Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
wadden

Smile Coe House

I know that the Coe House is scheduled to open 7 days/week beginning June 23, but does anyone know whether they are opening on a more limited basis (eg weekends) prior to that time? Thanks!
wadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
MeredithNeck

Default Coe House

They are opening May 6th, Thursday-Sunday!!!
http://www.coehousenh.com/
MeredithNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithNeck For This Useful Post:
trfour (04-26-2010)
Old 04-27-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Coe House was moving new stoves and seemed to be doing lots of remodel work or something, what with a 53' trailer van parked outside for maybe a month.

Am patiently waiting for the Coe Dollar Menu before visiting!

Gotta wonder....is the Coe House a business....or a hobby?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Gotta wonder....is the Coe House a business....or a hobby?
It seems to me like a really expensive hobby. I don't see how they could be anywhere near break even on the place since they took over. The property itself came with a pretty hefty price tag, there was a lot a rehab done prior to opening a few years ago, it's furnished and decorated with some pretty high end stuff, they're open less then half the year, and when I've been in there there were not many other customers.

I haven't been for a couple of years but, other than the bar, I recall it being a rather stuffy environment, real quite and uptight.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
wadden

Smile

Thank you. Meredith Neck. We have been dining at the Coe House for years, and the food always has been excellent. We enjoy having a higher end restaurant in the area that is relatively quiet and refined for a nice dinner experience once in a while. There are plenty of lively places to go for a good meal as well - it's all about choices, and we are fortunate to have some great ones on the north side of the lake.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Definitely not a hobby...

...but would have to be termed either 1. A labor of love; or 2. A dream of a lifetime. Either way, a lot of work, and hopefully, a great deal of satisfaction.

Best wishes to Coe House on the upcoming season.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
Allday

Smile Coe House Restaurant

I would like to intoduce myself. My name is Jeff Day and I am the chef and partner with Luke Dupuis of Home Comfort for the last three years. We are opening on May 6th and will be running Thursday-Sunday serving @ 5pm until the end of May. Once summer is in full swing, we will be open seven days a week.
We have a few new things this year with an expanded pub and pub menu. We are also opening for Mother's Day brunch from 10-3 with carved Prime Rib, a raw bar along with other brunch items.
Starting in June, we will be offering Saturday and Sunday plated brunch, serving lunch and some breakfast items lsuch as lobster benedict and Prime Rib hash and eggs.

Unfortunately, we will not be offering a dollor menu (sorry fatlazyless) and we will continue to shed the stuffy percetion for a more casual one. We welcome everyone.

Please check out my other hobbies @ www.reallifedining.com

Thanks for all your support
Jeff
Allday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Allday For This Useful Post:
mcdude (04-27-2010), upthesaukee (04-27-2010), Winnigirl83 (04-27-2010)
Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
donnamatrix

Default Yum to the Coe House

Hi Jeff and Luke: Some of us are eagerly awaiting the reopening of CH. Sounds like the extended pub area will be fun also. Last time we were there I had the vegetarian dinner (am not a vegetarian per se), and it was one of the yummiest meals EVER. The grilled polenta was to die for. We wish you all the success possible.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
I recall it being a rather stuffy environment, real quite and uptight.
My wife and I actually seek those kind of restaurants May not be the best fit for the Lakes Region but let me tell you nothing beats a quiet dinner with good food and service.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Happy Gourmand

Default Your "hobby"

One of the hobbies in that link is the 104 Diner.....isn't that part of the Common Man? Are you associated with theCommon Man restaurants?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
One of the hobbies in that link is the 104 Diner.....isn't that part of the Common Man? Are you associated with theCommon Man restaurants?
Yes, from the C'Man website.

"The newest additions to the Common Man family will be a Common Man restaurant in Portsmouth, Alex's first foray to the seacoast area, and converting Bobby's Girl Diner in New Hampton to The 104 Diner, a partner venture with area restaurateur Jeff Day."
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Shore Driver

I had no idea Coe House even had a pub....I shall check it out this summer
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
My wife and I actually seek those kind of restaurants May not be the best fit for the Lakes Region but let me tell you nothing beats a quiet dinner with good food and service.
I can certainly appreciate that. To each, his own. I have no problem with an elegant decor, although that's not what I would normally seek out up at the lake, sometimes it's just the ticket. But that's not exactly what I meant with Coe House. Maybe its because they had just recently opened the doors for the first time, but the place was virtually empty on a Saturday night. We had a group of 6. We were seated in the "wall paper room". Not sure if that's what they call it but those who have seen it probably understand. Anyway, it was the 6 of us and one other couple on the opposite side of the room for the entire evening. The food and service where fine from what I recall, but we all had an uncomfortable feeling about talking or laughing too loud the whole time. We weren't overly loud but it seemed that the whole restaurant could hear everything we said if we spoke above a whisper. It was just an uncomfortable feeling that we all shared but none of us talked about until after we left. I did like the pub atmosphere though. I would like to see the whole downstairs redone with to reflect the atmosphere of the pub. I would bet it would work out better for them in the long run. One man's opinion.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #14
wadden

We enjoy the elegance of the front room, and when we have 5 or more the round table is our favorite. Don't change it please! The other rooms are more casual and I think folks like black cat would be comfortable there. Luke and Jeff - you have done are terrific job with the restaurant, and we look forward to your spring opening.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Gatto Nero

Default Didn't know the other rooms were different

In that case I guess I'll have to give the other rooms a try.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #16
Hermit Cover

Smile Coe House Mother's Day Brunch

In just a few words....Mother's Day Brunch was a great success. The food was great, the service was exceptional and the rooms were lovely. Can't wait to go back for dinner or lunch. Great Job!!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:23 PM   #17
wadden

We had our first Coe House dinner of the season Sat. night (in the President's room, our favorite) and the entire experience was first rate, as usual. Excellent food, nice wines, good and friendly service. Jeff and Luke have it right!!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #18
jacka82942

Default great mothers day brunch

best sunday brunch we've had in lakes region. all freshly made food. great selections.
only issue was the pricing. 9$ for a kir royale and 24.95 for the brunch is a little pricey. hopefull those were only mothers day prices.
jacka82942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #19
Pineedles

Default Coe History

Just a little history added here about the Coe House, courtesy of my grandfather from his "Reminisces of Center Harbor" speech that I transcribed and posted some time ago. Time frame is 1895 or so.

"Back to the Square. Let’s go east. First was (and is) the stately Coe Mansion with its beautiful wall paper in the front room. Waddie (Wadsworth) Coe was a striking gentleman, frequently in a very stately garb of Colonial days. Not so along towards night when we would go up in the late afternoon and watch him milk his Jersey cows and incidentally get a cup of nice warm milk. Mrs. Coe was a charming little stately lady. She was librarian, the library held an ell on the west side of the main dwelling."
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Grady223 (05-12-2010), Lucky1 (05-11-2010), Pepper (05-11-2010)