Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
CateP

Default Planning a 4-Day Boat Vacation on the Lake

Hi there.
We just bought a beautiful (new to us) sail boat that we would like to take on a 4-day trip on the lake. Our home port is Wolfeboro and we are looking for places where we can stay overnight on the lake. We are thinking there may be spots at marinas or maybe some owners who have lakefront property that would be willing to let us anchor and tie a line to their shore for the night. (indicating we have permission to be there)

We know we can't just drop the anchor any ole' place and stay overnight, but maybe we can find a way to spend 4 glorious days on our boat on the lake.

Ideas, advice and invitations MOST welcome.
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Hi there.
We just bought a beautiful (new to us) sail boat that we would like to take on a 4-day trip on the lake. Our home port is Wolfeboro and we are looking for places where we can stay overnight on the lake. We are thinking there may be spots at marinas or maybe some owners who have lakefront property that would be willing to let us anchor and tie a line to their shore for the night. (indicating we have permission to be there)

We know we can't just drop the anchor any ole' place and stay overnight, but maybe we can find a way to spend 4 glorious days on our boat on the lake.

Sounds like a ball. I hope you get a bunch of fabulous ideas as to where to tie up for the evenings. When you start your fun filled 4 days, keep us posted as to how your sailing adventure is going.
Best of luck
Old 06-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
Dave R

That's an incredibly illegal thing you want to do. Thank God our legislature has passed laws to protect the public from the likes of you!

Seriously, I hope you can find places to spend the night and have a great time. Do you have a rough idea of a route?
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Dad sold the C * C

It's a shame you can't "over-night" any more. Some of my nicer memories as an adult were weekends spent on a friend's sail boat in Buzzards Bay. Sailing in the sun, then enjoying dinner at anchor looking at a "different" sunset than the previous night. ( I try to not remember the creeping back to home port in fog, getting a 40' sailboat in the middle of a small boat race in the middle of woods hole or (the funniest). All on board wake up from afternoon naps to a bump, bump ... Oops that tide thing always confused me, fortunately the boat used Lee boards and was designed to go aground. But honestly, I smile at all of these now.

I hope the two of you fully enjoy "Reliance", some things won't seem funny at the time, but later they draw the biggest laughs.

I would offer our shoreline, . But we are on Winnisquam . Now if you find the old secret canal . ...... Sail on over
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
gillygirl

I seem to remember reading in a thread that Fay's Boatyard in Gilford has transient slips.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
Hi there.

Hi Cate,
I have several options for your overnight stays. PM me, text, or call.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
CateP (06-22-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
ApS

Wink IF the Winds be Fair...that is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Hi Cate,
I have several options for your overnight stays. PM me, text, or call.
Ditto.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
CateP (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
Rich

I think we should start contacting NH legislators and get them to repeal the 'no overnight' law.

With all boats requiring holding tanks, speed limits on the lake, and a host of other reasons, there no longer is any need for this old useless law any more.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (06-22-2014), Dave R (06-22-2014), HellRaZoR004 (06-22-2014)
Old 06-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I hate to say it but if this was ever allowed again I can see all sorts of problems coming of it. Parties that go all night long, drinking, loud music, obnoxious behavior... and who's going to keep it all under control the MP? At all hours of the night? Sadly it's the few that ruin it for everyone. Not to say that everyone is like that but enough are and for that reason alone I can't see that law ever being overturned.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #10
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I hate to say it but if this was ever allowed again I can see all sorts of problems coming of it. Parties that go all night long, drinking, loud music, obnoxious behavior... and who's going to keep it all under control the MP? At all hours of the night? Sadly it's the few that ruin it for everyone. Not to say that everyone is like that but enough are and for that reason alone I can't see that law ever being overturned.
Especially if our buddy who lives on the lake wins the governors office. He wouldn't like people camping out in front of his place.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #11
corollaman

What about the people who spend the night on the boats in the marina docks? Is that illegal too?
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:00 AM   #12
jrc

This is the law that stops overnight anchoring. It allows boats ties to shore, which includes docks. For enforcement purposes the MP considers just about any boat a houseboat.

270-A:2 Where Overnight Mooring Permitted. – A houseboat may be beached or grounded, or tied to the shore of any of the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period, or any part of an overnight period, only when on or at a location owned, leased, or otherwise under the control of the owner or operator of the houseboat or by permission of the owner, lessee, or person otherwise in control of such location. An unoccupied houseboat may be anchored on the inland surface waters of the state for an overnight period, or any part of an overnight period, only in an area reasonably adjacent to a location owned, leased, or otherwise under the control of the owner or operator of the houseboat or by permission of the owner, lessee, or person otherwise in control of such location.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:33 AM   #13
Justenuff

Default Perhaps an Option

My wife and I did something like this a few years ago on our boat on the lake. It was a lot of fun, and we were respectful of the owners, because we knew them.
As an option, why not get a few of the Forum members to get an "overnight club" started where you could visit other's docks, moorings and spend a night.
The key is to trust the people who are in the club.

I am continuing to do this where I live now, we can sail all day and then tie up at a friend's place at night. We have a small circle of friends who do the same thing, sometimes using my dockspace when I am out. Sure eliminates the fees and hassles of anchoring somewhere it is legal, and we get to see our friends.
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #14
Dave R

Quote:
It's legal in all the NH neighboring states and not a problem at all. It's also legal in NH coastal waters and again, not a problem at all. I've done it several times in in ME, NY and MA, in big groups of boats, small groups of boats, and just my boat. It's always been peaceful and quiet after 10 PM.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
jmen24

Quote:
What is preventing this from happening now?

Not being ignorant or a smart "guy", just curious what in the current language excludes the above referenced behavior. I am not a power boater, so this does not affect me one way or the other.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #16
PaugusBayFireFighter

You're welcome to tie up or do anything else you want at our place on the north end of Paugus. If you want a nice quiet night on the lake don't park off our docks Thursday through Sunday!
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #17
NH_boater

Quote:
I do not think this is a significant risk.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #18
jrc

I'm sorry to do this to Cate's thread but the trend is the other way, as you can see if you read the rafting threads. The shorefront owners are demanding less boats in front of their land. They will not be open to loosening the overnight law.

If Cate and other can rely on the kindness of strangers, they can still have a good experience, but for now that's the only way.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #19
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I'm sorry to do this to Cate's thread but the trend is the other way, as you can see if you read the rafting threads. The shorefront owners are demanding less boats in front of their land. They will not be open to loosening the overnight law.

If Cate and other can rely on the kindness of strangers, they can still have a good experience, but for now that's the only way.
Even using someone else's dock is tough...the law requires the landowner to notify the Department of Environmental Services in writing.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
CateP

Default Trip Dates

Hi All,
Thanks to those who have contacted me privately. Our trip dates are August 1-5.
Hopefully we can piece together a good route.
We don't need any shore power or even a dock for that matter. My understanding is that if we have owner permission and have a line tied to shore, we can anchor off the owners property.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 AM   #21
Billy Bob

Default time to open the lake to everyone

well I'm a lake front property owner and as everyone that owns a piece of the lake spent the big bucks BUT it's not my lake its EVERYONES lake and I cant understand how anyone can justify blocking other people from access.

Most other states don't allow this BS . In others states we have lived in we would drop anchor ( in a safe spot ) and spend the night . it was great !!
its time to open the lake up to everyone
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (06-23-2014), HellRaZoR004 (06-23-2014), PaugusBayFireFighter (06-23-2014), trfour (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #22
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
well I'm a lake front property owner and as everyone that owns a piece of the lake spent the big bucks BUT it's not my lake its EVERYONES lake and I cant understand how anyone can justify blocking other people from access.

Most other states don't allow this BS . In others states we have lived in we would drop anchor ( in a safe spot ) and spend the night . it was great !!
its time to open the lake up to everyone
Absolutely!!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #23
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Even using someone else's dock is tough...the law requires the landowner to notify the Department of Environmental Services in writing.
Is this true? I've been letting someone use my dock periodically for years. First I have heard of this. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #24
jrc

Yes, someone has to notify the DES the dock owner or the boat owner. If the boat has a DES sticker on it, then they know.

270-A:4 Notification of Mooring of Houseboats Required. – The owner, lessee, or person otherwise in control of a location at or adjacent to which one or more houseboats are anchored, beached, grounded or tied to the shore for an overnight period, or for any part of an overnight period, shall promptly thereafter give notice of this fact, in writing, to the New Hampshire department of environmental services, stating the number of houseboats moored at such location and the dates of such mooring. Any person who owns or controls a location at which spaces are rented or leased to the general public for the purpose of mooring houseboats at such location, shall keep a log of all houseboats moored at such locations, the name of the owner or other person in control of such houseboats, the registration number of the houseboat, and the dates of such mooring, which log shall be available for inspection at all reasonable times by any agent of the New Hampshire department of environmental services. When a houseboat is to be moored at the same location for an extended period of time, one written notification of such fact stating the period of time the houseboat will be so moored to the New Hampshire department of environmental services shall be sufficient to satisfy the requirements of this section. Such written notification shall not be required if the owner of the houseboat furnishes such information on his application for registration of the houseboat to the director of the division of motor vehicles in accordance with the provisions of RSA 270:4.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #25
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Yes, someone has to notify the DES the dock owner or the boat owner. If the boat has a DES sticker on it, then they know.

270-A:4 Notification of Mooring of Houseboats Required. – The owner, lessee, or person otherwise in control of a location at or adjacent to which one or more houseboats are anchored, beached, grounded or tied to the shore for an overnight period, or for any part of an overnight period, shall promptly thereafter give notice of this fact, in writing, to the New Hampshire department of environmental services, stating the number of houseboats moored at such location and the dates of such mooring. Any person who owns or controls a location at which spaces are rented or leased to the general public for the purpose of mooring houseboats at such location, shall keep a log of all houseboats moored at such locations, the name of the owner or other person in control of such houseboats, the registration number of the houseboat, and the dates of such mooring, which log shall be available for inspection at all reasonable times by any agent of the New Hampshire department of environmental services. When a houseboat is to be moored at the same location for an extended period of time, one written notification of such fact stating the period of time the houseboat will be so moored to the New Hampshire department of environmental services shall be sufficient to satisfy the requirements of this section. Such written notification shall not be required if the owner of the houseboat furnishes such information on his application for registration of the houseboat to the director of the division of motor vehicles in accordance with the provisions of RSA 270:4.
Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder what the rule is if the vessel does not meet the intended definition of a houseboat?
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #26
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I find it hard to believe that any marina that offers transient dock space or moorings are doing this, or for that matter anyone that is renting out a private residence.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #27
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder what the rule is if the vessel does not meet the intended definition of a houseboat?
Isn't all this BS just too much?!?!?!?

Cate wants to spend the night at a friends house. She ties up to their dock (with their permission). She has ample sleeping and sanitary systems on her boat. That's all there should be needed!

I'll give them this much: If any boat has a NH DES sticker on it showing that it was inspected to pass the laws, then that boat should be able to be used for sleeping at an overnight anchor, mooring, or dockage anywhere on the lake where it is safe to do so. No additional paperwork should be needed, nor any additional intrusion by the Marine Patrol (they can clearly see the NH DES decal on the boat).

If we must have a law about overnighting, shouldn't this be the most that is needed?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #28
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:

My guess is there is some unwritten leniency in this law.... sure they could just bag you for not notifying the DES in writing... But honestly if the home owner is present it is a simple check for consent... this law is really to prevent people from anchoring off of undeveloped property with a line attached to shore, where there is no real way to contact the owner easily....

Cate,

I hope you are able to work out the plans for this trip... other information that might help people understand if they can help you out is to know how much water you need under your boat... I had a neighbor with 6' draft on his sail boat, and while he has able to get a mooring permit, his boat had to be quite some distance from shore...
Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #29
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Ignore it!

This is one of those laws that is completely ignored because it is in fact ridiculous!

How many of us have had friends stay at our camps and tie up at our dock overnight. Did you notify DES and get the proper permit?... Of course not!

Ignore it Cate and enjoy your journey!

Dan
Old 06-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #30
4Fun

When I read the law it seems to be leaning toward accountability for waste discharge. They just want to know who stayed in a certain spot so if there was discharge or damage they can track he person down. The requirement is to notify AFTER you stay.

Still a law that's not needed.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #31
Descant

Thanked 1,514 Times in 984 Posts
Default DMV Registration

I read the last sentence of the RSA to say that if the boat is registered with DMV, the DES requirement is waived. When you register, I think there is a question about "Does this vessel have a marine head" or similar. You are not required to register if you do not operate the boat, so you could launch and tow it to a static location (no operation, please) and not be registered. If you say "No" to the question, and you have a MSD, but perhaps no holding tank, you falsified the application. Naughty, Naughty.

(There is anecdotal evidence that folks on some smaller lakes do not register and simply don't use their boat on days when MP visits. This came up in the legislature a few years ago when there was an attempt to require registration of all boats.)

Apologies to CateP for huge hijacking of the thread. Pleased to hear you had PM's to suit your needs.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #32
CateP

Default More Details

Back to the original topic...
Our boat draws 3' 3 " and has a 9 ft beam.
We are fully self-contained and don't require shore power.
We will have our two little shih tzu pups on board and they would probably like a little shore leave, but we have contingency plans for them as well.

So far we have two potential ports of call up around Long Island and Melvin Village. Fay's in Gilford may also have a transient mooring, but it's kinda busy over there.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #33
pcmc

I hate to bring up the other side of planing, but will foul weather be an issue for you? Something to keep in mind.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #34
Pricestavern

Default Wam

You might try contacting West Alton Marina on the south end of the lake. Not sure if they do transients or not but worth a phone call. Nice place with laundry and shower facilities plus would give you a spot to stay on the other end of the lake.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #35
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Only one problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
You might try contacting West Alton Marina on the south end of the lake. Not sure if they do transients or not but worth a phone call. Nice place with laundry and shower facilities plus would give you a spot to stay on the other end of the lake.
WAM has great facilities, but draft can be a problem going in and out of the channel.

It is rather shallow. I suspect this is why we don't see sailboats docked at WAM.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #36
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
I hate to bring up the other side of planing, but will foul weather be an issue for you? Something to keep in mind.
Well, it's a small closed lake where they already seem to have a boat slip. If the weather was that bad they would probably just return home.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #37
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
We will be prepared for any weather. Our mast and rigging is grounded against lightening strikes and we have a dodger and awning we can put up. A rainy day on the boat is not ideal, but we will have movies and books and art supplies to keep us occupied. Napping is always an option.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #38
CateP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
Our home port is Wolfeboro so we are already on the south end of the lake.
Right now our possible itinerary includes ports of call in Tuftonboro, Long Island and Center Harbor. It's going to be an adventure!!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #39
jrc

I was out exploring on my kayak today and found the Winter Harbor Yacht Club, which surprisingly is not in Winter Harbor. It is in a nice cove on Welch Island.

This is interesting for this thread because since Welch does not have a bridge, all members of the WHYC must have another place to dock. When they are at WHYC they are not at their other place and vice versa. So a member may be able to loan either one of their slips for lake explorers like captain Cate and her first mate.

I have no good info on how to contact members except for this old thread.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=11800
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
CateP (06-29-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #40
Descant

Thanked 1,514 Times in 984 Posts
Default Hijack

Perhaps a new thread? Or check the archives.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote