Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2004, 02:00 PM   #1
HAHLY

Default Shoreline Regs

Would anyone know where I might find rules and regulations (preferably online) regarding shoreline property around the lake? I would like to know what I can and cannot do to the shoreline of my property, what trees I can or cannot cut down, setbacks, how much I can change the look of the property, etc.
HAHLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
Outlaw

Default On-line RSA search

Here's the website you can search on RSA's pertaining to waterfront property. Plus check in to your local town/city building codes.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...s/default.html

Here's CHAPTER 485-A, I found on the Comprehensive Shoreland Protection Act -- maybe a good read.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 02:56 PM   #3
Onshore

Default Contact the Shoreland Program at DES

There are several overlapping laws that affect development on shorefront properties. I would advise starting with the Comprehensive Shoreland Protection Act, RSA 483-B, simply because it affects all of the other programs and laws regulating shoreland properties and will give you a thumbnail view of what is involved with the least amount of reading. You can find a copy of the Act at www.des.state.nh.us/cspa.

From there you should familiarize yourself with the Sub-Surface Program Rules pertaining to subdivisions and septic systems, the Wetlands Program Rules pertaining to wetland and surface water impacts, including dock construction, and the Site Specific Program Rules if you plan on developing the property in a way that will disturb more than 50,000 sq ft, any of which is within 250 ft of the shoreline. The rules and applicable RSA's for all of these programs can be found at www.des.state.nh.us.

If you have questions specific to any particular program don't hesitate to call them directly. Shoreland and Shoreline structure questions can be directed to the Shoreland Section of the Wetlands Bureau at (603)271-2147. Site inspections and pre-application meetings can be arranged.

Last edited by Onshore; 09-08-2004 at 02:58 PM. Reason: grammar
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 02:08 PM   #4
HAHLY

Default DES Wetlands Bureau

Thanks for the assistance. For anybody else interested, here is a direct link to the best site I was able to find on the subject. It has just about every rules and regulation you would care to read on the subject http://www.des.nh.gov/wetlands/
HAHLY is offline   Reply With Quote