Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-25-2023, 06:49 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts
Default The Best Breakfast ± One Hour Away

On Dan's recommendation, we tried Flapjacks in Lincoln, NH this morning and it was excellent. Here are my top five* breakfast restaurants within one hour of Moultonborough.

Please add yours!

* I consider a good restaurant one that offers something special beyond basic breakfast food. This could be "platters" that excel in variety or volume, special flavored options, unique areas or buildings or approaches, etc.

1st (tied). Benton's (especially autumn) & Ames Farm (lake view/classic building)
3. Flapjacks
4th (tied). Polly's Pancakes & Heritage Farm
5. The Bay Diner (by boat)

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 08:57 PM   #2
TheTimeTraveler

Village Kitchen in Moultonborough is on my list as offering one of the best breakfast........
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (01-18-2024), Heaven (10-01-2023), LoveLakeLife (08-26-2023), Shreddy (12-13-2023), TCC (12-06-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 11:28 PM   #3
GusMan

Default Breakfast!

Sounds like a hit parade for pancakes!

I'm a savory kind of breakfast guy...

I have a camper in Milton NH, so some of my suggestions are a bit distant.

Village kitchen..... one of my favorite breakfast places ever. First, the service is absolutely fantastic... friendly hard working staff. Nothing crazy, Great home fries, biscuits and gravy.. I believe they used to have homemade roast beef hash... but that was a while ago (do I remember correctly Samiam?).

George's diner in Merideth... an institution. Breakfast burritos, steak tips.. and the unique side? Red flannel hash... veggie goodness that's sweet and savory.

Water Street Cafe... Lake Winnisquam... how about some Benedicts? Prime rib? Pulled pork? no Problem.

Want to get your game on? The Farmer's Kitchen in Farmington has the Foreman's omelet, 4 eggs and more meat and veggies than necessary!

Finally, one of my favorites... Little Miss Sophie's in Rochester. Home made corned beef hash (with CB, onions, potatoes, carrots, cabbage... like leftover corned beef boiled dinner!), great biscuits and gravy, chicken and waffles... house made pulled pork benedict.

Oh... and I'm sure the pancakes are pretty good at all these places... just needs real maple syrup.

Cheers... Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GusMan For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (08-26-2023), SAMIAM (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 05:05 AM   #4
jeffk

Lino's in Wakefield/Sanbornville.
For most places, the reviews say "they have the best THIS or THAT" but every component at Lino's was delicious. Great coffee, muffins, meats, omelet components, etc. My wife an I shared tastes of everything we had and agreed it was very tasty. Obviously with one visit we didn't get to try everything but we are looking forward to our next visit. Good service too.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 07:36 AM   #5
FlyingScot

When my daughter was a tween/teen, I would drive us 45 minutes for pizza at Regina's in Boston. Year later, she wrote me a note or maybe a birthday card saying she loved my passion for pursuing great food--spending an extra hour or more in the car because local pizza would not do.

An hour each way for breakfast? I love your passion, Think!

Village Kitchen

Farmer's Kitchen, Farmington
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2023, 08:47 AM   #6
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

another vote for Farmer's Kitchen https://farmerskitchen-nh.com/

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 09:04 AM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
another vote for Farmer's Kitchen https://farmerskitchen-nh.com/

I loved the Farmer's Kitchen when it was in Wolfeboro and, in fact, kept The Bay Diner on my list because the last time we were there they'd kept most of TFK's stuff.

Heaven (01-03-2024)
Old 08-26-2023, 09:13 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
When my daughter was a tween/teen, I would drive us 45 minutes for pizza at Regina's in Boston. Year later, she wrote me a note or maybe a birthday card saying she loved my passion for pursuing great food--spending an extra hour or more in the car because local pizza would not do.

An hour each way for breakfast? I love your passion, Think!

Village Kitchen

Farmer's Kitchen, Farmington
Back in 2000, my mentor professor mentioned getting "New York Coffees" a couple times in class, but it always seemed more complex than a simple style choice, so I asked him about it one day.

He said a "New York Coffee" is when he and his wife would take "Elvira," his blacked-out 90's Chevrolet Impala SS, to New York City for a coffee...because it was the best coffee and the best place to have a coffee.

I was weirded out that someone would drive 4 hours for a coffee, but not long after that my then girlfriend/now wife drove through Smuggler's Notch (from Northern MA) to grab lunch from a Chinese restaurant we really loved when she was at Johnson State.

These days, if not hitting up a destination restaurant—The Old Salt, Tuckaway, Brown's, etc.—we have the kiddos choose a mark on the compass rose, drive an hour or two, and begin to look for places with good ratings. Great adventures (and food)!

FlyingScot (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 07:02 PM   #9
Bittz

Here, here to the Farmers Kitchen! Margaret’s Kitchen in Sanborton also has some good pancakes too!
Bittz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 07:33 PM   #10
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittz View Post
Here, here to the Farmers Kitchen! Margaret’s Kitchen in Sanborton also has some good pancakes too!
MK = the BEST chicken and waffles.

Old 08-28-2023, 07:58 AM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

If you are willing to travel and want a good breakfast, there is always Polly's Pancake Parlor up in sugar hill....I always enjoyed eating their all though have to admit I haven't been in a while....
Old 08-28-2023, 09:13 AM   #12
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
If you are willing to travel and want a good breakfast, there is always Polly's Pancake Parlor up in sugar hill....I always enjoyed eating their all though have to admit I haven't been in a while....
Polly's was in my original list. I gotta be honest, though—we're starting to get priced out there, so it may slide off the list...

Old 08-28-2023, 10:22 AM   #13
The Real BigGuy

Friendly Toast in Portsmouth. Breakfast all day long!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 01:25 PM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Something around an hour from Laconia, not Moultonborough: Chez Vachon on Kelly St in West Manchester.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (12-08-2023), KPW (12-10-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 02:56 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Blue Bistro

Blue Bistro now serves a great breakfast! Check it out!
Old 12-06-2023, 12:37 PM   #16
retired

Default Margarets Kitchen

Our favorite is Margarets Kitchen in Winnisquam. Best eggs benedict we've had anywhere. Pancakes are fantastic also. They have half portions if you're not that hungry.
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 12:49 PM   #17
LoveLakeLife

Where exactly is Margaret’s in Winnisquam?

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:39 PM   #18
NH.Solar

Polly's Pancakes ...a bit of a tourist driven venue, but still in my mind the best possible view to be had in NH and worth every overpriced ever penny spent for a simple pricey breakfast! This is as close to the magnificent views in Switzerland as can be had in the US. If you have never been there be sure to put it on your immediate bucket list.
Before settling in to Polly's for a tasty brunch however be sure to detour up onto the Lovers Lane Loop above Polly's, it is truly breath taking!
Two other nearby ventures would be to go to Harmon's in "downtown" Sugar Hill and to drive uo toward the Sunset Hill House. Harmon's has aged cheddar cheese that is to die for, but way more than you think you should for it will be a treat and all too soon gone. Bring it out for a dinner party and watch how soon its gone!
The road up toward the magnificent Sunset Hill House used to have an absolutely magnificent view, but it was ruined about ten years ago when the lupin fields facing the Notch side were sold off. The Town had a first right of refusal to buy that considerable acerage for about $300K, but foolishly never exercised the option ...and now that wonderful view is forever ruined by new homes. One of them in particular is truly horrendous and looks like a concrete bomb shelter, but I can't blame the new homeowners for their questionable ideas of beauty. The Town of Franconia however was incredibly stupid in letting this debacle happen and will hopefuly learn from the mistake before the rest of this alpine paradise is developed.
I owned a lot on Sunset Hill Road and it was intended to be the site of my final home and resting place, but I sold it immediately when I learned of the the Town of Franconia's error ...and have luckily landed on an even more fortunate bit of paradise in New Hampton.
If you have never taken the short drive up to Franconia or better yet stayed overnight at the Sunset Hill house, make it a priority!
Old 12-08-2023, 07:55 AM   #19
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Where exactly is Margaret’s in Winnisquam?

Right next to the Winnisquam Bridge. It used to be called Katie and Flo's I believe.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 08:21 AM   #20
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Right next to the Winnisquam Bridge. It used to be called Katie and Flo's I believe.
We used to go to Katie Flo's all the time when my kids were little. My father in-law had a place over there near Winnisquam. Good to know it's still going strong.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:27 AM   #21
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Something around an hour from Laconia, not Moultonborough: Chez Vachon on Kelly St in West Manchester.
Yes! Poutine for breakfast is the best! Not an egg guy myself…😣
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:55 AM   #22
trashman

I've always loved George's Diner. It's consistently good, and the wait staff has always been friendly and quick.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trashman For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-17-2023), Billy Bob (12-25-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 11:52 AM   #23
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Farmers Kitchen

Two big thumbs up for the Farmers Kitchen in Farmington!

We went yesterday morning and everything was great! The place was packed but we got seated in just a couple minutes by the waitstaff. That place runs like a well oiled machine! The food and service were just stellar!

It was a pleasure watching all the young waitstaff working so diligently to keep things moving and customers happy. Kudos to them all!

Dan
Old 12-17-2023, 04:33 PM   #24
camp guy

Default Best Beakfast +- One Hour Away

My wife and I have been there many times, we agree with you completely. We were very happy when they opened a "branch" in Wolfeboro, but very sad when they decided to close. However, the successor to Farmers Kitchen Wolfeboro is the Bay Diner and they are doing a great job.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Heaven (01-03-2024)
Old 12-18-2023, 08:34 AM   #25
whalebackpoint'r

New in Bristol is Odysea Coffee, great place for breakfast and lunch. Check them out at: https://www.facebook.com/OdyseaCoffee/
whalebackpoint'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 04:01 PM   #26
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalebackpoint'r View Post
New in Bristol is Odysea Coffee, great place for breakfast and lunch. Check them out at: https://www.facebook.com/OdyseaCoffee/
My wife and I stopped in to “Odysea” this morning on our way to exchange a granddaughter’s Christmas gift.
Nice remodel from being a pawn shop, lots of space and tables…kind of a hipster/yuppie/internet cafe vibe as I would expect a “latte” shop to be?
People lounging around with their faces glued to their “mobile devices” and such…
Stood in line to order and each had picked a breakfast them from the menu (which is an electronic board on the wall) got to the counter and stated our desires but the guy behind the counter said kind of sheepishly, “we’re sort of on lunch now” (10:45 am)! Okay….back to the menu board and each chose a lunch item with an accompanying latte (which I have never had but wifey often gets at Dunkin’s) pay for the stuff and wife gets a table while I wait at counter.
After 10 minutes I decide to go sit and wait with my lady….another 10 min and our lunches come out delivered by a nice smiling lady…meanwhile various customers are being called to get their drinks back at the counter. Started on our sandwiches which looked and were very good (what seemed like a fresh baked sandwich roll with seemingly, homemade potato chips on the side. Wife’s name finally called for the lattes which she went to get. Overall. A nice friendly atmosphere and an attentive lady (possible owner?) that delivered food and checked on us while she strolled around the room, always smiling.
Nice place if you want a change of pace with normal breakfast places. As a side note, I don’t eat eggs so I have to do “sides” at breakfast. Not much for me except a bagel as all the breakfast items included eggs. No problem though, as I’m used to this. Probably won’t go back but not because it wasn’t good. Just not this ol’ fart’s bag, as they say.😊
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
barsully (01-11-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 06:00 PM   #27
Heaven

I had the best Corned Beef Hash eggs benedict ever, (and I've ordered that most everywhere), at Two Loons Cafe in Wakefield

Last edited by Heaven; 01-03-2024 at 07:53 PM.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:47 PM   #28
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Stopped in to Margaret’s Kitchen this morning. All new inside and a great breakfast with “from scratch” selections! Coffee in their beefy, mugs is self serve and bottomless cup! We bought a couple of their beefy mugs to go! A winner!
Old 01-05-2024, 09:37 AM   #29
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Stopped in to Margaret’s Kitchen this morning. All new inside and a great breakfast with “from scratch” selections! Coffee in their beefy, mugs is self serve and bottomless cup! We bought a couple of their beefy mugs to go! A winner!
Is this the place on Route 3/11 on the righthand side of the road past Mosquito Bridge? I think it used to be Flo's Kitchen. If so, we will have to check it out.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:15 AM   #30
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Six of us went to Polly’s on December 26th on our way to Quebec for our annual and quick 4 day vacation.

We normally go to FlapJacks but they are not open on Tuesdays and Polly’s was. We arrived at 7:00 AM when they opened and were the only ones there…. All agreed food was OK and service was excellent but more of a tourist attraction than anything else…. Going forward we will be going back to FlapJacks!

Dan
Old 01-05-2024, 02:09 PM   #31
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Is this the place on Route 3/11 on the righthand side of the road past Mosquito Bridge? I think it used to be Flo's Kitchen. If so, we will have to check it out.
That’s the place!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Major (01-06-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 12:50 PM   #32
retired

Default Margarets Kitchen

The owner Dustin is the cook and takes great pride in what he serves. It shows in the quality of ingredients and how delicious everything is.
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to retired For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 08:08 AM   #33
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Taste of legacy Cafe

https://www.tolcafeandcatering.com/

New in the area. Refreshing vibe and rotating menu. Located across the street from the Margate.
Biggd (01-27-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 04:44 PM   #34
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
New in the area. Refreshing vibe and rotating menu. Located across the street from the Margate.
Nice!

The "comfort bowls" they list on the menu look..."comforting."