Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
anticd70

Default Power Pole?

Anyone use a power pole anchor on the lake? I am thinking about getting one for my pontoon to use at the sand bars. Anyone use them pros/cons?
anticd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
iw8surf

I have used them on bass boats. They work as intended in shallow areas and they were as easy as hitting a foot pedal next to my trolling motor. I have never seen one on a pontoon boat though.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
brk-lnt

They are very popular around here (St. Petersburg), particularly on bay boats. Not sure I would trust them for sandbar use without a real anchor as well. The movement from getting on/off the boat could cause them to lose grip, but as a "stern anchor" they would work well.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
Patofnaud

The first impression is, on a toon at a sandbar you would need 2 of those spikes otherwise the wind will spin you around like a kite without a tail and then it would beat the snot out of you on a busy day at the lake with all the wave buffeting.

For a fisherman, in shallow water in some small cove, looks much easier than playing with the foot pedal to stay on station.

On my toon at the sandbar I use a bow and stern 'Anchor Buddy' and it works the balls.

https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-...dp/B074DTN8BY/

Both in bright red for visibility. In deeper water, I also have a normal anchor line tied loosely in parallel for retrieval so I do not overstretch the buddy pulling it up off the bottom.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Billy Bob

Default Power pole

We have had one on our St Pete boats for years , we currently have a 23 ft boat with a tower and it works great around the sandy bottom flats around Tampa bay.
About 10 years ago we took our 22 bay boat up to the lake for the summer with a power pole . It was great on the few sand bars , also got a lot of “ what’s that thing “ looks . However it had VERY limited value anywhere else on the lake .
The lakes gets to deep for use very fast and these don’t work well , or at all in rocks .
You would need 2 on a pontoon boat which gets pricey.
The Power Pole company is based here in Brandon Florida and has a great reputation for its guarantee and replacement policy , they are easy to install and maintain .
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links