Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #1
AC2717

Default 20HP Envinrude with OMC Controls Issue/Question

Hi Guys,
i have a very healthy 87 Evinrude 20HP 2stroke with OMC controls on the back of my little putt-putt/fisher. It runs smooth so this is more of a throttle control issue.

Putting the boat in gear it goes in just fine forward and reverse as soon as the shifter clicks forward or reverse. The issue is when I go to accelerate the throttle is only responsive at like 3/4ths the way forward and the same backward, and at 3/4th the way i get a small increase in power, and then the rest of the way it appears to be wide open. At the same time there is some play in the handle back and forth until rpms kick in at the 3/4th point.

I am guessing i need a cable adjustment or maybe even a new cable. - i do believe there is almost no adjustment left on the throttle and honestly i can repair many things, but I do not want to play with the throttle, rather have someone do it, hey maybe I can pay a forum member to take a look - beer sound good??? lol just kidding, i can pay the greenbacks

I have operated it this way for about 3 years now as it hadn't really bothered me, but I wanted to start to venture out further with it and my daughter has started to operate it more.

Thoughts on this? or need a better description let me know.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
The Real BigGuy

Sounds like a stretched throttle cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
AC2717

thank you for the insight, so need to replace then?
Old 06-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #4
The Real BigGuy

I’d consider it. (Caveat: I am not a mechanic. I only play one on Winnipesaukee.com)

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:16 PM   #5
8gv

How long has it behaved like this?

If the motor is new to you and you do not have a history of it’s “normal” behavior, you could be seeing something that is not an issue.

In my experience moving the throttle forward in neutral allows the motor to rev quite fast once the half throttle point is passed.

The reason is that there is no load on a two stroke motor.

If it behaved differently in the past then nevermind...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
Dad sold the C * C

It could be the cable, or it could be whatever the cable moves in the motor. I'll see if I can find anything in my OEM book but I think it's at the lake, I'll be up tomorrow.

Same as the other thread I recommend giving Joel a call at Runner Outboards.
http://runneroutboards.com
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
How long has it behaved like this?

If the motor is new to you and you do not have a history of it’s “normal” behavior, you could be seeing something that is not an issue.

In my experience moving the throttle forward in neutral allows the motor to rev quite fast once the half throttle point is passed.

The reason is that there is no load on a two stroke motor.

If it behaved differently in the past then nevermind...
actually been like this for the past 2 seasons, I am noticing it getting a touch worse, and I know the throttle adjustment thumb screw on the cable is as tight as it can go.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #8
Top-Water

You might be playing with fire if you do not have keen understanding of how the throttle / carburetors and ignition timing are synchronized on an older outboard 2 cycle engine.

I would not recommend playing with or adjusting anything you don't completely understand, it's not a matter of just getting the throttle to open up more because of something like a stretched cable which I doubt has happened.

A great deal of the horsepower on a outboard motor comes from proper ignition timing in relationship to throttle position vs engine rpm.

Without a transmission like a car or motorcycle, ignition timing is used to help the outboard engine make power at different throttle positions.

You might even get the engine to run "awesomely" for awhile (like it has never ran before) with just some guesswork adjustments but are actually just destroying the engine with out even knowing it.

Be careful playing with it, very special tools are needed to get it back to factory settings to insure the engine has a long lifespan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad sold the C * C View Post
It could be the cable, or it could be whatever the cable moves in the motor.
Often on mercury outboards of this size/generation and age of engine it also moves the trigger mechanism under the flywheel. Admittedly I do not know how OMC does it.

Good advice as mentioned above, an OMC expert.
http://runneroutboards.com
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (06-18-2018)