Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
gillygirl

Default Lakeview Tavern in Meredith

Went to Lakeview Tavern in Meredith for an early dinner with my sister and her husband. Within 5 minutes of sitting at a table, a d-head at the bar had turned all the way around and was waggling his tongue at me. Defaulting to my raising, I moved my seat at the table, and also mentioned it to our waitress, rather than heading over to him and making a scene (he did stop after I mentioned it to our server). When we left, his buddy, who was outside having a smoke, asked my bil if he could get 2 women if he shaved his head (which is what my bil does). I just shouted, 'Me too, buddy, me too.' In the future, I'm taking pictures and posting it on all social media I participate in.

This is too bad, because I won't be returning to the Lakeview Tavern, even though their food and service was fine today, and fine in the past.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Hillcountry

They sound like a couple of classless, idiots.
You did the right thing but in my opinion the manager should have tossed their butts for their behavior...
If someone were treating my wife or any person with me that way, it might not have ended well for them.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
Poor Richard

If you're pleased with the quality and service of the establishment, perhaps allow the manager or owner to hear of your experience rather than writing the restaurant off completely.

This thread will not fix the issue.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #4
Doobs41378

I’ll assume those idiots had zero idea what #metoo meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Doobs41378 For This Useful Post:
SimpleTL (06-25-2020)
Old 07-10-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
If you're pleased with the quality and service of the establishment, perhaps allow the manager or owner to hear of your experience rather than writing the restaurant off completely.

This thread will not fix the issue.
gillygirl did plenty by mentioning it to the server who obviously took some action. But the server and manager did not do enough. The restaurant should have an SOP for what to do about obnoxious and/or drunk people, and as Hillcountry noted, that procedure should be to throw the bums out, perhaps with police assistance to assure that she is not accosted after leaving.

There are many good threads that do not fix issues, but simply report on them so that others can make decisions for themselves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (07-10-2018), kawishiwi (07-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
Poor Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
gillygirl did plenty by mentioning it to the server who obviously took some action. But the server and manager did not do enough. The restaurant should have an SOP for what to do about obnoxious and/or drunk people, and as Hillcountry noted, that procedure should be to throw the bums out, perhaps with police assistance to assure that she is not accosted after leaving.

There are many good threads that do not fix issues, but simply report on them so that others can make decisions for themselves.
Are you certain the manager is even aware of this incident? The server definitely was but how can you say the manager should have done more? The manager's level of awareness would be an assumption on your part because it is in no way mentioned in the first post.

All I'm saying is OP should have a talk with a manager or owner directly. Perhaps there isn't an SOP in place and this information cannot otherwise be disseminated thru this thread. Gotta give the leadership team a chance.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:17 AM   #7
jeffk

I think how to deal with such people is a tough and complicated subject. A restaurant is a public place. Anyone can come in, even jerks. This might have been the first problem they have had in years. Do you confront obnoxious people? Many can become even worse. Think about road rage. Yes, you can call the police. Maybe they will get there in 10 minutes. How much ability to manage difficult people does the average wait person, some who are high school kids, have? If the problem rarely happens, how ready is the staff to handle it? A bartender in some nighttime taverns knows he might have a problem with the occasional rowdy person and is more prepared. A server in a daytime restaurant, maybe not so much. The second guy was hanging around outside, mostly beyond the purview of the staff. Do they need a security guard to patrol the grounds to deal with a possible repeat incident that may happen only rarely? The staff actions inside DID seem to manage the problem. Do you kick the jerk out for talking if he stops talking?

To be crystal clear, the actions of the jerks were bad and needed to be addressed. I just think it's a very hard problem for a public place to solve.

I hope the restaurant people are fully aware of what happened and that they talk over their options for dealing with it in the future. It's too bad it tainted gillygirl's dinner and it is understandable not to want to go back to a place where you had an unwanted and uncomfortable confrontation.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:29 AM   #8
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I've been there twice since it opened and haven't been back. Neither experience was good, the food, the wait staff, and the customers they attracted were not to my liking. I'd much rather go to Frog Rock just up the street. I'm really surprised it's lasted this long.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:04 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I've been there twice since it opened and haven't been back. Neither experience was good, the food, the wait staff, and the customers they attracted were not to my liking. I'd much rather go to Frog Rock just up the street. I'm really surprised it's lasted this long.
I've only been to Frog Rock a couple times, but the tone there would definitely seem to preclude this behavior.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 07:08 AM   #10
garysanfran

Default How about being a politico eating at a restaurant...

And happens to be Republican and some entitled moron starts yelling at you for your political position and you are forced to vacate your meal and leave?

What should management do in these instances? And I've wondered if the attacked diner, who has to flee, pays for the half-eaten meal? I wouldn't.

We have become a society that is offensive, easily offended, obnoxious, impolite, entitled, angry, infantile...Sorry, I'm realizing there are too many adjectives to list here that would apply today...Sad!

I would rather have dinner with someone I could have a polite, intellectual discussion on a subject we disagree on, than someone who says "Yes" and "I agree" to everything I say. I enjoy polite intellectual discourse.

Are we on the verge of a civil (uncivil) war? It is becoming very close to violence out there.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:17 AM   #11
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

This thread is going off the rails fairly quickly!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-11-2018), garysanfran (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #12
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I've only been to Frog Rock a couple times, but the tone there would definitely seem to preclude this behavior.

The difference at Frog Rock is the owner is always there behind the bar to settle down any unruly customer. Frog Rock's been around a long time so most of the customers are regulars.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
garysanfran

Default Had to do with what....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
This thread is going off the rails fairly quickly!

Should management's responsibility be when an "incident" happens!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:45 AM   #14
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Should management's responsibility be when an "incident" happens!
My point is you brought politics into the thread when it was not necessary. Management should simply, politely and calmly ask the person that is acting inappropriately to kindly refrain from that type of behavior then if it persists kindly ask them to please leave.
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #15
garysanfran

Default A bit of a caffeine rant, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
My point is you brought politics into the thread when it was not necessary. Management should simply, politely and calmly ask the person that is acting inappropriately to kindly refrain from that type of behavior then if it persists kindly ask them to please leave.
It was pertinent to my point.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:00 AM   #16
joey2665

Quote:
It was pertinent to my point.
I'm sorry I disagree. I do not think it was necessary especially in the particular incident that this thread was originated for and you could have used other examples to express your point
Old 07-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #17
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Manager should be informed and involved

In my humble opinion, the server should have involved the manager or owner immediately so that he / she could nip the problem in the bud, and make sure the offending customer was not overserved (a real possibility).

Gillygirl, sorry for the hassle.

Dave
Old 07-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I agree, it makes one wonder what is going on in this country!!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #19
Garcia

Quote:
And happens to be Republican and some entitled moron starts yelling at you for your political position and you are forced to vacate your meal and leave?

What should management do in these instances? And I've wondered if the attacked diner, who has to flee, pays for the half-eaten meal? I wouldn't.

We have become a society that is offensive, easily offended, obnoxious, impolite, entitled, angry, infantile...Sorry, I'm realizing there are too many adjectives to list here that would apply today...Sad!

I would rather have dinner with someone I could have a polite, intellectual discussion on a subject we disagree on, than someone who says "Yes" and "I agree" to everything I say. I enjoy polite intellectual discourse.

Are we on the verge of a civil (uncivil) war? It is becoming very close to violence out there.
Separate issues which I will briefly give my two cents on. First, if a customer is harassed, it is the responsibility of the owner/manager to address the issue. If harassing behavior continues and calling police is in order, do it. Or, show your distaste with your wallet and go elsewhere. What was described in the original post is unacceptable.

As to the political issue referenced, the biggest issue I have is the hypocrisy I see. If it is OK to refuse to bake a cake for someone based on their sexual identity, and you actively and vocally support that policy, than you can expect people not to serve you based on your political viewpoint. Personally, I think all businesses should serve all paying customers and treat them with kindness and respect regardless of anything else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Barney Bear (07-11-2018), TheRoBoat (07-11-2018), thinkxingu (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #20
Major

Default Just to clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Separate issues which I will briefly give my two cents on. First, if a customer is harassed, it is the responsibility of the owner/manager to address the issue. If harassing behavior continues and calling police is in order, do it. Or, show your distaste with your wallet and go elsewhere. What was described in the original post is unacceptable.

As to the political issue referenced, the biggest issue I have is the hypocrisy I see. If it is OK to refuse to bake a cake for someone based on their sexual identity, and you actively and vocally support that policy, than you can expect people not to serve you based on your political viewpoint. Personally, I think all businesses should serve all paying customers and treat them with kindness and respect regardless of anything else.
There is no hypocrisy. The baker you referenced was exercising his religious freedom under the Constitution. Article 1 reads that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Accordingly, the government cannot force someone to do something that is against his or her religion. The Supreme Court agreed.

That being said, for instances when a customer is accosted in a restaurant, it is up to the restaurant owner to protect the customer, unless the behavior is criminal. Whether the customer is accosted by political enemies or a misogynous creep, the owner, I would think, has a duty to protect the customer, if the owner values the customer. If the owner does not decide to protect the customer, as in the Sarah Sanders/Red Hen incident, then we as customers can decide whether to patronize the establishment and encourage others to do the same.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #21
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
There is no hypocrisy. The baker you referenced was exercising his religious freedom under the Constitution. Article 1 reads that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Accordingly, the government cannot force someone to do something that is against his or her religion. The Supreme Court agreed.

That being said, for instances when a customer is accosted in a restaurant, it is up to the restaurant owner to protect the customer, unless the behavior is criminal. Whether the customer is accosted by political enemies or a misogynous creep, the owner, I would think, has a duty to protect the customer, if the owner values the customer. If the owner does not decide to protect the customer, as in the Sarah Sanders/Red Hen incident, then we as customers can decide whether to patronize the establishment and encourage others to do the same.
I respectfully disagree and will say that my understanding of the Supreme Court decision was very narrow and does not give blanket permission to refuse to serve someone based on religious beliefs. Instead, it found that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission was hostile toward the baker based on his religious beliefs. Both business owners respectfully declined to serve someone, and in my opinion, both were wrong. I have not heard that either owner was hostile toward the customer - protestors after the fact certainly were. I do agree with an earlier poster who said civility is declining. But, this remains simply my opinion on a forum that focuses on one of the greatest places I know.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #22
Major

Default Supreme Court

The Supreme Court does not take cases like these to craft narrow decisions. They take these types of cases to make a statement. Think Roe v. Wade. The baker offered to make the couple a cake without referencing marriage. The owner of the Red Hen followed Sarah Sander's family to another restaurant shouting at them the whole way.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #23
Garcia

By narrow decision I simply meant that the Supreme Court left undecided whether a business owner’s religious or free speech rights can justify denying service. Justice Kennedy's decision focused on the religious bias of the Colorado Civil Rights Comission. It was a victory for the baker, but does not set precedent for other business owners to deny service based solely on religious beliefs. As to either of the business owners here, the baker or the restaraunt owner, chasing down and berating the customer, again, I have not heard or read about that. Protestors after the fact, yes, but not the owners. Perhaps I am wrong.

I believe that all people, black, white, gay, straight, liberal, conservative, etc. should be welcome everywhere. If, however, anyone acts inappropriately, he or she should be held accountable.

Last edited by Garcia; 07-11-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #24
The Real BigGuy

Garcia you are correct, it was not the owner but protestors. I wish people would deal in the facts, not what they heard on the latest conservative/liberal talk show. You are also correct re: the SC decision. If you doubt him Major just read the record.

I agree there is a growing lack of civility in our society. I can’t understand when it became appropriate to taunt/shout down/harass/assault someone because of their beliefs or exercising their right to free speech. What happened to informed discussion? I hate to say it because I know it will open a can of worms but, the guy who lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave isn’t doing anything to bring civility back.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-11-2018), noreast (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #25
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Garcia you are correct, it was not the owner but protestors. I wish people would deal in the facts, not what they heard on the latest conservative/liberal talk show. You are also correct re: the SC decision. If you doubt him Major just read the record.

I agree there is a growing lack of civility in our society. I can’t understand when it became appropriate to taunt/shout down/harass/assault someone because of their beliefs or exercising their right to free speech. What happened to informed discussion? I hate to say it because I know it will open a can of worms but, the guy who lives at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave isn’t doing anything to bring civility back.

Exactly, follow thy leader.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #26
Major

Default Check your facts

Quote:

Sorry, read the Washington Times article about the Red Hen's owner behavior. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...sanders-famil/

Also, I read the Decision, not some Wikipedia or NY Times summation of it. It's implications are larger than a "narrow" decision. Have you read it?

I think we agree that someone should be able to enjoy a night out without being accosted by political enemies. However, I do not think our President should do anything to bring civility "back" to politics, as if it ever existed in the first place. He has been derided since he took office. (Remember the women's march on January 21, 2017.) I love the fact he fights back and believes in what he's doing. Let's put it this way, conservatives felt the same way about the individual who occupied the White House prior to Trump, it's just that conservatives don't have time for senseless protests and foolishness.

Anyway, it will all be moot once Kavanaugh is appointed. I'm rooting for another appointment during Trump's term!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
bostique (07-31-2018), Seaplane Pilot (07-11-2018), TiltonBB (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #27
Hillcountry

Quote:

Wow. You think Trump is the cause of lack of civility in the USA?
You’d better take a look at mad Maxine and her “crew” of obstructionist, violence insighting, Democrats before you blame our great president for their incivility! Wow.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
bostique (07-31-2018), Major (07-11-2018), Shrimpbrain (07-11-2018), TiltonBB (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #28
Overlake97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
The owner of the Red Hen followed Sarah Sander's family to another restaurant shouting at them the whole way.
I had never heard this "followed...Sander's family" part of the Red Hen incident, so I Googled it. Every one of the news organizations that carried this part of the story, at least on the first Google results page, seemed to be politically "right of center." So...I went to Snopes, and here's what they had to say about it: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hu...d-hen-protest/
Old 07-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #29
Major

Default As the Big O would say . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
I had never heard this "followed...Sander's family" part of the Red Hen incident, so I Googled it. Every one of the news organizations that carried this part of the story, at least on the first Google results page, seemed to be politically "right of center." So...I went to Snopes, and here's what they had to say about it: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hu...d-hen-protest/
. . . you're making my point. What's true -- "After Stephanie Wilkinson asked Sarah Huckabee Sanders to leave her restaurant, a second encounter between Wilkinson and the Sanders family took place at another restaurant when a member of the public briefly held up a sign outside the other restaurant." What do you think Wilkinson and her followers were doing, silently holding signs? No, they followed Sander's family to another restaurant screaming at her.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #30
Garcia

Again, I have to disagree. Mike Huckabee’s statement on the Laura Ingram show about the owner following and berating his daughter has been looked into and found to be not credible. The protestors in both incidents, however, were completely out of line.

Political views notwithstanding, a forceful, take charge leader is fine. One who demeans, belittles, and comes up with juvenile nicknames doesn’t set an example that works for me. I expect more from my employees, my children, and everyone I come into contact with. I would love to see our President lead with civility.

As to the SC nominee, again I go back to hypocrisy. It is wrong for the Democratic leadership to announce opposition before there is even a hearing scheduled, just like it was wrong for the Republican leadership to prevent a hearing after Scalia died.

The whole conversation reminds me of the earlier thread about Right of Way. Do we want to prove a point by shouts and threats, or do we want to listen to each other, learn, and make informed decisions - which we will not all agree with. No one is shouting and threatening here, but I lament the overall loss of civility and constructive dialogue where we look for similarities rather than differences.

Not having met any of the posters on this forum, but having spent a lot of time on the water, I will end by saying I feel the majority of people on the forum, just like the majority on the water, are good people!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #31
Overlake97

Major, you are correct; Snopes did say that, right at the start. But if you read further down in the "analysis" you'll find the following (among other possibilities of what might have happened):

"At some point in the evening members of the group encountered Wilkinson outside on the street, but it’s not clear whether Wilkinson followed them there or simply happened to be passing by. (We sent Wilkinson a series of questions relating to the events of that evening but did not receive a response.)

The Southern Inn is not across the street from the Red Hen, although it is a few hundred feet away on Main Street (Lexington’s primary thoroughfare), meaning that Wilkinson could have incidentally bumped into the Sanders family on her way to somewhere else."

In any case, it seems unlikely there was an organized protest led by the owner of the Red Hen.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #32
The Real BigGuy

I didn’t say that. I said he isn’t doing anything to bring it back. A leader leads. If he acted more civil it would help move the ball back to the center.

Yes I did read the full decision. You need to read the words and take them as written. You can’t read into them what you would like them to say. It was a narrowly focused decision. And by the way, the court publishes narrowly focused decisions quite frequently.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:10 PM   #33
Major

Default Coincidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
Major, you are correct; Snopes did say that, right at the start. But if you read further down in the "analysis" you'll find the following (among other possibilities of what might have happened):

"At some point in the evening members of the group encountered Wilkinson outside on the street, but it’s not clear whether Wilkinson followed them there or simply happened to be passing by. (We sent Wilkinson a series of questions relating to the events of that evening but did not receive a response.)

The Southern Inn is not across the street from the Red Hen, although it is a few hundred feet away on Main Street (Lexington’s primary thoroughfare), meaning that Wilkinson could have incidentally bumped into the Sanders family on her way to somewhere else."

In any case, it seems unlikely there was an organized protest led by the owner of the Red Hen.
She just happened to be walking by while others were shouting. What a coincidence!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #34
The Real BigGuy

Wilkinson did not organize a picket or protest against Sanders's family, nor did she personally picket or protest them. Apart from one person's briefly holding up a sign, no protest or picket against the family of Sarah Huckabee Sanders took place.

Doesn’t sound like “screaming at her to me. You publishing “fake news?”

Old 07-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #35
Shrimpbrain

Quote:

I hate to say it because I know it will open a can of worms but... Look back at the resident of 1600 between 2008 and 2016. Hence the Problem.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shrimpbrain For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-18-2018), bostique (07-31-2018), Major (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #36
Biggd

Now this thread has really gone off the rails!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (07-11-2018), mhtranger (07-12-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #37
baygo

Default Only in the movies, sitcoms, and late night.

Behavior in our society is more likely influenced by Hollywood then by Washington..
Old 07-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #38
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Behavior in our society is more likely influenced by Hollywood then by Washington..
I don’t think that anyone in our society that matters is influenced by any of the hollywood crowd... maybe perhaps, pre-teens?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #39
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I don’t think that anyone in our society that matters is influenced by any of the hollywood crowd... maybe perhaps, pre-teens?
I was paraphrasing when using the word "Hollywood". Entertainment in general is very influential. It would not surprise me if the guy at the bar who inspired this thread saw one of the movies listed on this web page.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/discussi...xjmvfic46902z5
Old 07-12-2018, 04:51 AM   #40
thinkxingu

Quote:
I was paraphrasing when using the word "Hollywood". Entertainment in general is very influential. It would not surprise me if the guy at the bar who inspired this thread saw one of the movies listed on this web page.

Dude, the waggly tongue has been around forever. To suggest it's Hollywood or the entertainment industry, rather than his great uncle with the 70's porn stash, is absurd.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:37 AM   #41
Rusty

Quote:

What writing and by who did you paraphrase from?

"Paraphrasing" is taking a set of facts or opinions and rewording them. When paraphrasing, it is important to keep the original meaning and to present it in a new form. Basically, you are simply writing something in your own words that expresses the original idea.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #42
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Dude, the waggly tongue has been around forever. To suggest it's Hollywood or the entertainment industry, rather than his great uncle with the 70's porn stash, is absurd.

Yes its absurd to think that Hollywood or the entertainment industry could influence people away from civility. What movie introduced the word "dude" to replace sir?
Old 07-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #43
Major

Default Spicoli

Quote:
Yes its absurd to think that Hollywood or the entertainment industry could influence people away from civility. What movie introduced the word "dude" to replace sir?
I know the answer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf5rIuJPTt0
Old 07-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #44
thinkxingu

Quote:
Not sure what world you live in, but I've yet to hear "dude" replace "sir," and I work with the demographic that would do it: high schoolers! (And, for the record, in my fifteen years of teaching, I've never had a "Spicoli.")

Old 07-20-2018, 04:45 AM   #45
ApS

Exclamation Incivility — "Word for the Day"...

Quote:
Behavior in our society is more likely influenced by Hollywood then by Washington...
View the last quote on this post.

Quote:
By narrow decision I simply meant that the Supreme Court left undecided whether a business owner’s religious or free speech rights can justify denying service. Justice Kennedy's decision focused on the religious bias of the Colorado Civil Rights Commission. It was a victory for the baker, but does not set precedent for other business owners to deny service based solely on religious beliefs. As to either of the business owners here, the baker or the restaurant owner, chasing down and berating the customer, again, I have not heard or read about that. Protestors after the fact, yes, but not the owners. Perhaps I am wrong. I believe that all people, black, white, gay, straight, liberal, conservative, etc. should be welcome everywhere. If, however, anyone acts inappropriately, he or she should be held accountable.
It was the "Resistance" waitstaff (an "entitled" vocal minority) that called the Red Hen owner at home; unfortunately, she sided with the waitstaff!

Washington Post rightfully raises the legal issue of "discrimination due to sexual orientation".

(Which should work both ways).

Quote:
I respectfully disagree and will say that my understanding of the Supreme Court decision was very narrow and does not give blanket permission to refuse to serve someone based on religious beliefs. Instead, it found that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission was hostile toward the baker based on his religious beliefs. Both business owners respectfully declined to serve someone, and in my opinion, both were wrong. I have not heard that either owner was hostile toward the customer - protestors after the fact certainly were.

I do agree with an earlier poster who said civility is declining. But, this remains simply my opinion on a forum that focuses on one of the greatest places I know.
and...

Quote:
Ready to put a Hollywood name to that?

(Language Warning in Boston link below—not a video).

https://tinyurl.com/yb42nyll

Old 07-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #46
Poor Richard

Quote:
What movie introduced the word "dude" to replace sir?