Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2004, 11:12 AM   #1
cabinfever

Default Propane Gas Delivery to Islands?

Are there any island services that fill Propane tanks at homeowner's docks, or pick up to fill and then drop back off? I'm looking for ideas on how else we can best go about filling our tanks. We're on a Gilford island and will likely need to buy new tanks to replace the older ones that were with the cabin when we bought it (?). I've seen the tanks at Home Depot but are not sure if we can get a better deal by buying or leasing through a company who can then do the filling/servicing. Any thoughts are appreciated.
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 02:31 PM   #2
Mink Islander

We use Amerigas who fills the tanks at Shep Browns. We manually schlep the tanks to Browns -- a bit of a hassle, but depending on the number of tanks you have, you can limit it to 1X/yr.

Need a decent workboat and a hand-truck. I know there are some services who will swap tanks/fill tanks for you on the islands too, but it's not cheap. I'll check back if I find the names/contact #'s.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 10:16 PM   #3
cabinfever

Thank you Mink Islander. We rack valet a boat at Shep's, so I'll give Amerigas a call to find out more details. The ole '87 Mastercraft Tristar is serving us well carting materials, appliances, you name it, back and forth to the island. No worries on a few tanks now and then. Just need to figure out how to get them over the rocks to the cabin -- doh!!
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:42 AM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Something to Consider?

From this previous link we figured out that buying propane via small tanks, which you fill yourself, was not cheaper than using electric. Especially if you use an electric heat pump. (Which allows for A/C in the summer.) You also have the added bonus of not hauling heavy tanks or wood. Shep Brown's may have a better price than where we went, but that is too far for us to travel.
Heat cost comparisons
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:04 PM   #5
Eki

You can barge just about everything else...

can you put a propane truck on a barge and have it delivered to the island?
Eki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links