Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
Sammy

Default Rentals

I have a 4 bedroom house with all the amenities right on the lake. I need to rent it out for a few weeks this summer to pay the taxes. My real estate agency up to this point has not found anyone interested. Should I be worried? (I am) Should I be looking at another agency? Please let me know what your experiences have been regarding rentals.
Sammy
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
GusMan

Default Summer rentals....

If I were really dependent on that rental income, then yes... I would be somewhat concerned. When I used to rent similar size houses for prime summer weeks, I'd be looking to book much earlier than right now.

Unless you have some exclusive agreement with your current agent, it never hurts to talk to more than one real estate agent.

Cheers....

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:48 AM   #3
Boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
My real estate agency up to this point has not found anyone interested.
Either the price is too high or you have a lousy real estate agent.

If it were me I'd:

1. Lower the price.
2. Place an ad on the classifieds here and the Boston Globe classifieds right away (they work!).
3. Talk to the agencies dedicated to rentals like Strictly Rentals or Preferred Properties Vacation Rentals. They'll know if you are priced right.

Just my $.02
Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:58 AM   #4
ApS

Quote:
Should I be looking at another agency? Please let me know what your experiences have been regarding rentals.
Sammy
Even if you signed "an exclusive" with the agency, it doesn't mean you can't fill the vacancies with renters -- or friends -- that "turn up" from elsewhere. (Or yourselves, for that matter).

Your agency hasn't ever called to ask, "Are these dates available"?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:41 AM   #5
Lexxi

Cool Summer Rentals

We have found that the real estate agencies charge way too much. Plus you can't get into the rental property until like 5:00 pm, by then the day is gone. Did you try advertising in the Winnipesaukee classisfieds? Try posting a sign outside or in local stores put up the advertisement. We have never gone through an agency and have been renting up there for 20 years, and never been disappointed. Just think, with all that money we could of owned our own property by now.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:11 AM   #6
jkjoshuatree

Default Hey Sammy!

Quote:
I have a 4 bedroom house with all the amenities right on the lake. I need to rent it out for a few weeks this summer to pay the taxes. My real estate agency up to this point has not found anyone interested. Should I be worried? (I am) Should I be looking at another agency? Please let me know what your experiences have been regarding rentals.
Sammy

Email me some info (pics would be great) about the house. I'm looking to rent this summer. Our family is getting to big to fit at our place on Bear Island and my girlfriend and I (with her 3 kids) are looking for our own place for a week.

Lbnjbut@msn.com

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:33 AM   #7
SPANKY

Talking

i agree with boater, i have rented from the classifieds here on this site and they work great. i am also interested in some more info or even possibly some pictures of your place. send me a pm when you get a chance, thanks, spanky
SPANKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
cjay

We've always had positive results with Preferred Vacation Rentals Inc. (used to be Preferred Properties)
They advertise all over the place, have linens available, and have gone as far as purchase a new fridge (at a very good price) when our's broke down. When we return in the fall our place is as clean as we leave it.

If this is your first time to rent, you might want go a little lower than the agency suggests, and if you make your place inviting to your guests, they will want to return next year.

Good luck, Chris
cjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:44 PM   #9
On Barndoor

I would recommend putting an ad with some photos on Cyberrentals. We had great luck, with renters coming from Florida to California, and great interest in the September/October "offseason".
On Barndoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #10
T.H.E. Binz

Default Another Rental Agency Suggestion

I have had a very good four-years letting Century 21 of Center Habor rent my Meredith lakefront property in July and August (strictly for the purpose of paying for the real estate taxes). They screen potential renters and take care of any problems that occur which is a relief given that I am 400 miles away!
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote