Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
rgilfert

Default Compass Removal Advice

I have an old (1998) Four Winns Horizon 200 that has a flush mounted Ritchie F-50 compass on the dashboard. The issue is that over the last couple of years the compass has leaked out (for some unknown reason) most of its liquid and has stopped functioning accurately. I see on Amazon that I can still purchase the identical unit for around $55 and thus I'd like to replace the original unit with one that will actually tell me what direction I'm heading. Prior to ordering the new compass I thought that I'd perform my due diligence and see how easy getting the old unit out is. Here lies the problem! Using a small offset Phillips screwdriver I was able to remove the three screws connecting it to the dashboard ..... but .... when I tried to lift the unit out I found that it couldn't be removed due to its proximity to the windshield. Doh!!! In looking at the dashboard and instrument cluster it appears as if the slightly darker (in the picture) vinyl covered fiberglass sheath the holds the compass, instrument cluster and toggle switches should be able to be removed enough to get the compass out but I don't know how to do it! Looking under the dashboard doesn't offer an obvious remedy ..... does anyone have experience in doing this and can help me find the under dash connection points?? In the second photo, one of two long bolts with wing nuts is visible (right centerish) that look like they "might" be at least part of the solution ..... But I don't want to just start taking things apart and end up with a boat that doesn't work. Help, please!
Attached Images

rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote