Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-17-2024, 08:04 AM   #1
Trail Goer

Default Origin of a Name

Does anyone know the origin behind the names of Cotton Valley and Cotton Mountain? I had a few canned sandwiches last night with a buddy of mine and this is one of the things that came up in conversation.
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:31 AM   #2
camp guy

Default Origin of a name

I sent you a PM, but then decided to 'google' your question. Sure enough, if you 'google' "Cotton Valley Wolfeboro New Hampshire" you will get an answer.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 09:25 AM   #3
Trail Goer

I did that and it only gives me the history of the Cotton Valley Rail Trail and the Cotton Valley Rail Trail Club (the group that maintains the trail), both of which are named after the valley which the old rail line traverses through. Like you said in your private massage, there could have been early settlers with the last name Cotton, which was my first guess but in the conversation I had, farming was brought up and I was wondering if there was a type of crop grown in the area similar to Cotton grown down south or if there was a type of native plant that grew or used to grow in the area.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:24 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

You made me curious. From Parker's History of Wolfeoboro it was originally called Cutter's Mountain after the lot was drawn by Dr. AR Cutter when the town was first divided. Later it was called Cotton Mountain, named after "a group of families of that name that have for many years dwealt on its sides and in the adjacent valley. Point of interest, this mountain is only 50 feet less than Whiteface.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:26 AM   #5
MeredithMan

Default I guess I live under a rock....

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I sent you a PM, but then decided to 'google' your question. Sure enough, if you 'google' "Cotton Valley Wolfeboro New Hampshire" you will get an answer.
never mind googling "Cotton Valley", I must admit I had to google, (actually, had to check Urban Dictionary), to learn what "canned sandwiches" are. Have never heard that term until now...
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2024, 01:13 PM   #6
Trail Goer

Hahaha... not sure if it's a common term, more or less something that developed over time with my buddies, I guess. A can sandwich is a can of beer. We kind of have our own terms, it drives all of our wife's crazy.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:54 PM   #7
DickR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
You made me curious. From Parker's History of Wolfeoboro it was originally called Cutter's Mountain after the lot was drawn by Dr. AR Cutter when the town was first divided. Later it was called Cotton Mountain, named after "a group of families of that name that have for many years dwealt on its sides and in the adjacent valley. Point of interest, this mountain is only 50 feet less than Whiteface.
It seems there are two "Cotton" mountains, one near Wolfeboro and one in Holderness, toward the west end of the Squam Range. If comparing either to Whiteface Mountain in the Sandwich Range, Whiteface is quite a bit more than 50 feet higher, being one of the 4,000 footers.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 05:06 PM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
It seems there are two "Cotton" mountains, one near Wolfeboro and one in Holderness, toward the west end of the Squam Range. If comparing either to Whiteface Mountain in the Sandwich Range, Whiteface is quite a bit more than 50 feet higher, being one of the 4,000 footers.
I assumed he was talking about Wolfeboro since there is a Cotton Mountain and a Cotton Valley. Maybe they didn't know how to measure mountains in those days.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 06:27 PM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Cotton was a family name.
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/...amily-cemetery

We have biked the trail many times.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote