Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #101
twoplustwo

In this case, I expose your double standard with previous posts.

The facts are clear with the summer skimmer. The facts have not been made public with the Blizzard accident. Once they are out there, I can and will have my opinion. At that point, you can decide if several of us of have that double standard you've accused us of having. Until that point, your accusations are baseless and insulting.

I call the kid and his actions moronic. You like to refer to them as 'something disagreeable on the lake'. You say potahhto.. If my use of the term moron offends you, I can only suggest that filter again, as you won't convince me that his actions were anything other than moronic.

If my teen pulled a stunt like that, her only means of transportation would be those two things known as feet at the bottom of her legs, and those would be handcuffed together, for good measure.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #102
sa meredith

Default Already then

Smile...it's a new day..and the Sox won last night.
To each, his own.
Probably got a bit carried away yesterday...I do that sometimes.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #103
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Smile...it's a new day..and the Sox won last night.
To each, his own.
Probably got a bit carried away yesterday...I do that sometimes.

LOL everyone does. I've quietly read through the thread and see that everyone had their minds channeled differently. The skimming incident points to daredevil stupidity. These aren't controlled events that have a high likelihood of succeeding, they have a high rate of failure. Yes, it is illegal. This article points to the main problem.

http://www.freelists.org/archives/ka.../msg00034.html

I'd have to say, people doing that on a lake, especially where they did it, are pretty much on their own.

It's not a good analogy to use the boating accident. Boats belong on the lake, and it's not illegal, or inherently dangerous. Perhaps the conditions were such that she screwed up, possibly something else contributed to the mishap. We'll know soon. It's had a tremendous impact on families and friends, as any accident and fatality does. That doesn't change. People's feelings towards the operator do change depending on the circumstances, which is fair. If some moron drives into a rock ledge at 100mph on the highway and is drunk beyond sane, my sympathies lie with the survivors, not the operator. If someone rides a snow machine in the lake, tries to turn and sinks and drowns, same answer.

There are many tragedies everyday, some are simply accidents and can't be avoided, others involve decisions that were misjudgments that failed despite good intentions. Still others are avoidable, and involve stupid decisions, with the full intent of being reckless and careless, whether it be for the thrill of it or just because. These can only be prevented by the operator, not society. There's only so much sincere sympathy out there, and it shouldn't be reserved for stupid.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #104
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Let's get back on track!

The last few post are moving away from the original Qusetion. How dumb is dumb?

Most post are negelcting the fact that there were 2 individuels that attempted this "STUNT". We have gone from the 150' rule. No-Wake Zone and now to the boating "ACCIDENT" off of Diamond.

May be it is time to close this thread?
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 PM   #105
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
The last few post are moving away from the original Qusetion. How dumb is dumb?

Most post are negelcting the fact that there were 2 individuels that attempted this "STUNT". We have gone from the 150' rule. No-Wake Zone and now to the boating "ACCIDENT" off of Diamond.

May be it is time to close this thread?
Well some said dumb, some said stooooopid, ignorant, dangerous, legal/illegal, you name it.

There were two individuals that attempted this "stunt". If you have more explanations to add regarding the dumbness factor, maybe we won't have to close this thread.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #106
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default There is more out there?

If you have not got your fill of this topic there is another Thread on the General Forum covering this.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...8118#post78118

Enjoy!

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 08-06-2008 at 01:24 PM.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 PM   #107
pontiac464

Default Please

What I dont get is how these kids can even be compared to the people on that boat. They didnt kill anybody, 1. They werent intoxicated, 2. Lastely, they put others in far less danger than those girls did. What is wrong with people even comparing the 2 situations. Get a clue!
pontiac464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #108
chmeeee

In related news, for those that would like to see this for themselves, check out Top Gear on BBC America on Saturday at 4 PM. It was on tonight (actually a rerun from 2005 in Britain, but new to here). They raced a snowmobile against a Jeep across a lake.
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #109
woodswalk

Default charge dropped

guess you really have to choose your words wisely (Today's Citizen)
woodswalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #110
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswalk View Post
guess you really have to choose your words wisely (Today's Citizen)
Here's the link. http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...925/-1/CITIZEN

Looks like justice was served. He was busted for driving a snowmobile over open water. Charges for reckless conduct were dropped. The first charge implies the second, so there was no cause for the second charge. It looks like he got away with speeding in a no-wake zone though. He paid his fool-fee and has stories to tell. Another lake legand is written, and nobody was hurt.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #111
sa meredith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Here's the link. http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...925/-1/CITIZEN

Looks like justice was served. He was busted for driving a snowmobile over open water. Charges for reckless conduct were dropped. The first charge implies the second, so there was no cause for the second charge. It looks like he got away with speeding in a no-wake zone though. He paid his fool-fee and has stories to tell. Another lake legand is written, and nobody was hurt.
Well said, Lakegeezer.
A stunt that will be fun to talk about by him and friends/family for years to come. A bit foolish, yes. But, no harm done.
As I have said before...thru the years, different generations do different things. Time was when it was "cool" to jump off the Weirs Bridge, or jump the Mount's wake. Foolish things, but great stories/memories.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #112
GWC...

Quote:
Well said, Lakegeezer.
A stunt that will be fun to talk about by him and friends/family for years to come. A bit foolish, yes. But, no harm done.
As I have said before...thru the years, different generations do different things. Time was when it was "cool" to jump off the Weirs Bridge, or jump the Mount's wake. Foolish things, but great stories/memories.
Miller won because of technicalities.

Doubt he'll be laughing when he receives Sisti's bill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlineLaconia Citizen
Although the charge was ultimately dismissed, Judge McKenna had a few stern words for Miller.

"This is not to say people ought to go out and around and do this sort of thing," he said, "It's dumb. Had there been someone in the way of this machine there could have been a whole different outcome."

"Mr. Miller, don't do stupid things like this," McKenna said as he left the courtroom.

Miller told the judge that there is a time and place for skimming and that he races professionally in the sport that will soon be showcased in Epsom.

"You'll excuse me if I don't attend," McKenna concluded.
Apparently, Miller is a slow learner of his own wordage...

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...925/-1/CITIZEN
Old 10-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #113
COWISLAND NH

Good for Mr Miller. Wish I got to see it...no harm except to him
COWISLAND NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #114
sa meredith

Default Sisti

I'm looking at this name all day..."Sisti"...and thinking, "why do I know this name?"
I believe this is the guy who defended Pam Smart when she had her husband killed back in the early 90's.
Little piece of useless information for everyone...
Old 10-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #115
wifi

Some people I know judge a persons guilt by whether they use that lawyer or not... of course, I am just kidding
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:31 PM   #116
NightWing

Quote:
I'm looking at this name all day..."Sisti"...and thinking, "why do I know this name?"
I believe this is the guy who defended Pam Smart when she had her husband killed back in the early 90's.
He also defended Dan Littlefield in the fatal a few years ago.
NightWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #117
GWC...

Quote:
To bring this post a little closer to the Lake, Mark Sisti, as in, the Littlefield trial.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:35 AM   #118
sa meredith

Default Littlefield

How many years did Littlefield get?
And, am I right to say, at that time, Meredith Bay was not the no wake zone that it is now?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #119
pontiac464

Default Fisrt skimmer gets charges dropped

The first skimmer got some of his charges dropped. John Miller was the first of two that day to take a chance and give it a go, both were unsuccessfull. miller got marine wreckless conduct dropped and was charged only with fish and game violations.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #120
pontiac464

Default Miller gets charges dropped

John Miller got charges Dropped. I say good for him. What does everyone else think.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #121
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac464 View Post
John Miller got charges Dropped. I say good for him. What does everyone else think.

If he was facing jail time, good for him. That stunt did not deserve jail time. If he was only facing fines, well, he was probably better off getting the lawyer in the long run, but I bet the legal fees exceed the fines. If I were the judge, I think some sort of embarassing community service would have been in order.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote