Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2024, 12:50 PM   #1
wadden
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 74
Thanks: 18
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Default Fresh fish

Until Moulton Farm reopens with Sal’s fish, where is the best place to buy fresh fish in the area?
wadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 01:03 PM   #2
Meredith AK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Beautiful Town of Meredith
Posts: 104
Thanks: 35
Thanked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Default Berigi Jr Seafood Market

Located 441 NH-49, Campton, NH 03223
Albeit a bit of a drive, but fish is fresh and a lot less expensive than Sal's.
Telephone # 603-960-9405.
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 02:25 PM   #3
ghfromaltonbay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Clifton, NJ, Alton Bay
Posts: 819
Thanks: 245
Thanked 224 Times in 130 Posts
Default Wolfe Trap

Wolfe Trap in Wolfeboro on Bay St
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 02:46 PM   #4
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH
Posts: 5,512
Thanks: 3,116
Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Makris in Concord

Off 106 has a fresh seafood market. Get there early as they sell out!
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 05:07 PM   #5
wadden
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 74
Thanks: 18
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Thank you, everyone!
wadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2024, 05:57 PM   #6
Heaven
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 516
Thanks: 126
Thanked 94 Times in 66 Posts
Default

https://www.theboysseafoodcompany.com/
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:36 PM   #7
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,519
Thanks: 58
Thanked 265 Times in 186 Posts
Default

io think there is a fresh seafood market in Ossipee. On the right after you take a left at smokehouse barbeque
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:50 AM   #8
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,836
Thanks: 326
Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default

Most people don't realize this but E.M.Heaths has the best fish of any supermarket in the area. They are supplied my Mehan Fisheries, the same supplier to O's, Canoe and some of the best restaurants in the area.....even the VK buys haddock from Mehans.
Anyway.....Mark tests his swordfish for fat content. It is always juicy and flavorful. Also tuna cod and haddock are fresh from (mostly) Portland docks
Only thing is......read the label. Make sure it's not previously frozen. Most stores will freeze when overstocked and sell it later.......not nearly as good.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (02-27-2024), ITD (01-21-2024), Winilyme (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 09:00 AM   #9
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,408
Thanks: 719
Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts
Default

I totally agree. I don't like frozen fish. If it is flash frozen off the boat, that is one thing, but there is no way to know. Is there?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 10:24 AM   #10
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,892
Thanks: 192
Thanked 594 Times in 399 Posts
Default

It’s the use of farm raised salmon over wild catch that has me concerned. Many restaurants refuse to identify on their menu which is used. Never farm raised. High fat content and food coloring added


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:43 AM   #11
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,836
Thanks: 326
Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I totally agree. I don't like frozen fish. If it is flash frozen off the boat, that is one thing, but there is no way to know. Is there?
Stores will print "fresh" right on the wrapping. If its frozen at sea I think they have to let you know
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 09:32 AM   #12
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 1,349
Thanks: 922
Thanked 569 Times in 295 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
It’s the use of farm raised salmon over wild catch that has me concerned. Many restaurants refuse to identify on their menu which is used. Never farm raised. High fat content and food coloring added


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Consumer alert:

Faroe Island salmon which commands high prices on the menu is “farmed” never wild.

Branzino, another popular menu item, is always farm raised if on U.S. menus.

Not all “farm raised” is the same; but most consumers are misled by menu designations.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 04:21 PM   #13
First Mate
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 38
Thanks: 15
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Default

So happy that Sal's is now open!! In the meantime we tried Bergie Jr. in Campton as mentioned upthread, thank you for the recommendation. The prices I saw were comparable/slightly less than Sal's and their haddock was really good. They also have a takeout menu and some tables inside (no service).

On another note, we were sorry to find that Tides in Rochester has permanently closed, or at least at the old location. It was a place we frequented in winter whenever in the area, sorry to see them gone.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to First Mate For This Useful Post:
ITD (02-26-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 07:28 AM   #14
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,836
Thanks: 326
Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Consumer alert:

Faroe Island salmon which commands high prices on the menu is “farmed” never wild.

Branzino, another popular menu item, is always farm raised if on U.S. menus.

Not all “farm raised” is the same; but most consumers are misled by menu designations.
You’re right about about farmed salmon but at least it is raised in ocean cages rather than filthy ponds like tilapia. Norwegian salmon is antibiotics-free and non-GMO so it is the best of them all...also salmon farmed in Maine is pretty safe to eat.
When I was in business I would never sell tilapia.....Tilapia can thrive in filthy water. even sewerage. It is NASTY.....google up "Filthy Tilapia Farms and see for yourself. Same goes for farm raised shrimp. Shrimp ponds are so nasty the water is black from overloading...huge amounts of antibiotics are needed to fight diseases. Always buy wild caught shrimp, preferably from the gulf of Mexico. Even Walmart and chains carry the wild caught shrimp so just read the label.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 08:36 AM   #15
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 2,209
Thanks: 1,111
Thanked 934 Times in 576 Posts
Default

Also with respect to farm raised fish...remember that none of our food is perfect. Farm raised salmon, with it's "high fat and artificial color" as described above, is still a world better for you than steak or chicken
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:41 AM   #16
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,892
Thanks: 192
Thanked 594 Times in 399 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Also with respect to farm raised fish...remember that none of our food is perfect. Farm raised salmon, with it's "high fat and artificial color" as described above, is still a world better for you than steak or chicken
" as described above, is still a world better for you than steak or chicken”

How one says they no little about nutritional requirements without saying it



Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (02-28-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 10:51 AM   #17
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,372
Thanks: 710
Thanked 758 Times in 393 Posts
Default Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
You’re right about about farmed salmon but at least it is raised in ocean cages rather than filthy ponds like tilapia. Norwegian salmon is antibiotics-free and non-GMO so it is the best of them all...also salmon farmed in Maine is pretty safe to eat.
When I was in business I would never sell tilapia.....Tilapia can thrive in filthy water. even sewerage. It is NASTY.....google up "Filthy Tilapia Farms and see for yourself. Same goes for farm raised shrimp. Shrimp ponds are so nasty the water is black from overloading...huge amounts of antibiotics are needed to fight diseases. Always buy wild caught shrimp, preferably from the gulf of Mexico. Even Walmart and chains carry the wild caught shrimp so just read the label.
We were just invited a few days ago to a luncheon honoring volunteers….and one of the food choices was tilapia, and that’s what I chose! 🤨 It’s been fun knowing y’all! 🙄
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 12:31 PM   #18
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 4,031
Thanks: 1,211
Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Norwegian salmon

My wife loves Salmon. Where can I get Norwegian salmon? What about frozen/mail order?

Is this like Maine Lobster? I.e. same thing if it is trapped in NH, but we don't do the marketing very well? Danish Salmon? Scottish? As long as it's North Atlantic? What about Alaskan Salmon?
TIA
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:42 PM   #19
Rvbuddy
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadden View Post
Until Moulton Farm reopens with Sal’s fish, where is the best place to buy fresh fish in the area?






Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Rvbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:08 AM   #20
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,836
Thanks: 326
Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
We were just invited a few days ago to a luncheon honoring volunteers….and one of the food choices was tilapia, and that’s what I chose! 🤨 It’s been fun knowing y’all! 🙄
So sorry......rest in peace....will miss you on the forum
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:54 AM   #21
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,530
Thanks: 1,570
Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default

I believe Moulton Farms is reopening this Thursday. Thur-Sat 830-5
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:54 AM   #22
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 2,209
Thanks: 1,111
Thanked 934 Times in 576 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
" as described above, is still a world better for you than steak or chicken”

How one says they no little about nutritional requirements without saying it



Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
No need for petty insults. But back to the point...

Sadly, I have heart disease, so was "forced" to consult a professional nutritionist in 2022. On the "nutritional requirements" of salmon vs steak or chicken, the primary goal is to take in protein without taking in saturated fat. Keep in mind that saturated fat should not exceed approx 13g or so per day.

4 oz of salmon will give you about 23g of protein and 3.5g of saturated fat

4 oz of steak will give you 28 g of protein but a whopping 9g of saturated fat--that's 18 grams if you have a normal guy-sized 8 oz steak!!!

Chicken is heavily dependent on cut and cooking method, and salmon has the added bonus of good fats/Omega 3 and lower cholesterol, so I will leave those finer points to others. But no doctor will tell you that chicken is healthier overall than salmon.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:55 AM   #23
MeredithMan
Senior Member
 
MeredithMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bedford, NH; Meredith, NH
Posts: 864
Thanks: 233
Thanked 768 Times in 302 Posts
Default already open...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I believe Moulton Farms is reopening this Thursday. Thur-Sat 830-5
They opened for the season two weeks ago...Thurs-Sat only. Sal is definitely the #1 selling product right now.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:11 PM   #24
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,372
Thanks: 710
Thanked 758 Times in 393 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
So sorry......rest in peace....will miss you on the forum
Thank you, Samiam….I will miss all the lively conversations on the forum.
😇🙏🎶
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:31 PM   #25
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,372
Thanks: 710
Thanked 758 Times in 393 Posts
Default Still here!!!

Today was the big tilapia luncheon! It would have been pretty tasty if they hadn’t put coconut on it! Anyhow, tilapia farmed in polluted water is survivable, so I will enjoy remaining part of the forum. 😂
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 07:27 AM   #26
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,836
Thanks: 326
Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Today was the big tilapia luncheon! It would have been pretty tasty if they hadn’t put coconut on it! Anyhow, tilapia farmed in polluted water is survivable, so I will enjoy remaining part of the forum. 😂
Haha....you should have warned your friends and fled in terror
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.24935 seconds