Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
jeffk

Default Car stereo replacement

Our CD player in our car is skipping and I think needs to be replaced (car is 10 years old). Yes, I know there are kits and could do-it-myself but don't really want to. We don't need an exotic system but would probably be nice to get a unit that supports iPod and Bluetooth hands free phone, as many do today.

Who sells and installs car stereos around the lake? Any personal experience with any dealers? Costs? I find units on line for less than $200 that look pretty good and assume a basic install shouldn't be more than $100. Is $300 for a nice installed system realistic? I have found VanWorks in Gilford on line but don't know anything about them. Others?
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
codeman671

Try Chris Jones at Speed of Sound. He works mobile and does a lot in the lakes region. Tell him Jason sent you. His number is 603-817-0400.

He has done a custom sunroof install, strobe flashers for plowing, video systems as well as many stereo jobs for me in trucks and boats over the years. In fact he is doing headrest DVDs in my new truck in a few weeks and is quoting a security camera job at my warehouse.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
surfnsnow

I had van works install my stereo and remote starter. they did a nice job. no delays and on quote. I will use them again
surfnsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surfnsnow For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #4
Red apple

My suggestion is to buy the unit from the person who is installing it. You may pay a few dollars more but if there is a issue at anytime there are no fingers being pointed. As far as $300 yes depending on car you should be ok but if it has steering wheel controls may be more.
Red apple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red apple For This Useful Post:
ApS (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Crutchfield.com

I use crutchfield to find out a ball park figure for a CD unit. Crutchfield has the installation kits and guides. I swapped out a few units using their kits and find it very easy to do. You should give them a try.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
codeman671

Speed of Sound is a dealer as well, not just an installer. He can get any of the major brands.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
RLW

Smile

iickileif, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for joining in as I see you have put in a few THANKS on the threads

Old 04-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
jeffk

Thanks everyone.

I had looked up units on Crutchfield but I really dislike adding aftermarket things to cars. Why? My experience is that if it all works out OK, great. But when not, then what do you do? I don't have the experience to hack something together and I don't want the car to look like garbage. Professional installers run into the same problem but they have the experience to know what to do to fix it and may even have parts that allow them to fix it. And, best of all, it's not my hassle, it's their problem.

I had a hands free device installed in a car years ago and it seemed to work fine but they forgot to hook up the radio silencer when calls came in. I returned to the shop and they fixed it. No cost, no problem. I could have easily made the same mistake and would have had to open up the dash again and figure out the wiring. Probably hours of work. Instead, I got to read car magazines for a half hour while they skinned their knuckles. (OK, they probably don't but I always do.)

I'll look into what these folks offer and their costs.

Thanks again.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:44 AM   #9
robmac

I use Auto Sound at work and on my own cars,boats etc. they are a mobile operation with years of experience. 1-800-517-3434
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:34 AM   #10
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

I hate to inject chains into the mix, but I had good luck at some Best Buys in the past.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #11
jmen24

Jeff, I think you are smart in leaving this to the pros. While I would have performed an install like this back in high school and did, the vehicles today are very complex and it would be money well spent.

It is definitely a case of you get what you pay for, I would ask to see photos or an in progress install to get an idea of fit and finish.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote