Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Lakeport Landing Marina Legal Woes Continue

Lakeport Landing Marina has an eviction notice served on them for the showroom that is in the process of being sold to Irwin Marine. Here are two articles from the Laconia Daily Sun, the first from the 3-27-2018 edition :

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx...landing-marina

And the second from the 3-28-2018 :

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx...nd-up-in-court

Here we go again...

Dave
Old 03-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
Tmm1974

I thought Irwin was going to lease the showroom building to Lakeport giving them time to renovate the fire station. I guess that’s not happening.
Tmm1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #3
AC2717

seems like Lakeport likes to drag their feet on anything, they knew well ahead of time the lease ending date and what they needed to do by then, just like they knew they could be outbid, and allegedly had first right of refusal (i say allegedly because who knows if it was true). Sounds like sour grapes to me and the Town is actually following through the right way.

As it is Lakeport lease just got extended to April 20th
Old 03-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
MeredithMan

Given that LL was the successful bidder on the old fire station and went through the expense of hiring an architect to come up with a cool design for a showroom and publishing it in the paper, it would seem that LL is just giving a giant middle finger to the city at this point. Doing it just for spite and the sport of it...

OR....they don't have the dough to do any of the things they have signed up to do...??

If I were Chris-Craft, I would seriously be considering pulling the franchise. Is this the type of dealer you want representing a high-end boat??
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Given that LL was the successful bidder on the old fire station and went through the expense of hiring an architect to come up with a cool design for a showroom and publishing it in the paper, it would seem that LL is just giving a giant middle finger to the city at this point. Doing it just for spite and the sport of it...

OR....they don't have the dough to do any of the things they have signed up to do...??

If I were Chris-Craft, I would seriously be considering pulling the franchise. Is this the type of dealer you want representing a high-end boat??

I wonder what contracts say about things like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by Doobs41378; 03-28-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #6
Seaplane Pilot

There are two sides to every story. I suspect their lawyer is counseling them on what / what not to do.

On the other hand, I love seeing them stick it to the City of Laconia. It's a "mini swamp" that needs also to be drained and cleansed.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
WinnisquamZ

The city awarded them the winning bid so they would drop the law suit. Now, we are back to a law suit and they remain in business another season. Also, Irwin won’t pay the 500k they promised. It appears only the lawyers are making money

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #8
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
The city awarded them the winning bid so they would drop the law suit. Now, we are back to a law suit and they remain in business another season. Also, Irwin won’t pay the 500k they promised. It appears only the lawyers are making money

Blizzard and her ilk need to go away, forever. Until that happens, she will continue to suck... from every direction she can.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Blizzard and her ilk need to go away, forever. Until that happens, she will continue to suck... from every direction she can.
Who exactly are her “ilk”? Customers, employees, neighbors? Please elaborate.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
Rusty

IMO Lakeport Landing Marina should have be able to buy the showroom building on 21 Elm street without it going out to bid. Somehow it should have been worked out between the city & the people who have leased it for many years.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #11
Woodsy

I do not understand why everyone just wants to pile on with negativity.

No doubt there is some posturing going on... but this is between the City lawyers & the Lakeport's lawyers. It is very common practice between commercial landlords and businesses.

Not for nothing.. but I am in agreement with Rusty on this... The city should have worked it out with Lakeport Landing. I am pretty sure Paul Blizzard would not have developed the property in question without 1st right of refusal. Nobody would spend the $$ on a new building just so that they might arbitrarily lose it in 20 years...

Woodsy
Old 03-29-2018, 02:43 PM   #12
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I do not understand why everyone just wants to pile on with negativity.

No doubt there is some posturing going on... but this is between the City lawyers & the Lakeport's lawyers. It is very common practice between commercial landlords and businesses.

Not for nothing.. but I am in agreement with Rusty on this... The city should have worked it out with Lakeport Landing. I am pretty sure Paul Blizzard would not have developed the property in question without 1st right of refusal. Nobody would spend the $$ on a new building just so that they might arbitrarily lose it in 20 years...

Woodsy
while that might be a good notion, one that i don't really disagree with problem is the city has to put out to bid, its required.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:55 PM   #13
Woodsy

Even with 1st refusal the city would have to "put it out to bid"... The issues is the city didn't put any real restrictions on the property. (keep the buildings, maintain taxable value etc)

It is my understanding Irwin plans to level the buildings and make the lot a parking lot for their customers.... so instead of the city collecting $8K (total assessment $358.7K) a year in taxes... the city will be lucky to get $1.5K a year. (Parcel is assessed @ $55.8K)

Woodsy
Old 03-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

I have had good experiences with both businesses and purchased my last boat and store it at Irwin.

However, I do believe that Lakeport should have been given a better opportunity to keep the location and much of the disent on Lakeport has nothing to do with their business but outside factors.
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Folks don't judge to much about is going on. There are likely more details here then are really understood, outside of those directly involved. I personally believed this was going to be a contentious mater, that would end up dragging out over time.

I do agree the ones making the money in the end will be the lawyers, and that is unfortunate.... but if that is how Irwin, Lakeport, and the City of Laconia, want to handle this, then that is the way it is going to be.

Who knows what the results of this entire show are going to be. Just grab some pop-corn enjoy the show... and realize we should have been lawyers....
Old 03-30-2018, 10:40 AM   #16
Ms Molly McKever

Default Legal Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Folks don't judge to much about is going on. There are likely more details here then are really understood, outside of those directly involved. I personally believed this was going to be a contentious mater, that would end up dragging out over time.

I do agree the ones making the money in the end will be the lawyers, and that is unfortunate.... but if that is how Irwin, Lakeport, and the City of Laconia, want to handle this, then that is the way it is going to be.

Who knows what the results of this entire show are going to be. Just grab some pop-corn enjoy the show... and realize we should have been lawyers....
We know the Laconia tax payer won't WIN !!! Just pay baby pay !!!
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:39 PM   #17
Tank151

Quote:
Outdoorsman needs to chill-out!
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:25 AM   #18
fatlazyless

This is a very well written newspaper report: http://www.unionleader.com/courts/La...court-04112018

Drove past the former Lakeport fire station a couple days ago and noticed a big, green dumpster close to the building. Sounds like it will need a big dumpster to get this trashy project completed? Maybe all parties involved can hop into dumpster, and get hauled away to the land fill instead of going to court?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-11-2018 at 01:29 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #19
joey2665

The city should be acting in an unbiased manor. Both issues are separate in the the demolition permit for a property that Lakeport has purchased and paid in full for should not be affected by the pending lawsuit at the existing location.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:05 AM   #20
fatlazyless

....step by step by step ..... one step is based on where the previous step lands ... so, vacating the 30-year marina building should get done before the demolition of the former fire station gets the city's green light .... with no good faith .... is a big problem!

City got a big problem here.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #21
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
....step by step by step ..... one step is based on where the previous step lands ... so, vacating the 30-year marina building should get done before the demolition of the former fire station gets the city's green light .... with no good faith .... is a big problem!

City got a big problem here.
Legally one has nothing to do with the other. They are two separate properties and two separate transactions. The city is going to leave themselves open for more litigation by not acting independently and in the end cost the taxpayers even more in legal fees to defend.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #22
fatlazyless

From today's LaDaSun: http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx...d-fire-station

Even if they are two separate transactions, (1)vacating and selling the old marina home building, and (2)demolishing the former fire station; they both involve the city, and the five different Laconia city councilors are thinking ...... what to do, what to do, what to do, what to do, what to do ..... how to proceed and what's in the best interest for the city here?
Old 04-11-2018, 10:01 PM   #23
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
The city should be acting in an unbiased manor.

Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Unfortunately for Ms. Blizzard, unbiased does not mean unthinking. I do not know her, but when the headline screams "failing to keep her word", most folks would conclude that she is not the most reliable negotiating partner. The city would be negligent to ignore this information in their discussions with her on other matters. This is in the very same way that we would give extra credit to a person who had proven herself trustworthy over the years.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:25 PM   #24
joey2665

I agree. I have meet Erika many times and the city is definitely not unbiased when it comes to her.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #25
Woodsy

Lets not forget that the mayor of Laconia owns the Laconia Daily Sun....

Woodsy
Old 04-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #26
FlyingScot

Quote:

Woodsy
I did not know that. Thanks
Old 04-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #27
joey2665

Quote:

Woodsy

Wow I’m another that didn’t know that.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #28
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default Laconia Sun

The Laconia Daily Sun was founded 2000, with Ed Engler (the current Mayor) as publisher and John Hourihan as editor.

Engler assumed the position of editor in 2002 and held it until 2015 when he retired.

Lakes Region News Club, which owns The Laconia Daily Sun, is a partnership between President Edward J. Engler, Publisher Adam Hirshan and Mark Guerringue, publisher of The Conway Daily Sun.

Engler was elected mayor of Laconia in 2013 and again in 2015 and 2017. He has had health issues over the past year and has stated that he will not run again.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #29
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

That explains the bias against Erica. She must be a republican and Engler is left of Nancy Pelosi
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #30
Major

Default Worse than Pelosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
That explains the bias against Erica. She must be a republican and Engler is left of Nancy Pelosi
He's a "republican" but acts like a democrat, which is the worst kind of politician! He's driving Laconia off the cliff.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #31
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Well, it's good to know that the mayor owns the paper...

But that does not necessarily explain or prove bias, nor does left vs right politics. I hope we'd all agree that there are plenty of trustworthy people on both sides of the aisle.

The town has asserted that she "failed to keep her word" and the paper noted (perhaps with a bit of gratuitous bias) that she was found guilty of negligent homicide. Neither is a great reference, and neither has been contradicted in the paper or on this forum.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #32
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
Well, it's good to know that the mayor owns the paper...

But that does not necessarily explain or prove bias, nor does left vs right politics. I hope we'd all agree that there are plenty of trustworthy people on both sides of the aisle.

The town has asserted that she "failed to keep her word" and the paper noted (perhaps with a bit of gratuitous bias) that she was found guilty of negligent homicide. Neither is a great reference, and neither has been contradicted in the paper or on this forum.

I’m sorry and I am Not defending either prior situation but she is asking for a demolition permit for a renovation an improvement project on a currently vacant building which she already purchased and paid for from the city. Pretty easy to keep an eye on like you would anyone else applying for the same type of permit. City is blowing this out of proportion and just going to cost the taxpayers in the end.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #33
eyvoom

Quote:
I’m sorry and I am Not defending either prior situation but she is asking for a demolition permit for a renovation an improvement project on a currently vacant building which she already purchased and paid for from the city. Pretty easy to keep an eye on like you would anyone else applying for the same type of permit. City is blowing this out of proportion and just going to cost the taxpayers in the end.
The last I heard was something about the town wanting to make fire station a historical landmark. I don't know how old the fire station is, but it's definitely not a historical landmark.
eyvoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 AM   #34
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts
Default Demolition Begins

Lakeport Landing has begun demolition of the old fire station.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...3ff537dfb.html
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:41 AM   #35
joey2665

It is nice to see Irwin and Lakeport came to an agreement for Lakeport to stay put until construction is completed.
The building being an intergral part of Lakeport does not make it an historical site and has been sitting vacant for years. There is no reason this project shouldn’t be completed and will certainly add to the character of the area in addition to the city no collecting property tax on a newly renovated building.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #36
AC2717

Quote:
It is nice to see Irwin and Lakeport came to an agreement for Lakeport to stay put until construction is completed.
The building being an intergral part of Lakeport does not make it an historical site and has been sitting vacant for years. There is no reason this project shouldn’t be completed and will certainly add to the character of the area in addition to the city no collecting property tax on a newly renovated building.

100% agree here. That building has been neglected and down right ugly, and execpt for serving its purpose in the 1950s-1970s it is not (an integral part of lakeport insert humph and a laugh here) and has zero significance to the area except for those that want to continue about complaining about things.
Stop wasting tax payer money on BS
Old 05-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #37
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Nevertheless; this company does whatever they want. Good, bad or indifferent. History has proven that they are prepared to buy their way out of everything. "Do it now, Ask for forgiveness later".
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #38
joey2665

Quote:
Nevertheless; this company does whatever they want. Good, bad or indifferent. History has proven that they are prepared to buy their way out of everything. "Do it now, Ask for forgiveness later".
That is a sweeping statement that I disagree with and you have provided no facts to back up. If the demolition was started I am sure the permit was finally issues or being in such a high profile contested location the City would have shut it done.

I have had good experiences with Lakeport as I have also had with Irwin. When it comes to Lakeport many tend to mix Erika's personal issues with the business. They are two different "entities"
Old 05-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #39
ACME on the Broads

Default Agree with Joey!

Have dealt with Erica for over 7 years now and her father Paul for over 25 years................I think she cares about city of Lakeport, Laconia, the Lake area and her customers as much as anyone. She has earned my trust, respect and loyalty.

I suspect if the grenade throwers got to know Erica better they'd recognize there is sincere quality of character and integrity in her DNA.
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #40
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads View Post
Have dealt with Erica for over 7 years now and her father Paul for over 25 years................I think she cares about city of Lakeport, Laconia, the Lake area and her customers as much as anyone. She has earned my trust, respect and loyalty.

I suspect if the grenade throwers got to know Erica better they'd recognize there is sincere quality of character and integrity in her DNA.

I whole heartedly agree.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #41
Cal Coon

Quote:

Some people said the same thing about Ted Kennedy too. Denial is not just a river in Egypt...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #42
WinnisquamZ

Ouch

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:20 AM   #43
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Some people said the same thing about Ted Kennedy too. Denial is not just a river in Egypt...
Big difference. He got away with it. This is strictly about the business not personal issues.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #44
sum-r breeze

Quote:

Wow this is rich! Certainly NOT my experience with the Blizzard family
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #45
Water Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
Wow this is rich! Certainly NOT my experience with the Blizzard family
Walter

No offense intended, but you and I have had different experiences.

Hope to see you guys on the lake !
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #46
kjbathe

This whole thread made me chuckle. The squabbling, the accusations, but most of all the claims that "I didn't know" a "historic" building was going to be torn down. 😂 It reminds me of the very same show we watched when the Hathaway House met its end.

Personally, I'm glad to see the Lakeport station go. It has been abandoned longer than it was in use. Even if this is our nation's finest example of mid century modern stacked brick utilitarian whateveryoucallit, take a picture and press on. It's an abandoned garage. I welcome any addition to Lakeport that removes legacy blight and replaces it with lights. 👍
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kjbathe For This Useful Post:
gwhite13 (05-31-2018), SAMIAM (05-27-2018)