Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
uglytunasaloona

Default Jiffy Ice Drill Repair

My wife and I moved to Laconia from NJ in September and we're enjoying every bit of the winter outdoors. We've been snow shoeing and skiing at Gunstock several times. With the temperatures dropping and ice starting to form on the lakes I started to get my ice fishing equipment ready. I realized that my Jiffy Ice Drill was a problem at the end of last season. It will start but it stalls out as soon as I try to engage the auger. I'm looking for recommendations for repairing it.

Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide.
uglytunasaloona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
RLW

Smile

uglytunasaloona, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. I am sure you will get lots of help in finding a good location to have your Jiffy ice auger repaired. Good luck and enjoy the ice fishing.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
sluggo

with out seeing the auger its always a crap shoot. Check your fuel, if you have one of the newer jiffys the carbs will clog up really easy. How old is the auger ?
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
uglytunasaloona

Default It is 6 years old

Thanks for the reply. I've always been good about draining it and using fresh mix. I am not sure that I want to undertake dismantling it to clean the carburetor. I usually make a mess of things when I try to do things like that. Any shops in the area that would take a look at it?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Jiffy Website repair center locations

Repair locations as listed on their website can be found here:
http://www.jiffyonice.com/EComStore/...erLocator.aspx

just click on NH and it will giver you a list of several around NH.

Hope it helps.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglytunasaloona View Post
My wife and I moved to Laconia from NJ in September and we're enjoying every bit of the winter outdoors. We've been snow shoeing and skiing at Gunstock several times. With the temperatures dropping and ice starting to form on the lakes I started to get my ice fishing equipment ready. I realized that my Jiffy Ice Drill was a problem at the end of last season. It will start but it stalls out as soon as I try to engage the auger. I'm looking for recommendations for repairing it.

Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide.
If you google small engine repair laconia, nh there are several options that pop up. Good Luck.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Sunrise Point

I don't know if he does this sort of repair, but Keinan Martin (527-0940) at Lakeport Power Equipment might be able to help you.

He has tuned a few pieces of equipment for us and we have been very happy with the service and the price.

Good luck!
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunrise Point For This Useful Post:
Altonbayicefishingfool (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
uglytunasaloona

I appreciate the suggestions. I'll give Lakeport a try first and than some of the others. I like to try and support local businesses.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
sluggo

call Mark Richter , small engine repair. he has fixed my jiffy a couple of times and does great work at a fair price.

828 Whittier Highway Moultonborough, NH 03254
(603) 476-2606
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Altonbayicefishingfool

I've had the same problem with my Jiffy.. Basically the thing hasn't run right since it was new..the Tecumseh engines they put on them are GARBAGE! I've heard this from more than one person.
I just dropped my snowblower off @ lakeport power equipment ( ironically it has a Tecumseh and it doesn't run right either) imagine that! So I think I'll have him take a look at it as well..
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonbayicefishingfool View Post
I've had the same problem with my Jiffy.. Basically the thing hasn't run right since it was new..the Tecumseh engines they put on them are GARBAGE! I've heard this from more than one person.
I just dropped my snowblower off @ lakeport power equipment ( ironically it has a Tecumseh and it doesn't run right either) imagine that! So I think I'll have him take a look at it as well..
Funny, my Tecumseh cold-weather engines always run great! Have an 11.5HP snowblower that always starts on the first pull, even if it's been sitting for over a year.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
NoBozo

My two year old (MTD) 26" Craftsman snowblower needs the choke almost full ON to run at all this year. Then it only puts out maybe 60% power. Love that ETHANOL.

I drained the tank and carb last spring BUT my local (MTD) Cub Cadet dealer says you really can't drain the carburetter totally. A new carb is $58. on line. OR have the dealer replace the carb for about $150. Replacement of the carb with a New one is quite often more cost effective because of the high cost of labor... to clean/rebuild the old one. NB

PS: I wonder if the engine is a Tecumseh..?

EDIT: Answer: NO: MTD stopped using Tecunseh engines in 2008 for Craftsman Snow Blowers. The engines used are now Chinese.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
ITD

A screwdriver, a few wrenches and a can of carb cleaner will solve most problems. Carburetors on small engines are usually pretty simple. Just be careful to pay attention how things go back together when disassembling. Also be careful not to tear the diaphragms that are usually in the two stroke engines and newer four strokes. Clean out all passages, especially jets. Reassemble, adjust mixture if needed, should run as good as new. Less than an hour in most cases. YMMV....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
NoBozo (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
NoBozo

My local Cub Cadet dealer suggested this. There is a product put out by Stihl (chain saws) that is purportedly REAL Gasoline..without the ETHANOL. Comes in quart cans....Not Cheap. He suggests..when you winterize/summerize..you run the engine for awile on this stuff ..to Displace the old Ethanol gas in the system. Then drain the carb as best you can. NB
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
NoBozo

There is NO Magic Bullet. Once your system is clogged up with ETHANOL by products you MUST take the carburetter apart and clean it or replace it.

There IS NOTHING you can add to the fuel or spray in there that will FIX the problem. Sad but true. NB
Old 01-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #16
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
There is NO Magic Bullet. Once your system is clogged up with ETHANOL by products you MUST take the carburetter apart and clean it or replace it.

There IS NOTHING you can add to the fuel or spray in there that will FIX the problem. Sad but true. NB
I assume that your carburetor bowl is similar to the one below.

Name:  NoBozo carb.jpg
Views: 6343
Size:  13.0 KB

Turn off the gas line and do the following:

1. Remove the carburetor bowl by taking out the center high speed bowl nut.
2. Clean the end of the high speed needle that goes into the main nozzle tube.
3. If you have a compressor, blow air into the main nozzle tube.
4. Make sure that the float moves up and down freely without sticking. If it sticks, remove the float pin and disassemble it to clean the needle valve. Reassemble the float.
5. Clean the bowl to remove any sediment that might be there.
6. Put bowl back on the carburetor.
7. Drain the gas tank complete.
8. Remove the tube that comes out of the gas tank and then blow air in it to clean the line. Reassemble.
9. Get a gallon of fresh gas and put 2 oz’s of seafoam in it.
10. Fill your gas tank.
11. Start your snowblower and let in run even if you have to have the choke all the way out. Then over time slowly push the choke in until it is completely off.
12. It still might not run smoothly because the spark plug might be coated with carbon from cleaning the carburetor.
13. Remove the spark plug and clean all the carbon off and also check the gap.
14. Put the plug back in and then start the snowblower...it will run perfect.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #17
Belmont Resident

Default Check these guys out

Belmont hardware 267-8510
I take all my small engine repairs and carb rebuilds to them.
I noticed you in Laconia and red some responses that were on the other side of the lake.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #18
fatlazyless

......say-hey.....why not forgetabout the Jiffy motorized auger which probably cuts an 8" hole, and go for a 6" diameter hand powered auger....what I use....it works pretty fast.....and has cut a 6" hole through 16" of ice in about three minutes.....no gas....no starting problems.....and just a small file keeps it sharp....sometimes u see them at St Vincent de Paul or at Goodwill in Laconia for maybe 8-dollars.....or new they cost about 40-dollars...probably one-half less than what Richter Small Engine in Moultonborough will charge to fix the Jiffy....plus they weigh a lot LESS than the Jiffy motorized ....plus the hand powered augers never seem to run out of that expensive $3.35/gal gasoline...
Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
Winnisquamguy

