Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
ronc4424

Default looks like common sense might prevail

Senate amends boating speed limit bill

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...879/-1/CITNEWS
Ryan (03-19-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronc4424 View Post
Senate amends boating speed limit bill

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...879/-1/CITNEWS
Thanks for the info!

I don't have a problem with 55 MPH on the Broads and think that it is "Reasonable and Prudent" to allow that to happen.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Dave R

I'm shocked. That's good news. Seems like the current NH legislature is really making some great decisions lately. I hope it passes into law.

Rusty, I'm pleased to see that you support an increase in the speed limit.

Speaking of common sense... The carpool discussion (always interesting and makes the commute just fly by) this morning was that the state should mandate that all state police cars get 30 MPG or better. If they set an example, the towns would eventaully follow suit. I have never understood why police have to drive big, heavy cars that get crappy fuel economy. It's not like they are towing stuff. Police outside of North America have, for the most part, been successfully using small, 4 cylinder powered cars for decades.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Rusty (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I have never understood why police have to drive big, heavy cars that get crappy fuel economy. It's not like they are towing stuff. Police outside of North America have, for the most part, been successfully using small, 4 cylinder powered cars for decades.
I agree Dave, there is little reason for the PD to use big heavy rear wheel drive cruisers especially in NH. A 4/6 cylinder all wheel drive car would work just fine for most.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
fatlazyless

Doesn't Chevy Malibu make a police cruiser that some NH towns have been using for about five years or so. When viewed from the front as seen in your rear view mirror, it does not look like it is a police cruiser partially because the overhead blue lights are almost flat with the roof plus it's not the commonly seen Ford Crown Victoria.

Heard that Ford will stop making the Crown Vic in about a year and maybe be making a Fusion cruiser that is similar in size to the Malibu.

How's about that Dodge Charger? Cops love big horsepower plus they do not pay for the gas! Their cruiser is basically their office and they do not want to be driving a wimpy cruiser like a Malibu if they have any say.

After going about 125k miles as a police interceptor, it's pretty common for a Crown Vic to go another 375k miles as a Boston taxi cab running on recycled parts and a new paint job.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Two dobys

Default Police Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Doesn't Chevy Malibu make a police cruiser that some NH towns have been using for about five years or so. When viewed from the front as seen in your rear view mirror, it does not look like it is a police cruiser partially because the overhead blue lights are almost flat with the roof plus it's not the commonly seen Ford Crown Victoria.

Heard that Ford will stop making the Crown Vic in about a year and maybe be making a Fusion cruiser that is similar in size to the Malibu.

How's about that Dodge Charger? Cops love big horsepower plus they do not pay for the gas! Their cruiser is basically their office and they do not want to be driving a wimpy cruiser like a Malibu if they have any say.

After going about 125k miles as a police interceptor, it's pretty common for a Crown Vic to go another 375k miles as a Boston taxi cab running on recycled parts and a new paint job.
Ford has a Taurus AWD Police Cruiser in the works, it is true the Crown Vic is being dropped
Old 03-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I agree Dave, there is little reason for the PD to use big heavy rear wheel drive cruisers...A 4/6 cylinder all wheel drive car would work just fine for most.
Collective Bargaining frequently demands them—"for safety".
Old 03-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Here's a photo www.wvpublicsafety.com/police.htm of a Chevy Malibu cruiser. On second thought, maybe that's an Impala and not a Malibu.......do not know....but probably it's a Malibu? Am pretty sure it's a Chevy Malibu? It is probably a front wheel drive, V6 and the town has maybe three similar cruisers. They seem to work very good for the local police department.

The black and blue colors are something that's not very common is NH, as far as I know, but black and blue looks like some good colors for a police cruiser.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #9
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Here's a photo www.wvpublicsafety.com/police.htm of a Chevy Malibu cruiser. On second thought, maybe that's an Impala and not a Malibu.......do not know....but probably it's a Malibu? Am pretty sure it's a Chevy Malibu? It is probably a front wheel drive, V6 and the town has maybe three similar cruisers. They seem to work very good for the local police department.

The black and blue colors are something that's not very common is NH, as far as I know, but black and blue looks like some good colors for a police cruiser.
That's an Impala. No doubt an 8 cyl.