Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
SaukeeToMe

Lightbulb Heavy Barging to Islands

I'm starting to consider a structural improvement (stabilization) project for my camp on Rattlesnake Island. In exploring my options I want to understand more about barging equipment and materials out to Rattlesnake. In the least I foresee needing a bunch of concrete and likely some crushed stone for drainage improvements.

What if I wanted to get a truckload of concrete to the island?
Is there a barge on the lake that can haul a 70k lb load? All I can find is that 30k lbs appears to be the max from https://www.lakelifeservicesnh.com/winni-works-barge

What does it cost to get a barge to Rattlesnake from West Alton?

Any advice or warnings or perspective on Island construction and materials/equipment transport is much appreciated. Obviously, on an island less is more, but 'something' is still necessary.

Thanks.
SaukeeToMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We often see Island Service Company barges go by Welch with heavy equipment. A few years ago they barged a septic pumping truck over here. I have never seen a cement mix truck on a barge if that is what you are looking for. Most Island cement is mixed on site They do have a large brge:

https://www.islandservicecompany.com/equipment.htm
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
fatlazyless

East Coast Foundation in Moultonborough has a mini-mixer cement truck and a small concrete pump on a trailer intended for island work.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
Barney Bear

Default Bigger is Better

Island Service Company in Meredith has a huge 40' barge the should be able to do this job. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

We're currently using Island Construction for major dock repairs (Once every 60 years level, remove concrete docks and replace.) Last year, they did some major structural work on the camp. Very versatile group. They also do open/close, electrical and plumbing. We're pleased with their work. Point is, we looked for somebody to do the types of work we need, rather than looking for a barge. Most companies that do major island projects have their own solutions for different types of work.

Island Construction
209 Stage Rd
Sanbornton, NH 03269 US
603-387-4992
Island_construction@icloud.com
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-23-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #6
winni83

Looks like a big truck on this barge. Photo came from the I Boat on Lake Winnipesaukee FB page.
Attached Images

winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
mswlogo (07-23-2020), Top-Water (07-23-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 05:26 AM   #7
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaukeeToMe View Post
I'm starting to consider a structural improvement (stabilization) project for my camp on Rattlesnake Island. In exploring my options I want to understand more about barging equipment and materials out to Rattlesnake. In the least I foresee needing a bunch of concrete and likely some crushed stone for drainage improvements.

What if I wanted to get a truckload of concrete to the island?
Is there a barge on the lake that can haul a 70k lb load? All I can find is that 30k lbs appears to be the max from https://www.lakelifeservicesnh.com/winni-works-barge

What does it cost to get a barge to Rattlesnake from West Alton?

Any advice or warnings or perspective on Island construction and materials/equipment transport is much appreciated. Obviously, on an island less is more, but 'something' is still necessary.

Thanks.
When we started building, we had a lot of barge deliveries. I seem to remember a 300 dollar per hour charge, from the time the barge left it's marina, til the time it returned. That was 15 years ago...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
When we started building, we had a lot of barge deliveries. I seem to remember a 300 dollar per hour charge, from the time the barge left it's marina, til the time it returned. That was 15 years ago...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I found your answer interesting because when we had a house on an island in 1984 I seem to remember $300 an hour.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Default ..... the $3.58 solution.

For $3.58 you can purchase a sturdy 50-lb paper sack of Quikrete high strength concrete mix at Lowe's ........ boat it out to your island on your own boat ...... and get to work.

No need to build concrete forms ....... just position the 50-lb bags into an overlapping formation or wall ...... rip-rap style ...... soak em good with the garden hose ..... and 24-hours later ...... you got concrete set in place to keep everything from rolling down the slope, and into the lake ...... or something. .... :rolleye2

To actually make this work, you need to soak the paper bags till very wet so the water really soaks through the paper, and into the concrete mix. Is not as effective as placing the bags underwater, into the lake, because all the dry concrete does not get totally soaked.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default What kind of "Barge"

Hourly rate alone can be deceptive. Barge work could be to carry heavy equipment, 2-3 kts. an LST at 10 kts or an old pontoon at 15 kts. And (is she still around?) the Kitty Belle, a sidewheeler built for shallow draft and truck drive through ramps, like a ferry.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-30-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #11
NH.Solar

That's Watermark Construction shown in Winni83's photo, they're out of Gilford. You might also contact Ambrose Marine in Meredith as they aren't that far away. Jim Bean in Tuftonboro also has a very large steel barge.
Two points to bear in mind, first all of these guys are extremely busy this time of year so you will likely have to book w-a-y ahead.
And two, these are extremely heavy rigs and they can't be stopped or turned without going a very long distance, steer clear and always grant them the right of way!
Old 07-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #12
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Hourly rate alone can be deceptive. Barge work could be to carry heavy equipment, 2-3 kts. an LST at 10 kts or an old pontoon at 15 kts. And (is she still around?) the Kitty Belle, a sidewheeler built for shallow draft and truck drive through ramps, like a ferry.
Kitty Belle is still going strong. I think they had a new bottom put on her last winter or the winter before that. She’s a workhorse.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #13
jazzman

When we were looking for a house, I think every house we looked at on the east side of Rattlesnake had bad foundation piers. I saw more than one with bags of cement piled around the piers making things worse. I never priced it, but this has to be a big expense to fix
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:24 AM   #14
CaptT820

Default Concrete Delivery

There are several companies out there that produce on demand concrete and have trucks that only begin mixing the ingredients to produce concrete when they reach the job site. Not sure on truck weight or barge capability, but this may be an option. All the big concrete companies offer concrete mixes that involve a retarder of some sort to allow the mix a longer hold time so it doesnt set up before it reaches the job, this is probably a good option for an island. Best days to order a concrete truck for this type of project would be when the weather is cloudy and the temperature is between 55 and 70.
CaptT820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #15
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT820 View Post
There are several companies out there that produce on demand concrete and have trucks that only begin mixing the ingredients to produce concrete when they reach the job site. Not sure on truck weight or barge capability, but this may be an option. All the big concrete companies offer concrete mixes that involve a retarder of some sort to allow the mix a longer hold time so it doesnt set up before it reaches the job, this is probably a good option for an island. Best days to order a concrete truck for this type of project would be when the weather is cloudy and the temperature is between 55 and 70.
Agreed as a former concrete producer for 30+ years. On site or “batch mobiles” do not produce a quality product. Any on the larger producers can easily “retard” the concrete to give ample time for transportation to an island. I have developed mixes for WTC that were retarded for over 8 hours with great success.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote