Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #1
hockeypuck

Thumbs up Gourmet Butcher Shop

Just got back home from two great weeks at Winni.(Got to say hello to Pepper) One evening exiting from Patrick's Pub I noticed a new butcher shop across the parking lot. Named The Whineing Butcher (spelling ?), They carry gourmet meat, cheese, and wine. We gave it a try and found the marinated sirloin tips to be fantastic, Just gives everyone another option. We thought it was so good we packed up about eight pounds to take home in the cooler for the next BBQ. If your're around that area I suggest you stop in and check it out. I think they just opened up in July.
Hockeypuck
hockeypuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
rrr

I'd be curious to hear other opinions of this place. We tried it once - several different flavors of the tips - and were not impressed. Did we try them too soon?
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Irrigation Guy

Default Sounds good

Any other opinions?
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
codeman671

My neighbor at the marina says that they have excellent steak, he now buys all of his meat there. I have yet to try it, we have "The Meat House" here in Dover so we usually stop here before heading north.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
fmgate

This place is excellent and worth patronizing. I first visited about a month ago. The guys behind the counter were courteous, kind, and helpful. They have a large selection of pre-marinated meats, which I think is a great idea. Who wants to sit around marinating food all day while in the Lakes Region on vacation? I purchased 1.5 lbs of their teriyaki steak tips for two people. Both of us were yearning for more after we finished them off. The chicken-basil sausage was really quite good, too. The cuts of meat they had on display looked to be of excellent quality (I neglected to look at their prices, however). The wine selection, although small, appears to be of good quality and well thought-out. Also on the shelves were condiments, crackers, chutneys, etc. They have a few beers (Samuel Smith from England), but could probably add more. Their refrigeration space is limited, so that may explain why the beer selection is somewhat paltry. I observed a small selection of prepared foods, and actually tried their baked beans. I must admit that they were some of the best I've had in my life. I highly recommend them. I was very disappointed by their cheese selection. Although they had one local product (from Sandwich Creamery), their overall selection was poor and needs a lot of work. No excuse to call yourself a gourmet store and not have representation from some of the many artisanal cheese producers in VT, NH, and Quebec.

Overall, the place is great. Needs more local products. Perhaps some New England beers that are difficult to find in Shaws or Hanaford. Definitely need more artisanal cheese, and of the unpasteurized raw milk variety. Everything else is great. I certainly will patronize them in the winter, but not everyone sees the value in spending extra on such items when similar goods (perhaps of lesser quality) can be purchased down the road at Shaws or Hannaford for less money. They fill a niche I have been hoping would be filled, but I question whether there are enough foodies in the region to keep them going in the winter. Perhaps some wine and cheese education/tasting classes will get people in the doors in February.
fmgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
RamJet

Smile Dover meat house

We buy at the Dover Meat house often. It's about 3/4 mile off of exit 9E on Rt 16. Great steak tips and steaks.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamJet
We buy at the Dover Meat house often. It's about 3/4 mile off of exit 9E on Rt 16. Great steak tips and steaks.

thats my stop on the way north just about every weekend just wish they did a bit better on there vacuum bagging I'd say once a month we get an unsealed bad of tips or chicken. One of the few places I've found you can get a dry aged steak
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
pmj

Default cost comparison?

Not having bought meats in an actual butcher shop, other than Hilltop in Saugus, I am curious at to how the prices compare to supermarkets meats?

pmj
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
Waterbaby

Default Meat House

And for those of us further south than Dover, the Meat House's latest store (and largest!) is in Exeter. Sure, prices are higher for the most part than what can be found in the supermarkets, but so is the quality........ I've mentioned to them that they should think about the Lakes Region and the suggestion was noted.
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:26 AM   #10
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmj
Not having bought meats in an actual butcher shop, other than Hilltop in Saugus, I am curious at to how the prices compare to supermarkets meats?
A little bit higher on some things, but not by much. We've tried all the chicken marinades and they're great. Tips are 7.99 / lb and Chicken is 5.99
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:31 AM   #11
EllyPoinster

Default Meat House Web Site

I'll also endorse the Meat House shops. Our last stop before heading north to the lake is often the Meat House store in Bedford, NH. The steak tips are our favorite but there is plenty of variety.

More information is available here: http://www.themeathouse.com/
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
JED

Question re:The Whineing (?spelling) Butcher

would like to find this butcher shop for my next trip up...where is it exactly?
JED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 03:31 PM   #13
RamJet

Old 08-26-2006, 04:08 AM   #14
jlrm73

Default Whineing Butcher

The shop is in the same plaza that Patrick's Pub is...next to the marina. I think the place is great! The tips, as mentioned, are great and the Key West Chicken is awesome! Great marinades, and the staff is very knowledgeable. It's too bad it isn't a little bigger, I agree with fmgate that they need a bit more "stuff". I love to see these new businesses come in to the area, and hope people check it out. It's nice to get the special attention when you have a dinner party, bbq, etc, and you aren't sure what to get, how to cook the meats, etc.
I have also heard that the new place past the Belknap Mall toward Tilton in that new strip mall is pretty good.
jlrm73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:14 PM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Another little out of the way place for great meat is the Meredith Center store just off rt 104 in Meredith.It appears to be just a convenient store/gas stations untill you see the meat display.The owner Barry used to be head meat guy at Walter's and his steaks are always excellent (he'll cut anything to order)Want 2" thick for the grill?....he'll do it.He always has at least three steak tips marinating...last time we tried the bourbon and they were fantastic.He bakes his own beans and they are to die for....a combination of lima,red kidney,pea and I don't know what else ....yummm.Barry knows meat better than anyone I've known.....durring the season he does all the local deer,moose and bear that hunters bring in.He offered me a little bear sausage once ...but I declined....told him I'm trying to cut back on the bear meat.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:33 PM   #16
Pepper

Default I second that!

SAMIAM is absolutely correct about the meats AND the beans! When Barry was at Walter's we used to buy all our meats there, and frequently indulged in those incredible beans as well. Now that I know where he's gone, I'll be making a beeline for Meredith Center! My mouth is watering already.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #17
Island Life

Thumbs up Great place

I've been visiting the Whining Butcher a few times a week since they opened on July 4th. Andy and Gretchen, the two young people who run the shop, are extremely personable and helpful. They really want to make this work and are more than willing to entertain ideas about what we as the community would like to buy from them.

Apparently they will have less ready-for-the grill type products in the winter and instead will stock more home-cooked, ready to eat foods, like lasagna, etc. Wish I was going to be around for that!

I served the burgundy steak tips and the key west marinated chicken at a party last month and it was a big hit.

If you get a chance, check them out.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:03 AM   #18
SIKSUKR

Our friends bought 20 lbs of tips and lamb for a party Saturday night from the Whining Butcher.The steak tips were great but the lamb was fabulous!I must have had 14 pieces!Yummy!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:34 PM   #19
Pepper

Default Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!

Waldo paid a visit to the Wineing Butcher this afternoon, and came away with two different types of marinaded tips, along with some nice Italian cheese.

He then went down the road to Beans and Greens for some fresh corn and tomatoes.

For dinner tonight we feasted on the afternoon's purchases, and I have to say all four of us were raving! Simply fabulous steak tips, and the cheese was divine. Paired up with some great veggies and a nice loaf of crusty bread ... perfect. We'll be making regular trips to the Wineing Butcher!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:12 AM   #20
spotsink

Wink New England directions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JED
would like to find this butcher shop for my next trip up...where is it exactly?
For those of us who do not know where Patrick's Pub and "the marina" are - can we narrow down the location of this place and/or refine the directions?

I'm guessing it must be over toward Meredith or The Wiers but really have no clue...
spotsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:19 PM   #21
Quilt Lady

Default Wow!

Tonight, DRH and I feasted on some out of this world steak tips from the Wine'ing Butcher. It's been a long time since we had anything as tasty or tender! Even my 87 year old father could have eaten them . . . they were that tender. We grilled them up and ate every bit . . . and wished we had more! We will definitely be back for more and to try other selections. The prices were reasonable for the quality of the product and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I sure hope they are here for a long time!

We'll be back!!!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:21 AM   #22
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrm73
I have also heard that the new place past the Belknap Mall toward Tilton in that new strip mall is pretty good.
I stopped in their last night and we tried some of their lemon pepper chicken. It was excellent. Its not a very big store, but they have plans to add sandwiches and soups and are definitely worth the stop, especially if your on your way up to the lake on Rt. 3.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:27 AM   #23
SIKSUKR

Patricks is right across from the Mountain View Yacht Club in Gilford right beside Rt 11 at the lights at Saywers and B-Maes.I believe its the junction of Rt11 and 11b.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #24
DRH

Thumbs up Second Visit to The Wine'ing Butcher

Just had to post an update re: The Wine'ing Butcher. QL and I stopped there again this afternoon and got three different flavors of beef tips … "Steak House", "Grillmaster", and "Teriyaki". We had a very nice chat with the owners, Andrew and Gretchen. Andrew described for us the process he uses to marinate the meat, using modern on-site equipment to ensure the marinade completely penetrates the meat. He also told us a bit about his and Gretchen's backgrounds. They just opened the shop in early July, and he said they are anxious to expand their product offerings in the near future.

Back home, we grilled the tips and (like Pepper & Waldo) rounded out the meal with corn on the cob and tomatoes from Beans & Greens. What a delicious meal! The steak tips literally melted in our mouths. The tips are currently $7.49/lb and there is absolutely no waste. On our grill, about 6 minutes per side on medium heat produced perfect (i.e. medium-rare) results.

This is an excellent new Gilford business, and QL and I are quickly in the process of becoming regular customers. Andrew and Gretchen are very friendly and anxious to answer any questions their customers may have. Next trip, I think we'll try the marinated chicken.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #25
donnamatrix

Default Location of butcher shop

It's in the same "strip mall" as Patrick's ... it's located in the building next to the Sears outlet. As you face Sears, it's to the right, kind of behind the boat dealer.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #26
Resident 2B

Default Location, Location, Location

Yes! That is exactly the location.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #27
joann721

Question Beans and Greens..

where & what is beans and greens ?
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #28
DRH

Default Excellent Farm Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann721
Beans and Greens Farmstand is located on Rt. 11B next to Dave's Motorboat Shoppe in Gilford. To get there, turn off Rt. 11 onto Rt. 11B by Sawyer's and follow the road about 3/4 mile. Their fresh produce is excellent.

Here's the link to Beans and Greens' website: http://www.beansandgreensfarm.com/
Old 09-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #29
Mee-n-Mac

Post Beans & Greens

Quote:
Originally Posted by joann721
It is a farm stand / flower place / baked goods kinda place. In addition to fresh, local produce you can buy homemade cookies, pies, brownies, etc. They also have flowers of all varieties about which I know nothing. "Mee" plans a trip there every year with the van to buy mums for her family. If you come south on 11B past Silver Sands Marina, at the intersection where Patrick's Pub is, go straight through the lights. Follow the road, bearing to the left, and maybe a 1/2 mile down the road they'll be on your left. Kinda behind Sawyers.

You can find a map at their website ... http://www.beansandgreensfarm.com/

EDIT : Looks like DRH types faster than I do !
Old 09-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #30
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
EDIT : Looks like DRH types faster than I do !
You're usually two steps ahead of me, M&M!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:22 PM   #31
gretelcakes

Thumbs up gourmet butcher shop

hey that place is FAB! They have a unique selection of wines and a great little handful of some cheeses from europe and some local artisans! I am trying some organic chicken tonight, I am sure it will be delicious!
gretelcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #32
valhala

Thumbs up Thumbs Up

Last week we tried some burgundy marinated steak tips and chicken sausages. Bother were excellent on the grill. A real nice shop on the inside, with nice staff. I hope they get enough business to stay open through the winter.
valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #33
donnamatrix

Default Whine'ing Butcher in Gilford

Incredible. Now, I am a very good cook. And I can marinate my own steak tips. BUT, whatever Andrew is doing is so much better than anything I've ever done. The steak tips are incredible. Can't wait to do the chicken. We bought some tips for friends of ours who visited for the holiday weekend. We sent them home Monday morning. They called Monday night (10/9) to politely ask if, when we come to MA next weekend for a wedding, can we PLEASE bring 5 lbs of steak tips ?? Best ever. I won't buy tips at Hannaford or anywhere anymore, only from Patrick and Gretchen.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #34
DRH

Thumbs up Chicken's Great, Too!

donnamatrix - We've had their marinated chicken several times. It's absolutely delicious! We sure hope this new business does well, as we have never before found a local shop that has beef and chicken of this quality. And as you said, their marinating technique is outstanding!

Hmmm, I wonder if Quilt Lady is planning on something from The Wine'ing Butcher tonight!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #35
codeman671

We had the teriyaki marinated tips last weekend. The overall quality of the meat was good but we were not thrilled with the marinade. The teriyaki was way too sweet, almost overpowering. Just not our taste. Honestly I think that the marinade Hannaford's uses is better, and neither compares to the meat house.

We did really like the store though and will be back this weekend to try something else.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #36
Zeke

Quick question. We went there yeterday at about 6:00PM, and they were closed. Hrs?, days?
Thanks in advance to any answers.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #37
pm203

I had their filet mignon last week. It was world class!!
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:33 AM   #38
Rayhunt

Default Butcher shop

We got a gift cert. for the wine-ing butcher by patricks..
The steakhouse tips were the best weve ever had !
Not crazy about the grillmaster marinade but the meat was very tender. Lemon pepper chicken is a 10 as well.
Great to have this shop right down the street
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 02:12 PM   #39
boathousegirl

Smile wine'ing butcher

Stopped by the wine'ing butcher on Saturday. Bought a bottle of a south african wine, some steak house tips and a bone in chicken breast and chicken stuffed with broccoli and cheese. Everything was excellent. I was very impressed with the steak house tips and the gentlemen who served me ( I presume the owner). He was very pleasant and very informative. I will certainly be frequenting the butcher shop.
boathousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:57 PM   #40
Island Girl

Wink Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH

Hmmm, I wonder if Quilt Lady is planning on something from The Wine'ing Butcher tonight!
Seems to me... if ya want something from the butcher, you could surprise Quilt Lady and do the cooking!!!!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #41
DRH

Cool Thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
Seems to me... if ya want something from the butcher, you could surprise Quilt Lady and do the cooking!!!!

IG
Most of the steak tips and chicken we've gotten from the Wine'ing Butcher have ended up on our grill ... with me doing the cooking!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #42
Island Girl

Default Excellent

I love a guy that cooks..... QL is a lucky woman!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:38 AM   #43
Quilt Lady

Default Book of the Babes

As is written in the "Book of the Babes", in the chapter titled "Guys and Dogs" . . . "Guys are like puppies, the younger you get them the easier they are to house break."

But back to the topic of food . . . the last time I stopped in, Andrew said they were soon going to start offering some new items for the colder months. When he described the Key West Chicken stuffed with long grain rice and portobello mushrooms, I started to get hungry. Can't wait to try that!!!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:11 PM   #44
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
I love a guy that cooks..... QL is a lucky woman!
...and paints, and does electrical work and plumbing, and ...QL is truly a lucky woman!

Of course, DRH is a lucky guy, too! Because he married a woman who not only makes the finest quilts, she's also pretty mean with a trim-paintbrush, and not too shabby with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, either!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:09 AM   #45
EllyPoinster

Union Leader article on the Meat House butcher shops:

http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?...4-4094ceac073a
Old 10-30-2006, 10:17 AM   #46
boathousegirl

Default back to wine'ing butcher

Went back to the shop on Saturday and tried the pork stuffed with apple and walnuts.....Popped it in the oven for 30 minutes and my husband raved about it. Amazing what good quality it is.
boathousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:55 AM   #47
hockeypuck

Default Wine'ing Butcher

I'm glad 99% of the forum posts that have tried the Wine'ing Butcher have liked it. I recently was fishing up on the Connecticut Lakes in the great north woods and on my way back home (Connecticut) I drove an hour out of my way, just to pick up some steak tips. As most everyone has stated, the quality is excellent, the owners very helpful. I knowyou can't please everyone in the food busness, and that's ok, people have different tastes. I just enjoy the convience and quality. It takes almost no time to prepare a great meal. Hope they can make it in the off season.I am frequently around the lake area and have put it on my "Must Do" list along with Pepper's,Patrick's and a few others. Just to let you know, I have no connection what so ever to the Wine'ing Butcher.
hockeypuck
hockeypuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #48
45Auto

Thumbs up Great Stuff!

I've been a regular at the Wine'ing Butcher, nothing but good stuff from there. The tips, chicken and steaks are great, but I want to tell you try smoking some of their marinated ribs...awesome!
If you don't have a smoker the oven works great, 250 degrees for about 5 hours wrapped in tinfoil, no fat just great tasting meat .
Stopped by again today, check out the new selections of stuffed chickens, chops and some very good homemade chicken cordon bleu. Gretchen and Andrew are working on some other creations for winter meals, for people who retire their grills until Spring.
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #49
Smitty1

Default Wine'ing Butcher

Nice article on the cover of the Weirs Times today about the Wine'ing Butcher. The "Forum" is mentioned as well.

I tried the House steak tips last week and they were very very good.

Great to see a young couple doing well with a new business at the Lake!

Smitty
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #50
Outlaw

Default Vino

I haven't read the article yet, so I don't know if it mentioned they have Wine Tasting on Thursday's 4 to 6 PM.

Salute!

Old 11-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #51
jetskier

Default Stopped there today

We stopped by for some chicken today. Things are a little quiet with the summer crowd gone...so let's keep patronizing them. This seems like a nice business to keep going up here.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:47 AM   #52
EllyPoinster

Story on the Wine'ing Butcher in today's New Hampshire Sunday News:

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=The+Wine'ing+Butcher+taps+go urmet+food+market&articleId=ce499b6c-5086-47a4-87e2-459e4ff1004a