Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default ... new load of kayaks

Looks like the Plymouth Walmart just got a load of 20 kayaks made by three different brands in about six different sizes and designs .... displayed vertically in an outdoor space near the entrance.

None had any prices on them so I was able to get an employee to determine the price for a Pelican ProFisher-12' single seat kayak/stand up paddle board at $397. It was easily the largest kayak of the group of 20, so probably it has the highest price.

Is it a kayak, or is it a stand up paddle board designed for fishing? What is it? It has a large beach chair style seat, a large stand up spot, four fishing rod holders and looks by design and size to be plenty stable for stand up paddling and fishing, plus a large sit down seat as already mentioned. Probably, knowing what I know ...... it's a kayak with stand-up fishing/paddling capability?

Weight ...... maybe 55-lbs, which is not very light weight, and just a guess? Color ..... darkest dark green. Capacity ..... one large comfortable looking seat with a high back for one person.

No State of NH registration, insurance, or gasoline needed ...... just you, a pfd, a whistle, and a paddle.

Here's a question for the forum experts: Is there a low priced stand-up bimini sun/rain top made for a vessel like this that's about 30" wide or is a large el cheapo Mexican straw sombrero the best for blocking out that hot NH sun while fishing the big lake?
Old 03-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
Prestige Worldwide

Name:  IMG_5445.JPG
Views: 1644
Size:  52.8 KB

But Ocean State job lot in Meredith has a similar product for $100 less.

https://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/sea...le&type=search

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Prestige Worldwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
fatlazyless

At 12' x 30" , Walmart priced at $397, plus the very different design style, these two kayaks are very different animals. For fly fishing and casting, seems like a good thing what with this ProFisher-12' to be able to either stand up or sit down in a la-z-boy style high backed chair with two cup holders, one on both sides of the arm rests ..... a combination fishing-paddle-relax'n machine ..... that asks the question ..... what is it ...... r u a kayak or r u a stand-up paddleboard .... and that is a good question ..... ?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-17-2019 at 05:52 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
codeman671

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Looks like the Plymouth Walmart just got a load of 20 kayaks made by three different brands in about six different sizes and designs .... displayed vertically in an outdoor space near the entrance.

None had any prices on them so I was able to get an employee to determine the price for a Pelican ProFisher-12' single seat kayak/stand up paddle board at $397. It was easily the largest kayak of the group of 20, so probably it has the highest price.

Is it a kayak, or is it a stand up paddle board designed for fishing? What is it? It has a large beach chair style seat, a large stand up spot, four fishing rod holders and looks by design and size to be plenty stable for stand up paddling and fishing, plus a large sit down seat as already mentioned. Probably, knowing what I know ...... it's a kayak with stand-up fishing/paddling capability?

Weight ...... maybe 55-lbs, which is not very light weight, and just a guess? Color ..... darkest dark green. Capacity ..... one large comfortable looking seat with a high back for one person.

No State of NH registration, insurance, or gasoline needed ...... just you, a pfd, a whistle, and a paddle.

Here's a question for the forum experts: Is there a low priced stand-up bimini sun/rain top made for a vessel like this that's about 30" wide or is a large el cheapo Mexican straw sombrero the best for blocking out that hot NH sun while fishing the big lake?
Couldn’t you rig up a super awesome Bimini top using your favorite Walmart foam noodles and a tarp from Heath’s while grabbing some free coffee?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
camp guy

Default New Load of kayaks

Say, fll, while you are at it, maybe you could slip in a Chevy short block, geared to a short shaft with a three-blade stainless steel prop, and maybe some trim tabs. In case of rain, you can be home by the time the first drop hits you.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
Prestige Worldwide

If you add a motor you will have to pay for a registration.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Prestige Worldwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige Worldwide View Post
If you add a motor you will have to pay for a registration.
.... yes ...... very much true ..... and also, your standard NH home owner's insurance policy gives you some coverage for your self-propelled paddle kayak/board ..... which is not the case when it has a motor.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #8
welch-time

I bought 3 Pelican Maverick kayaks over the past 2 years and I really like them (I think this is now called the Mustang)
I got them for $199 each from Dick's during the 4th of July sales. Regular price was $349. They also had a lesser model on sale for $179 and it had the same hull with a more basic top. The hulls and tops are vacu-formed separately and then ultrasonically welded together. Pelican hulls are usually white.

The Pelican kayaks are made out of vacuformed Ram-X laminate sheets (instead of roto-molded). As a result the Pelican's are smooth and fair instead of all wavy-gravy like the roto-molded boats. Cheap Roto-molded boats are slower, heavier, and don't track very well. Notice I said "cheap". There are some great roto-molded boats but they're alot more money.
Just my $.02

Mark

Last edited by welch-time; 03-17-2019 at 08:48 PM.
welch-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:36 PM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Complete with an environmentally friendly 4 stroke.
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-18-2019), Rusty (03-18-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Couldn’t you rig up a super awesome Bimini top using your favorite Walmart foam noodles and a tarp from Heath’s while grabbing some free coffee?
I may be wrong but I thought the free coffee was at Rands Hardware in Plymouth and Heaths charged $0.25 but had a super duper paper cup?
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #11
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
.... yes ...... very much true ..... and also, your standard NH home owner's insurance policy gives you some coverage for your self-propelled paddle kayak/board ..... which is not the case when it has a motor.
Who would have though that your home owners policy would cover something as specific as a foam noodle
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #12
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Complete with an environmentally friendly 4 stroke.
Looks unregistered. I don't see any "bow" numbers on the port side of his ("doubled up") hull... I wonder if that's the "non sinkable" version that competes with the whaler's?? Where are the MP's when you need them?? They need to check this guy out!! No fire extinguisher or whistle either, that I can see. Although I do have to give him credit where it's due, it looks like he's got a good strong mounting bracket for all that power...!!
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #13
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Looks unregistered. I don't see any "bow" numbers on the port side of his ("doubled up") hull... I wonder if that's the "non sinkable" version that competes with the whaler's?? Where are the MP's when you need them?? They need to check this guy out!! No fire extinguisher or whistle either, that I can see. Although I do have to give him credit where it's due, it looks like he's got a good strong mounting bracket for all that power...!!
and a coast guard approved PFD onboard.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Default ..... is so very noisy

You know, that's the smallest Honda outboard, a 2-hp, and the only one that's air cooled as opposed to water cooled with a water pump, cooling system. That 2-hp Honda gets very hot and is very noisy, sounds like a lawn mower with a one cylinder engine. I used to have one.

Paddling or rowing automatically puts the rower/paddler in the center of the boat which makes it much more centered and balanced than a small boat with an outboard. Plus, you get the FUN of paddling or rowing without the super hot and noisy outboard that unbalances the boat. So, is no wonder why motor boats need to be registered and have their own insurance policy, plus motors tend to encourage IDIOTIC behavior a lot more than a paddle or an oar.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:13 AM   #15
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
I may be wrong but I thought the free coffee was at Rands Hardware in Plymouth and Heaths charged $0.25 but had a super duper paper cup?
You may be correct....Of course if you go buy a super el cheapo pack of coffee cups at Walmart then try to fill your own cup at Heath's when they aren't looking you can bring your cost down!

Don't forget to stop at St. Vincent de Paul in Laconia for some 4 year old Ramen noodles, which are totally enjoyable from his million dollar view down the broads from Meredith Neck
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Before the winter I asked if it was ok to leave my kayaks outside all winter. Well, I built racks at my beach to hold them and I put them on the racks upside down so that they wouldn't fill with water.
I went down in the middle of the winter and they blew off the racks and were covered in the snow. I guess I should have strapped them to the racks.

Last edited by Biggd; 03-19-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #17
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
You may be correct....Of course if you go buy a super el cheapo pack of coffee cups at Walmart then try to fill your own cup at Heath's when they aren't looking you can bring your cost down!

Don't forget to stop at St. Vincent de Paul in Laconia for some 4 year old Ramen noodles, which are totally enjoyable from his million dollar view down the broads from Meredith Neck
You just have to love the irony in all this though, just think of the shellacking that will come to that waterfront tax bill once that gold plated DPW building cost hits in Meredith. Awe ain't that a shame. There goes that SS check. Amusing isn't it?
Old 03-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #18
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
You just have to love the irony in all this though, just think of the shellacking that will come to that waterfront tax bill once that gold plated DPW building cost hits in Meredith. Awe ain't that a shame. There goes that SS check. Amusing isn't it?
Especially if it puts the bill over $10.000.00 Sorry nothing allowed for over the 10k max deduction.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-19-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Default ... ain't dat someting?

Well, well, well ..... looks like the other Ozark Trails ProAngler-12 ..... over at the outdoors Plymouth-Walmart display area done went and got itself sold off to some unknown buyer for $497.

About two weeks ago, a new load of about 20-kayaks done showed up there, including 3-brands and about 6-styles of kayaks ...... and two weeks later ..... the only two having been sold are the two biggest and most expensive ones in the group. One was a camouflage small mouth bass color, and one was dark gray/green, and they is both sold, now!

Is there someting like a nation wide shortage of Ozark Trails ProAngler-12's out there or what?

Now, just ain't dat someting! ..... check out the home made produced, stability test video .... on you tube .... the tag from the manufacturer describes this model as a combination sit-down paddle kayak with a large, comfy seat plus also as a stand-up fishing platform ..... which probably allows for it to get paddled while standing up like a sup with either a two blade, or a single blade paddle ..... is so very interesting ..... what will they tink of, next?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-31-2019 at 02:31 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote