Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2018, 07:11 PM   #1
Jean

Default North vs South side of lake for boating

How is boating in the Moultonborough area, especially for newbies? I seem to recall seeing in previous threads that there may be some more hazards and it's pretty far to get to restaurants, ice cream, etc. Is it more remote but enjoyable? Is it easier to find a slip on northern side or is it just as difficult as south side? I'm curious what the pros and cons are.

We have been having a hard time finding an affordable vacation home with water access on south side of the lake but have seen a few on north side in and around Moultonborough. It's a further drive but there seem to be a lot more options for single family water access under $175k.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
jeffk

I had a home in Moultonborough for 20 years. It IS further away for everything. If you are a person that just wants to get where you are going, that extra time might become an annoyance. If you like riding on the lake it's beautiful with the mountains in the background. Navigation isn't that tough once you get used to it. Follow the dashed navigation lines on a chart and take your time until you know your way around and you won't have any problems except in a few very tight places. Those aren't along the main navigation routes anyway. A positive of being in that area is that there are a lot of places to kayak and generally the water is calmer. It worked great for me. Oh, the taxes are generally a LOT more reasonable in Moultonborough as well! Also, that "further away" thing applies to services available by car as well. There are smaller, but more expensive places, like Skelley's but, depending exactly where you are, it can be a 20+ minute drive to get to other things, like a hardware or grocery store. If you do a little thinking ahead and get things from several places at once, it isn't a problem.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:21 AM   #3
Prestige Worldwide

Also, the closer you get to greens basin, the murkier the water gets. I prefer boating and swimming in clear water.
Prestige Worldwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:55 AM   #4
rsmlp

Default North Vs South

We live at South point on Long Island and it is pretty much dead center in the lake. A pain to DRIVE to but once your there-a slice of heaven. No more than a 30 minute boat ride from all major eateries. eastern exposure gives us amazing sunsets. The "Neck" is-a 9.5 mile driveway...
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

We're in the second-to-last cove in the North (Hanson) and love it. Sure, it takes a little longer to get places, but we can do anything--tubing, anchoring out, sunset cruises, kayaking, swimming, etc.--for more days a year because it's much quieter and sheltered. The views--mountains, Castle in the Clouds, small towns--are also much more pleasant. The only real drawback, really, is getting to the ports/sandbars, cut that also makes those times special.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
We live at South point on Long Island and it is pretty much dead center in the lake. A pain to DRIVE to but once your there-a slice of heaven. No more than a 30 minute boat ride from all major eateries. eastern exposure gives us amazing sunsets. The "Neck" is-a 9.5 mile driveway...
I rented a house out there one year. It's a fantastic spot but it adds a half hour to your drive every weekend. A little too much for me.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #7
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Moultonboro Neck! Far Echo Harbor!

Moultonboro Neck!

There are 2 side to Moultonboro Neck. The "BAY" Side and for use of a better word the "Kona".

As for a Seasonal Home, we bought in Far Echo Harbor. We enjoyed it, good Neighbors, Best Beach anywhere on the Neck, and 2 minutes to Jo Jo's, BEST SUBS anywhere, greater Steaks and Chops.

Several years later we bought land in the Kona Area. Left Far Echo and built our Dream Hone 18 years ago. Good size Ranch with walk out Cellar.

The one thing about Moultonboro are the Taxes. They have traditionally been the lowest in the area. It is said we have the most Shore Line Frontage on the Lake.

As for Boating we have Welcraft 232 Eclipse. To Me the best time on the Lake is a Night, takes a lot of "Hours" to know the Lake.

Little Toot!
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #8
FlyingScot

Boating and watersports are definitely easier on the south side of the lake, but the north side has its charms.

I think the tough thing is the $175K budget for water access. You may be best looking at condos in larger associations.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #9
Little Bear

Here's a condo with deeded boat slip for $167.9 asking price. I actually owned a unit in this place about 15 years ago. Nice group of people at the time.

https://nh.craigslist.org/reo/d/laco...581236738.html
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Here's a condo with deeded boat slip for $167.9 asking price. I actually owned a unit in this place about 15 years ago. Nice group of people at the time.

https://nh.craigslist.org/reo/d/laco...581236738.html
If we didn't have dogs this might work but unfortunately we are leaning toward a single family home where we can have a fenced in yard for them. It's likely going to mean being further from water and doing more maintenance ourselves but we are realizing that may be easier to deal with than trying to play ball in a small indoor space!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote