Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
joey2665

Default Laconia State School

Interesting article on the development of the old state school

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...091817be4.html

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
Descant

Default Health c are?

Includes a 100,000 square foot health care facility? I wonder what sort of health care. Lakes Region General Hospital and the Belknap County Nursing Home are not far away.
In my neck of the woods, developers in mixed use zoning always want to build the residential part, putting pressure on school costs and then leave town before building the commercial part that is supposed to be a tax offset to residential.
Nevertheless, it will probably be a good thing to get this beautiful site active again.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:21 PM   #3
WinnisquamZ

Why must this site be developed? I prefer it to become part of the state park system.

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Why must this site be developed? I prefer it to become part of the state park system.

I think a combination on state park residential and maybe some retail or commercial. This would serve a few issues including keeping a good portion of green space plus bring in tax dollars

Old 12-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #5
Biggd

Quote:

Because Laconia needs more money to waste. Can't collect taxes on a state park.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
Descant

State Parks bring in business activity indirectly instead of directly. They improve property values in the general area.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #7
dt5150

Quote:

yeah, so do i. we live pretty much right behind it, adjacent to ahern state park. we've discussed this quite a bit, and we're considering moving, depending on what they do with it.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #8
WinnisquamZ

Many years away from a shovel in the ground building something on this property. The environmental groups have been silent during all these discussions, waiting to hear wait they say once a plan is identified. One major concern that killed a project next to this land back in the 80í was water runoff. Once you start to build these areas up along the lake, driveways, septic, rain water all become serious issues that canít be easily solved to the satisfaction of the lake lovers and tree huggers. Ties the developers up in court for years to come. ****, we canít even fertilize our lawn or cut down a tree.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #9
gravy boat

Location: Gilford yr round, W. Alton and Bears' Den for summers

Quote:
Many years away from a shovel in the ground building something on this property. The environmental groups have been silent during all these discussions, waiting to hear wait they say once a plan is identified. One major concern that killed a project next to this land back in the 80í was water runoff. Once you start to build these areas up along the lake, driveways, septic, rain water all become serious issues that canít be easily solved to the satisfaction of the lake lovers and tree huggers. Ties the developers up in court for years to come. ****, we canít even fertilize our lawn or cut down a tree.

Forgive me - just want to clarify, not accuse - your well-fertilized lawn and landscaping is more important than the lake's health? And the impacts to not only your own property health, but also your neighboors'?

How long have you owned a home on the lake?
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #10
WinnisquamZ

Wow!! Nice jump to conclusions. If you took the time to read previous posts you would see I prefer this wonderful piece of property to be left as is and a piece of it be deeded to the State Park. To answer your question, the family has owned the same piece of property since 1966!!! You?

Old 12-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #11
gravy boat

Current property since mid 70s.

Prior property from 50s to 70s.

Before that - we were an original family at Lake Shore Park...pitching tents before there were any buildings.

But again- i didnt mean to accuse. Was a question.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #12
gravy boat

Default Correction

My mother was born early 30s and spent summers at LSP.. and her mother did, as well.

My uncle - who drops in on this forum from time to time - also spent summers at LSP as a child.

Current property owned since early 70s. LSP camp long before.

My original comment was in response to “*** we cant even fertilize our lawn..” i thought you were complaining about not being able to fertilize your lawn due to the negative impact to the lake. I obviously misunderstood.

Last edited by gravy boat; 12-07-2018 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #13
WinnisquamZ

My comment about the grass was a bit sarcastic. Have yet to understand the need to develop this piece of property. Many other open parcels around that can do what the city thinks it needs to do. But, as all the articles say, the city is unclear or in other words have no clue what needs to be done. Believe it is time to start making our voices heard

Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 AM   #14
joey2665

Quote:
My comment about the grass was a bit sarcastic. Have yet to understand the need to develop this piece of property. Many other open parcels around that can do what the city thinks it needs to do. But, as all the articles say, the city is unclear or in other words have no clue what needs to be done. Believe it is time to start making our voices heard

I agree the city does not have a clear plan but you cannot just leave the facility idle. The existing building will continue to deteriorate unless maintained as with the grounds which all cost money with no revenue from the location coming in and it will continue to be a drain on the economy
Old 12-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #15
WinnisquamZ

If city and state revenue is the end game why would you not break off the waterfront lots and other parcels and sell to the high bidder. Each waterfront lot is worth a min of 600k each. Plus all future taxes associated with each property.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:39 PM   #16
fatlazyless

All the Lake Winnisquam waterfront land that used to be part of the Laconia State School for Feeble-minded Children property, 1903-1991 http://www.abandonedplaces.wikia.com...a_State_School, stretching from Lake Winnisquam to Lake Opechee became 124-acre Ahern State Park in 1994.

The old state school buildings with all its' issues including asbestos, underground oil tanks, identified and lost unknown graves of deceased school children/adults/student-inmates and attached surrounding land could maybe get SOLD by the State of NH to the City of Laconia and this is how many acres of land ...... do not know? The state has a very nice piece of land they want to sell to the city ........ oh buoy ....... three cheers for the state ...... hut-hut-hut!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahern_State_Park ....... Everyone reading this is required to click on the link to the LaDaSun article from 2016 on Ahern State Park, by Gordon DuBois, and read through it slowly, three times! There will be a 20-question pop quiz tomorrow at 8-am.

"I wonder why so few visit this park. ..... Nothing exists like it in the lakes region" ...... 128-acres ..... 3500' Winnisquam shoreline ..... open land .... little used ... a very small natural sandy beach ...... seems the 3500' shoreline is probably all trees and big rocks.....trails for hiking ..... a state park? .... https://www.nhstateparks.org/visit/s...ern-state-park with trails map from 2013 .... and TripAdvisor has about 23 different reviews from park visitors and 13-photos ...... "This is the real New Hampshire, an undeveloped beach. It was always called the secret beach because the tourists don't know about it." ........ park user/entry fee-no charge ..... apparently, this a state park that is free to use, courtesy the NH State Parks system ..... is this correct ...... really ..... my type of a price ..... el zero ..... and I've never been there ..... do you get what you pay for ..... or do local users/volunteers keep it clean and pristine?

Potentially, a mega multi million dollar Laconia waterfront area, all designed out with roads, house lots, high quality residential construction, residents, property taxes, a real happening area ...... but thankfully is much much better as a free-to-use state park that sees little use ...... pays no local property tax ..... has no incoming revenue ..... and just hobbles along with a worn down entry road and no on-site park employee(s) ...... hubba-hubba ..... it's just there! ....... hmmmmm ......... live free or die ...... gotta love it!

Ahern was probably William J. Ahern, a Democrat from Concord, NH, born in 1855 and he maybe had a political connection with the New Hampshire School for Feeble-minded Children....... don't know yet?

Bartlett Beach, a City of Laconia beach with 600 feet of shoreline on 3.7 acres is nearby, but on the south side of the Winnipesaukee River, and is not part of the Laconia State School property. It is maybe one mile(?) to the south from Ahern State Park, along the Winnisquam shoreline.

Last edited by fatlazyless; Yesterday at 11:43 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:08 AM   #17
WinnisquamZ

Default Laconia State School

Thank you for that correction. Then I repeat myself and and ask that we grow the Ahern State Park by 100 acres. Add trails and even weekend camping sites. Then deed off a few of those residential view tax lots for city revenue they sorely seek.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:45 AM   #18
joey2665

Quote:
Thank you for that correction. Then I repeat myself and and ask that we grow the Ahern State Park by 100 acres. Add trails and even weekend camping sites. Then deed off a few of those residential view tax lots for city revenue they sorely seek.

I think the property is large enough that both interests can be sufficiently satisfied. By all means increase the size of the park and add amenities which would be a huge draw to the area in addition to selling off locations for building. Increase tax income and increase green space. Everyone wins.