Default Lakeport Power Equipment

Published Date

Written by Adam Drapcho

LACONIA — Keinan Martin learned to love tinkering when he was growing up in Laconia, getting his hands dirty in the engine bays of cars. That led to a 20 year career as an aircraft engineer for the U.S. Navy. After retiring from the armed service, Martin is back in Lakeport, spending his days tinkering in his garage, and he's happier than ever.
Martin, and his wife Christina, decided after his retirement from the Navy to come back to Laconia. In 2006, they moved into the home on Mechanic Street where she grew up. Martin found work as a small engine technician working for a local landscaping firm. After a few years, though, he decided he could do the work for his own benefit. "I spent 20 years working for Navy chiefs — I wanted to be the boss." So, in 2009, he started Lakeport Power Equipment, operating out of the two-car garage at his residence.
Martin's business took some time to build up. Running a business out of his home, he's prohibited from using signage to advertise. Through word-of-mouth and repeat customers, though, he was soon working 12-hour days and spending Saturdays making deliveries. "This has turned out to be quite fun," he said. His business has grown to the point where he's taken on his daughter, Emily, to help answer phones and interface with customers.
One might think that a snowblower or a chainsaw would be too simple to keep the interest of someone who spent two decades working on military aircraft. Martin has found the work intriguing, however. "They're more complicated than you think," he said. And, like aircraft, automobiles or any other device, technology continues to march forward. Many lawnmower companies, he said, have adopted electronic fuel injection and on-board diagnostic systems. "There's always something that's new to learn."
In contrast to the latest equipment to roll off the assembly line, Martin also has customers that bring in equipment that is about as old as he is. Average age of lawnmowers in the Lakes Region is between 10 and 20 years old, he estimated, and some are decades older than that. "You see a lot of vintage equipment that people bring in here. You can still find parts for them," he said.
He expected to like the tinkering, but what Martin likes best about running his business came as a surprise. "I didn't know it at first, one of the nicest things is dealing with the customers — I enjoy pleasing my customers."
He must be good at it, because he estimated that 90 percent of his business is from repeat customers. His business philosophy is simple but effective, "I try to offer the best possible service at the best possible price," and he doesn't allow his value-conscious pricing to undermine the quality of his work. "When their equipment leaves the shop, I want it to be running as if it were my equipment."
"I wouldn't do this if I didn't love tinkering," said Martin. Even so, what keeps him satisfied is the chance to serve his customers. "I've been happier doing this than working for someone else... You get to see the customer happy, you get to see that they value me and value my shop. I like making them happy."

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...to-be-own-boss
secondcurve (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
......say-hey.....why not forgetabout the Jiffy motorized auger which probably cuts an 8" hole, and go for a 6" diameter hand powered auger....what I use....it works pretty fast.....and has cut a 6" hole through 16" of ice in about three minutes.....no gas....no starting problems.....and just a small file keeps it sharp....sometimes u see them at St Vincent de Paul or at Goodwill in Laconia for maybe 8-dollars.....or new they cost about 40-dollars...probably one-half less than what Richter Small Engine in Moultonborough will charge to fix the Jiffy....plus they weigh a lot LESS than the Jiffy motorized ....plus the hand powered augers never seem to run out of that expensive $3.35/gal gasoline...
You actually resharpen???? I figured you would just bring it back and get a new one when they get dull.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #21
uglytunasaloona

I dropped off at Lakeport yesterday. He had another Jiffy 30 in the shop for repair. If the amount of equipment that he had on his lot is any indication of the demands for his services it will probably turn out to be a good choice. I just hope it doesn't take that long. I'll post back when the work is complete.

As an aside I used a shop in back in NJ that did excellent work at a reasonable price but it would take forever to get your equipment back. I once had to wait 3 weeks to get a lawnmower returned. Luckily I dropped it off at the beginning of March when it wasn't crucial that I get it back immediately.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #22
NoBozo

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
My local Cub Cadet dealer suggested this. There is a product put out by Stihl (chain saws) that is purportedly REAL Gasoline..without the ETHANOL. Comes in quart cans....Not Cheap. He suggests..when you winterize/summerize..you run the engine for awhile on this stuff ..to Displace the old Ethanol gas in the system. Then drain the carb as best you can. NB
As I stated previously, the 2 year old snow blower would ONLY run with the choke near full ON at maybe 60% power.

SO: I drained the gas tank and removed the float bowl and checked the contents. Nothing but Clean Gas..no Sediment, Goop, Water or corrosion. The Ethanol gas was less than two months old.

I bought a quart can of Stihl MotoMix for $7.99 as suggested by the Stihl/Cub Cadet dealer. It's 92 Octane non Ethanol gasoline with a 50:1 mix of synthetic oil designed for two strokes. I put about half the can of MotoMix in the tank and the machine started on the fourth pull.

It RUNS Perfectly now. Full throttle, half throttle, idle..etc and NO Choke after 30 seconds of running. Goody Goody.

The CONCLUSION: The only explanation is that the less than two month old Ethanol gas was FLAT. The MotoMix has a two year shelf life so I will store the machine with the MotoMix in the tank and system Until it snows. Then I will go buy some fresh Ethonal gas for the snow removal...then back to the MotoMix until next time. NB: Happy Camper.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
ApS (01-18-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #23
uglytunasaloona

Default Repairs completed quickly

Keinan finished the and called me on Friday. The charges were more than reasonable and the auger is running like a charm. All we need is some ice.

I will definitely be using Lakeport for my other power equipment.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #24
Altonbayicefishingfool

Thumbs up

I picked up my snowblower from him a few days ago. The thing wasn't running well at all. Took about a week to fix and it runs great!!
I couldn't be more happy with the work and service. I will definitly be back.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #25
NoBozo

Default Follow Up

SO: Uglytunasaloona & Altonbayicefishingfool: What did they Say was the problem..? Inqiring minds need to know.. Just Wondrin...NB
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
ApS (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #26
Altonbayicefishingfool

1/2 tank of water, dirty carb, governor linkage out of adjustment and bad seal around gas cap causing poor fuel flow to the carb.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #27
Belmont Resident

Quote:
1/2 tank of water, dirty carb, governor linkage out of adjustment and bad seal around gas cap causing poor fuel flow to the carb.
1/2 tank or water! Many of us have been saying that whenever possible you should drain the tank and run all the gas out of the carb on all of your power equipment.
Glad to here it was fixable.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #28
NoBozo

Quote:
Remember that famous quote during WWII , Battle of the Bulge..where the German General told the American General who was surrounded..to Surrender....and the American General responded with.. NUTS
NB
Old 02-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #29
thom45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Published Date

Written by Adam Drapcho

LACONIA — Keinan Martin learned to love tinkering when he was growing up in Laconia, getting his hands dirty in the engine bays of cars. That led to a 20 year career as an aircraft engineer for the U.S. Navy. After retiring from the armed service, Martin is back in Lakeport, spending his days tinkering in his garage, and he's happier than ever.
Martin, and his wife Christina, decided after his retirement from the Navy to come back to Laconia. In 2006, they moved into the home on Mechanic Street where she grew up. Martin found work as a small engine technician working for a local landscaping firm. After a few years, though, he decided he could do the work for his own benefit. "I spent 20 years working for Navy chiefs — I wanted to be the boss." So, in 2009, he started Lakeport Power Equipment, operating out of the two-car garage at his residence.
Martin's business took some time to build up. Running a business out of his home, he's prohibited from using signage to advertise. Through word-of-mouth and repeat customers, though, he was soon working 12-hour days and spending Saturdays making deliveries. "This has turned out to be quite fun," he said. His business has grown to the point where he's taken on his daughter, Emily, to help answer phones and interface with customers.
One might think that a snowblower or a chainsaw would be too simple to keep the interest of someone who spent two decades working on military aircraft. Martin has found the work intriguing, however. "They're more complicated than you think," he said. And, like aircraft, automobiles or any other device, technology continues to march forward. Many lawnmower companies, he said, have adopted electronic fuel injection and on-board diagnostic systems. "There's always something that's new to learn."
In contrast to the latest equipment to roll off the assembly line, Martin also has customers that bring in equipment that is about as old as he is. Average age of lawnmowers in the Lakes Region is between 10 and 20 years old, he estimated, and some are decades older than that. "You see a lot of vintage equipment that people bring in here. You can still find parts for them," he said.
He expected to like the tinkering, but what Martin likes best about running his business came as a surprise. "I didn't know it at first, one of the nicest things is dealing with the customers — I enjoy pleasing my customers."
He must be good at it, because he estimated that 90 percent of his business is from repeat customers. His business philosophy is simple but effective, "I try to offer the best possible service at the best possible price," and he doesn't allow his value-conscious pricing to undermine the quality of his work. "When their equipment leaves the shop, I want it to be running as if it were my equipment."
"I wouldn't do this if I didn't love tinkering," said Martin. Even so, what keeps him satisfied is the chance to serve his customers. "I've been happier doing this than working for someone else... You get to see the customer happy, you get to see that they value me and value my shop. I like making them happy."

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...to-be-own-boss
I went ice fishing this afternoon but didn't get far due to problems with my Strikemaster ice auger - self inflicted. I remembered these posts and when I got home I looked up to see who my best bet would be. I opted for Lakeport Power Equipment am extremely glad that I did. At 4:30 on Saturdaay afternoon he was willing to fix it then and when I asked what I owed he replied no charge. It's extremely rare to find someone like this and he has developed a loyal customer in me. Kudos to Lakeport Power Equipment and Keinan Martin.
thom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thom45 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (02-23-2013), Winnisquamguy (02-23-2013)