Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Mantus Anchor Review

Hi All,
As mentioned in a few other threads, I've been the victim anchor ennui--essentially, I've had a lame anchor for a while but always put up with it. Until a few weeks ago when it took me six tries and a friendly boater to get me set at West Alton sandbar. My boat is a 20' Harris Tritoon with Merc. 150 and 10' bimini.
So I set out and researched and researched and researched. The anchors that receive almost unequivocally good ratings are as follows (everything I read indicated that brand name MATTERS here): Slide Anchor (box style), Fortress (Danforth style;aluminum questionable, steel great), Digger Anchor, and Mantus.
Before I proceed, there are many, many other anchors out there people are happy with, but the ones listed came up repeatedly in 'best anchors' threads and tests.
In the end, I chose a Mantus 13# for the following reasons: lifetime warranty, no moving parts (Digger gets some complaints about faulty springs, Fortress about bent flukes, slide about the hoop at top that has broken off), almost zero negative reviews or tests, shorter scope requirements, and numerous videos both by manufacturer (grain of salt) and avid, fellow nerds. Cost was $120 shipped from marinesupply.com, who shipped it within twenty minutes of talking with them. Sailor Sam's is a few bucks cheaper, and they were great on the phone, too, but didn't have it in stock.
Tests to follow.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Last edited by thinkxingu; 08-10-2016 at 11:38 AM.
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
Hillcountry

The suspense is killing me!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Test #1: Channel between Blanchard's Island and Raoul's Cove. GPS reads 12 MPH wind (video attached to show), depth = 24', rode = 6' chain, 64' rope for about 3:1 scope (Mantus recommends from 3-7:1). Bottom (from retrieving anchor) of mud/light weeds. Bimini open, pirate flag flapping.
Dropped anchor to set and held on first try. In an hour, my GPS anchor alarm set at 10' never went off (note: I believe my GPS sets a radius so swinging doesn't register). In the time we'd been there, three boats (2 pontoons, one bowrider) have not had their anchors set and have moved on.
Gonna be heading to Smith Cove for test #2 in a few.

Hillcountry (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Test #2: Smith Cove (just on edge of Moultonborough Bay). Got here around 2:30 and it's now 4:25 and we're about to pull up anchor. 21' deep here, a bit more sand than mud, wind less than at test site #1 but more boat traffic with people towing through area so more wave action (short video attached).

from Tapatalk on Vimeo.

Anchor set on first try and has held with (as best I can tell by eye and GPS) literally no movement. Not as much swinging as test site #1--wind much more directional.

I'll post my feelings next.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
thinkxingu

So here's why I wanted to post my results and will continue over the next couple weeks when I visit sandbars and other locations (the west side of Ragged will be a good test): my boat moving while 'anchored' was a legitimate concern of mine for a few reasons: we once had to chase it while swimming and, in a current and rising wind, it was hard; I like to sleep while anchored out and don't wanna wake to my outboard getting hammered on rocks; we're often close to people (sandbars/busier coves) and don't wanna be 'that guy'; if, God forbid, we ever lost power, I need to know we'd be able to stop ourselves from getting pulled into hazards; and, finally, it's just simply one thing I didn't want to deal with when boating. I wanna play with my kiddos...or sleep.

That being said, I'm kinda giddy about how well this anchor has held in what I would consider difficult situations: windy, busy, fast current. Certainly not hazardous conditions, but definitely at the extremes of where I'd be anchoring in the first place.

Really pleased with today's outing and, as mentioned, will continue to update this thread so's to maybe help people in the future.

PS Please feel free to PM me with questions or, if you'd like, to meet up and check it out.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
Hillcountry

Thank you! Sounds like you "found" your anchor!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (08-07-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
Rich

I also have a Mantus anchor.

It seems to work very well! No issues yet.

This weekend I thought I had a first issue, but I had someone on my boat manning the windlass that didn't quite know what he was doing, and he hadn't let out enough line. The anchor line was hanging almost straight down, so I don't know if the anchor was even fully touching the bottom yet. It was very windy and it took 3 or 4 tries before I finally said "let out a lot more line", all of a sudden it grabbed so hard and quickly that you could hear the anchor line creak as it stretched in the wind.

I did end up with one size too big for my boat. I have the 45 lb Mantus, and I think the 35 lb would be more than enough for my boat on our lake. So if anyone has a larger boat and would like a 45 lb galvanized Mantus, I'll save you some money, just purchase the 35 lb version and I'll swap with you.

For my boat size, the 45 lb is considered a storm anchor. This is the size where you would set if you were overnighting on the ocean and a storm could pop up, and you didn't want to worry about the anchor losing hold while you were asleep. Considering that we can never overnight on an anchor on our lake, there is no need for such a large anchor. Now if someone had a 35 to 43 ft boat, this may be a good anchor for you.

But overall, I'm very happy with the Mantus.

A dock neighbor of mine researched it also, and ended up with two. One as his main anchor and another much smaller one to use as a stern anchor. He felt the stern anchor was a good choice, as often the one he was previously using would be hard to get to set and also would break loose sometimes.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I also have a Mantus anchor.

It seems to work very well! No issues yet.

This weekend I thought I had a first issue, but I had someone on my boat manning the windlass that didn't quite know what he was doing, and he hadn't let out enough line. The anchor line was hanging almost straight down, so I don't know if the anchor was even fully touching the bottom yet. It was very windy and it took 3 or 4 tries before I finally said "let out a lot more line", all of a sudden it grabbed so hard and quickly that you could hear the anchor line creak as it stretched in the wind.

I did end up with one size too big for my boat. I have the 45 lb Mantus, and I think the 35 lb would be more than enough for my boat on our lake. So if anyone has a larger boat and would like a 45 lb galvanized Mantus, I'll save you some money, just purchase the 35 lb version and I'll swap with you.

For my boat size, the 45 lb is considered a storm anchor. This is the size where you would set if you were overnighting on the ocean and a storm could pop up, and you didn't want to worry about the anchor losing hold while you were asleep. Considering that we can never overnight on an anchor on our lake, there is no need for such a large anchor. Now if someone had a 35 to 43 ft boat, this may be a good anchor for you.

But overall, I'm very happy with the Mantus.

A dock neighbor of mine researched it also, and ended up with two. One as his main anchor and another much smaller one to use as a stern anchor. He felt the stern anchor was a good choice, as often the one he was previously using would be hard to get to set and also would break loose sometimes.
I've also given thought to a smaller one for the stern. Given that we're almost only ever worried about swinging at sandbars--shallow water that I can hand set my danforth--not sure I will.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #9
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I've also given thought to a smaller one for the stern. Given that we're almost only ever worried about swinging at sandbars--shallow water that I can hand set my danforth--not sure I will.

Swinging at sandbars? which one's do you frequent?
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (08-13-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
Rich

My neighbor has had issues with his hand thrown Danforth as a stern anchor. It often takes many tries to get it to stick. I've had the same issue.

He seems much happier now that he has the small Mantus, he seems to think that it sticks much easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 05:16 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Swinging at sandbars? which one's do you frequent?
All of them--when within 25' of another boat, even a small swing can be an issue.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #12
noreast

Quote:
All of them--when within 25' of another boat, even a small swing can be an issue.

OH, I thought you meant "swinging" at the sandbar.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
Rattletrap (08-09-2016), thinkxingu (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #13
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My neighbor has had issues with his Hand Thrown Danforth as a stern anchor.
Hand Thrown may be a mis-statement. If one expects an anchor to "Catch"...it is NOT Thrown. It is Lowered over the bow or stern vertically and allowed to "take" by either backing down under power..gently..or pulling forward gently.

Just saying.. Almost 50 years doing this..mostly in Salt Water. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:58 AM   #14
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Hand Thrown may be a mis-statement. If one expects an anchor to "Catch"...it is NOT Thrown. It is Lowered over the bow or stern vertically and allowed to "take" by either backing down under power..gently..or pulling forward gently.
Maybe I should have said hand lowered stern anchor?

The net-net was that he likes the setting ease of the Mantus compared to the Danforth when both were used under similar situations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-10-2016), thinkxingu (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Trying to figure out size for stern anchor, I came across a thread comparing Fortress and new generation anchors (Mantus, Rocna, etc.). One thing I hadn't really considered while testing was how much swinging I was doing (not THAT swinging, Noreast) and that some anchors might have trouble keeping a set or resetting. In neither place was this an issue (though, as mentioned above, I swung a lot in the first test--easily 180°--but not as much in the second--45° or so).
Old 08-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
Trying to figure out size for stern anchor, I came across a thread comparing Fortress and new generation anchors (Mantus, Rocna, etc.). One thing I hadn't really considered while testing was how much swinging I was doing (not THAT swinging, Noreast) and that some anchors might have trouble keeping a set or resetting. In neither place was this an issue (though, as mentioned above, I swung a lot in the first test--easily 180°--but not as much in the second--45° or so).
My stern anchor is 4.4 lbs and my bow anchor is 22 lbs. If my stern anchor starts dragging, it's time to go or time to re-position the boat so that the bow faces into the wind. The stern anchor does not need to be nearly as big as the bow anchor unless you are anchored incorrectly (bow not facing the wind) When using two anchors at the bow and stern, you really should re-position the boat if the wind shifts more than 45 degrees or so.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #17
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
My stern anchor is 4.4 lbs and my bow anchor is 22 lbs. If my stern anchor starts dragging, it's time to go or time to re-position the boat so that the bow faces into the wind. The stern anchor does not need to be nearly as big as the bow anchor unless you are anchored incorrectly (bow not facing the wind) When using two anchors at the bow and stern, you really should re-position the boat if the wind shifts more than 45 degrees or so.
Makes sense--I'm toying between the 2# and 8#. The former is $38, the latter $75. I'm thinking I could use the 8# as my primary in no-wind situations or stern and the 13 when I absolutely don't want to move.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Test #3: Braun Bay sandbar. This was the type of test I'd been waiting for. Since we often anchor towards the quieter outside edge and swim in to the sandbar, our boat is often left anchored alone for long periods of time and I need to feel confident it'll stay, especially near so many other boats and people.

As on all my other uses--about ten so far, the Mantus set on the first try. The weather was pretty calm, but there was a lot of traffic on the hot day we visited--the ice cream boat made a killing! We were anchored out around 2.5 hours, with 1.5 spent far from the boat watching people playing beer-bottle-frisbee-game, kids and ducks playing on water pads, and my son doing about 11,000 underwater somersaults. ("Dadda, dadda, dadda, you watchin'? Dadda?! Dadda lookit me... Dadda!!")

When we returned, my GPS alarm, set for 10', was silent and the boat seemed not to have moved an inch. Though the wind and weather were calm, there were about six or seven boats that had come in with big wakes that would definitely have unseated my old anchor even if it had been set well initially.

Hillcountry (08-13-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #19
thinkxingu

OK, so after using the 13# for a few weeks and realizing it was holding so tightly, I contacted Mantus to ask about the 8#. The response was that in conditions under 30 knots, the 8# would be great--with a 20' pontoon and 10' bimini I'm on the border of sizes.

So, always the pragmatist, I bought an 8# and 2# to try as bow and stern anchors and will be giving them the run-through this week while I'm on vacation and will post my results here. I've attached a pic of the two and will try to get one with all three so people can see the difference as I believe most people reading this may have to make the same decision (17-24' boats).

Hillcountry (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 02:57 PM   #20
Hillcountry

Quote:
OK, so after using the 13# for a few weeks and realizing it was holding so tightly, I contacted Mantus to ask about the 8#. The response was that in conditions under 30 knots, the 8# would be great--with a 20' pontoon and 10' bimini I'm on the border of sizes.

So, always the pragmatist, I bought an 8# and 2# to try as bow and stern anchors and will be giving them the run-through this week while I'm on vacation and will post my results here. I've attached a pic of the two and will try to get one with all three so people can see the difference as I believe most people reading this may have to make the same decision (17-24' boats).

What's 5 lbs between anchor friends?
Just say you like 'em with a "little meat on da bone"
I would keep the 13 myself...

That said, I have not tried my new Digger yet... Test will be monday.
I also bought some "Stealth" rod holders that mount on the pontoon rails...they look to be well made...pictures and review coming after Monday.
jcg900 (08-27-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #21
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
What's 5 lbs between anchor friends?
Just say you like 'em with a "little meat on da bone"
I would keep the 13 myself...

That said, I have not tried my new Digger yet... Test will be monday.
I also bought some "Stealth" rod holders that mount on the pontoon rails...they look to be well made...pictures and review coming after Monday.
Here you can see the difference in size--the 8# fits much better in my storage area, but we'll see how good it holds. If the 13# is that much better, I'll keep it and use the 8# for the stern, but I'll thinking the Mantus ratings are very generous.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:58 PM   #22
salty dog

Ok, you guys have talked me into it. I've been holding off. And being retired, I'm not looking for ways to spend money. We drop anchor regularly to have lunch or just have a break. I guess I'm getting tired of schlepping my rather heavy, clunky Danforth in and out of the water. From what you have said and from what I've read, the 8# Mantus will do just fine for a lunch hook on my 21 footer. I'll let you know, and thanks for posting your results.
thinkxingu (08-19-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #23
thinkxingu

Test #4: Saturday afternoon at Patrician Shores. Wind approximately 10 mph, outside edge, choppy. The 8# set as quickly and tightly as the 13#, using 3:1 scope (35' rode in 11' water) but definitely pulled up easier and was much easier to handle. Were there for just under three hours with no drift.

Swing was a little different--tried the new 2# and it swung a bit at first, but I'd only thrown the anchor to see just how good it might be and the ~2:1 rode didn't hold at all. When wifey swam it out 30' (3:1) it held for the rest of the time. Not convinced on the 2# yet, so we'll give that a couple more tries using the 'drop bow, drop stern, pull bow taut' method instead of just throwing it (or set it manually with the right scope).

At this point, we have a few options: do the 13# and 8# for bow and stern; 8# and 2# (today's setup); or 8# for bow and pick up another 8# for the stern. I really like the size and maneuverability of the 8# and 2#, but that pairing will need a bit more testing to confirm the 8# holds as well as it did today and that the 2# is adequate for the stern.

Last edited by thinkxingu; 08-20-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Hillcountry (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #24
Dave R

When I set my anchor for a night when will be sleeping aboard, I put the boat in reverse and let the engine try to pull the boat backward. If I remain stationary, I know I'm good. You could use the same technique to test your anchors.

I don't do this at sandbars because I always check the bow anchor with a mask and adjust its placement by had if I need to.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #25
salty dog

Quote:
Test #4: Saturday afternoon at Patrician Shores. Wind approximately 10 mph, outside edge, choppy. The 8# set as quickly and tightly as the 13#, using 3:1 scope (35' rode in 11' water) but definitely pulled up easier and was much easier to handle. Were there for just under three hours with no drift.

Swing was a little different--tried the new 2# and it swung a bit at first, but I'd only thrown the anchor to see just how good it might be and the ~2:1 rode didn't hold at all. When wifey swam it out 30' (3:1) it held for the rest of the time. Not convinced on the 2# yet, so we'll give that a couple more tries using the 'drop bow, drop stern, pull bow taut' method instead of just throwing it (or set it manually with the right scope).

At this point, we have a few options: do the 13# and 8# for bow and stern; 8# and 2# (today's setup); or 8# for bow and pick up another 8# for the stern. I really like the size and maneuverability of the 8# and 2#, but that pairing will need a bit more testing to confirm the 8# holds as well as it did today and that the 2# is adequate for the stern.

That sounds very promising. I'd say based on those results, the #8 will be fine for me under most circumstances. We leave next Friday for 11 days and I hope to have it by then.
(nice sky shot in 1st photo)
Old 08-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #26
thinkxingu

Quote:
When I set my anchor for a night when will be sleeping aboard, I put the boat in reverse and let the engine try to pull the boat backward. If I remain stationary, I know I'm good. You could use the same technique to test your anchors.

I don't do this at sandbars because I always check the bow anchor with a mask and adjust its placement by had if I need to.
The thing I've noticed about the Mantus, and maybe what I like best about it other than it setting and holding on the first try, is that there are no false positives--when it sets, it's set. My freebie danforth would always feel set and then the moment any tension was put to it, it would release or drag.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:41 PM   #27
Hillcountry

Well, I fully, intended to try out my new Digger today but the wind got the best Of us...we trolled in Meredith Bay from sunup to about 10am (1 tinker bass landed) and then headed to the marina to pick up people.
Wind was picking up so we hugged the north shore went through the "canal" to Sally's Gut (is the "canal" actually, Sally's Gut or the bay on the east side?)
Anyway, I decided to give up fighting the winds and scooted back to Meredith in the face of the winds. Not fun with a baby and 2 dogs on board!
We didn't get "too" wet 😇 Once I got to Spindle point the wind was managable.
No anchor trial today...too chilly to swim anyway! Brrrrrr!
Ride & Dive (09-04-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #28
thinkxingu

Quote:
Well, I fully, intended to try out my new Digger today but the wind got the best Of us...we trolled in Meredith Bay from sunup to about 10am (1 tinker bass landed) and then headed to the marina to pick up people.
Wind was picking up so we hugged the north shore went through the "canal" to Sally's Gut (is the "canal" actually, Sally's Gut or the bay on the east side?)
Anyway, I decided to give up fighting the winds and scooted back to Meredith in the face of the winds. Not fun with a baby and 2 dogs on board!
We didn't get "too" wet 😇 Once I got to Spindle point the wind was managable.
No anchor trial today...too chilly to swim anyway! Brrrrrr!
You ended up with the 15# one with all rope, no chain? Wondering what the total weight will be compared to my 8# with chain...

Old 08-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #29
Hillcountry

Quote:
You ended up with the 15# one with all rope, no chain? Wondering what the total weight will be compared to my 8# with chain...

Right...probably very close in weight when you add chain.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #30
thinkxingu

Quote:
Right...probably very close in weight when you add chain.
Any mention of chain for abrasion purposes, or is the scope requirement low enough that it'll rarely scrape the bottom?

Old 08-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #31
Rich

I was a little nervous on Saturday as we went to visit a friend that had just purchased a home on Rattlesnake. He's on the south west side, and I anchored about 50 ft or so off his breakwater dock.

Why nervous? If you remember the wind was blowing and there were whitecaps everywhere and I was hoping that my Mantus anchor would hold my 38 ft 18,000 lb boat in the wind.

I kept an eye on it about every 30 seconds during our visit. I think this was the first time I had anchored but wasn't either on the boat or swimming next to it. It's a different feeling being not near the boat and not able to immediately address any issue with the anchor, but I've never had this Mantus drag or need to be reset yet so I tried to relax.

Then everyone decided we were going to go to Wolfeboro for lunch , but it would be easier to take his 20 ft boat instead of trying to find dock space for my 38 ft boat at the town docks. I almost didn't know if I should insist on taking my boat. It was a tough decision to not be able to keep an eye on my boat.

The Mantus held fast. No issues at all. The boat didn't even appear to move one bit, other than swinging in the wind on the anchor.

But I do have to say that it was a relief to see my boat was still there after leaving it alone for a few hours as we came around the corner.

Thanks Mantus.

Last edited by Rich; 08-23-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-23-2016), salty dog (08-23-2016), thinkxingu (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #32
Hillcountry

Quote:
Any mention of chain for abrasion purposes, or is the scope requirement low enough that it'll rarely scrape the bottom?

Just the opposite, in fact. They specify not to use chain on the Digger.
I'm no expert on it yet as it sits brandy new and I'm not familiar with the term abrasion when talking anchors. I suppose a Google search would provide that info.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:21 AM   #33
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Just the opposite, in fact. They specify not to use chain on the Digger.
I'm no expert on it yet as it sits brandy new and I'm not familiar with the term abrasion when talking anchors. I suppose a Google search would provide that info.
I have had mine for eight years now with the same rope. No abrasion on the rope whatsoever. The 15 lb digger requires a 5 to 1 scope. The 12 lb digger 2 requires a 2 to 1 scope. The 15 lb digger is good for boats up to 40' in length.

Dan
Hillcountry (08-23-2016), thinkxingu (08-23-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #34
thinkxingu

Test #5: Ragged Island, east side. Wind: very light; wave action: also very light. This wasn't much of a test given the light wind and waves, but it allowed me the opportunity to play with the anchors by hand and to see how quickly they set, which is fast--one or two anchor lengths at most.

The only thing I don't like about these so far is the hollow hoop--if I pull anchor quickly and don't empty the water in the hoop, the front of my boat gets a little muddy-wet.

Hillcountry (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #35
Phantom

Try setting and holding behind FL#1 on a Saturday afternoon .... NOW there's a test !!

It's only 4-6' of water, sandy bottom .... but quite safe boating !!

Old 08-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #36
thinkxingu

Test #6: Blanchard Island Part 2. Looking for a place to try out the 8# once more before selling the 13#, so we went to Blanchard Island again because it looked windy again. When we got there, I noticed the wind was opposite what it was a couple weeks ago, so I figured I'd test the resetting ability of the 8#. I set the anchor against the wind at a 3:1 scope (60' rope in 20' water) and let the wind swing us to the other side. I was watching the rope as we did and after it started to tighten up it took a few more feet to stop--I would say about 3 feet from when the rope stiffened up before it set again which I think is pretty good?

Looks like I'll be selling the 13# and sticking with the 8# & 2#!

Feel free to post questions or comments!

Old 09-02-2016, 07:15 AM   #37
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Try setting and holding behind FL#1 on a Saturday afternoon .... NOW there's a test !!

It's only 4-6' of water, sandy bottom .... but quite safe boating !!

Where is FL#1? I don't have a map on my phone yet.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #38
Dave R

Quote:
Where is FL#1? I don't have a map on my phone yet.

It's the first FL you come to if you head north from Weir's Beach.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #39
thinkxingu

Quote:
It's the first FL you come to if you head north from Weir's Beach.
Ah, yes, that WOULD be a serious test! Although the wave action at Patrician Shores and West Alton has been pretty rough the days I've tested.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #40
codeman671

Quote:
Test #6: Blanchard Island Part 2. Looking for a place to try out the 8# once more before selling the 13#, so we went to Blanchard Island again because it looked windy again. When we got there, I noticed the wind was opposite what it was a couple weeks ago, so I figured I'd test the resetting ability of the 8#. I set the anchor against the wind at a 3:1 scope (60' rope in 20' water) and let the wind swing us to the other side. I was watching the rope as we did and after it started to tighten up it took a few more feet to stop--I would say about 3 feet from when the rope stiffened up before it set again which I think is pretty good?

Looks like I'll be selling the 13# and sticking with the 8# & 2#!

Feel free to post questions or comments!

Just curious, why are you trying to test these out to go with the smallest anchor possible? Personally I prefer overkill.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #41
kawishiwi

Default First world problem...

Quote:
The only thing I don't like about these so far is the hollow hoop--if I pull anchor quickly and don't empty the water in the hoop, the front of my boat gets a little muddy-wet.
I nominate this to become an official "First World Problem"

Thanks for the info, like my Richter anchor but might try Mantus for sand.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kawishiwi For This Useful Post:
noreast (09-02-2016), thinkxingu (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #42
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
I nominate this to become an official "First World Problem"

Thanks for the info, like my Richter anchor but might try Mantus for sand.
I'm selling my 13# Mantus, if you or anyone else is interested! PM me if so.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #43
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Just curious, why are you trying to test these out to go with the smallest anchor possible? Personally I prefer overkill.
I tried wording it so that wasn't what it sounded like--I wanted what would work reliably, and in looking at the Mantus recommendations (clearly conservative) and having had such bad luck with my other anchor, I went for the larger option whereas the smaller is the more appropriate for the application. I tested both to make sure, and the 8# is still more than I should ever need but the sizing and maneuverability are much better.

I don't like overkill; I guess it's the same reason I overnight with an 18# backpack, not 30#!

Old 09-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #44
thinkxingu

Double post. 13# still for sale!
Old 09-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #45
thinkxingu

Quote: