Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
54,000 miles is not high mileage...
54K in 18 months is a lot of miles, way more than average, way more than the guy who designed the car planned for, way more than the warranty was expecting. So the dealer knows this owner will use the car and test the warranty. There is nothing wrong high mileage or with the owner using the car, I'm just guessing how the dealer sees it.

Dealers for high end makers tend to make money on warranty work, dealers for bargain cars tend to lose money on the work. I'm just guessing but if Irwin was making money on the car, they would not be complaining.

Businesses are in business to make money, when they don't then you're on your own. Remember nothing is free, someone will be buying a new engine, you, Irwin or Hyundai. You have to convince them that buying you a new engine is their cheapest solution.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
54K in 18 months is a lot of miles, way more than average, way more than the guy who designed the car planned for, way more than the warranty was expecting. So the dealer knows this owner will use the car and test the warranty. There is nothing wrong high mileage or with the owner using the car, I'm just guessing how the dealer sees it.

Dealers for high end makers tend to make money on warranty work, dealers for bargain cars tend to lose money on the work. I'm just guessing but if Irwin was making money on the car, they would not be complaining.

Businesses are in business to make money, when they don't then you're on your own. Remember nothing is free, someone will be buying a new engine, you, Irwin or Hyundai. You have to convince them that buying you a new engine is their cheapest solution.
Sorry JRC, I guess we'll have to disagree about the high mileage, we used to have several company cars used by salesmen that would get at least 50k miles in a year, maintenance included oil changes, brakes and tires, we would run them about 4 years then get new ones. A new transmission and now a new engine is not a use problem but a manufacturing/design problem. A car doesn't care if you run up the miles in a year or 10 years, in fact some make the case where under use is worse for a machine than getting used regularly or even "heavily" used.

I also agree with the nothing is free comment, but the manufacturer gave, in fact boasts about a 10year/ 100,000 mile warranty that was probably built into the price, they should honor it.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
A new transmission and now a new engine is not a use problem but a manufacturing/design problem. A car doesn't care if you run up the miles in a year or 10 years, in fact some make the case where under use is worse for a machine than getting used regularly or even "heavily" used.

I Concur. However, we don't really know yet where the problem is. (Other than we lost a quart of oil in 55 miles.) I REALLY don't believe it's Possible to BURN that much oil in 55 miles.....SO..I consider THAT option OUT.

I also don't believe that Hyundai builds an engine that is THAT poorly designed. I suggest this might be a Dealer "Technician" problem. If the assigned technician is ...in over his head ??..........

(This happened to me in 1979 with my bran new Honda Accord. FIVE transmission removals later. I took it to Another dealer and it was fixed post haste.)

I think this problem is not complicated. Find out where the oil is going and FIX it. NB

EDIT: I just looked: I may be at my 5 posts per day limit...so no further advice will likely be forthcoming.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
corollaman

They want you to go in and spend $40 on an oil change at Irwin's. I do all my own work, and I'm under warranty, so I guess I'm screwed if I have engine trouble, I drive Toyotas, and they're bulletproof, so I don't expect any trouble with my engine. My last Toyota ran to 200,000 miles without trouble. Those engines can go down to a quart of oil left, and still run. My friend's Corolla had literally one quart left in it cause it had a bad oil pan leak, and it ran without a knock or anything. Next time go for a Toyota.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
They want you to go in and spend $40 on an oil change at Irwin's. I do all my own work, and I'm under warranty, so I guess I'm screwed if I have engine trouble, I drive Toyotas, and they're bulletproof, so I don't expect any trouble with my engine. My last Toyota ran to 200,000 miles without trouble. Those engines can go down to a quart of oil left, and still run. My friend's Corolla had literally one quart left in it cause it had a bad oil pan leak, and it ran without a knock or anything. Next time go for a Toyota.
I think the savings received from doing your own oil changes in this day and age are not worth the pay back. How do you dispose of the used oil? Do you consider the value of your time in the cost benefit analysis? And the big one what is the cost of voiding your warranty?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
I think the savings received from doing your own oil changes in this day and age are not worth the pay back. How do you dispose of the used oil? Do you consider the value of your time in the cost benefit analysis? And the big one what is the cost of voiding your warranty?
I usually bring my wifes car to the dealer because I can buy 4 oil changes for $60 and her car has a life time drivetrain warranty. I've done it once myself because I didn't have time to take it to the dealer. It's a 2 hour ordeal to drive to the dealer and wait for it to be done. Then they want to sell me new wipers or some kind of snake oil.

I do oil changes on my truck and 18 year old Camry myself. It takes maybe 10 minutes and the used oil is recycled at the dump for free.

If you are worried about the warranty, sometimes is doesn't pay to do your own car work. If your out of warranty, do it yourself!
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Prior Dodge dealers

I use to always buy my vehicles from Fitzgerald's and before that Piper's. They never question the shade tree mechanics. They just do the warrantee repairs.

When I can't do the maintenance, I would use the coupons they gave me as a buyer. They have been awesome.

Autoserve had sold me a Jeep that will not pass inspection. The last two inspections, they would reset the OBD and have me drive to Concord and back. They will slap a sticker on it. The reason is that the diagnosis is 'general emission failure'. It could be anything. They could find it right off and fix it for a few bucks, or it could take forever to find and cost thousands.

I can always find another dealer as I am not planning on coming back.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
AB_Monterey

I've never been a dealer maintenance guy until this latest car. Bought it with 2K on it and decided to have the dealer do the oil changes while it was under warranty. It's now out of warranty but I continue to use them for oil changes. $40? You're being robbed unless that's synthetic you're using. My dealer, Foss in Exeter, charges $25.95 for an oil change. At that price, doing it myself makes absolutely no sense.

I like the idea about parking the car across the street with a big lemon on it. That occured to me as well.

As for the mileage, 54K is nothing. I don't understand where this supposed correlation between mileage and time comes from. The car was designed to run, not to run some pre-determined miles in an expected time frame. As long as all maintenance was done as scheduled per the mileage, the amount of time it took to rack up those miles is completely meaningless. If you're having motor issues with 54K in 6 months, you'd have those same issues with 54K in 2 years. In fact, since most of the wear and tear on an engine is at start-up, the case can be made that driving those 54K on long trips and racking up the miles actually does less damage internally than taking 2 years to do it which would mean lots of starts and short trips.

Good luck. I've gone up the corportate route twice over the years and both times got some satisfaction. If they're shutting you down already, you're fighting an uphill battle.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
lawn psycho

Default Oil Changes Easy Way to Save Money

Not all oil changes are created equal. Anyone getting a $25 oil change better know what oil and filter is being used.

I can get Mobil 1 for a total of $26 at Wal-Mart plus Napa Gold Filters for 7-12 bucks depening one which vehicle.

My oil change is 15-20 minutes. While it's draining, I also break out a rag and degreaser and go a general wipe down that does wonders of keeping the undercarriage rust free. Your mechanic is not going to do this. Ever smell burning oil that was not cleaned up thoroughly that dripped onto you enginee and exhaust after it got changed? I don't

A synthetic oil change for my cars is usually $65 or higher.

Getting rid of oil is easy. Pour your oil into milk jugs and just drop of at any parts store (auto zone, VIP, Napa, etc) as they take it free of charge.

So I actually save time by not worrying about having to make appt, sitting in a waiting area, etc. Plus, do my own tire rotations which takes maybe 15 minutes on a car. That's a $25-50 savings right there.

On my 4 vehicles (plus boat and lawn equipment) this adds up over the course of the year and honestly I don't even have to think of the small amount of time it takes to do them.

I'm thankful I can do my own basic maintenance. Had a Honda Dealership who wanted to charge $79 to replace cabin air filter. Requires pulling two tabs in glove box and removing to screws to get filter out. Filter cost? $13 I'll keep the difference in my wallet all day long
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
songkrai

Quote:
I agree. I just had oil changed on my Chevrolet for $9.95 with tire rotation at Banks Chevrolet in Concord. I am on email list and received a coupon. I do not make a special trip for this as the gas used would add to cost. I combine errands.

For my other car I use a good local mechanic/independent repair shop. I do pay about $25.00 - $30.00. If something does go wrong with my older car I have a good mechanic that knows me.

I never use any quick lube places anymore. Sadly, some of the youngsters at some of those shops don't know which way to screw in the oil filter. And they are always trying to sell something else needed or not.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
corollaman

Quote:
any place you buy oil from that charges you an environmental fee has to take it. I know NAPA does, I buy all my oil there. Otherwise, I take it to Belknap Tire on Union Avenue, they take it, as long as there's no coolant or water in it. They have a waste oil furnace there.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
BroadHopper

Default Electrical problems

I heard many folks complain of electrical problems with their vehicle. Here is a strange one.

My daughter's father-in-law's Chevy Silverado has flex-fuel capability. He once was able to use a tank of E85 purchased in Mass. He absolutely hated the performance and returned to regular gas. Since then the check engine light been on, after several trips to the dealer, the dealer can't understand what happened. Since it is a Mass registered truck, I have no idea how he gets the vehicle inspected.

A couple of weeks ago, he asked me to detail his truck. I notice the driver's side seat belt warning wiring was detached and I reattched it. Over the weekend he called me up and ask me what did I do? He wasn't upset that the seat belt chime went on, the check engine light is now off!

I don't know how the seat belt warning chime would effect the OB device unless the manufacterer got some wires crossed.

Any comments?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:49 AM   #13
Alton Bay

Don't know about you all, but I think this post has gotten way out of hand. I'm sorry the owner of the car had issues, but not sure it's fair to slam the dealer over the internet... We don't know both sides of the story.

Don't think personal attacks are necessary either.

And, no, I don't have to read these posts if they bother me but it bugs me that people can write anonymous slurs that hurt others.

I was raised with the rule "If you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all." Especially not on the internet.
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alton Bay For This Useful Post:
fpartri497 (03-27-2012), RLW (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #14
fpartri497

Default Irwin

I tottaly agree

Old 03-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #15
dpg

Well speaking about cars and dealers.....A few months ago I brought the wifes CRV in for an oil change and noticed for a week or so after that it was leaving little drops of oil where ever she parked in the driveway. I brought it back (to the Honda dealer who changed it) and the service guy told me their "lead tech" checked it out and it just wasn't all wiped clean underneath after the change. Really??? it leaked for a straight week because it wasn't wiped clean with a rag??? I didn't bother going there and I just left. Sometimes they think people are stupid.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #16
Belmont Resident

Default dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Well speaking about cars and dealers.....A few months ago I brought the wifes CRV in for an oil change and noticed for a week or so after that it was leaving little drops of oil where ever she parked in the driveway. I brought it back (to the Honda dealer who changed it) and the service guy told me their "lead tech" checked it out and it just wasn't all wiped clean underneath after the change. Really??? it leaked for a straight week because it wasn't wiped clean with a rag??? I didn't bother going there and I just left. Sometimes they think people are stupid.
The one really good thing all dealerships are good at is lying. From the salesman to the service dept they will say whatever they need too, to cover their ass or make a sale.
Point in hand, my wife talked to a salesman at Subaru of Manchester about a new Impreza. She was told they are such a hot item that there are none in the NE area.
So being the savy computer person she is, she googles dealerships starting at 50 mile radius then 100 miles. Low and behold there were a lot of them at other dealerships within the NE area, but not in Manchester.
I sent them an e-mail asking about this and got a generic reply of we have not seen you in over 2 weeks, our inventory is changing all the time, please visit us again.
This was the day after she visited them. It goes to show just how on top of their game they really are.
BroadHopper (03-28-2012), NoBozo (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
sa meredith

Default Really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
The one really good thing all dealerships are good at is lying. From the salesman to the service dept they will say whatever they need too, to cover their ass or make a sale.
Point in hand, my wife talked to a salesman at Subaru of Manchester about a new Impreza. She was told they are such a hot item that there are none in the NE area.
So being the savy computer person she is, she googles dealerships starting at 50 mile radius then 100 miles. Low and behold there were a lot of them at other dealerships within the NE area, but not in Manchester.
I sent them an e-mail asking about this and got a generic reply of we have not seen you in over 2 weeks, our inventory is changing all the time, please visit us again.
This was the day after she visited them. It goes to show just how on top of their game they really are.
"The one really good thing all dealerships are good at is lying."

Lying is a "really good thing"? I disagree. I think lying is wrong, and has no place in retail. I don't believe lying is a "really good thing".
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
RailroadJoe

Default used car dealers the worst

Like I always say, don't ever believe a car salesman, a politician or a lawyer. They all make their money through sayings of ???
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
The one really good thing all dealerships are good at is lying. .
I think what BR was suggesting is that the thing that dealerships have in their favor, (to make money), is the opportunity to LYE. The can do it at will.. and the average consumer has no clew IF what the dealer is saying is true or not. The consumer is a Fish in the sea. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #20
Belmont Resident

Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I think what BR was suggesting is that the thing that dealerships have in their favor, (to make money), is the opportunity to LYE. The can do it at will.. and the average consumer has no clew IF what the dealer is saying is true or not. The consumer is a Fish in the sea. NB
Lying is never a good thing yet dealerships have become very proficient at doing it and making it seems like it is all just in a days work.
I believe that Coastal Laker is seeing this first hand in her dealings with Irwins and Hyundai.
I did a little research and found that as soon as there is a dispute the Dealer wants nothing to do with the customer and refers them to the car/truck manufacturer stating it is no longer our problem. So the customer is left dealing with a person on the other side of a phone call and all personal contact has dissolved.
That is what they don’t tell you when you buy a vehicle.

NB one time my wife brought a vehicle into the dealer for service and told them that she thought the headlights were out of adjustment. At pickup she was told they took care of the problem. A month later I returned and complained about the headlights not being adjusted properly. At pickup I was told yes they were way out of adjustment and that they had in fact adjusted them them. They were in fact much better. So she was just brushed off and lied to by the service dept.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Default Sales vs Service Depts.

I don't find the sales dept lying to buyers as much now as they do in the past. Salesmen knows that most buyers are armed to the teeth with information about the car they want to buy because of the wealth of information on the internet as well as Experian, CSS and Carfax. I hate to be the guy that walks into a dealership ill-prepared.

I also like the fact when you are just looking, you are free to look around the lot without a vulture on your back. That was my biggest peeve decades ago.

What I do notice is service depts treating us the same as as they always do. We are a bunch of dumb a$$. If I find a service manager that wants to treat me like a human being, believe me, I stick to him like Velcro. Unfortunately Jim bounce around dealerships partly because management thinks he is not profitable? I follow him from one town to another and from one car make to another. he is worth it. Yet car dealers think he is a pain. Right now he is at the Dodge dealership in Nashua. =(
Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
Coastal Laker

Default Update

I haven't been on the forum for a while and just caught up on the posts. WOW you folks had some fun getting off topic a few times! Anyway, once engaging with legal counsel it is typically inappropriate to share details as it may compromise the legal process - especially given that "they" are reading these posts.

So, sorry that's all I have to offer for an update.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Coastal Laker For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (04-13-2012), BroadHopper (04-13-2012), upthesaukee (04-12-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #23
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Laker View Post
I haven't been on the forum for a while and just caught up on the posts. WOW you folks had some fun getting off topic a few times! Anyway, once engaging with legal counsel it is typically inappropriate to share details as it may compromise the legal process - especially given that "they" are reading these posts.

So, sorry that's all I have to offer for an update.
If you are truly going the legal route, my advice is pay for the repair (use an independant shop), and then sue. Unlike other cases make sure you understand NH law. You can likely do this in small claims as well which means no lawyer needed and you have clearly defined damages. You just need to make sure you follow the process as spelled out in the warranty.

Also be aware that the dealers can all see warranty and repair notes so if you go to another dealer they may not touch it. And if you say the word "lawyer" as a threat to them, they are robot trained to say ok, "I can't work on your car then".

Not to discourage you but a case like this with legal fees is probably going to cost you almost as much to get it repaired. My guess is you can have an independant shop get a used motor and swap it in for $2500 or less. An attorney (unless you have a family one doing pro bono) is going to cost at least half of that I suspect and you still won't have a repaired vehicle.

I'd fix it to be "whole" first, then take my chances in small claims. Gets you best resolution and most pain for them.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #24
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
That's what my Brother-in-Law thought also, he has had 3 rav4's. The one he has now is 2009 and since last october has been using 1 quart of oil every 1500 miles, he has taken it to the dealer every 4 weeks and they are still saying that it is within toyota's operating standards. They have been doing the oil changes since new and still refuse to take any blame. 100,000 mile warrantee will be up in 3000 miles. This past wednesday they took the car in and did a complete evaluation and found that the motor, transmission, and both half axels in the front end need to be replaced at a cost of $10,000.00
They will find out Monday or Tuesday what they plan on doing. Could be Totaled! But Toyota have put them thru Hell for the last 5 months, what's the sense of offering a warrantee if you do not have intentions of honoring it.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #25
AB_Monterey

"Not all oil changes are created equal. Anyone getting a $25 oil change better know what oil and filter is being used."

Well, I should point out that the dealer is actually a few bucks higher but they keep sending me coupons. I get the tires rotated for free at Tire Warehouse who matched my Tirerack.com online price.

Hey, I did my own oil changes since I got my first car so I know you can save a couple bucks and if I was unhappy with what I was getting from the dealer, I'd probably go back to doing them myself. But they actually do many of those things you mentioned.

In fact, the last 4 oil changes have made me $200. Somehow I got into intellishop.com email and they have reimbursed me for the oil changes plus paid me for my time if I agree to answer a few questions about the experience. The last two changes were free plus $100 each.

Can't beat that.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #26
lawn psycho

If a valve seal is bad it can dump oil and not be visible.

If you don't see any leaks, you either have oil blowing by the pistons or going into the exhuast system via the valve train. Pretty much comes down to one of two things.

1. Take off your spark plugs and see how they look.
2. Remove intake to throttle body and see if you see oil.
3. See if you PCV valve is plugged.
4. Do you get puff of bluish color smoke when you start car?
5. Has car ever overheated?

And if you keep running car sucking down that much oil (suprised it's not smoking while running) then you are going to plug up your catalytic converters in short order. First thing your going to get is a check engine light than car running like doo doo once you reach that point. The cats do an amazing job of hiding smoke from exhaust (until they get plugged).

Death spiral of a motor.......