Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Overlake97

Thumbs up Mountainside Restaurant @ Gunstock Country Inn

My wife and I finally tried this place last night. We were the only people there, but the chef lit the fireplace right next to our table to make us feel right at home. In short, the food was great! I had the seafood alfredo, and even before I started into the generous morsels of scallops, shrimp and lobster, I could taste the seafood essence in the creme sauce. Excellent! Usually, when ordering alfredo, I ask for some grated cheese on the side - just in case. But I didn't need it this time. I ended up eating about 60%, and taking the rest home for a 'snack,' because I wanted to try a dessert. My wife had a filet mignon, which she also loved. For that dessert I'd held back for, I tried their tirimisu tort. It reminded me of a boston creme cake, and was also very good.

I'm not sure why this place had so few customers. Probably the hit and miss history of restaurants as this location has something to do with it, or the fact that they don't usually advertise the restaurant right on the main sign by the road (except for signs at ground level announcing: STEAK, SEAFOOD; LUNCH, DINNER), or the fact that you have to walk through the hotel lobby to get in (a separate entrance is always a good idea). Also, until recently, the Gunstock Country Inn website did not even mention the restaurant; but now they have the menu posted, which I think is pretty important.

It would be nice to see the popularity of the "Mountainside" increase, especially being so close to Gunstock Acres. The best part about our dinner last night, besides the great food, was the very short drive home!
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
JimD

Is there a view of the lake?
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking So Glad You Enjoyed Mountainside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
I'm not sure why this place had so few customers. Probably the hit and miss history of restaurants as this location has something to do with it, or the fact that they don't usually advertise the restaurant right on the main sign by the road (except for signs at ground level announcing: STEAK, SEAFOOD; LUNCH, DINNER), or the fact that you have to walk through the hotel lobby to get in (a separate entrance is always a good idea). Also, until recently, the Gunstock Country Inn website did not even mention the restaurant; but now they have the menu posted, which I think is pretty important.

It would be nice to see the popularity of the "Mountainside" increase, especially being so close to Gunstock Acres. The best part about our dinner last night, besides the great food, was the very short drive home!
Glad to see that the Gunstock Inn added Mountainside Restaurant and Lounge to their site.
I e-mailed them a few weeks ago about that. As you stated, it is very important. Both businesses can and should help each other. The restaurant is not run by the inn, but is run by Michael, the former owner of Michael's at Weirs Beach.

I wish Michael well with this relatively new venture. I hope it will be a very busy summer season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Is there a view of the lake?
From the Inn, but not from the restaurant.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
JimD (03-05-2010), Whimsey (03-05-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
mets3007

Ahhh memories I used to go to Gunstock Inn back in the 1980s and early 1990s the food was always good. I know it changed but it brings back memories.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote