Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default Truck through the ice

Just on the news a truck went through the ice last night in Meredith.
JPP (02-18-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
fpartri497

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Just on the news a truck went through the ice last night in Meredith.

It had to happen didn't It ?
JPP (02-18-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
Belmont Resident

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
It had to happen didn't It ?
No comment.
No sympathy either
JPP (02-18-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Somebody wrote a letter to the editor this week, saying that his truck went through the ice. To summarize, he said he was experienced, watched another truck go the same place he did and never thought it would happen to him. But it did. The truck was a total loss. So he said be very careful on the ice.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
JPP (02-18-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Info here:

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Cre...v/-/index.html
Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Somebody wrote a letter to the editor this week, saying that his truck went through the ice. To summarize, he said he was experienced, watched another truck go the same place he did and never thought it would happen to him. But it did. The truck was a total loss. So he said be very careful on the ice.
Steve, unless someone is handicapped there is absolutely no reason to drive a truck out onto the ice. Especially with the ice conditions the way they are this year. Snowmobile or ATV, ya but a full size PU
Besides a little exercise never hurt anyone.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Mink Islander

Default Too bad.

This is one of those years where what "usually" is okay, might not be due to the strange weather we had around ice in. I still won't walk through Cattle Landing even though there are plenty of sled tracks through there. Better to be careful, than wet. Glad everyone was okay, including the dog. Trucks are easily replaced.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Yesterday, Saturday, at about 2-pm I stopped at the Meredith town docks for about 30-minutes and smacked a tennis trainer-tennis ball using the mahogany dock area closest to the ice cream shack. During one rest break from practicing tennis, I noticed someone had parked a very nice looking grey Toyota Tacoma 4-wheel drive pretty close to the open water created by the water circulators. The truck was parked about 20-feet, that's all, from the open water surrounding the docks closer to the boat ramp, and I was thinking how that did not look too safe. So, I turned around and got back to more serious stuff.....like practicing for springtime and tennis!

Was this the truck that fell through the ice?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Unique-Fil...ainer/11303688

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-17-2013 at 12:10 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
diz

Default Red Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Yesterday, Saturday, at about 2-pm I stopped at the Meredith town docks for about 30-minutes and smacked a tennis trainer-tennis ball using the mahogany dock area closest to the ice cream shack. During one rest break from practicing tennis, I noticed someone had parked a very nice looking grey Toyota Tacoma 4-wheel drive pretty close to the open water created by the water circulators. The truck was parked about 20-feet, that's all, from the open water surrounding the docks closer to the boat ramp, and I was thinking how that did not look too safe. So, I turned around and got back to more serious stuff.....like practicing for springtime and tennis!

Was this the truck that fell through the ice?
It was a red Ford. When I went by this morning it was parked next to the ramp.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
oldflounder

I drove by there a couple times yesterday afternoon. The boat ramp trail onto the ice looked pretty beat up. The stream inlet and docks have a lot of open water. Maybe there is some longshore flow between the open waters that is eating away at the bottom of the ice at the ramp. I only saw one small p/u each time I drove by. One was a couple hundred feet in from the ramp at some huts and the other was way up the bay. There were none on the ice at Ctr Hrb so I think people are heeding the warnings to keep the vehicles off. There will probably be an early ice out again this year unless we get a long spell of drastically cold weather night and day; though I think the worst of it is over.
oldflounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
boat_guy64

Default not that one

FLL,

That wasn't the truck. The truck that fell through is an older red Ford (at least I think it is a Ford) It was still parked at the boat launch this morning. That ice at the launch was looking pretty bad yesterday. I'm surprised anyone would have driven on it. A lot of fishermen are going to have a very difficult time getting their shacks off of the ice with that hole in front of the launch.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Yep...The Bob house might just be Bobbing this Spring. Driving on the ice is like Bungee Jumping. Just because the bungee worked for the guy before you doesn't mean it is going to work for you......
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Tank151

Default Why...

would anyone want to risk endangering themselves, other's and contaminating/polluting this (or any other) beautiful NH lakes? DUMB, DUMB & DUMB!
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
Belmont Resident

Default All last week it was bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldflounder View Post
I drove by there a couple times yesterday afternoon. The boat ramp trail onto the ice looked pretty beat up. The stream inlet and docks have a lot of open water. Maybe there is some longshore flow between the open waters that is eating away at the bottom of the ice at the ramp. I only saw one small p/u each time I drove by. One was a couple hundred feet in from the ramp at some huts and the other was way up the bay. There were none on the ice at Ctr Hrb so I think people are heeding the warnings to keep the vehicles off. There will probably be an early ice out again this year unless we get a long spell of drastically cold weather night and day; though I think the worst of it is over.
I started driving out to Moultonborough on Tuesday and at that time the area leading out onto the ice looked bad.

Going to be real cold and windy tonight.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

As a diver here’s my perspective for what it’s worth, on a vehicle going through the ice and what you can expect if you’re in the vehicle and don’t get out; I’ve dived in the winter so I speak from experience of water temps, visibility, silt and the effect of ice cold water etc.; I’m no expert but I’ve seen cars and trucks on the bottom up close and personal-wow. Every time I see one I of course wonder what happened and how ugly it probably was. Consider:

- Windows are up, vehicle lands on bottom upright; Water pressure prevents you from opening the doors; You drown slowly in 36 degree water; Hypothermia sets in as you die. Slowly. In dark water at best or total blackness depending on depth-just imagine that; If you’re lucky you can wait until the pressure inside equals the pressure outside due to water coming in (visualize how that would work while you’re in the vehicle) at which point opening a door may be possible;

- Vehicle lands upside down; Chances are really good there is enough mud or silt to prevent you from opening the doors at all, even with window(s) down; If the mud/silt is deep enough even with windows down you can’t get out because it sank into the bottom; You die slowly. In dark water or total blackness. Upside down;

- You have a tool to smash the window resulting in an explosion of 36 degree water and glass fragments entering the vehicle-basicly a bomb went off; Now you make your move, assuming you’re not 100% freaked out and paralyzed with shock-pain-fear and you don’t have mud, silt or glass in your eyes; I carry a sheet metal punch with a spring-loaded point that is pressed against the glass and cracks it no problem;

- You beat the odds and get out; So which way is up as you a) deal with screaming mind-bending ear pain due to water pressure b) deal with a screaming “ice-cream headache” so bad you’re probably paralyzed c) deal with shaking un-controllably from being in ice water d) deal with finding the other person in the vehicle and get them out also before swimming to the surface-you’ll try to save them, right? e) Deal with having no air to breath the entire time;

- You head for the surface assuming you even know which way is up and you’re not dead yet-and it would be remarkable if you were not; Where is the hole? How well can you swim with boots, jacket, gloves etc.. Answer: Not well at all; You hit the bottom of the ice and are terrified trying to find the hole-ponder that; Happened at night? You're done;

As to having an animal on board-for God’s sake leave them at home-don’t kill your pet too-please limit the death just to yours and whoever else is with you. Seriously.

As to planes landing on ice, the typical private plane such as a Cessna Cardinal or Skyhawk might weight half that of a truck, and the weight is dispersed due to skis and their overall lightness, and the wings would stop you from going through anything other than an open water hole-not a good situation by any means but if I had a choice, planes win every time;

I understand really well why people want to take any vehicle on to ice. Doesn’t make it a good idea.

What I don’t understand is why Insurers typically pay for these events, considering there are usually ‘off-road” clauses excluding coverage in the an Auto Insurance policy meaning taking the vehicle say, on a logging road for a workout isn’t covered. You can’t get anymore off-road than taking a ride on ice. What Insurers should do is Rider out this coverage-buy a Rider/Option to cover “ice-related” events and don’t send the bill to the rest of us who own coverage, don’t ever drive on ice, but have to share in the cost your ice-driving risk as the insured public does now. And if you don’t have the Rider and drive on ice (you know many will do this-that’s just a fact) then you pay for the whole event from your own pocket. Assuming you’re not dead of course and your family gets the bill.

Think people, think. Is it worth it? Many will say flatly-yes.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (02-18-2013), CateP (02-18-2013), Merrymeeting (02-18-2013), Mirror Lake's BB (02-18-2013), Pontoon Goon (02-18-2013), Rattlesnake Gal (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #16
ApS

Red face Practice Makes Errors...

Diver1111 makes many good points, including that all the insured share in the expense of replacing a vehicle falling through the ice.

One important point that needs adding was discovered by newscaster Dwight Lauderdale, for South Florida's TV station, WSVN.

(WSVN is partnered with WHDH of Boston, and gave the world national news-anchor Rick Sanchez.)

Anyway, perhaps twenty years ago as an experiment, Dwight Lauderdale drove a big sedan into a South Florida canal alone—but surrounded by divers—who videotaped the experience of escaping a car that was under water. Dwight Lauderdale knew "the drill" of allowing the car to fill with water before opening the door.

The resulting video was riveting: even with the door fully opened, he couldn't get out!

In the interview that followed, Dwight Lauderdale related that he hadn't practiced his escape without first removing his seatbelt!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #17
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
As a diver here’s my perspective for what it’s worth, on a vehicle going through the ice and what you can expect if you’re in the vehicle and don’t get out; I’ve dived in the winter so I speak from experience of water temps, visibility, silt and the effect of ice cold water etc.; I’m no expert but I’ve seen cars and trucks on the bottom up close and personal-wow. Every time I see one I of course wonder what happened and how ugly it probably was. Consider:

- Windows are up, vehicle lands on bottom upright; Water pressure prevents you from opening the doors; You drown slowly in 36 degree water; Hypothermia sets in as you die. Slowly. In dark water at best or total blackness depending on depth-just imagine that; If you’re lucky you can wait until the pressure inside equals the pressure outside due to water coming in (visualize how that would work while you’re in the vehicle) at which point opening a door may be possible;

- Vehicle lands upside down; Chances are really good there is enough mud or silt to prevent you from opening the doors at all, even with window(s) down; If the mud/silt is deep enough even with windows down you can’t get out because it sank into the bottom; You die slowly. In dark water or total blackness. Upside down;

- You have a tool to smash the window resulting in an explosion of 36 degree water and glass fragments entering the vehicle-basicly a bomb went off; Now you make your move, assuming you’re not 100% freaked out and paralyzed with shock-pain-fear and you don’t have mud, silt or glass in your eyes; I carry a sheet metal punch with a spring-loaded point that is pressed against the glass and cracks it no problem;

- You beat the odds and get out; So which way is up as you a) deal with screaming mind-bending ear pain due to water pressure b) deal with a screaming “ice-cream headache” so bad you’re probably paralyzed c) deal with shaking un-controllably from being in ice water d) deal with finding the other person in the vehicle and get them out also before swimming to the surface-you’ll try to save them, right? e) Deal with having no air to breath the entire time;

- You head for the surface assuming you even know which way is up and you’re not dead yet-and it would be remarkable if you were not; Where is the hole? How well can you swim with boots, jacket, gloves etc.. Answer: Not well at all; You hit the bottom of the ice and are terrified trying to find the hole-ponder that; Happened at night? You're done;

As to having an animal on board-for God’s sake leave them at home-don’t kill your pet too-please limit the death just to yours and whoever else is with you. Seriously.

As to planes landing on ice, the typical private plane such as a Cessna Cardinal or Skyhawk might weight half that of a truck, and the weight is dispersed due to skis and their overall lightness, and the wings would stop you from going through anything other than an open water hole-not a good situation by any means but if I had a choice, planes win every time;

I understand really well why people want to take any vehicle on to ice. Doesn’t make it a good idea.

What I don’t understand is why Insurers typically pay for these events, considering there are usually ‘off-road” clauses excluding coverage in the an Auto Insurance policy meaning taking the vehicle say, on a logging road for a workout isn’t covered. You can’t get anymore off-road than taking a ride on ice. What Insurers should do is Rider out this coverage-buy a Rider/Option to cover “ice-related” events and don’t send the bill to the rest of us who own coverage, don’t ever drive on ice, but have to share in the cost your ice-driving risk as the insured public does now. And if you don’t have the Rider and drive on ice (you know many will do this-that’s just a fact) then you pay for the whole event from your own pocket. Assuming you’re not dead of course and your family gets the bill.

Think people, think. Is it worth it? Many will say flatly-yes.
Geez a little morbid but we get the point.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #18
patman

Right in front of the launch? I wonder how much road salt gets tracked through there...
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #19
tis

Those details sure are scary. I have never liked going on the ice. Part of the reason could be because my great grandfather died when he went through the ice. But I have always been afraid and you would NOT get me out there in a car.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
SIKSUKR

Default Rule # 1

One should never wear a seatbelt when driving on a frozen lake.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
One should never wear a seatbelt when driving on a frozen lake.
Yeah, it would be like wearing a seatbelt in a boat…..
Old 02-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #22
RailroadJoe

Seatbelts in a boat? Don't give them any ideas like that. Keep it quiet.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #23
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default One too many.

I have seen too many trucks and SUV through the ice lately. Many of them are new owners tooting their horns about how great their new ride is. I have the last laugh when they have to be towed out.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
Diver Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Geez a little morbid but we get the point.
Not really. And assuming the eardrum ruptures (which is a likely event), once the ice water gets into the inner ear, extreme vertigo results and the person isn't even going to know which way is up or down in the ice cold dark water.

By the way, did they get a bill from the authorities/municipality who spent several hours trying to retrieve the truck?
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
Merrymeeting

Sadly, a real world example of the perils listed in Diver1111's post,

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...5-NEWS-8150329
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Just Sold (02-21-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
MikeF-NH

I worked for Fosters Daily Democrat as a circulation manager at the time this event occurred and Sarah and Rolly were two of my youth carriers so I was pretty close to this story.

It has never occurred to me to EVER take a vehicle on the ice since this happened and every time someone asks me about taking a vehicle on the ice, I relate that story. A horrible thing for a parent to watch their child disappear into the icy darkness due to a choice to bring a vehicle on the ice.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
BroadHopper

Default Sad story

The Laconia Citizen should rerun this story every winter as a reminder of the consequences of drinving on ice.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #28
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The Laconia Citizen should rerun this story every winter as a reminder of the consequences of drinving on ice.
If you were the driver of a truck that went thru the ice and a love one either died or was brain damaged, would you want to pick up the the newspaper every year at this time and read that you made an unfortunate decision to drive on ice.

The poor guy that drove the truck that his daughter rec'd brain damage got a divorce from his wife sometime after the tragedy and passed away recently at 56 years old. I'm sure his early death had something to do with what happened that day on the ice. His life was probably never the same after knowing that his child will have to have 24/7 care because of brain damage.

The only reason that it was in the newspaper again is because the mother of the brain injured child is community organizer for the Brain Injury Association of New Hampshire.

We all make stupid decisions during our time on earth and with any luck no one gets hurt or dies because of them.
VitaBene (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #29
trfour

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

I think more people would benefit from posting it right here, as people are more likely to read it here wanting to come up and visit the area. Although, both places Is A Plus!

Terry
________________________________-

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #30
Irish Choppers

Default Truck through the Ice

Our place is at Meredith Moorings on Pleasant Street which looks directly over the Bay. I got into town around 9:00 PM Friday night and just before 11:00 we're watching a truck drive onto the ice and towards a series of Bob houses. Having been a police officer for 28 years I just shook my head and said it's just a matter of time before something awful happens. Sure enough, get up in the morning, put on the news and theirs a pickup truck sitting in the water. Scary part is some brave firefighter, police officer, or good citizen, is going to get killed trying to save one of these fools.
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #31
Senter Cove Guy

Default Truck Through The Ice In Melvin Bay

Here's an 11 minute video of the recovery of a truck by Dive Winnipesaukee. The truck went through the ice in early February 2013. It went through the ice very near to where the car that I found in 2004 went down in Feb. 1937.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hpvxpBC7KY

Last edited by Senter Cove Guy; 02-25-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Senter Cove Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Senter Cove Guy For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (02-25-2013), Cobalt (02-25-2013), DRH (02-25-2013), Grant (02-25-2013), IslandRadio (02-25-2013), Just Sold (02-25-2013), Pontoon Goon (02-25-2013), trfour (02-25-2013), Winni-Retired (02-25-2013), Winnisquamguy (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #32
HellRaZoR004

It amazes me how many people stand right next to the winch chain. If that snaps you're going to be in a world of hurt.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #33
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
It amazes me how many people stand right next to the winch chain. If that snaps you're going to be in a world of hurt.
I had the same opinion. Very dangerous if that snaps or lets go.

I would not want OSHA to see this video.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #34
BroadHopper

Default Winch chains

I have seen enough people getting hurt standing in front of the winch at the boat ramps. You figure people will have a little common sense.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #35
Merrymeeting

I can't believe the comment on the video at about 1:46. "Don't flip my truck!" I assume the videographer is the owner and guilty party who put it there to begin with. Does he really think the truck is going to be hurt any more than it already is?!!!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (02-25-2013)