Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default What do you want/need in the region for business?

Recent threads here have got me wondering. What types of business would do well in the area? We have seen the ones that do not do well and they go under faster than a 20 lb rock in the lake. So what service is lacking up here that people would call a business that would be successful? We know what doesn't do well so lets leave those out. Concentrate on services that are needed in the area, and that would actually be used. Maybe we could help someone out.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
AC2717

Default Well

AS much as I love mom and Pop Stores I think a Bass Pro or even better a boaters world or a West Marine would be Great in the Gilford area in the Walmart is or even if the TJ Maxx is nto there any longer beside the Shaws
Old 02-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Default The Quonsset Hut

What the Lakes Region needs is a store like The Quonnset Hut in Rumney. Located about three miles from the Plymouth Wal-Mart, on Route 25, on the Plymouth-Rumney line, just north of the west side rotary, the Quonsset Hut is a bigger version of J C's Discount, which is located on Route 104, in New Hampton, about one mile east of exit 23-Route 93.

An interesting store!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
wuwu

Businesses are plenty all around the lake. As a consumer, I do not have to travel far to purchase food. There are enough restaurants, stores,sub shops around. If I need to purchase anything from Walmart or Target, I make the shopping trip! Keep the area green! I would hate to end up like exit 20.
wuwu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wuwu For This Useful Post:
NHBoat70 (10-31-2010)
Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I would still say that anything goes. The secret is that it's no secret ......if you work hard, keep your word and keep your customers happy, you can succeed in most any business. Although, I wouldn't want to be selling R.V's,snowmobiles or boats right now. But any service business will do fine as your reputation spreads...good example is Wineing Butcher. They opened in a less than prime location and did a great job and they are now expanding to Meredith right in the middle of a recession. Shows it can be done.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #6
Lakegeezer

I'm not sure of the need, but perhaps a "rent an office" business would do well. Lots of people seem to be working down south while their family spends the week at their summer home. There are also folks that want to move into the area, but need a professional office type environment. How about a business that offers a receptionist, office supplies and equipment, private space, phone, internet, technical support and meeting rooms with video conferencing capability? One could rent by the hour, day, week or longer.

In relation to another thread on businesses in Moultonborough, I would appreciate having more businesses located east of Center Harbor. Tilton's Exit 20 is pretty good for most needs, but that is 45 minutes away. I feel like a kid in a candy store when I get as far south as Concord. Going to Boston just has my head spinning.... Rural life is nice, but I think the make-up of the year-round population is changing so that more businesses could be supported - at least after the current crisis of economic confidence is over.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
kjbathe

Ocean State Job Lot
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Irish mist

Default We need some skin in the game

Unless things have changed since last year there is not one dermatolgist in the Lakes Region ! That is not good
________
MERCURY TRACER PICTURE

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
SAMIAM

Yes there is,Irish Mist.....and a good one.His name is Ryan Scannell he is also a surgeon doing facial reconstruction and all that.A young guy with great bedside manner....you'll love him.Went to him for some sun damage (pre cancerous) and he fixed me right up.....he's the real deal 524-7402
Old 02-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Pineedles

Default Pharmacy in Center Harbor

I believe the closest pharmacy is in Meredith. Many years ago Alford pharmacy occupied the old Post Office building. I don't know why they closed, but I would think with more year round people now in the area, if it was a lack of business, things might be better now.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Yes there is,Irish Mist.....and a good one.His name is Ryan Scannell he is also a surgeon doing facial reconstruction and all that.A young guy with great bedside manner....you'll love him.Went to him for some sun damage (pre cancerous) and he fixed me right up.....he's the real deal 524-7402
Thank you for that infomation I'm happy to hear this.
________
FREE VAPORIZER

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
AS much as I love mom and Pop Stores I think a Bass Pro or even better a boaters world or a West Marine would be Great in the Gilford area in the Walmart is or even if the TJ Maxx is nto there any longer beside the Shaws
I've had some various thoughts about that concept in the old Fitzgerald Motorsports building (it has docks!).

I'm not sure that I want to start another retail store, though (Home Theater and Automation in the late 90's). And I'm involved in another technology startup which consumes the majority of my time right now.

Maybe in another year...
Old 02-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
I'm not sure of the need, but perhaps a "rent an office" business would do well. Lots of people seem to be working down south while their family spends the week at their summer home. There are also folks that want to move into the area, but need a professional office type environment. How about a business that offers a receptionist, office supplies and equipment, private space, phone, internet, technical support and meeting rooms with video conferencing capability? One could rent by the hour, day, week or longer.
This is interesting because I've looked at doing this in the MA tech loop.

I worked at another company at the CIC (Cambridge Innovation Center) at One Broadway. That is setup where you pay $250/mo/employee and you get office space, desk, chair (Aeron!), Full access to a VERY well stocked kitchen, conference rooms, Internet, Phone and a few other amenities.

These businesses are difficult to run both properly and profitably (although you can do 1 of those 2 in most cases )

The idea of doing this in the Lakes Region has a lot of appeal, but you'd likely need to get some sort of guaranteed tenant to help cover the basic costs. The Angel Investor idea has a lot of appeal to me and I've had thoughts of doing 6-12mo Angel/Incubator things in the Lakes region. Basically get people who have mobility to come in for contract positions doing startup programming for incubator concepts to spin off to be taken over by an EIR at a VC firm. Couple this 4-10 person workforce with a building that could accommodate 30 workstations and you could start to carve out an interesting niche.

I know of a few people who do this sort of contracting work and just live in various parts of the country (or world) for variable amounts of time.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
callmeD

[QUOTE=Lakegeezer;88934]I'm not sure of the need, but perhaps a "rent an office" business would do well. Lots of people seem to be working down south while their family spends the week at their summer home. There are also folks that want to move into the area, but need a professional office type environment. How about a business that offers a receptionist, office supplies and equipment, private space, phone, internet, technical support and meeting rooms with video conferencing capability? One could rent by the hour, day, week or longer."

Bill: There is a newly renovated building in Alton Bay as you make the corner(there was a fire and the building was rebuilt last year) that has some residential condos on the top floor and office space on the main level, and in the basement area. I believe the builder, Lee, is offering just what you mention.

Donna
Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
callmeD

Default Alternative Healthy Choices

I would like to see a health care facility or clinic employ alternative health care practitioners, as well as mainstream healers, in order to offer people choices and educate them as to what each can do for them. This could include massage therapists, acupuncturists, chiropractors, psychotherapists, physical therapists, nutritionists, yoga practitioners, among others.

The objective is to heal the patient, and by offering "alternative therapies" and natural approaches to healing, this will empower people to take responsibility for their health. Prevention is key in avoiding many common ailments, and good health involves the whole person - mind, body and spirit.

Along those lines, I would also like to see a health food store, such as Whole Foods, since diet is integral to good health, along with exercise. My favorite place in season is Beans and Greens, but a larger store open all year would be a wonderful option.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
Pontoon Goon

Default I know what the surgeon general says

What we need in LR is a good cigar store/ cigar bar. I know there is Jacks in Laconia but if more than one customer in the store at once it is crowded. A place where you can sit back and try a good cigar before buying a box. In a bad economy people do tend to drink and smoke more. I need somebody to step up and play into my vices.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon View Post
What we need in LR is a good cigar store/ cigar bar. I know there is Jacks in Laconia but if more than one customer in the store at once it is crowded. A place where you can sit back and try a good cigar before buying a box. In a bad economy people do tend to drink and smoke more. I need somebody to step up and play into my vices.
Couldn't agree more! The few places that do sell cigars have no idea how to keep them properly humidified and everyone I have ever bought has been spoiled.

Even better, someone previous mentioned a high end steakhouse...How about a Ruths Chris of old when they had cigar lounges. You could go there have a fantastic steak then go relax in the cigar bar and enjoy desert with some vintage Gran Marnier. You could even have your own humidor there!

I know an establishment like this would never make it in the Lakes Region, but I can dream can't I...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #18
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Couldn't agree more! The few places that do sell cigars have no idea how to keep them properly humidified and everyone I have ever bought has been spoiled.

Even better, someone previous mentioned a high end steakhouse...How about a Ruths Chris of old when they had cigar lounges. You could go there have a fantastic steak then go relax in the cigar bar and enjoy desert with some vintage Gran Marnier. You could even have your own humidor there!

I know an establishment like this would never make it in the Lakes Region, but I can dream can't I...

Dan
Hey ishoot308, what you want has been here since years. The Black Cat Cafe; (603) 528-3233 http://www.blackcatcafe.com/blackcat/about.htm

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #19
Argie's Wife

I just want a laundry mat and car wash in Alton.

If I had some $$$...

I'd buy McGrath's little 5-And-Dime and turn it into a laundry mat/gym/carwash combo. A couple of car wash bays, a little gym with some Nautilus equipment and free weights, and some speedy washer/dryers.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Kracken (08-26-2010)
Old 03-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #20
ghfromaltonbay

Default We need a laundromat!!

Alton/Alton Bay does not have a laundromat anymore. The Whitneys did a great business in Alton for years despite the dangerous parking lot. Unfortunately, when the old folks died their family let in run into the ground and finally it closed altogether. Now the nearest laundromats are in Pittsfield, Wolfeboro, or Gilford (next to Patrick's Pub) -- the closest being 12 miles away. A new laundromat with safer parking facilities would be a welcome addition for those in Alton/Alton Bay and New Durham. Too bad they opened a 3rd bank in Alton instead of a laundry in the Hannaford shopping center. Maybe operating a laundromat doesn't sound exciting enough, but it is sure needed. Not only do the summer camps need it, but there are many renters year round who are not allowed to have washer/dryers due to septic issues.

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 03-11-2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: added phrase
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #21
Newbiesaukee

As far as cigar stores, the Fermentation Station in Meredith has a pretty good humidor but you have to brew your own drinks (hence the name).
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #22
corollaman

A good Sport Compact Car parts store. I'm building my Corolla up and I need to order everything I need online. It would be nice to have a store around where I won't have to pay shipping if I do have to order it! LOL We could use a Border's Bookstore too, cause there really aren't any bookstores around with much of a selection in stock. They ought to put a Target and Best Buy here too, instead of more drugstores that we already have an abundance of. LOL and they're building 2 more drugstores just in Laconia. So,yeah, the places I mentioned, we could sure use.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #23
no-engine

Quote:
Where is he located? I saw one in Concord for "pre cancerous" spots on my back and face. Did the "peel" thing 4 years ago; due to see one again.
Where?
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #24
Argie's Wife

Target? Best Buy? Borders?

You're channeling Nashua into Laconia if you go that route.

No thanks for all of the above.

I'd rather see a little mom-n-pop bookstore/coffeeshop/open mic/chess tournament sorta thing go in with some charm and not the corporate signage and industrial atmosphere that Borders has... I loathe big stores and don't feel like they really do much for the area. I'll go to them only if I have to and prefer small-town charm over big-city blitz any day!
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
IslandRadio (08-25-2010)
Old 03-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #25
corollaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

I'd rather see a little mom-n-pop bookstore/coffeeshop/open mic/chess tournament sorta thing go in with some charm and not the corporate signage and industrial atmosphere that Borders has... I loathe big stores and don't feel like they really do much for the area. I'll go to them only if I have to and prefer small-town charm over big-city blitz any day!
The good thing about big box stores though is they bring high tax revenue to the city, and that means less taxes they have to charge the HOMEOWNERS. Otherwise, the homeowners would be having to make up what the city isn't getting from the businesses. I see where you're coming from though, the downtown could use some small specialty shops that just sell a certain kind of thing.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #26
hilltopper

Quote:

I fully agree. It's not like Concord is a 3 day drive if I want to visit any of the big box stores...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #27
Pricestavern

Default Veterinary Hospital

Is there a Veterinary Hospital in the Alton Bay area - The kind open 24 hours in case of emergencies?
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #28
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
... Unfortunately, when the old folks died their family let in run into the ground and finally it closed altogether. ...
Just curious, is it still there ... equipment there ... or did another business move in?
Old 03-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #29
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Newington is the closest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
Is there a Veterinary Hospital in the Alton Bay area - The kind open 24 hours in case of emergencies?
There is an emergency clinic in Newington across from the Fox Run Mall, which I believe would be the closest. Here is their website:

http://www.seacoastevc.com/

We had to use them about ten years ago when one of our little kittens fell off a circular staircase and hit his face on the edge of an old fireplace mantel. Face swelled up really bad, took him down there and was seen in about 15 minutes. Great care. We had called several vets, one here in Alton and two in Rochester (including our own) and their answering machine messages all referred to this practice.

Most vets today, at least in this area tend to be one or two vet shows, and they do need a life after hours. What we do not see is these vets spending hours in the evenings (sometimes overnight) with critically ill pets. The emergency room concept is, in my opinion, a great idea. Staffed 224/7/365, just like a hospital for us.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #30
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
In addition to the one mentioned in Newmarket, there is one in Concord as well. CAVES in Concord is a wonderful facility, we have had to go there a couple times now. They just moved into a great new building just off Ft Eddy Rd.
http://www.capareaves.org/
Old 03-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #31
Ropetow

The Newington emergency vet clinic is fantastic! And, a 'no' to chain stores. Thanks to Al Gore's invention (the Internet) we can order anything we want and usually get it tomorrow. This is likely having a negative impact on independent retailers these days. My local bookstore can order a book for me and they'll have it in about 3 days, or I can order it online and have it tomorrow.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #32
PennyPenny

Default A childrens clothing store would be nice

There is no little kids children stores any more. I have to travel to Tilton or North Conway to purchase decent clothing for my grandchildren, nieces or nephews. I know there is TJ Maxx or Walmart but either the selection or the quality isn't there. Granted, Carters or Oshkosh is in Tilton and the same for North Conway but I would like to be able to do my Laconia/Gilford trip and find the "cute stuff" all in the same day.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PennyPenny For This Useful Post:
Jagstersmom (08-28-2010)
Old 03-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #33
ghfromaltonbay

Default Still there

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Just curious, is it still there ... equipment there ... or did another business move in?
As of this past February when I last looked, all the machines and dryers were still inside the laundromat.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #34
mcdude

Thanked 1,043 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
I just want a laundry mat and car wash in Alton.

If I had some $$$...

I'd buy McGrath's little 5-And-Dime and turn it into a laundry mat/gym/carwash combo. A couple of car wash bays, a little gym with some Nautilus equipment and free weights, and some speedy washer/dryers.
Argie's Wife: Well here's your big chance! The Five & Dime (Lakeside Variety) is having a going out of business sale. 50% off everything. All sales final.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #35
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Argie's Wife: Well here's your big chance! The Five & Dime (Lakeside Variety) is having a going out of business sale. 50% off everything. All sales final.
If a five and dime is having a 50% off sale, does that make it a two point five and nickel store?
Old 11-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #36
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default that depends

If they do a circuit city sale, they raise the price and then do a sale...could be a quarter and fifty cent piece sale.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #37
ghfromaltonbay

Unhappy Another business closing

Now where will we buy those great greeting cards? The 5 & 10 always had a great selection of cards for $0.99 - I bought $25 worth before I headed back to NJ this past October. I'm sorry to hear that the store is closing. I know Doris McGrath is no longer able to work there, but I was hoping her son would keep the place going. It was in a much better spot than the original 5&10 (now home to Marakesh and a few other businesses) and was a great addition once the store at the circle became Aubuchons.

That location would be ideal for a laundromat. Great street visibility + plenty of parking. What we don't need is another bank, hardware store, or beauty salon.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #38
Shreddy

Default Coffee house in Moultonboro

I guarantee that a coffee shop (maybe close to Aubuchon in Moultonboro) would be THRIVE! I'm talking a good sit down, read the paper, converse, read a book coffee shop. There are ZERO good coffee shops in the area. We need something similar to The Met located in North Conway. Someone do it, and I'm sure I can help keep your business afloat!
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #39
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Unfortunately, I can't use my looks to purchase it.

I'd have no idea about how to go about getting investors, etc. for that sort of thing... maybe someone will take my idea and run with it...
Old 11-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #40
SAMIAM

Shreddy....think you've hit on a great idea....we definately need another restaurant in Moultonborough......All we have is The North Shore, Arties, Buckey's, The North End, The Village kitchen, The Bobhouse, The Woodshed, Subway, Kevin's, Lee Wah's, Lemongrass and The Red hill Dairy....plus 3 0r 4 convenience stores selling sandiches, pizza's and meals to go. Why don't you open a place....you can get rich with the rest of us
Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #41
Greenbean

Default Smut shop needed

There does seem to be an opening for an Bar with adult entertainment as well as a one stop lingerie, video and toy shop. Which town would be best - we were thinking Tamworth because they don't have very strict zoning. Anyone know?
Greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #42
Shreddy

Quote:
Shreddy....think you've hit on a great idea....we definately need another restaurant in Moultonborough......All we have is The North Shore, Arties, Buckey's, The North End, The Village kitchen, The Bobhouse, The Woodshed, Subway, Kevin's, Lee Wah's, Lemongrass and The Red hill Dairy....plus 3 0r 4 convenience stores selling sandiches, pizza's and meals to go. Why don't you open a place....you can get rich with the rest of us
With all due respect Sam, I respect you and love the VK, but I don't think you thoroughly understood my post. No where in my post did I say Moultonboro needs another RESTAURANT. I said coffee shop. The closest thing to a coffee shop that the Lakes Region has is Winni Bay Gulls (minus the good choice of coffees) and the Java Tree (if it's even called that?) in Wolfeboro. Like I said, something similar to "The Met" located in North Conway.

For the record, if you lashed out at my post because you think it will jeopardize your business in any way than you need to re-analyze what I proposed and maybe do something about it. The Lakes Region needs a good coffee shop!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #43
fatlazyless

If the state ever takes the big step to legalize some more forms of gambling, then the Weirs Beach area seems like a good fit for some Las Vegas style clubs. Could be a big boost to the Mount Washington if it were able to add gambling and live entertainment.....what a venue....Cruise the Mount ...and what happens on-board....stays on-board. Probably, a big hit!
Old 11-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #44
SAMIAM

That was only a good natured poking Shreddy........I wasn't lashing out at all. Many of us in the business are always kidding about all of the restaurants in such a small town and wishing summer would last a few months longer.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #45
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Shreddy....think you've hit on a great idea....we definately need another restaurant in Moultonborough......All we have is The North Shore, Arties,Buckey's,The North End,The Village kitchen,The Bobhouse,The Woodshed,Subway,Kevin's,Lee Wah's Lemongrass and The Red hill Dairy....plus 3 0r 4 convenience stores selling sandiches,pizza's and meals to go.Why don't you open a place....you can get rich with the rest of us
Good list Samiam. Add to that Center Harbor Diner (offically across the line, right?) and the Pizza place by Century 21's offices.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #46
Shreddy

Quote:
That was only a good natured poking Shreddy........I wasn't lashing out at all. Many of us in the business are always kidding about all of the restaurants in such a small town and wishing summer would last a few months longer.
I understand completely. The market up here is driven off of monopolistic competition where businesses differentiate themselves due to the services and food they provide that it makes it extremely hard for anything trying to enter the market up here extremely hard. Many customers are brand loyal and know they are getting a great breakfast at the VK, or a solid burger at Buckey's. They also know that they can spend a pretty penny and fine dine at Canoe or the Woodshed.

Yes, the restaurant business is very established in the Lakes Region and much of the profit is seasonal, based around summer, as you mentioned. However, as I said, I still think there is plenty of opportunity for a coffee shop to thrive up here. I have friends that will drive 12-15 miles just to go to Dunkin Donuts for a coffee. If there was a place around here where you could get a custom latte or custom coffees and sit down to relax for a minute, I think it would do well.

As I said originally, there is a lack of variety when it comes to coffee and MANY people base their day around that pick-me-up.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #47
SAMIAM

Silly me, Lakegeezer.....missed that one.....also Sam and Rosie's, Canoe and Coe House are on the same strip.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #48
Pineedles

Default Fine Dining in the LR

And I am thankful for everyone of these entrepreneurs who give us their very best.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #49
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Cigars and Wine

What would really be nice is a couple of GOOD cigar stores. I am talking about ones that carry a quality selection of fresh, properly humidified cigars and accessories that compliment them. Maybe include some fine wines in the same store and I think you have a winning combination!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #50
Argie's Wife

Quote:
What would really be nice is a couple of GOOD cigar stores. I am talking about ones that carry a quality selection of fresh, properly humidified cigars and accessories that compliment them. Maybe include some fine wines in the same store and I think you have a winning combination!

Dan
One just opened in the Pavilion on Alton Bay a while back...
Old 11-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #51
SIKSUKR

I saw a piece on NECN about a topless dounut shop reopening in Maine. I think the guy is looking to franchise.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #52
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I saw a piece on NECN about a topless dounut shop reopening in Maine. I think the guy is looking to franchise.
Ah, Mark's donuts. A true New England classic!
Old 11-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #53
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
I saw a piece on NECN about a topless dounut shop reopening in Maine.I think the guy is looking to franchise.
After writing and erasing several responses, I just can't think of one that won't get me in trouble.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #54
Pineedles

Default Topless donuts

Quote:
Well that's just silly! Why would anyone want a donut without a top?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #55
magicrobotmonkey

How about a burrito shop?
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #56
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
I saw that but after seeing his picture, the image of him topless would scare me away.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #57
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Ah, Mark's donuts. A true New England classic!
Actually Chip, it was not the one in South Portland that you seem to be familiar with. This one seemed to be off the beaten path. The waitresses and patrons sure looked it. This one had been burned on purpose by disapproving locals. I think the new one was set up in a trailer next to the pile of debris left from the fire. First class operation of course. Sorry for the semi hijack.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #58
Barbara

Default Penny penny answer to your request

There is a great children's shop in Wolfeboro, Sprouts, that carries more upscale clothing and toys. I don't know where you live in the region, but The Wooden Soldier in No. Conway village is fabulous with very special clothing at discounted prices from the catalog. Wooden Soldier is an upscale catalog company. There headquartered on Rt. 16 in Intervale, up near Jackson, and have a large retail store with discounted merchandise there also.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #59
callmeD

Shreddy -

What about a Starbucks / Barnes and Noble-type "coffee shop" ... with wifi? (I think this may not be quite what you were thinking, but I like it.) You can hang around all day if you want and they don't bother you.

Barnes and Noble is kind of like the library ... with refreshments.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #60
Newbiesaukee

The Village Perk in Meredith used to have free Wi-Fi and a similar, but local atmosphere. Don't know about the new owners. Mocha Rizing in Center Sandwich has the same kind of menu and atmosphere..don't know about the Wi-Fi.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #61
Jeanzb1

Two suggestions: Panera (high-end sandwich/soup/salad chain) and/or a
nice bookstore!?
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #62
lawn psycho

We would love to see more hotels and motels that rent rooms and dock space (and allow pets). It's actually a better deal for us to rent Friday/Sat night for a chunk of weekends than to leave the boat slipped all season.

Right now we have a slip and rent at a hotel on the "other" side of the lake that has docking available. We're seriously considering dumping the slip rent and just renting on weekends. Trailering is a PITA but if you can get in Friday night you get the whole weekend.

We already have 12 nights booked and depending on my work schedule it will undoubtedly be more.

Our only issue is pets since we have two golden retrievers so we're tied to who can watch them if we can't get the "pet rooms". Our daughter sorta controls our boating freedom.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #63
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
nice bookstore!?
I think a Panera *might* be successful but only if it's in a high traffic area. The problem is for many small businesses like that is you need year round income to pay the franchise fees. I have a very close friend who opened up a franshise and the fees ate him up and he sold the place to go back to the corporate world.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #64
fatlazyless

Hello Plymouth.....looks like a new CVS willl be coming to Plymouth,,,,corner Highland & Tenny Mt Hgwy......in what is now a manufactored home sales biz....across from Burger King.....in addition to the drugstores at Rite Aid, Hannaford & Wal-Mart.......hello Plymouth CVS.....isn't the last independant NH drugstore of this century still open up on top of the hill at Mid-State Health.....

Maybe Wal-Mart could move into the Rt 104 Meredith plaza...formerly Jackson Star......to really put Meredith on the map it needs its' very own Wal-Mart.......hey.....even Woodsville, NH, has a Super Wal-Mart and that's in the middle of no where....
Old 02-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #65
pickwick

Default Emergency Veternarian

There is a local emergency vet--Winnipesaukee Emergency Veterinary services in Meredith. They are wonderful.

www.winnipesaukeeveter.com
8 Maple Street
Meredith, NH 03253-5849
(603) 279-1117
pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #66
Grady223

Quote:

Dan
Re steakhouses, I think O Steak & Seafood, Lakeport is as good as any of the chains. Of course you can no longer smoke in restaurants of bars.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #67
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 View Post
nice bookstore!?
There is a wonderful bookstore in Wolfeboro, the Country Bookseller.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #68
State

A Honda dealership in Laconia. I can't bring myself to buy a "Gov't Motors" car next year when my vehicle turns 11. I have never been a Toyota man. It's Honda (in Concord) or Meredith Ford for me.

A Starbucks in Moultonboro would be nice. But I tell ya the coffee at McDonald's is really good.
State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:57 AM   #69
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by State View Post
A Honda dealership in Laconia. I can't bring myself to buy a "Gov't Motors" car next year when my vehicle turns 11. I have never been a Toyota man. It's Honda (in Concord) or Meredith Ford for me.

A Starbucks in Moultonboro would be nice. But I tell ya the coffee at McDonald's is really good.
Have you driven a www.meredithford.com lately? Meredith Ford has a terrific service dept keeping all the old local Fords road safe. Buy it at Portsmouth Ford for the low price and get it fixed at Meredith Ford....8-years later.....way-to-go....or something!?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #70
Bluebell

Whole Foods Market or Trader Joe's ....
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #71
sky's

Default when somebody decides i have a beautiful building for lease/sale

i have a very nice building in Moultonboro located at 517 Whittier nicely remodeled downstairs and the upstairs could be remodeled to 3 bedroom apartment. give me a shout. 254-4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Recent threads here have got me wondering. What types of business would do well in the area? We have seen the ones that do not do well and they go under faster than a 20 lb rock in the lake. So what service is lacking up here that people would call a business that would be successful? We know what doesn't do well so lets leave those out. Concentrate on services that are needed in the area, and that would actually be used. Maybe we could help someone out.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #72
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady223 View Post
There is a wonderful bookstore in Wolfeboro, the Country Bookseller.

Bayswater Bookstore in Center Harbor is very nice also, as is Innisfree in Meredith. Neither of these has the coffee-wifi combo added to the store, though...is there much of a market for that?

I wish that there was a nice, pub-type restaurant in any town that was accessible by boat. We love the Bob House, but it's a long walk from the water! Funnest thing we've found like that is the Mexican restaurant in Wolfeboro.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #73
corollaman

I would like to see a Border's up here. I love that store, but have to go to Concord. Online purchasing has put a huge dent in stores, especially the mom and pop places. Why go to the store and look for it when you can have the computer narrow down the search results down to exactly what you're looking for, and then buy it right from your living room?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #74
natureboy79

A real breakfast restaurant near the north end of the lake. There are 4 places within 20 minutes and I have yet had a breakfast worth mentioning. You would think it would be easy but for some reason its absent IMO. The french toast is bland, over easy eggs are broken, home-fries are plain, it seems like its something different at each spot.Maybe its because I did breakfast for many years and am to critical but I see waiting lines in the summer because there's no where else to go,not because "its so good". So some body please open a place and concentrate on breakfast maybe breakfast and lunch only with breakfast all day. Summertime is sure to make you money with the population here on the weekends.I have never heard of anyone talk about a breakfast place on the lake.Do it good and Id think you would have a gold mine.
natureboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #75
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy79 View Post
... So some body please open a place and concentrate on breakfast maybe breakfast and lunch only with breakfast all day. Summertime is sure to make you money with the population here on the weekends.I have never heard of anyone talk about a breakfast place on the lake.Do it good and Id think you would have a gold mine.
So what's stopping you?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #76
phoenix

suprised with all the good reviews on Village Kitchen and the long lines every at least weekend days that you would not find it really good.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #77
natureboy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
So what's stopping you?
$$$$$$$$$$$, pepper,wanna make an investment?-lol

I think the village kitchen is horrible. but then again there aren't many options.I only go to be social with friends. The take out place by the moultonboro airport has a sign saying full breakfast menu in 2010-we'll see
natureboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #78
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Arrow So what's stopping you?

I tried to purchase a couple of existing businesses in the area and the bank have pretty much make it difficult to get a loan. Basically, if you have enough liquid cash to cover the loan, they will loan it to you. How many people have that much cash???????
Old 03-27-2010, 05:40 AM   #79
Pepper

Quote:
$$$$$$$$$$$, pepper,wanna make an investment?-lol

Sorry, my days as a restaurant owner are over - been there, done that!

And besides ... I love the Village Kitchen!
Old 03-27-2010, 05:59 AM   #80
fatlazyless

McDonald's Meredith just added three breakfast items to their dollar menu; breakfast burrito, breakfast egg-sausage, Paul Newman coffee-any size, which in truth is really a $1.09 menu masquerading as a dollar menu.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #81
Heaven

Quote:
A real breakfast restaurant near the north end of the lake. There are 4 places within 20 minutes and I have yet had a breakfast worth mentioning. You would think it would be easy but for some reason its absent IMO. The french toast is bland, over easy eggs are broken, home-fries are plain, it seems like its something different at each spot.Maybe its because I did breakfast for many years and am to critical but I see waiting lines in the summer because there's no where else to go,not because "its so good". So some body please open a place and concentrate on breakfast maybe breakfast and lunch only with breakfast all day. Summertime is sure to make you money with the population here on the weekends.I have never heard of anyone talk about a breakfast place on the lake.Do it good and Id think you would have a gold mine.
Well the VK is a place I like but maybe you don't, but have you tried the Miss Wakefield diner, or Peaches in North Conway, and there is a new place in the parking lot across from Peaches that has HOME MADE, from scratch (not a mix), bearnaise sauce for the egg benedict. . . wow was it ever good . . .
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #82
sa meredith

Default really

Quote:
Really??? I've always thought there is no shortage of great breakfast spots. They're everywhere.
IMO, you just can't miss at George's... you will need to wait in line on weekends. And, no it's not because there is no where else to go (Sunshine and Pa's is right next door). It's because it is THAT good.
And Village Kitchen...also a can't miss spot. Great everytime, and fantastic employees. Don't know how he trains them, but it seems they're really dialed in on how to handle the over flow crowds. Really seem to make everyone feel welcome. Very upbeat poeple.
One other great breakfast spot worth mentioning is Kitchen Cravings, over near the airport. A million things to choose from, and a touch more formal than your average diner. Just stay away from the half tables...what foolish things they are. And, if you go there, seriously, you have to check out the rest rooms. Sorta like they hired an interior decorator to do them.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #83
Pontoon Goon

Default Natureboy you must be used to eating bark

SA you nailed the three I thought of right away. If you aren't happy with breakfast from any of those three i am not sure what you are expecting.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #84
baygo

Default Boating Baskets

I think the region needs a service to pair boaters with the restaurants that will package a cooler full of tasty dishes. Matter of fact I'm so sure, I just got the domain name BoatingBaskets.com

I'll put it online soon to provide boaters the ability to find and order a basket from any participating restaurant. If you would like a specific restaurant to expand its service to you via this channel, please encourage the restaurant to contact me soon to be included. The restaurant will be able to maintain a description of all baskets they offer. The boater will be able to order via a mobile friendly format. This will provide access for boaters from any web capable handheld device (cellphones on the water) when they have service. There is no charge for restaurant participation. Interested restaurants can contact me via email to eat@tavern27.com
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
trfour (03-27-2010)
Old 03-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #85
breathe easy

Just got this on Merchant Circle. We def. need a convenience store. Good news I think.

We are reopening Townsends Market. We are going to offer the best subs, pizza and dinners you'll find in the area. Full service deli convenience store items lottery and more Please check us out on Facebook also, Let us know what you need us to do to make this relationship work. Home of the "Awesome Steak Bomb "
breathe easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #86
Lucky1

Tilton and Concord seem like a hike to me especially with gas prices being what they are now. I can see places around this area that would be good for some of the Tilton Stores.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #87
NHBoat70

Default Something for the 20-something crowd

This area is lacking anything of interest for those people who are in the their 20s. In my personal opinion, this is no place for someone coming out of college to live because of the lack of a social environment basically because there are no opportunities for social interaction. There needs to be a place where people in their 20s can openly meeting other people in the area, outside of the bar situation. Everything closes so damn early around here, but in all seriousness, we need something open pass 12am in the morning (YES I know businesses must stop selling after a certain time, but come on!).

A nice lounge type place would be nice, maybe some place has special events throughout the week or on the weekends. Have a restaurant, like a dinner or something, open 24/7 or have a recreation center open during the evening/night hours (I don't get out of work until 9 or 10pm so I would be cool to go and shoot hoops or something with people).
NHBoat70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #88
Nitronut

What about something that incorporated a lot of these ideas. Kind of a private club that also provided a high end gourmet restaurant, cigar lounge, and office services. Similar to the 100 Club in Portsmouth. There could be a board room for meetings, secretary(s) and computer/video conferencing equipment, and maybe a locker room for storage of private, hard to find, wines, liquors, cigars or other personal products. Limousine service for airport runs and so local "designated driver" needs were met. Additional services for members could include a concierge service for trip bookings and lake needs, and a winter cleaning, maintenance service for checking on vacant properties. Maybe even a spa/massage services.
Would there be a need for this? Maybe a Guilford location, close to the airport? Kimball Castle perhaps. On the 20 plus acres surrounding the castle you could put high end cabins for visiting guests and business associates, that you want close but not too close.
What would be the value $$ or this type of service? What would be the interest level?
Nitronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #89
Winni P

Default Freedom Boat Club

I'd love to see a Freedom Boat Club type of business up there!
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #90
birchhaven

Default boating club

Do you think a freedom boat club would work on the lake? I always was intrigued with the idea of no maintenance, different boat everyday, and no dock fee, but the 5k sign up charge always killed me.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #91
Winni P

Default Boat Club

I'm not sure if it would work but it intrigues me too. I live on the ocean and we have talked about joining someday. If it was available at the lake, I would join in a heartbeat.
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #92
Nitronut

I just checked it out. Not a bad deal when you think about it.
I know my $50K boat costs me about 410/mth loan payment, $500+/yr maintenance, $300/yr winterizing, $600/yr insurance, not to mention the headache of storing it. What's that $6310 per year. Although in my case, moving the fishing gear in and out each time would be a huge ordeal. But if you live in multiple spots for different seasons, or travel waterfront frequently, I could see where this would be great.
Ouch! It just dawned on me how much I'm spending before gas, oil, and fishing fees.
Nitronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #93
jrc

I seem to remeber Fay's have a sailboat club in the past?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #94
dogma

Default No Chains !

Certainly dont want chain stores or restaurants.. how about an Italian restaurant with good pizza?
dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #95
fatlazyless

Driving past on the road that skirts Paugus Bay, it looks like the Paugus Bay Sports Shop has done sold its last fishing bait and done closed up for good. Hate to see a locally owned small biz get closed up and probably succumb to the nearby fishing dept at Wal-Mart, or something like that.

Noticed there's a new business that's opened in the Meredith shopping center in the spot formerly occupied by The Tape Escape. Believe the new biz is a Verizon Wireless Telephone store....which for me is totally underwhelming....give me the old stores....Ben Franklin, Parafunalia, Tape Escape & October Farm any day of the week and twice on Sundays...as opposed to what's now there.....and this is supposedly progress? Like wow....a Verizon Store....ugh!

Betcha the rent in there is very high, because one large storefront next to Rite Aid has been continuously vacant since Thanksgiving 2008, when the construction was completed, and a Verizon can no doubt swing a steep rent.

Hannaford....no-way, Rite Aid....is the wrong aid, and now a Verizon store....good grief!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #96
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Lake Region Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Driving past on the road that skirts Paugus Bay, it looks like the Paugus Bay Sports Shop has done sold its last fishing bait and done closed up for good. Hate to see a locally owned small biz get closed up and probably succumb to the nearby fishing dept at Wal-Mart, or something like that.

Noticed there's a new business that's opened in the Meredith shopping center in the spot formerly occupied by The Tape Escape. Believe the new biz is a Verizon Wireless Telephone store....which for me is totally underwhelming....give me the old stores....Ben Franklin, Parafunalia, Tape Escape & October Farm any day of the week and twice on Sundays...as opposed to what's now there.....and this is supposedly progress? Like wow....a Verizon Store....ugh!

Betcha the rent in there is very high, because one large storefront next to Rite Aid has been continuously vacant since Thanksgiving 2008, when the construction was completed, and a Verizon can no doubt swing a steep rent.

Hannaford....no-way, Rite Aid....is the wrong aid, and now a Verizon store....good grief!
FLL, that is really LR Computer. They are also Verizon resellers. They are a locally owned computer store where you can always get good advice and gear.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #97
Argie's Wife

...and can we have coffee shops in the LR more than Dunkin Donuts?

I really don't like their coffee and I hate their pre-fab pastries.

Gimme strong, almost rude, dark, Turkish coffee. Give it a tastee carb-loaded, home-made pastry for a side-kick... and I'm in love.

Where's one of these type of places in the LR?

(And for the love of all that's holy, please don't say 'Starbucks' in Tilton.)
Old 06-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #98
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
FLL, that is really LR Computer. They are also Verizon resellers. They are a locally owned computer store where you can always get good advice and gear.
Actually, a good computer store would be nice. I've been in LR computer for several things and always walk out empty handed. The last time in there, I was looking for blank CDs. I ended up finding one selection at Heaths Hardware. LR Computer seems to be mostly about Verizon phones with a bit computer stuff thrown in.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #99
Shreddy

Quote:

Gimme strong, almost rude, dark, Turkish coffee. Give it a tastee carb-loaded, home-made pastry for a side-kick... and I'm in love.

Careful expressing these feelings. Area business owners are scared this might hurt their business!
Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #100
jmen24

Default I have your coffee

Quote:

I have the coffee that you are looking for and it can be brewed on an stove top but preferably over an open fire.

Take a nice steel coffee brewer (the old style perc type work best, can also use a pot, but either way you need to be able to stir with a wooden spoon, so get a biggin), now throw out all that percolating garbage on the inside so you are left with just a brewing pot and a lid.

Fill with water (leave some space at the top for a tall glass worth of additional water) and add in your ground coffee, how much does not matter, dump, scoop, whatever you are in the mood for. Get that into a rolling boil.

Once boiling, remove from the heat and start stirring the pot, you are looking for a good funnel shape in the center, not washing machine style stirring. Got a good current, good, now pour in a glass full of ice cold water and let the current go away on its own. No more agitation from the brewmaster or else.

Over 90% of the coffee grounds will be at the bottom of the pot and unless you pull the short straw you will have a great STRONG cup of coffee to get you going. Short straw gets the last cup and something about having to chew your way to the bottom of the cup just does not sit well with some folks.

And DO NOT think of adding sugar or milk to this style of coffee, that stuff is for skirts and it will not be able to handle the power brought on by the "coffee".

Enjoy
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote