Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
RLW

Smile Double wall stainless steel pipe install

I'm looking for a person/company within traveling distance to Alton Bay that installs double wall stainless pipe. I want to remove my power vent and install approx. 30' of the pipe on the outside of the house for the oil burner.
Appreciate any suggestions from you all.
and have a wonderful and safe day.
Enjoy the and the

RLW
Old 07-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Rick Vollmer, Chimney Cricket, Thornton NH: He's up at Rt 93-Exit 29, and goes all over central NH to do installs for years & years......age about 60.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Rick Vollmer, Chimney Cricket, Thornton NH: He's up at Rt 93-Exit 29, and goes all over central NH to do installs for years & years......age about 60.

for your response and I will check out for his phone number.
RLW
Old 07-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
jarhead0341

Food for thought ....... there are company's now making direct vent oil appliances no power vent need
jarhead0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead0341 View Post
Food for thought ....... there are company's now making direct vent oil appliances no power vent need

for the suggestion, but if they come out directly from the equipment that is what I'm trying to get rid of. With the power vent one cannot leave any windows open near it during the summer time as the sulfur smell is way to strong so one has to close them. I'm looking to get the fumes above the house and roof line as a regular chimney would do. Again muchly for the suggestion
Old 07-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
jarhead0341

Ouch ..... that stinks no pun intended
jarhead0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:12 AM   #7
Happy Gourmand

Default Power vents

I have 2 friends with power vents on the side of their house. Both have told me they would never do that again....exactly for the reasons you mentioned...and also for the noise they make.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
ApS

Default Metalbestos Pipe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
I'm looking for a person/company within traveling distance to Alton Bay that installs double wall stainless pipe. I want to remove my power vent and install approx. 30' of the pipe on the outside of the house for the oil burner.
Appreciate any suggestions from you all.

1) I installed Metalbestos pipe myself—a very expensive pipe. It "scratches-and-dents" easily, so try advertising for it. From one Lakes Region source, I got some new sections—and some used—at about $7 per section.

2) At one's location, the breeze can carry odors to the opposite side of the house; if possible, install the pipe downwind of the wind that causes your oil burner to turn on.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

We had a couple of power vents at one time and they were both awful. We had trouble with them all the time. I am so glad they are gone!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I have 2 friends with power vents on the side of their house. Both have told me they would never do that again....exactly for the reasons you mentioned...and also for the noise they make.
Mine isn't noisy at all. I sleep right beside it and never hear it. I have no problems with the vent itself it is just the odor when the windows are open.
Whoops we seem to be going off the topic here. My request was for stainless steel chimney pipe installers for a oil burner to REPLACE a power vent.

Last edited by RLW; 07-19-2011 at 06:57 AM. Reason: addtion to thread
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

Best thing I ever did was get rid of my power vent. I also had a problem with mine creating a negative pressure inside the house even after installing a vent close by to let in outside air. The negative pressure would pull air down my wood burning chimney and create a stinky, sooty smell. It's really pretty simple to install the metal chimney. I did it myself.All the sections just twisted together to interlock. I first installed the through-the-wall fitting. The outside has a base bracket that lags into the wall. From there you simply stacked each section on top of each other and secured in a couple spots to the wall with brackets. I think it took me a 1/2 day. Inside I just ran regular stove pipe.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #12
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Best thing I ever did was get rid of my power vent. I also had a problem with mine creating a negative pressure inside the house even after installing a vent close by to let in outside air. The negative pressure would pull air down my wood burning chimney and create a stinky, sooty smell. It's really pretty simple to install the metal chimney. I did it myself.All the sections just twisted together to interlock. I first installed the through-the-wall fitting. The outside has a base bracket that lags into the wall. From there you simply stacked each section on top of each other and secured in a couple spots to the wall with brackets. I think it took me a 1/2 day. Inside I just ran regular stove pipe.
I to have installed several wood burning stoves and as you say they aren't that difficult, but I'm more concern with the few elbows going around windows that need to be installed and I want a responsible person to do the installation as that way they carry the burden of ensuring the proper draft for the burner.
I have never had or heard that a power vent had caused a neg. pressure to anyone's that I know that have them installed except for one in a enclosed boiler room.

Last edited by RLW; 07-18-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: wording
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RLW For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (07-19-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post

I have never had or heard that a power vent had caused a neg. pressure to anyone's that I know that have them installed except for one in a enclosed boiler room.
Power vents can do lots of weird things, and if a house it tight enough, and the wood stove located in a decent proximity to the vent, and has a poor draft to begin with, I can very much see this situation happening.

After having a few relatives with them, I don't recommend them to anyone...
Old 07-19-2011, 04:39 PM   #14
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Power vents can do lots of weird things, and if a house it tight enough, and the wood stove located in a decent proximity to the vent, and has a poor draft to begin with, I can very much see this situation happening.

After having a few relatives with them, (and what?)I don't recommend them to anyone...

There are a lot of ifs in the statement being quoted above. If all the above is to happen then just the boiler fan would cause that problem and it would have to run for hours I believe to get that to really cause a problem. I would defiantly recommend them to anyone that had a situation that really needed them and no other situation would work for them. Again I apologize for getting off of my own topic of stainless steel piping installation. Won't happen again.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #15
SIKSUKR

Default Fwiw

My house was built originally with electric heat and is well insulated and pretty tight.The power vent I had delivered a high cfm.I've seen others that were much less.My burner blower would not amount to 1/10 of the cfm.On damp days without a fire going the air would come down the chimney and smell the downstairs up with a wet,sooty stink.Pulled out the power vent and never had that issue again for the last 10 years.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
ACutAbove

Talk to Whitey at Stargaze pools and spa's he also sells wood and pellet stove's and I know when I asked him about getting me some of the same pipe he could get it for me at a very reasonable price. He does do installs of them also I believe. Its worth a phone call and till him Ken from ACA told you to call, he may charge you a little moreyou never know for that but you never know..haha
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote