Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-19-2005, 01:40 PM   #1

Default Jet Dock Vs. Traditional PWC lift

I'm in the market and starting to do my research on a lift system for my PWC. I have done the internet search, etc. and have come across the Jet Dock system. I have not seen too many on the lake and was wondering if anyone had any experience/wisdom that they could give on the pros and cons of the two systems. Also, if you could suggest which company in the lakes region has the best deals on the equipment, that would help as well.

FYI, I have a Seadoo GTX 3 seater, probably ~ 850 - 1000#

Thanks for the help

newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:40 AM   #2
SPANKY

hey newbie, i am not too familiar with the docking system, but one thing to consider is that as you ride up onto the floats the intake grate will be out of the water. this may be harmless for the short time it takes to completely ride up on it, but i imagine you would have to throttle it up a bit to ride up.
SPANKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:42 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

One thing I've always wnodered about with the Jetdock system is if the constant on/off marks up or even wears down the gelcoat of the bottom of your PWC.I don't have any experience with these so I don't know.Also,if you are in a area that is very rough from boat waves,the whole set-up will take a pretty good thrashing.The other consideration is,do you have a place to put a lift?I know that sounds obvious,but water levels change during the year and you might need to change the location (move the lift out)if the water is down a lot.I personally like lifts,which get your PWC totally out of the water.If you dont have shorefront for a cradle lift,there are lifts that attach to docks or are anchored into the ground that in effect do the same job.Overtons has them in their catalogue. SS
Old 04-20-2005, 08:04 AM   #4
jimbob1603

Default Jetdock vs. Candock

I own a Candock (www.candock.com).

First, I must say that I am selling it, but only because I am unable to jetski anymore due to back problems.

I did a lot of research before making my purchase. I chose Candock over Jetdock for three reasons:

a) Its less expensive; although both are big bucks considering they are just a pile of plastic.
b) It has 'tubs' for the jetski to sit in.
c) The pins holding the cubes together are threaded and have a nut; rather than a detent.

I'll admit, it took some getting use to driving the jetskiis onto it. Its much more difficult than it appears ... the problem is getting the machine manuvered into position before you 'gun it' onto the dock. Getting back into the water is easy.

Both brands are very heavy & well built. It has no moving parts to wear out, and is completely maintenance-free ..... a big plus. They float and therefore accomodate changes in lake level. You can leave them in the water over the winter, too.

These things are very customizable. Mine is a double unit with an extra row of cubes between the tubs. If mine doesn't sell, I'll remove the tubs and reconfigure it as a swim raft.

I have a lot of severe wave action and the candock gets tossed quite a bit. Not a problem, it just rides them out. Have not had any problems with wearing/marking gelcoat. My Kawasaki Ultra 150s are completely out of the water when docked.

Keep in mind that the dock needs to back up to a dock, sea wall, trees, etc. to keep it from 'floating away' as you drive your jetski onto it. In this sense, its not completely free standing as you might imagine.

I think (???) Brewester Academy (Wolfeboro) has a Jetdock. You are welcome to contact me at jimbob1603@hotmail.com if you want to make arrangements to see my candock.

Last edited by jimbob1603; 04-20-2005 at 01:21 PM.
jimbob1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:54 PM   #5
codeman671

I have been curious as well on this and have started doing research. As far as free standing lifts I like the system made by Docking Systems in Northwood, NH. It is distributed here on the seacoast at Rochester Sports Center. I looked at one today, it was a solid, well made setup. They can be purchased in either left or right hand cranks and can be clamped together to make one unit for 2 machines with individual cranks as opposed to some units which raise and lower both on one crank. It is a lot easier to handle than some of the ones that are made as a solid unit, especially if you are taking it out to an island which I am. They are approximately $895 per unit. I am contemplating the jet dock but am concerned with boat traffic/wake.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2005, 09:38 PM   #6
Mee-n-Mac

Unhappy Remember to get the permit

I thought I recalled that even "jet docks" and PWC lifts req'd a permit and found these 2 threads that you might find interesting.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...highlight=lift

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...highlight=lift
Old 04-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
codeman671

Default permits needed

Definitely true, permit by notification form must be completed. Also it is not acceptable to tie a jet dock to an existing mooring as moorings are not supposed to be used for PWC anyhow. In the new mooring applications PWC cannot be listed as acceptable boats for the mooring application process when trying to prove the need for the mooring that you are requesting.

The link to the PBN app is as follows:

http://www.des.state.nh.us/wetlands/pbn/index.html
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote