Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2005, 09:18 AM   #1
upnorth

Default Dock Damage

We have a relatively small crank-up that is hinged to a cement pad (used with the prior rickety dock that was replaced with our new one). The pad is about 5' x 5' x 8" thick. It kinda sits in the water. Before the new dock was installed, the pad was re-leveled with a pair of 2x12 PT lumber legs bolted to the sides of the pad. The legs sit in about a foot of water.

Turns out that the ice grabbed hold of the pad and/or legs , shifted it slightly and caused one of the legs to pull from the cement pad. I could have lived with this, but it cocked the dock enough so that dock legs on the far end of the dock sit about 2 inches above the lake bed -- would hardly notice it but for the wobble.

I can easily correct all of this for this season, but really want to avoid it in the future. The dock guy (who will fix it for me) recommends a bubbler. I'm not so sure that a bubbler will work so close to the shore and with only a foot or less of water at the water's edge.

My thought is to place stones/rocks around the pad so that it becomes more "on shore" than in the water. Question for everyone, will this work? If your answer will change any, let me also say that I think the damage occured when the water level rose and nearly covered the cement pad.
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote