Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Lake Life

Default Snowshoeing Group

I am a new full time resident to the Lakes Region, and am intererested in finding places to snowshoe...besides the lake. Any ideas? Are there trails that would be suitable for snowshoeing?

Also, if there is anyone interested in forming a snowshoe group to meet regularly and get together to snowshoe in the area, please reply. I live in Moultonborough, but would be interested in forming a group in Moultonborough, Center Harbor, Meredith, or Sandwich. We did this in Nashua in Mines Falls Park along the trails there. We met twice weekly to snowshoe for an hour or more. It was a great time. It's more fun when there is a group!

Anyone interested? Please reply....
Lake Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
State

I love snow shoeing. It's my favorite sport. What I like to do is walk across a frozen Lake Kanasatka and walk up old logging roads up the southern hump of Red Hill until I get to Junction 8 of the snowmobile trail.

I often get quizzical glances from the helmets with my dogs and me being so far from home.

Shorter walks include the Loon Center and I esp. like a hidden gem on Center Harbor Neck Road the Proctor Sanctuary, an Audubon land with a 40-minute loop.

Another favorite hike is Doublehead Mtn, parking off a dead-end road called "Mountain Road" on the Squam Lakes Conservation map. It's in Sandwich, off Rte. 113. It gets a little steep but the views are extremely rewarding. Plus, it is rarely hiked, unlike some of its Squam Range hilltop neighbors.

Another very good place, esp. on weekdays, is the Chamberlain-Reynolds area off College Road in Center Harbor.

I used to be fast but my knees are beginning to show their age.
State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Lake Life

Default Showshoeing Trails

Thanks, those all sound like good options and certainly more than I was aware of! Now, all we need is some snow!
Lake Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
ghfromaltonbay

Default Squam Lakes Science Center

The Squam Lakes Science Center has snowshoeing activities listed on their website. They even mention that snowshoes are available at no extra charge.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote