Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
daveschappell

Default Survey of Dock and Valet Costs around the lake

Since people ask about Dock & Valet availability and prices around the lake every so often, I thought it could be useful if people would share what they're seeing in various locations?

Someone mentioned Melvin Village's Valet costs are going up 10% in 2021, but I didn't see any cost.

Any ideas in Wolfeboro? Meredith? Alton?

Please include (a) location (b) type of service (valet/dock) (c) cost (assume it could be based on length of boat?)

Thanks!
daveschappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Akwa Marina is 240.00 per foot but it gives you access to the beach and pool also

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
daveschappell (12-19-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 09:10 AM   #3
daveschappell

Default West Alton Marina

It looks like West Alton Marina's rates for a 'dock' start at $155/foot

https://westaltonmarina.com/rates
Old 12-19-2020, 11:15 AM   #4
birchhaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveschappell View Post
It looks like West Alton Marina's rates for a 'dock' start at $155/foot

https://westaltonmarina.com/rates
Looks like they require winter storage. So for shore power it is some where between 215 and 244ish
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #5
daveschappell

Default Google Doc listing all Winnipesaukee Dock, Mooring and Valet Rates

Just FYI that I've pulled together a Google Doc to try to gather (and keep current) Dock/Valet/Mooring prices around Lake Winnipesaukee. If you have suggestions for edits, please message me, post to this thread, or add comments in the Google Doc -- you do that by Right-Clicking on the cell you want to comment on. NOTE: I think most of the rates in the Google Doc are for 2020; so I hope to edit in coming weeks as new rates are posted & shared.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveschappell For This Useful Post:
mswlogo (02-06-2021), Overlake97 (02-07-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #6
Mink Islander

Default Fire

Wasn’t that at Meredith Marina, not Mountain View YC?

Sheps is charging $3,000 for a slip this year.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
daveschappell (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #7
daveschappell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post

I updated that in the Google Doc -- going forward, when I've made edits, I'll just 'THANK' the commenter once I've made edits. I'll only reply if I need clarification. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2021, 02:07 PM   #8
daveschappell

Quote:
Oh, the fire -- I thought it said it was Mountain View on this thread:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=25975
Old 02-04-2021, 06:00 PM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Irwin manages Mountain View YC for the owners. Pricing for slips there will have no relationship to what is charged at other Irwin owned or managed facilities. The slip prices at MVYC vary based upon the size and location of the slip and what each owner wants to get for rent.

That number, plus Irwins commission is what you will pay.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #10
WinnisquamZ

The prices appear to be the highest I have ever seen

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
daveschappell (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 06:16 PM   #11
daveschappell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Irwin manages Mountain View YC for the owners. Pricing for slips there will have no relationship to what is charged at other Irwin owned or managed facilities. The slip prices at MVYC vary based upon the size and location of the slip and what each owner wants to get for rent.

That number, plus Irwins commission is what you will pay.
Thanks -- I just couldn't find a website for them, so until I have a chance to call (and get an answer or a return phone call, which I haven't had luck with anywhere lately!), I just don't have any actual costs to include. If you have any, I'd appreciate that info (and I'll update the Google Doc).
Old 02-04-2021, 07:11 PM   #12
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Private Condo vs commercial marina

The Google doc lists MVYC which is a private condo association, but does not list places like Spinnaker Cove, Glendale YC or Gilford YC. None of these places are the same as a commercial marina. There is a great variation in facilities and services which affects sales prices, and, as noted by others, the rents are between private parties, not set rate per foot. Irwin Of Winnipesaukee, a related RE firm does offer some services, but I would not expect them to reveal or publish private information from their client services. WCYC is also a club, with a unique set of operating parameters. Harilla ? Paugus Bay Marina? Lakeport Landing?
Trying to summarize all the variables is a monumental task. Bravo for taking on the challenge.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #13
daveschappell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The Google doc lists MVYC which is a private condo association, but does not list places like Spinnaker Cove, Glendale YC or Gilford YC. None of these places are the same as a commercial marina. There is a great variation in facilities and services which affects sales prices, and, as noted by others, the rents are between private parties, not set rate per foot. Irwin Of Winnipesaukee, a related RE firm does offer some services, but I would not expect them to reveal or publish private information from their client services. WCYC is also a club, with a unique set of operating parameters. Harilla ? Paugus Bay Marina? Lakeport Landing?
Trying to summarize all the variables is a monumental task. Bravo for taking on the challenge.
I'll do the best I can -- so any specifics, phone numbers, etc would be appreciated. At the end of the day, it'll maybe be a useful tool for consumers looking for options, and also for owners of Slips/Docks, Valet, Moorings to know what the market rates are around the lake.

And I'm sure I missed marinas and other options -- I assembled this, as a starting point, by just searching Google Maps for 'marinas on Lake Winnipesaukee' -- so I'd be happy to add others, with info as good as I can get it.

PS I'm on the Board of Governors at WCYC, and figured I'd put this together so that I knew where our rates stood. We know that we're "below market", but our members also pay the sizable membership & annual fee to get access to that benefit. But still, we wanted to make sure that all of our water access methods are getting similar discounts to market rates.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #14
TiltonBB

Default Mvyc

You can call the MVYC office directly at 603-293-0059. That office is staffed by people on Irwin's payroll.

However, in past years Carol Downing in the Irwin Laconia office has handled MVYC slip sales and rentals. 603-287-1929.

There is no contractual requirement that slip owners use Irwin for sales or rentals. Many people handle their own rentals and avoid paying a commission to Irwin to rent their slip. At one time about half the slips at Mountain View were not used by owners but were occupied by renters. I do not know what that number is now.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:26 PM   #15
Descant

Default Accuracy of info?

I would not expect a rental agent at any marina or RE agency to disclose private information. If owners and renters want to tell us what they charge/pay, that's OK, but I would not want my paid agent, who works for me, to publish that info. I encourage Ms. Doiwney, if that's the person, to maintain her private relationship with clients whether they are renters or tenants. I'm not sure why MVYC is the subject when there are several other YC's in similar positions. We should respect their privacy. If Tilton BB is a member of any such organization, he is free to disclose whatever is known to him personally. Otherwise, encouraging members to harass (bad word, I admit) employees of a a management company seeking private information is inappropriate.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:02 AM   #16
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I would not expect a rental agent at any marina or RE agency to disclose private information. If owners and renters want to tell us what they charge/pay, that's OK, but I would not want my paid agent, who works for me, to publish that info.
So when someone calls the office of any marina and asks the rental agent (your "paid agent") if they have slips available and how much they are you want the marina to say "We have some but the slip number and price is a secret?" Since slip prices and locations within a facility vary in size and desirability that just wouldn't work.

The amount a slip renter is asking is not a secret. The office, or Carol Downing in this situation, needs to disclose the asking price and location within the facility of any individual available slip at MVYC when someone calls and inquires about a slip rental. Otherwise how would they ever rent slips?

Daveschappell asked for contact information to add to his list. He is free to call and ask what slips are available and what the asking rent or sale price is. That may help someone wishing to rent a slip, either a renter or an owner. In different times and a slower economy 10 to 15 slips were vacant for the entire summer at MVYC.

Mountain View has the largest number of rental slips on the lake so the pricing there may be helpful to anyone wishing to rent one there or anywhere on the lake.

Purchase prices are a matter of public record since they are recorded at the Belknap County Registry of Deeds and also listed on the Gilford Assessors website.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #17
daveschappell

Quote:
So when someone calls the office of any marina and asks the rental agent (your "paid agent") if they have slips available and how much they are you want the marina to say "We have some but the slip number and price is a secret?" Since slip prices and locations within a facility vary in size and desirability that just wouldn't work.

The amount a slip renter is asking is not a secret. The office, or Carol Downing in this situation, needs to disclose the asking price and location within the facility of any individual available slip at MVYC when someone calls and inquires about a slip rental. Otherwise how would they ever rent slips?

Daveschappell asked for contact information to add to his list. He is free to call and ask what slips are available and what the asking rent or sale price is. That may help someone wishing to rent a slip, either a renter or an owner. In different times and a slower economy 10 to 15 slips were vacant for the entire summer at MVYC.

Mountain View has the largest number of rental slips on the lake so the pricing there may be helpful to anyone wishing to rent one there or anywhere on the lake.

Purchase prices are a matter of public record since they are recorded at the Belknap County Registry of Deeds and also listed on the Gilford Assessors website.
Again, I doubt I'll get perfect information from everyone; but I thought it would be broadly useful for people, to get a sense of possibilities. And my hunch is that the marinas themselves will also find it very useful, and will save everyone from having to do all of the surveys themselves.

Another obvious point is that location is a big driver here; the cost of a dock in Alton isn't really a perfect proxy if you live on the other end of the lake. But hopefully some folks find it useful. I've gotten a few inputs (Akwa, Goodhue in Wolfeboro and 1-2 others) and have made a few edits. Plus I broke out the "Private Marinas" a little bit better than they were initially.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend -- the Broads are officially now a frozen tundra!
Old 02-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #18
Descant

Quote:

Obviously, you're right and I agree. I was trying to say something different and I guess I didn't say it very well. Not worth chasing now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (02-06-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #19
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:

Aren't they also forcing you to do winter storage and winterization services too or else you loose your slip? Neither of those are cheap either.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #20
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Aren't they also forcing you to do winter storage and winterization services too or else you loose your slip? Neither of those are cheap either.
Lots of reports of this on the iboat Facebook page.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:51 AM   #21
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Lots of reports of this on the iboat Facebook page.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I don't do facebook so don't know but I do have friends that valet there and they were forced to keep their boat there for the winter or loose their spot. It was funny the way that notification was worded they got - not that they may loose it, but would loose it. Sheps\Goodhue must have a heck of a waiting list or don't believe this will effect their business negatively.

I want to say their annual cost valet, storage and basic winterization is about 6K for a 20' bowrider. I would expect that a wet slip would be a little more.

It's a significant added cost being it's an all or nothing thing.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Garcia (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 11:48 AM   #22
daveschappell

Quote:
I don't do facebook so don't know but I do have friends that valet there and they were forced to keep their boat there for the winter or loose their spot. It was funny the way that notification was worded they got - not that they may loose it, but would loose it. Sheps\Goodhue must have a heck of a waiting list or don't believe this will effect their business negatively.

I want to say their annual cost valet, storage and basic winterization is about 6K for a 20' bowrider. I would expect that a wet slip would be a little more.

One of the marinas told me that they stopped their wait list once it crossed more than 200 boaters, and I know that our wait list at Wolfeboro Corinthian Yacht Club is near or above 50 (and we had almost no redemptions this year, which is also not normal). Demand is far exceeding supply, so you likely know what's to come with regard to costs around the lake :-(
Old 02-07-2021, 02:26 PM   #23
Garcia

Quote:

My slip at Sheps was more than $3000 - closer to $4000. Yes, they require boat storage over the winter which is an added cost. The island property is used pretty consistently ice in to ice out with family members coming and going all hours of the day and night, different days of the week from different locations. The slip is part of the annual cost of the property. Without a slip, we would have to significantly alter the way we choose to enjoy the island. Cost is a concern but one that can be budgeted for. The bigger concern is how long they will keep offering slips. The waiting list is long and each of the past two years they have taken slips away so they can increase their rental fleet. I have no complaints about Sheps; all the owners, going back to Shep himself, have been good to our family. I hope they continue to see slips for island residents as an important part of their business.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:55 PM   #24
Mink Islander

Default Sheps

Interesting. My R5 is 25+ ft but is in one of the slips on the backside on the left with a piling separating me from a boat on the other side. Tight fit beam-wise but works. You have one of the bigger outer slips or other true “single” slips on the gas dock side?

We don’t go back to the original Shep’s era having started in the 90’s at Shep’s so are on our 3rd owners at this point. No complaints other than I wish they’d kept Chris and Steve in service. They were awesome. But I have to mention that the fall before last I needed urgently to get back out to the island for something after both boats had been pulled. They splashed my Whaler for me and re-winterized it at no additional charge.

I too am hopeful they will continue to support the islanders. Rentals have become a huge business everywhere it seems. I just hope that market gets saturated. I predict another crazy COVID summer in 2021, but rental demand may cool off once other vacation options return. Time will tell.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
Descant (02-07-2021), MBNeckguy (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 10:57 PM   #25
Descant

Default Fay's

I'm not a regular Fay's customer, but they support islanders without hesitation. Even once when I walked in with a problem--they solved it, "renting" me a boat for a quick run out and back. Don't know if Jeff will do that, but Merrill knew me as an old time islander.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:39 PM   #26
cyberz51

Default slip $$$

gilford yacht club is $5500 to 6000 for slip and winter storage
cyberz51 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cyberz51 For This Useful Post:
daveschappell (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #27
Descant

Default Welcome

Welcome to the Forum. Thanks for your good info about Gilford YC
Old 02-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #28
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Ambrose

Ambrose Cove will be around 155/ foot for wet slip. I cant put my hand on the invoice but it was 4200 give or take a few dollars for our 26.5' boat- that they rounded to 27'
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
daveschappell (02-16-2021)