Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default 20-dollar flu shots

The registered nurse there at the Meredith Hannaford's pharmacy who administered the flu shot seemed very qualified, and it cost twenty dollars, cash, if you are uninsured .... which seemed to me like a low price! Supposedly, this years incoming influenza is supposed to be nasty .... or something! There was just two old ladies there in line, ahead of me, so it took all of maybe ten minutes, start to finish, which was nice....fast in ... fast out .... budda-bing ... influenza .... away!

If I remember correct....and I do....it cost 25-dollars at Wal-Mart, Plymouth, back in October, 2011, and that registered nurse seemed very qualified too.

Starting next year, in October, 2014, if you are uninsured and want to get innoculated against the influenza virus, the IRS will place a $20,000 tax lien on your house if you are uninsured! Source: Rush Limbaugh!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-24-2013 at 11:39 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Political correction

I would prefer that you refrain from using the term 'old ladies' and 'old men'.

We are really 'recycled teenagers'.
Diana (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The registered nurse there at the Meredith Hannaford's pharmacy who administered the flu shot seemed very qualified, and it cost twenty dollars, cash, if you are uninsured .... which seemed to me like a low price! Supposedly, this years incoming influenza is supposed to be nasty .... or something! There was just two old ladies there in line, ahead of me, so it took all of maybe ten minutes, start to finish, which was nice....fast in ... fast out .... budda-bing ... influenza .... away!

If I remember correct....and I do....it cost 25-dollars at Wal-Mart, Plymouth, back in October, 2011, and that registered nurse seemed very qualified too.

Starting next year, in October, 2014, if you are uninsured and want to get innoculated against the influenza virus, the IRS will place a $20,000 tax lien on your house if you are uninsured! Source: Rush Limbaugh!

If there were only a way to return the flu shot when you were done with it at the end of flu season.....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-25-2013), Mirror Lake's BB (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
HellRaZoR004

^ ROFL (Rolling On the Floor Laughing)
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
dpg

Free where I work.....
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
songkrai

If any are a military veteran - the flu shot is free at any VA facility.

On another note.

I still run across mature adults that think that all is a conspiracy by the government.

Then there are those who state that they got "sick" one time 25 years ago.

Yes, some are allergic to eggs and cannot take most flu shots. But even some of those have never been actually checked if they are in fact allergic to eggs.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Irish mist

Default new shot

There's a new high dose flu shot for those over 65 that is 4x the strength of the regular shot. This new shot offers 25% more protection. Get it
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
dpg

I won't go there with my F.I.L. about the shots. He won't get one because 10 years ago or so he swears he got sick from it. Then again here's a guy who literally takes one baby aspirin for something that's sore. I tell him one isn't enough to even make it through your system. Whatever...Some things never change.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

Default Bring on the virus and bacteria

All a flu shot does is expose your body to that flu strain and it builds antibodies against it. I've always been a big proponent of exposing myself to everything and let my body do its job.
SteveA (10-06-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Reminds Me of an old Cartoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I've always been a big proponent of exposing myself to everything
Attached Images

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (10-03-2013), Slickcraft (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
ITD

Quote:
All a flu shot does is expose your body to that flu strain and it builds antibodies against it. I've always been a big proponent of exposing myself to everything and let my body do its job.
To each his own, but I got the flu when I was in my late 20's and was never so sick in my life, it lasted 3 weeks and took another 2 to before I really felt better. My doctor suggested that I get the flu shot annually and I have never looked back. The problem with the flu is that if you catch it you only have immunity to that particular strain, the flu constantly mutates so you never really have immunity to it naturally.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
crowsnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
If any are a military veteran - the flu shot is free at any VA facility.

On another note.

I still run across mature adults that think that all is a conspiracy by the government.

Then there are those who state that they got "sick" one time 25 years ago.

Yes, some are allergic to eggs and cannot take most flu shots. But even some of those have never been actually checked if they are in fact allergic to eggs.
JUST NOT THIS WEEK , "SHUT DOWN"
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
Chaselady

Quote:
Please don't expect your body to do miracles. I worked many years as a MICU nurse and saw people with previously healthy immune systems unable to fight off the flu. They went from healthy to death on a ventilator in a matter of a short time. It's not worth the gamble.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaselady For This Useful Post:
trfour (10-02-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

My only point is, and of course I'm exaggerating, is if you are pretty healthy I don't believe you should live in a sterile world.

Truckload of bacteria
The human body carries more than 100 trillion bacteria - up to five pounds of the tiny single-celled organisms. The mouth alone has several hundred species of bacteria. Each tooth is its own ecosystem.

Together, all of the bacteria in the body would be the size of a large liver, and in many ways, scientists say, the microbiome behaves as another organ in the human body.
Certainly bacteria are different than viruses but ones body should be exposed to all if healthy enough. The flu shot is is doing exactly this for that strain.

FWIW

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 10-04-2013 at 08:53 AM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
Chaselady

You want your body to learn to develop immunities by being exposed to small doses of the disease...that's what the flu vaccine does. That is safer than the Russian roulette of full exposure to a disease outbreak that could overcome your body systems before you have a chance to fight it off.
I hope you change your mind. We receive many vaccines in our lifetimes. Smallpox, measles, hepatitis, mumps, etc.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default One thing that can't happen...

You can not get the flu from a flu shot. The flu shot does not contain a live virus.

The flu shot vaccine is manufactured according to the "experts" best judgement as to what flu or flus will occur during the flu season. Sometimes they hit it right, and sometimes not so good.

When not so good happens, more people get the flu, even those who got the shot, and therefore they believe "they got the flu from the flu shot".
Old 10-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #17
SIKSUKR

Totally agree that vaccines are needed for all those serious illnesses.There is no vaccines per say for the flue as it morphs perpetually.Except for children and the elderly,for the most part the flu is nothing more than a miserable week that will pass and your body will be stronger and more resistant for it.I've had the flu once in my life and am exposed to infected people every year.I dunno.To each his own.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
Pineedles

I am of the same mind as SIKSUKR, for those that need the shot, go with it. I've never had the flu or the shot, nor do I get colds. Just the big stuff like cancer for me, but I licked that. If they come up with an anti-cancer shot, I'd be first in line. I owe my good health most likely to eating a lot of dirt, and drinking Winnipesaukee water as a kid.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (10-04-2013), ApS (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #19
AB_Monterey

Same here. Haven't had a shot in years. Don't intend on getting one.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Had my flu shot yesterday. Ever since I was severely ill with H1N1 (swine flu?) several years ago I get the shot b/c I never want to go through that again. I could barely get out of bed for almost a week. Also, working in a school, I come into contact with lots of germs.

My doctor's office charged BC/BS a heck of a lot more than $20. It was like $20 to administer the shot and $80 for the shot itself.

So $20 if uninsured and $100 with insurance? what a deal!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #21
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I don't like flu shots either. My doctor can't believe I don't want to have one. I very seldom get sick---- famous last words, right?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #22
Newbiesaukee

As with almost any decision that matters, we consider the risk versus the benefit. Unfortunately, nothing is simple. IMO, the risk in the flu shot is negligible compared to the benefit. The benefit is that it decreases the risk of getting the flu. In certain groups the problems with flu are greater than in other age/wellness groups. But even in the healthy working ages, getting sick is no fun and lost time from work is real. In addition, the more people who are vaccinated the less likely you will get it from someone else or give it to someone else....either a co-worker or someone in whom the consequences are more serious than if you yourself get it.

I'll get off the soap box but I do think it is an important issue.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #23
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Consult With Your PCP First

I think the decision to get or not get a flu shot is one that should only be made after consultation with your primary care physician and not based off "internet recommendations". While it may be safe for most people it is not safe for everyone... http://www.flu.gov/prevention-vaccination/vaccination/#

Dan
Old 10-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
Newbiesaukee

I could not agree more.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #25
SIKSUKR

Default I'll pass

Are there side effects?

Mild side effects usually begin soon after you get the vaccine and last one to two days. Possible mild side effects of the flu shot include:
•Soreness, redness, and swelling at the injection site
•Fainting, mainly in adolescents
•Headaches
•Fever
•Nausea

Possible mild side effects of the nasal spray include:
•Runny nose
•Wheezing
•Headache
•Vomiting
•Muscle aches
•Fever

Serious side effects usually begin within a few minutes to a few hours after receiving the shot. Possible serious side effects of vaccination include:
•Difficulty breathing
•Hoarseness
•Swelling around the eyes or lips
•Hives
•Paleness
•Weakness
•Racing heart
•Dizziness
•Behavior changes
•High fever
Old 10-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #26
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Had my flu shot yesterday. Ever since I was severely ill with H1N1 (swine flu?) several years ago I get the shot b/c I never want to go through that again. I could barely get out of bed for almost a week. Also, working in a school, I come into contact with lots of germs.

My doctor's office charged BC/BS a heck of a lot more than $20. It was like $20 to administer the shot and $80 for the shot itself.

So $20 if uninsured and $100 with insurance? what a deal!
I have no clue ..... honestly? .... but for twenty dollars cash....I supposedly got a flu shot administered by registered nurse, a 30-something female wearing a white RN style uniform in the Meredith Hannaford's new pharmacy waiting area via a needle into my deltoid muscle in the upper arm area ..... so who knows but maybe all I got was last weeks left-over orange juice for twenty dollars cash and for 120-dollars billed to insurance ..... u got the real deal?

Medical prices are all very mysterious until you get the bill ..... and then it's no joke?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
ITD

Quote:
Are there side effects?

Mild side effects usually begin soon after you get the vaccine and last one to two days. Possible mild side effects of the flu shot include:
•Soreness, redness, and swelling at the injection site
•Fainting, mainly in adolescents
•Headaches
•Fever
•Nausea

Possible mild side effects of the nasal spray include:
•Runny nose
•Wheezing
•Headache
•Vomiting
•Muscle aches
•Fever

Serious side effects usually begin within a few minutes to a few hours after receiving the shot. Possible serious side effects of vaccination include:
•Difficulty breathing
•Hoarseness
•Swelling around the eyes or lips
•Hives
•Paleness
•Weakness
•Racing heart
•Dizziness
•Behavior changes
•High fever

Those are very, very rare, just got my shot a few days ago, only "side effect" is the injection site is slightly sore for a few days after.

I had to start a new medication years ago and I questioned side effects with the doctor who told me that those were other people's side effects, you shouldn't have any problems and if you do we will deal with them. The risk from the condition you are being treated for is far more serious than the risk of a potential side effect. He was right, I never had a problem.

The flu is a serious matter that kills many people each year and seriously sickens many more for a few weeks. I'll take a sore arm a few days to lessen my chance of having to deal with the flu.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #28
Greene's Basin Girl

I never have any side effects from the flu shot. I get it every year.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #29
polarisman14

Meh, I'm all set with the flu shot. I've had all of the required vaccinations but none of the optional ones. Maybe my opinion will change when I have kids or get into my 40s but for now I'd rather stick with what works.

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #30
First Mate

I choose to get my annual flu shot from my local Visiting Nurse association. They hold clinics in the area, but you can also walk in, which is what I do -- I call first to make sure a nurse is available.

The cash or insurance price is about the same as the local pharmacy, and I would much rather give them my money, especially since it doesn't cost any more. Driving around the Lakes Region in wintertime, caring for the sick and housebound, it's amazing what they do. Just my two cents.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote