes, Pepper did respond, and kudos to her! It has to be very difficult, working another full-time job and trying to open a place..............
Old 07-19-2008, 07:05 AM   #104
Happy Gourmand

Default Ladies and Gentlemen

Good Grief....I feel like a major political candidate who has taken a stand for or against an issue. And now the pundits are ripping apart every word I said, ignoring the message and spinning the details into something they are not. My original post was my opinion....plain and simple...nothing more, and nothing less. Some of you agreed, some didn't....isn't that what this forum is all about? Some of you attacked me, others came out of the woodwork to agree that perhaps, just perhaps, my remarks were justified and accurate. The owner posted publicly and privately. She acknowledged publicly and privately that I had uncovered a growing issue at her new location and promised to make the necessary adjustments. I'm looking for the banner that says MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. ( I wonder where "W" put it )
It seems like some of you are reading way more intent into my original post than was intended. Sounds like a case of analysis paralysis to me. Remember, the main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.
I stand by my original posting and it's intent. At that time, the facts presented were true and accurate based on personal experience.
I have the owners word, posted here and via private EM that she has or is in process of correcting the issue.
What more can we ask?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:33 AM   #105
jetskier

Default Back on Topic?

Hi all,

Let's get back on topic. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and post. I personally appreciate hearing from everyone and anyone. That way I can form my own opinion. Let's get back on thread.

Personally, I am pleased that Pepper has responded so professionally...I would have expected nothing less. I am sure that the kinks will be worked out and I look forward to hearing a good review about the lobster rolls in the future.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #106
Pineedles

Default Here, Here JetSkier I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Hi all,

Let's get back on topic. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and post. I personally appreciate hearing from everyone and anyone. That way I can form my own opinion. Let's get back on thread.

Personally, I am pleased that Pepper has responded so professionally...I would have expected nothing less. I am sure that the kinks will be worked out and I look forward to hearing a good review about the lobster rolls in the future.

Jetskier
Phantom deserves credit for bringing the issue to the forefront. I don't consider his first post to be completely honest though, in as much he did misrepresent himself as a first time visitor to WP, which clearly was not the case. I believe he has learned that in order to be taken seriously he must be completely honest from now on. Let's get beyond this and onto other gourmand experiences. I too want to hear that all is well at WP's and we can move on to a new review that the Phantom posts about another restaurant.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #107
nj2nh

I am hesitant to jump in here for fear that another forum member will jump down my throat.

We have been going up to the lake for 45+ years, but, sadly, never visited Waldo Pepper's until last summer. There were 9 of us and we loved, loved, loved it!!!!

I was dismayed to hear it was moving since we liked the quick-fast-food-feel without the fast-food taste of our first visit, but figured that a new place was all good. And, besides, I never want anything to change - ever, no matter the reason.

However, on our second visit (and I know I don't have enough visits, really, to comment), we were kind of disappointed. The fries were limp and not quite warm. The pulled pork was just okay. My son, the burger expert, deemed it okay, but not great. No one tried the lobster roll, I am sorry to say. The service was pretty good as I recall, but we did ask for something (catsup, maybe) that never appeared. Of course, this was back at the end of June so I presume that things are going much more swimmingly now than when the place first re-opened.

Would I go back? Absolutely. Will my family come with me? I will have to work on them.

nj2nh
Old 07-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #108
Pineedles

Default Expect a Pepper Visit

NJ2NH,
You're doing fine, and I would expect that you'll be getting a "Pepper Comment" on the forum real soon. Things don't turn around at a new establishment overnight as it takes time to interview, do background checks, hire, re-valuate suppliers, etc. Although I have no connection financial or otherwise to WDs or there owner, other than meeting her once at a forum fest, I am person who thinks he is pretty good at evaluating people and these people are good people who are trying their best. Keep trying, I'll be going in the last week of July to give it a try.

FYI, we used to travel from Mountainside, NJ to Center Harbor when I was a kid. CT seemed like a BIG state then.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #109
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
.... Please, continue to be honest and forthright, so that we may know what our weaknesses are and work to strenghthen them!
Have you thought of "comment cards" at the tables that could be dropped in a box at the counter? People, especially regulars, may be inclined to comment that "xxxx" is better but "yyyyy" was not as good as it used to be and things like that. I haven't visited the new location yet but look forward to going the first week in August. I recall my last visit in February at the old location there was a young man at the counter that, while he didn't have the "style" of Pepper, was eager to make sure we got what we ordered and were satisfied. Is he still around and could he "infect" the waitstaff with his good attitude?
Old 07-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #110
jetskier

Post Went back today

We went back to Waldo's today and the quality of the food was extremely good. They have expanded the menu significantly; the pizza oven is back. We tried the pizza and calzone; both were great. The calzone is absolutely huge. The waitstaff was friendly and attentive. My wife tried the "Hawaiian Sandwich" and gave it a thumbs up. I will try the lobster roll again next time; not in a sea food mood this time.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
GWC... (08-24-2008)
Old 07-31-2008, 06:55 PM   #111
Pineedles

Default Revisit to WP's

I did not have the chance, as promised in an earlier post to go to WP's while I was up this week. A good next door neighbor and friend, Jim Castleberry (53) passed away last week. He ran for moderator in Moultonborough last election cycle. Wonderful person, fantastic family. Wife Wendy, and three children were rocks with the youngest boy of 10 delivering a moving poem of his father. A truly, good man has been lost.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #112
RamJet

Thumbs down Only the Name Is the Same, Not the Service, People or Food

We stopped at Waldo Peppers on Saturday morning shortly after 11 am for lunch, and ended up with the worst breakfast buffet we've ever had.

After waiting for at least 10 minutes for a waitresses and menus, we decided to order the lunch specials on the white board and learned that only breakfast is served until noon and that the breakfast buffet was available and would be open until noon.

Ok, so everyone in our party of four ordered the breakfast buffet.

When we got to the breakfast buffet we were surprised at the lack of food on the buffet. The scrambled eggs tray was nearly empty with the scrambled eggs that were left in the tray being hard and stuck to the bottom of the pan. The biscuits for the sausages gravy and biscuits were gone. Most of the trays were either nearly empty or were empty.

When I asked about getting more food on the buffet, I was told that food is not put on breakfast buffet after 11:30, but we could get more food if we asked for it. So we asked for biscuits and one biscuit was brought to our table. Then asked again for more biscuits and another biscuit was brought to our table.

Several times when we could get our waitress’ attention, she complained about being over worked and being short handed. When we wanted coffee refills, we had to ask another waitress because ours was on the phone.

I considered complaining to someone, but it was clear our waitress was having a really bad day and there were not other staff other than waitress in the restaurant.

Seems that the new Waldo Peppers is Waldo Peppers in name only.

The new Waldo Peppers misses the mark on:
* Personal service
* Friendly staff
* Having a very profit focused policy, by not refilling the breakfast buffet
* Not paying attention to the food on the buffet and having lousy food that should not have been served
Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #113
RLW

Smile Checking in on the lobster rolls

I have been watching to see if there has been any discussion about change in the lobster rolls regarding the chunks verses the leg meat in the rolls. Has there been any change and should one that use to love their lobster go back and give them a try for the roll only as their other food is still great as far as my family cares????
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #114
RI Swamp Yankee

Thumbs up RISY Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
I have been watching to see if there has been any discussion about change in the lobster rolls regarding the chunks verses the leg meat in the rolls. .......
I can't say if there is a change but I had lunch there today and had the Lobster Roll. We arrived to see a sign "seat yourself", ok, we did. hmm no menu ... young lady promply brought menus and asked what we would like to drink. ... good start ... When she saw we were ready to order she came to take our order, I already knew I wanted hot buttered Lobster Roll but didn't see it on menu so I ordered "Lobster roll", young lady didn't miss a beat and asked "hot or cold?" ... ok, now we are rolling.... I ordered hot and onion rings for my wife and I to split. Lobster roll came with fries and cold slaw. Within a reasonable amount of time my order and my wife's order came. Hot lobster roll and a little (but ample) container of melted butter. Slaw was just a tiny bit sweet and very good. Fries were pre salted (didn't know they would be) and just the right amount of crispy without being greasy. Lobster Roll .. did have some leg meat and also had chunks of claw and tail meat. I ate about half the meat before I got down to a perfectly buttered toasted roll. (side note: there is no gracefull way to pick up a hot buttered roll withoot getting you fingers butterey.. enjoy and lick you fingers after) Onion rings were almost as good as I remember, sliced a little thicker than I remembered but good light batter, crispy and not greasy. (or less greasy than most fried onion rings). Young lady did come back shortly to see if eveything was ok.

I left full and satisfied with leftover rings that I warmed on the grill for supper back at the campground. Overall I found the service to be good, cheerful, and friendly. .... no, I didn't ask here for a hug!

Only negative, which is now common everwhere, was the question "Do you need change?"

Just my observation for today's visit, your mileage may vary.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #115
sa meredith

Default My visit 8/17/08

So, on Sunday, after spending the day on the sandbar in Paugus Bay with my sister and her family of 5 (the day before my venture into the "circle"), I decided to to take a drive over to Shaw's to buy food for the next day...the very same food that I would leave behind at the Witches...anyway...
I was real hungry, so I figured, before shopping, why not grab a sandwich from Waldo Peppers.
It was 3:15 or so, so certainly not lunch time, and a bit before dinner. Therefore, there was only one party in the restaurant...4 or 5 people.
I had not been since early July, and wanted to give the lobster roll another chance.
I was very impressed at how clean everything looked...everything sparkling. The floor, the tables, the windows...just spotless. I walked over to a counter, and asked the a young man if I could get a to-go order. Why mess up one of the tables? I order the lobster roll...and he asked the two questions...single or double, hot or cold? The answers were single and cold. The damage...$15.95. I found it a bit much for a snack...not complaining..it is probably the market price, and I'm not saying it was not worth it, but 15.95 is a lot for a quick bite. Anyway, as I'm waiting I notice two things...
1.The Sox are losing 8-0 to the Blue Jays on the TV (very good idea to have one, a TV )
2. A Chipotle Cheesesteak on the specials board, that if I had seen, I probably would have got...it just sounded soooo good.
So, I take my order to the car, drive over to Shaw's, and open it. Fries were hot and great....loved them.
The lobster roll....tasted OK, good, but still just somehow does not look right with all that stringy leg meat. Yes, there was tail and claw pieces, but the leg meat was the primary make up of the roll. It tasted fine, just like lobster. Maybe I just don't remember correctly....did they always have all that leg meat? I don't think so, but am not sure.
If I had to guess....maybe with the costs of everything skyrocketing, this mix in of leg meat, or the meat being purchased by them is what is needed to keep the price reasonable. Maybe a roll of just chunks of tail and claw meat is no longer possible without charging 20/22 dollars. It would make sense to me. Anyway...the place looked great, and can't really fault the Lobster roll for not looking great..it tasted fine.
Next time? A cheesesteak.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #116
brk-lnt

My wife had been in there a couple of Sundays ago for a lobster roll lunch. No complaints at all, good/fast/friendly service, the rolls were comparable to anything else in the area and the place was very clean (and dry! it was pouring outside).
Old 08-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #117
Hermit Cover

Smile A Waldo Breakfast ....

Every once in a while Mrs. HC and I eat a Saturday breakfast out.....we headed to Donna Jean's in Weirs but were turned away by crowds of anxious diners waiting for a table and no parking...."Let's try Peppers, I said" and down the Weirs - Gilford - Laconia Parkway we headed. Now everyone know's we love Waldo and Pepper....and Waldo Peppers....but I have to say we were pleased to find a parking space in their lot and a full restaurant....10:15 am...and we sat down to a really nice breakfast experience.

Only two empty tables and an 18 person family reunion group ( how many places have the room and table length to seat 18 'hungry's' at ONE table??) We were waited on quickly (the coffee pot was at the ready) and the specials were mentioned but we opted for the biggest breakfast on the menu....The B-52...( I have all their CD's) with 2 eggs your way...bacon or sausage or ham...toast....and a pile of fried potato cubes...plus a couple slices of french toast. It was out of the kitchen and on our table before the TV in the corner could say "Joe Biden" twice. A great Saturday morning breakfast....well-prepared, hot off the griddle, and quick polite service and the price was way too low!!! We may have a new Saturday morning tradition.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #118
Newbiesaukee

Is there no longer a buffet or can you order from the kitchen (or both)
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #119
DRH

Default Both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Is there no longer a buffet or can you order from the kitchen (or both)
The last time we were there for breakfast (a couple weeks ago) you could either choose the buffet or order from the menu.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:07 PM   #120
Janet

Went to Waldo Peppers for the first time 2 weeks ago. Have to say I was disappointed in the lobster rolls. Lobster was very mushy. However, the fries were the best I've had.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #121
Taz

Default crowds

How is Peppers doing? Every time I go by, there are not many cars. I was there once this summer on a Friday night. There were only 2 other tables taken. I had the Lobster Roll and it was very average. Not nearly as good as when I used to get them at the old location.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #122
angela4design

Default Take out

Do they have take out menus? I like to call ahead to order lunch to pick up and bring back to the office sometimes, and I often think of WP, but I don't have a menu. A website would work, too!

I went once when they had a "temporary menu", so I'm not sure what the "Permanent One" offers?
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #123
angela4design

Default Oops!

I just found their website at www.waldopeppers.net. They still have that "Temporary menu" up, though. Have the produced a "Permanent" one yet?

Hey, if you need one designed, Pepper, I'm here!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote