Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
onthebay

Default Food Allergy Aware Restaurants

Moved away from the big Lake 5 years ago for warmer climes. Heading up for a couple weeks in June. I am looking for any information on restaurants that are savvy regarding food allergies. A year ago my wife was diagnosed with Celiacs disease has had to cut out Gluten completely from her diet. Unfortunately also allergic to eggs and yeast. (No beer or wine)

A lot of restaurants are now touting "Gluten Friendly" because for some view it is viewed as a fad diet. Unfortunately to her it is very serious. Think about someone with a peanut allergy and how dangerous that can be.

Anyone with similar allergies that could help with restaurant suggestions?
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
SIKSUKR

Rattlesnake Girl will probably chime in here. If not then pm her as she has the same celiac issues.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
Misha888

Default My neighbor . . .

has Celiacs disease and she can't go out to a restaurant anywhere around us in Gilford. If she goes out, she brings her own salad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebay View Post
Moved away from the big Lake 5 years ago for warmer climes. Heading up for a couple weeks in June. I am looking for any information on restaurants that are savvy regarding food allergies. A year ago my wife was diagnosed with Celiacs disease has had to cut out Gluten completely from her diet. Unfortunately also allergic to eggs and yeast. (No beer or wine)

A lot of restaurants are now touting "Gluten Friendly" because for some view it is viewed as a fad diet. Unfortunately to her it is very serious. Think about someone with a peanut allergy and how dangerous that can be.

Anyone with similar allergies that could help with restaurant suggestions?
Old 05-29-2015, 10:58 PM   #4
Smokienorm

Default Tavern 27 for gluten free & alergies

Tavern 27 has an extensive gluten free menu and will try to accommodate other allergies that are brought to their attention. The owner's mother had severe food sensitivities so he is very alert to these issues.
Smokienorm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smokienorm For This Useful Post:
georgeisallheart (05-30-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Great App to Get

I downloaded a great app called find me GF.

I cannot speak for these restaurants, as I have not been, but others have rated them well:

As stated above, Tavern 27 in Laconia
Lyon's Den in Gilford
Patrick's Pub in Gilford
Garwood's in Wolfeboro
Krayatip in Tilton
Wolfeboro Inn
Lemon Grass in Moultonborough
The Common Man in Tilton and Ashland

T-Bones in Bedford has GF , so I assume the Laconia restaurant does too.
On the way to the lake, there is a Burton's in Nashua. (Exit 36 as you're heading north)
Chen Yang Li in Bedford

Good luck, onthebay! You already know that there is a definite risk with eating out with gluten sensitivities. The added egg and yeast bump it up a notch too. I really feel for your wife and her limitations, but there are others in this world that are much worse off than we are.
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
Misha888

Default I'll pass on . . .

the good word. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
I downloaded a great app called find me GF.

I cannot speak for these restaurants, as I have not been, but others have rated them well:

As stated above, Tavern 27 in Laconia
Lyon's Den in Gilford
Patrick's Pub in Gilford
Garwood's in Wolfeboro
Krayatip in Tilton
Wolfeboro Inn
Lemon Grass in Moultonborough
The Common Man in Tilton and Ashland

T-Bones in Bedford has GF , so I assume the Laconia restaurant does too.
On the way to the lake, there is a Burton's in Nashua. (Exit 36 as you're heading north)
Chen Yang Li in Bedford

Good luck, onthebay! You already know that there is a definite risk with eating out with gluten sensitivities. The added egg and yeast bump it up a notch too. I really feel for your wife and her limitations, but there are others in this world that are much worse off than we are.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #7
onthebay

Default Thx

Thanks for the input everyone. Never had an appreciation for what people with food allergies deal with until it impacted us. I guess that's the way it is with a lot of things.
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
That Guy

IIRC, Wolfegang's in Wolfeboro has gluten free pizza.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
neutronxray

Default Kitchen Cravings in Gilford

I have celiac disease and frequent Kitchen Cravings in Gilford. The do a great job of providing me with gluten free breakfast items. I have had gluten free eggs benedict, gluten free pancakes and much more. I would highly recommend them to any celiac.

Kitchen Cravings
15 Airport Rd, Gilford, NH 03249
(603) 528-0001
neutronxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
Smokienorm

Default Kitchen Cravings

Kitchen Cravings near the Gilford Laconia Airport is excellent for breakfast and lunch and they do provide a lot of gluten free items under their present ownership by Sally and Bill Bickford.

However, they have announced that they are looking to sell the restaurant and hope that they can sell to someone who will continue their traditions of good healthy food at reasonable prices.

Until they sell, gluten free eaters can enjoy, but with new owners, you will have to check out what happens to the menu.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #11
Smokienorm

Default Tavern 27- MORE

We ate there again a few nights ago and it was as great as ever. My wife is gluten free, as was the owner's mother.

We had their gluten-free fried calamari and their gluten-free fried haddock bites. The haddock bites portion was so large for only 2 of us as to be a meal itself.

We finished stuffing ourselves with an order of seared scallops on beds of sautéed spinach- sorry we only had room for a single order of 2.

They have been getting busier and busier, and reservations are a must in the Season, even though they have expanded their seating a bit. They have a full bar, a piano bar with extensive seating, and a very warm and friendly atmosphere with consistently excellent food.

Definitely our #1 choice in the Lakes Region.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smokienorm For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (06-19-2015)