Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Heff

Default Snowshoes

I am looking to by snowshoes, for my wife and 2 children for Christmas. Where in the area is the best place to purchase? New would be preferred, but used would be just fine if they are in decent condition.
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
JimD

I was recently at WalMart in Tilton and noticed they had a large inventory on hand. Craigslist usually has numerous listings, which to me is also a warning that these are one of those items that may not get used as much as you hope. I am no expert, but I bought some a couple years ago and I would suggest buying "modern" type with the crampons/cleats on the bottom, with good but easy to operate bindings. Some of the kids bindings have limited adjustment and do not fit well to their footwear. The footwear for the kids is very important, loose fitting "snow boots" will not work. The kids need to wear something more like a hiking boot that fits tightly on their feet. Also, if you look at the ski shops and sporting goods stores for the higher end shoes you will notice they are very expensive. We have numerous pairs now so that when we have guests we can strap them on and go. They have been a big hit.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Sunrise Point

Craig's list is one of the best ways to go if you don't mind used equipment. We purchased 2 pairs of used Tubbs from Boston Craig's list last week.

I agree with JimD...easy to operate bindings (try using them with gloves on) and crampons (especially the hinged ones on the Tubbs) are very important.

Do your research first, Tubbs and LLBean both have good specifications on their websites.

Good luck!
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
jmen24

As mentioned do your homework, get yourself sized for the shoes, different brands will allows for smaller sized shoes based on weight (gone are the days of bigger is better, my runners are about 18" long). Then try them out, they have to feel correct or you will hate walking in them. I would recommend going into stores that hire knowledgable folks in the sport (Not really LL bean or walmart/ try REI, EMS or local ski shop that DEALS in snowshoes, different than having them for sale) and have them answer your questions, then go out and find the best deal. EDIT: LL Bean and Walmart are quite fine for purchasing your shoes, but you really want to be fitted properly for your weight. The sky is the limit when it comes to cost, but do not spend alot at first, get into it and see how serious you are.

Also while you are shopping pick up a pair a Gators to go with the shoes for you and your wife (and depending on the age of your children, them too, only if they are above 8 or so), that way you and wife can wear lighter weight clothing. Keep the young kids in the snow pants, it took my 4 year old daughter half the season to get used to the fact that she could not just turn around the first year.

If you have never done this before I will offer one more piece of advice even with the gators on, do not wear jeans or any other cotton clothing, up or down, you will be very cold before long from snow or sweat. If you are breaking trail you WILL get snow thrown up your back, but a decent jacket and a blend pant with LJ's under you will be very comfortable and will be light enough to constantly help dig the kids out of the snow.

One of the best family activities you can do, have fun.

Last edited by jmen24; 11-20-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Clarification
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Sunrise Point

Default Sale!

I just picked up my mail. There was a flyer from Eastern Mountain Sports...they have men's and women's Tubbs '08 Venture snowshoes $169.99 selling at 50% off for $84.99 (while supplies last).
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

You got good advice from jmen 24 on doing your homework and going to a store like EMS to get educated even if you buy from Walmart later. Also Sunrise Point noted the sale at EMS. The EMS site has a lot of choices by weight and intended use: http://www.ems.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3701091

Two important features to look for:

1. Bindings that are easy to use as well as secure. Having a snowshoe come off in deep powder and then having to take your gloves off to fuss with a poorly designed binding is not fun. What works well in the store may not work well in the snow.

2. A rotating pivot device under the toe that allows the heel to drop when you lift a foot. This allows for shedding of snow off the back, makes it much easier to step up a steep bank and allows the toe crampon to get a better grip.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
trfour

Thumbs up Also Check Out...

Piche's Ski & Sport Shop
Gilford, NH. 524-2068

And their Outlet Shop
Belmont, NH. 527-3551

On line link; http://www.piches.com/ski.htm

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Just Sold

Default Try: Play It Again Sports

Here is one place to find used and new snow shoes:

Play it Again Sports in NH: 37 Plaistow Road Plaistow,28 Corduroy Rd Amherst and Route 16, Conway, NH

Play It Again Sports® is your neighborhood sporting goods storeoffering new and quality used sports and fitness equipment. Kids growlike weeds, teens want name brand everything and you want affordableprices! That is why Play It Again Sports® is the sporting goods storefor your entire family. We buy, sell and trade new and used sportsequipment and fitness gear and pass along the savings to you! We carrypopular brands like Nike®, Adidas®, Taylor Made®, Wilson®, Easton® andmore.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
magicrobotmonkey

Shoot, i was gonna recommend the gunstock ski sale, but its already passed...

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...=2009-11-7&c=1
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote