Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts
Default Eastern Painted Turtles in Wolfeboro

Plenty of them out and about already. I spotted these today in Wolfeboro at Abenaki Pond.

Grant (04-16-2012), Greene's Basin Girl (04-14-2012), KPW (04-14-2012), Lakesrider (04-15-2012), SteveA (04-22-2012), trfour (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Abenaki pond??? Do you mean the swamp in front of the skate and ski area?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
kchadw

Default turtles

Are these the same as " red eared slider " turtles...? I remember these turtles when I was a kid in New England...we called em, " sun turtles "...

Have a pet "red eared slider here in Fla. ( yep, a pet ) found him about five or more years ago crawling across my driveway..He ( I think ) was about the size of a quarter...grabbed him up before the birds made a meal of him...and have had him in a fish tank ever since..He's about the size of an open fist from a large hand now...Goes everywhere with us...more miles on him than any turtle I know of...been from Key West to Northern N.H. many times in our motor home with our two dogs..

He's part of the family....gets kinda sloshed around on bumpy roads...but handles it ok...and when we put him, in his tank, on the dash of the motor home..he loves to look all around...

We call him " BUBBA "
kchadw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw View Post
Are these the same as " red eared slider " turtles...? I remember these turtles when I was a kid in New England...we called em, " sun turtles "...

Have a pet "red eared slider here in Fla. ( yep, a pet ) found him about five or more years ago crawling across my driveway..He ( I think ) was about the size of a quarter...grabbed him up before the birds made a meal of him...and have had him in a fish tank ever since..He's about the size of an open fist from a large hand now...Goes everywhere with us...more miles on him than any turtle I know of...been from Key West to Northern N.H. many times in our motor home with our two dogs..

He's part of the family....gets kinda sloshed around on bumpy roads...but handles it ok...and when we put him, in his tank, on the dash of the motor home..he loves to look all around...

We call him " BUBBA "
I hope you find me if I am reincarnated and come back as a turtle. What an interesting story!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
kchadw

Would you believe it, we were camping a week or so ago...My wife came up with the idea of duct taping the dog leash to the top of " Bubbas " shell and take him for a walk...! I wouldn't let her do it....ha ha...

We have a kind of two level stone thingie in his tank, and he sometimes climbs up on it and spreads out his head, tail and all four legs...We think, he's practicing his surfing technique....!
kchadw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw View Post
Are these the same as " red eared slider " turtles...? I remember these turtles when I was a kid in New England...we called em, " sun turtles "...Have a pet "red eared slider here in Fla. ( yep, a pet ) found him about five or more years ago crawling across my driveway..He ( I think ) was about the size of a quarter
No, they are a different species than the Red Sliders. Also, you were right on the money regarding the size of the babies.

Jonas Pilot (04-15-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
HomeWood

Cool photo!

I used to have baby painted and baby snappers as pets in a big tank when I was a kid. Filters, sand, gold fish...the works. I let them go after they grew a bit.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
shoppes on the bay

Default squintz

our 5 year old dwarf cherryhead tortoise having a nice soak in the sink -
Attached Images

shoppes on the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Jonas Pilot

It's good to see a pet helping with the dishes.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote