Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #101
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Local Judges have accepted and recognize the intent of the law and therefore the application of the “slowest speed necessary…” is the portion of the definition that our officers most often use in their application of the law.

I supposed you still know more than the Captain of our Marine Patrol, Woodsy?
Well Tis.... Tim's letter proves my point. The legislature added "the slowest speed to maintain steerage" clause so that if conditions warrant it you can exceed the 6MPH speed limit. The original definition of "Headway Speed" was just 6MPH. The legislature made no differentiation in the law for Tidal vs. Inland waters. You can argue all you want, the reality is you are allowed 6MPH in a NWZ. I know this because I won my case... I demonstrated that my boat @ dead slow was 7.5MPH. Dead Slow being just in gear/no throttle. I won because the the statute reads "6MPH or slowest speed needed to maintain steerage". I ultimately prevailed in court.

There is no boat at 6MPH that is going to leave any sort of a damaging wake... Well, maybe one of those new ski boats with the ballast tanks and tabs... maybe.

Woodsy

Woodsy
Old 08-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #102
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Well Tis.... Tim's letter proves my point. The legislature added "the slowest speed to maintain steerage" clause so that if conditions warrant it you can exceed the 6MPH speed limit. The original definition of "Headway Speed" was just 6MPH. The legislature made no differentiation in the law for Tidal vs. Inland waters. You can argue all you want, the reality is you are allowed 6MPH in a NWZ. I know this because I won my case... I demonstrated that my boat @ dead slow was 7.5MPH. Dead Slow being just in gear/no throttle. I won because the the statute reads "6MPH or slowest speed needed to maintain steerage". I ultimately prevailed in court.

There is no boat at 6MPH that is going to leave any sort of a damaging wake... Well, maybe one of those new ski boats with the ballast tanks and tabs... maybe.

Woodsy

Woodsy
What, pray tell, is the RPM’s of your boat at “dead slow idle”? Anone can turn an idle screw in or out...

Last edited by Hillcountry; 08-29-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #103
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Woodsy, we are never going to see eye to eye on this so we might as well just give it up. I still read it as you can go UP to 6 MPH if conditions warrant it, not that you can go faster. If you are not making a wake in your boat at 6MPH then I agree you can go 6 MPH. If you are making a wake though, you should go slower. Apparently you DID get a ticket for making a wake if you went to court. If what you say that your boat will go no slower than 7.5 MPH, is true, then I guess you have no choice. Unless, as HILL said, you adjust something. However, I am curious as to how do you dock if you can't slow your boat down? Again, is you are not "pulling our legs", then all I can say is you are certainly the EXCEPTION to the rule. Most people are able to make their boat go slower than 7.5 MPH. And most of the boats I see I am sure can go slower than that, they just don't choose to. BTW, most of the offenders I see are jet skis.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-29-2018)
Old 08-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #104
8gv

I have enjoyed the give and take on this issue but...

I would bet that the participants here don’t put up a wake in a no wake zone.

The real issue isn’t the difference between the interpretations of the law offered in this thread.

It is the flagrant disregard for no wake zones by people piloting their boats way too fast.

Maybe we can get their speeds down first and then go back to splitting hairs?

8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (08-30-2018), Dave R (08-29-2018), GodSmile (08-30-2018), Hillcountry (08-29-2018), KPW (08-29-2018), tis (08-29-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 05:14 AM   #105
ApS

Cool Not Everybody Has Good Night Vision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
You think black markers are adequate at night? If so, you are as crazy as every one of your inane posts!
Some days, sun and water conditions make none of the markers particularly noticeable; however, the NH navigation marking-system has seen a very high years-long endurance for what—eighty-plus years? (None appear on my 1909 Lake Winnipesaukee chart).

Why, suddenly, can markers not be seen?

Why is greater support seen here for night-time controls on "activity"?

Are we hearing from one of the male population that is colorblind—8%?

Let a woman drive: their colorblindness is only 1% of the population.

Ever notice how easy night navigation is when shoreline lights are not present?

Artificial light (aboard) can take away one's night vision for many minutes.

When you can't see markers, my advice is to become familiar at slow speeds in daylight, and especially slow down at night.

Last edited by ApS; 08-31-2018 at 07:15 AM.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2018, 07:36 AM   #106
Not to Worry

Default Personal

Quote:
You think black markers are adequate at night? If so, you are as crazy as every one of your inane posts!
I love the forum for the information it provides about the lake. I hate the forum when it gets petty and attacks people for their opinions. I try not to post often for that reason because regardless of what I say someone will pounce on that and attack the person versus the opinion.

I am sure we all do it at times with the false courage of anonymity.
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Not to Worry For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-31-2018), VitaBene (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 09:25 AM   #107
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not to Worry View Post
I love the forum for the information it provides about the lake. I hate the forum when it gets petty and attacks people for their opinions. I try not to post often for that reason because regardless of what I say someone will pounce on that and attack the person versus the opinion.

I am sure we all do it at times with the false courage of anonymity.
APS and I have had differing opinions on many boating related topics dating back to the speed limit debate. I am certainly not the only one that takes issue with his parsed, taken out of context, often inane posts!

I am hardly anonymous- you can find my name and phone number on any number of posts on this forum!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (08-31-2018), LIforrelaxin (09-24-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 09:30 AM   #108
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Some days, sun and water conditions make none of the markers particularly noticeable; however, the NH navigation marking-system has seen a very high years-long endurance for what—eighty-plus years? (None appear on my 1909 Lake Winnipesaukee chart).

Why, suddenly, can markers not be seen?

Why is greater support seen here for night-time controls on "activity"?

Are we hearing from one of the male population that is colorblind—8%?

Let a woman drive: their colorblindness is only 1% of the population.

Ever notice how easy night navigation is when shoreline lights are not present?

Artificial light (aboard) can take away one's night vision for many minutes.

When you can't see markers, my advice is to become familiar at slow speeds in daylight, and especially slow down at night.

My vision is perfectly good. Black markers have been a subject of complaint here for many years. I always boat at a speed suitable for the conditions- whether they be lighting or weather.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #109
noreast

Quote:
My vision is perfectly good. Black markers have been a subject of complaint here for many years. I always boat at a speed suitable for the conditions- whether they be lighting or weather.
Exactly, And the worst argument for anything is because it's always been that way. I think we can come up with an unlimited list of things that have been improved.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (08-31-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 10:49 PM   #110
ApS

Red face We Are A L L Going to Need Bigger Boats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Wow..that wave must have wiped out all the homes on that shore line. My heart goes out to all the owners of these homes that this wave totally destroyed.
1) As previously posted, the cruiser can be seen to be going fast, which is a factor in producing a reduced wake—so we are told.

Indeed, in the photo below, the wake that struck the shore appears innocuous. Note the cruiser's wake coursing across the center of the photograph, as indicated by the two x's. Although a small wake, it is cresting between the x's—never a good sign.

2) The lake is approaching year-end's lowest level. Had this cruiser's "modest" wake struck at "full-pond", more soil (and Phosphorus) would have been released, more trees (and boulders) would fall into the lake, and more survey markers would be found in the lake.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #111
Cal Coon

Quote:
1) As previously posted, the cruiser can be seen to be going fast, which is a factor in producing a reduced wake—so we are told.

Indeed, in the photo below, the wake that struck the shore appears innocuous. Note the cruiser's wake coursing across the center of the photograph, as indicated by the two x's. Although a small wake, it is cresting between the x's—never a good sign.

2) The lake is approaching year-end's lowest level. Had this cruiser's "modest" wake struck at "full-pond", more soil (and Phosphorus) would have been released, more trees (and boulders) would fall into the lake, and more survey markers would be found in the lake.
This is a joke, right? So who's fault is it when the wind kicks up the white caps?? Do those waves cause the same amount of damage as the waves that are caused by gas and oil?? Or is it just the waves caused by gas and oil that do the damage?? You have got to be kidding me. I'm going to have to side with Rusty on this one... Where are the surfers??? Man, they missed a big one!!
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #112
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Natural waves vs boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
This is a joke, right? So who's fault is it when the wind kicks up the white caps?? Do those waves cause the same amount of damage as the waves that are caused by gas and oil?? Or is it just the waves caused by gas and oil that do the damage?? You have got to be kidding me. I'm going to have to side with Rusty on this one... Where are the surfers??? Man, they missed a big one!!
Wind driven waves have their place. Mostly, exposed areas have moved the waters edge up to the ledge or granite boulders over the last few hundred years. However, in a protected cove, or on a small lake, there is not a lot of natural wave action caused by wind. However, boats in these coves, with large wakes can cause some erosion or other damage to docks and boats if there is enough repeated activity of some magnitude. So the argument is very situational.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-07-2018), Newbiesaukee (09-05-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #113
ApS

Arrow Cataracts Not Near Whitewater-Rapids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreast View Post
Exactly, And the worst argument for anything is because it's always been that way. I think we can come up with an unlimited list of things that have been improved.
Normally, I'd agree, but our 1909 Winnipesaukee chart shows NO MARKERS at all. The first "improvement" was to go to anchored 6"x6" tapered wooden markers, painted red and black. Ice moved them around, and some captains struck them at night—knocking the tops off to leave just a hint of a marker at the surface.

Such boaters prompted the next improvement, which was PVC markers in red and black. Today, they break only if struck "dead-on", or if "sleds" break them off, level with the ice.

Now, if only we could agree with the color of the next "improvement".

Quote:
Yes...We are all "above average".

Y'know, cataracts of the eyes can strike at middle age. Excluding advanced age, the one aggravating activity?

Boating in the sunshine—where direct UV rays are compounded by being reflected off the water, to take the double toll of skin cancers and cataracts.

BTW: Most everybody who has had cataract-surgery comments, "Color has come back".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Wind driven waves have their place. Mostly, exposed areas have moved the waters edge up to the ledge or granite boulders over the last few hundred years. However, in a protected cove, or on a small lake, there is not a lot of natural wave action caused by wind. However, boats in these coves, with large wakes can cause some erosion or other damage to docks and boats if there is enough repeated activity of some magnitude. So the argument is very situational.
Exactly right!

I would add that ice has been shuffling the entire perimeter of the lake for ten thousand years—and perhaps more-so in the past hundred years. But it's the most recent three decades of "modern boating" has sent old-time residents to rescue their docked boats with breakwaters and hydraulic lifts. (Even for the oversized boats of our surprised newest residents, and there has been a remarkable turnover—no pun intended—of residents in Winter Harbor).

As for wave action, even the strongest of summer on-shore windstorms don't soak our dock. (Although our dock can get very hot, and a soaking is appreciated—wakes that throw gravel on the steps, not so much).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
What, pray tell, is the RPM’s of your boat at “dead slow idle”? Anyone can turn an idle screw in or out...
True enough, and one can also select a propeller that allows speeds that conform to "no wake" speeds. But to have a ocean-racer to go a little bit faster, hire an attorney to argue the "no wake" law in court.

Last edited by ApS; 09-10-2018 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Color, and Marker Re-Sized and add "tapered"...
Old 09-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #114
Cal Coon

Quote:
Normally, I'd agree, but our 1909 Winnipesaukee chart shows NO MARKERS at all. The first "improvement" was to go to anchored 4"x4" wooden markers, painted red and black. Ice moved them around, and some captains struck them at night—knocking the tops off to leave just a stump above the water.

Such boaters prompted the next improvement, which was PVC markers in red and black. Today, they break only if struck "dead-on", or if "sleds" break them off, level with the ice.

Now, if only we could agree with the color of the next "improvement".

Yes...We are all "above average".

Y'know, cataracts of the eyes can strike at middle age. Excluding advanced age, the one aggravating activity?

Boating in the sunshine—where direct UV rays are compounded by being reflected off the water, to take the double toll of skin cancers and cataracts.

BTW: Most everybody who has had cataract-surgery comments, "Color has come back".

Exactly right!

I would add that ice has been shuffling the entire perimeter of the lake for ten thousand years—and perhaps more-so in the past hundred years. But it's the most recent three decades of "modern boating" has sent old-time residents to rescue their boats with breakwaters and hydraulic lifts. (Even for the oversized boats of our surprised newest residents, and there has been a remarkable turnover—no pun intended—of residents in Winter Harbor).

As for wave action, even the strongest of summer on-shore windstorms don't soak our dock. (Although our dock can get very hot, and a soaking is appreciated—wakes that throw gravel on the steps, not so much).

True enough, and one can also select a propeller that allows speeds that conform to "no wake" speeds. But to have a ocean-racer to go a little bit faster, hire an attorney to argue the "no wake" law in court.

Maybe we should just ban all powerboats, regardless of size, and just allow sail boats, and anything operated by "people power". I don't know why anybody needs a powerboat anyways. All they do is cause trouble, (in more ways than one...!!)
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:05 PM   #115
Bizer

Default New Legislation

Bizer just received an eMail that said,
Quote:
I want to give you an update on the NH No Wake law. Last Friday NH Representative Charlie St. Clair submitted legislation to change the No Wake law by removing any reference to 6 MPH. Simply: "VI. "Headway speed" means the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way."

If it passes it will clear up this law for the final time.
What that means is, for example, if a boat can maintain steerage way at one mile-per-hour, it will take him/her about 25 minutes to pass the 0.4 miles from the Governor's Island Bridge to light #69.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #116
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
Maybe we should just ban all powerboats, regardless of size, and just allow sail boats, and anything operated by "people power". I don't know why anybody needs a powerboat anyways. All they do is cause trouble, (in more ways than one...!!)
If you ask APS this is what he would desire....

APS please get some new material....
Old 09-24-2018, 03:46 PM   #117
tis

That is great! The wording of this law undoubtedly needs to be changed. I do not see why it would mean you could only go 1MPH though. If you are not making a wake, you could go faster than that. Really headway speed has nothing to do with the rule. IMO they don't need it.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:35 PM   #118
Hillcountry

Quote:
That is great! The wording of this law undoubtedly needs to be changed. I do not see why it would mean you could only go 1MPH though. If you are not making a wake, you could go faster than that. Really headway speed has nothing to do with the rule. IMO they don't need it.
Yup! 6 mph is a bit fast and causes a substantial wake from my Tritoon!
Imagine what a non-pontoon boat makes at that speed. Hope the law passes...
Old 09-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #119
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I think hovercraft and others have no wake, and are registered as vessels, so with this change they can go through the channel at 45 mph?
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #120
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I am glad Charlie St.Clair is finally doing something. He has shown up for only 70% of the legislative days and voted in only 52% of the legislative votes.

That is truly Part Time representation!

Want to fix it? Vote for someone else
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Reilly (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:08 AM   #121
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
Bizer just received an eMail that said, What that means is, for example, if a boat can maintain steerage way at one mile-per-hour, it will take him/her about 25 minutes to pass the 0.4 miles from the Governor's Island Bridge to light #69.
The way the proposed law is worded, it's actually worse than that:

If you have a boat that can maintain steerage at 3 MPH and your boat is facing a 3 MPH current, the slowest you can go and maintain steerage is 0 MPH.

If you are in the same boat facing into a 4 MPH current, you can maintain steerage while moving backward at -1 MPH.

Perhaps someone that understands math should amend the proposal...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #122
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The way the proposed law is worded, it's actually worse than that:

If you have a boat that can maintain steerage at 3 MPH and your boat is facing a 3 MPH current, the slowest you can go and maintain steerage is 0 MPH.

If you are in the same boat facing into a 4 MPH current, you can maintain steerage while moving backward at -1 MPH.

Perhaps someone that understands math should amend the proposal...
The law (and common sense) implies using a “no current” situation. Obviously, in any current you have to adjust accordingly...my point being we don’t need to pigeonhole the wording to include any speed. Just MAKE NO WAKE! How freakin’ hard is this to comprehend??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (09-25-2018), KPW (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:59 AM   #123
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default No Wake

Quote:
The law (and common sense) implies using a “no current” situation. Obviously, in any current you have to adjust accordingly...my point being we don’t need to pigeonhole the wording to include any speed. Just MAKE NO WAKE! How freakin’ hard is this to comprehend??

Your absolutely correct but way too simple a solution for lawmakers. Everything needs convoluted language to confuse us. It’s how they keep their jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #124
Garcia

Default No wake...

I am 100% confident that I will be able to follow the spirit and letter of the law in any boat, in any circumstances. I won't need a speedometer, tachometer, or to turn around and see if I'm creating a wake. My guess is this is the case for pretty much anyone on the forum. Those who are not abiding by the letter and spirit of the law know it.

That said, I do enjoy reading the ongoing discussion about the different ways to interpret what I find to be a pretty straightforward issue.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #125
Patofnaud

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Your absolutely correct but way too simple a solution for lawmakers. Everything needs convoluted language to confuse us. It’s how they keep their jobs.

Exactly.

This is a Winni forum, not a Piscataqua River forum and to the best of my knowledge the only current is the Weirs Channel heading into Paugus, so everywhere else (Governors bridge, between Eagle and Gov, Bear Island post office, etc,,,,) there is ZERO current, meaning the wake your making, is the wake YOU are making. All the wording in the RSA means diddley. Wake = wake. Not rocket science.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #126
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofnaud View Post
Exactly.

This is a Winni forum, not a Piscataqua River forum and to the best of my knowledge the only current is the Weirs Channel heading into Paugus, so everywhere else (Governors bridge, between Eagle and Gov, Bear Island post office, etc,,,,) there is ZERO current, meaning the wake your making, is the wake YOU are making. All the wording in the RSA means diddley. Wake = wake. Not rocket science.

I think Garcia said it best. “Spirit” of the law. Just don’t make a wake, it’s not difficult the problem is there is always someone looking to circumvent the system.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #127
The Real BigGuy

I believe the mph limit in “headway” refers to speed your boat can maintain steerage in the water/wind condition it is in. If I can maintain steerage at 3 mph in still water and I move to a 3 mph current I will need to go faster than 3 mph to maintain steerage because no boat will be able to continually maintain a heading 180 degrees to a current. As soon as it falls off it looses steerage. Same in a following current. Common sense, but that will never stop some from twisting it to fit their argument. And by the way, if you don’t want to spend the time going thru a no wake zone properly, go around it. If you can’t go around it, enjoy the slow ride.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #128
Dave R

Quote:
You can't assume a law implies anything, that's the opposite of the point of laws. Otherwise we could just have one law that says: "don't do anything bad".
Old 09-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #129
tis

Wow, how can we make something so easy so difficult???
Old 09-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #130
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
You can't assume a law implies anything, that's the opposite of the point of laws. Otherwise we could just have one law that says: "don't do anything bad".
This is a great example of why government gets bigger and bigger. The more we try to find loopholes, require specifics rather than use common sense, and try to over analyze the intent of rules and regulations, the more bureaucracy we create. I'm not trying to make a political statement, just pointing out the more we debate things, the more politicians try to clarify, and the more things get clogged up in the interpretation of the rules and regulations (which can lead to the court system).
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #131
tis

I agree with you again, Garcia. I can't believe how complicated some people have made this discussion.
Cal Coon (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #132
Dave R

Quote:
I agree with you again, Garcia. I can't believe how complicated some people have made this discussion.
If you find this stuff complicated, perhaps boating isn't for you. No wake zones are pretty much the easiest part of boating to deal with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Descant (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:24 PM   #133
tis

Dave R. I don't find the "stuff" complicated, I find the way you guys make such a big deal out of it complicated. As Garcia and Hill said no wake means no wake, how hard is that for you to understand? BTW, I bet I know a lot more about boating that you do.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #134
Woodsy

It is so freaking simple...

A No Wake Zone is the same as School Zone or a Thickly Settled Zone... it defines an area where there is a reduced speed limit.

Headway Speed (6MPH) is same as the 20 MPH speed limit sign when you enter a School Zone. It tells you how fast you can thru the zone.

The law has to be absolute... and it is. 6MPH.

The only place this really even comes into play is the Weirs Channel and Meredith Bay... mostly the Weirs Channel. There is way too much boat traffic to have them move thru the Channel at 2 MPH...

Woodsy
Old 09-25-2018, 06:38 PM   #135
joey2665

You got it Woodsy. 134 posts about something so simple if people just use common sense.

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:35 PM   #136
KDL

Two rules,

1) Don't make a wake in a "No Wake Zone"

2) Don't do anything bad.

That was easy.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KDL For This Useful Post:
Dave R (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #137
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDL View Post
Two rules,

1) Don't make a wake in a "No Wake Zone"

2) Don't do anything bad.

That was easy.
3) Stay home, pull the shades, hide in the house, have no fun.

That sums up life in the “Live Free or Die” state.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #138
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

So........................If your boat can go through the Weirs Channel and leave no wake at 1/2 MPH should you do that?

And, if you look behind you and the substantially different sized/configuration/hull design boat following you is having great difficulty steering and maintaining control at your "safe speed" should you speed up to allow the vessel behind you to maintain safe control?

Are you guilty of a violation of law?

What will you do?

How many boaters are smart enough or aware enough to realize they are causing a problem for the boats behind them?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #139
kawishiwi

Default What does it matter...

...if no one is enforcing it? I've been on the lake most weekends for 4 years. I dont go into the big traffic areas like the Weirs and I am most often out from dawn to maybe noon or 5ish till dark. I have yet to see ANY enforcement of ANY type, period. I am not hiding way up in out of the way places either and I can almost count on one hand how many times I've even seen the M.P. in 4 years.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:25 AM   #140
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
It is so freaking simple...

A No Wake Zone is the same as School Zone or a Thickly Settled Zone... it defines an area where there is a reduced speed limit.

Headway Speed (6MPH) is same as the 20 MPH speed limit sign when you enter a School Zone. It tells you how fast you can thru the zone.

The law has to be absolute... and it is. 6MPH.

The only place this really even comes into play is the Weirs Channel and Meredith Bay... mostly the Weirs Channel. There is way too much boat traffic to have them move thru the Channel at 2 MPH...

Woodsy
But Woodsy why don't you understand??? It's not 6MPH, it's NO Wake!!!
Old 09-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #141
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
...if no one is enforcing it? I've been on the lake most weekends for 4 years. I dont go into the big traffic areas like the Weirs and I am most often out from dawn to maybe noon or 5ish till dark. I have yet to see ANY enforcement of ANY type, period. I am not hiding way up in out of the way places either and I can almost count on one hand how many times I've even seen the M.P. in 4 years.

From what I've seen on Winnipesaukee lately, wake violations need to be egregious to get any law enforcement attention. That's also what I've noticed elsewhere boating in the northeast for years, so perhaps it's just spreading into Winni from the rest of the region. Winnipesaukee is the only place I've ever boated where people get really upset over wakes that would not raise an eyebrow anywhere else.

In all the other places I've boated, "no wake" essentially means "don't plane" and "don't plow"; except in the case of small boats like a RIB dinghy, they can go as fast as they want to, anywhere without anyone caring... I don't know why dinghy drivers get such relaxed rules, but it's probably because at worst, they don't make much of a wake. Picture yourself cruising along at idle speed in the no wake zone in Meredith or Weirs Beach and having a dinghy pass you at 20 MPH in plain view of marine patrol without any reaction. That's normal outside of Winnipesaukee. Imagine the uproar here if that really happened, some people would lose their minds.

FWIW, I've been boating on Winni for decades and have never been stopped for a no-wake violation (on Winni or anywhere else except Costa Rica where it was unclear that it was a no wake zone, no ticket, just a verbal warning). I just adjust speed for conditions (in other words, don't stand out), and all is good.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:42 AM   #142
Woodsy

Quote:
But Woodsy why don't you understand??? It's not 6MPH, it's NO Wake!!!
Unfortunately for you... that is NOT the way the law is written! Its not my fault you do not understand law.... perhaps a law class or two?

Woodsy
DEJ (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #143
DEJ

Tis, Woodsy is correct, you do not understand the law as currently written.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #144
Bizer

Quote:
... I do not see why it would mean you could only go 1MPH though. ...
Because that's what the law would dictate if your boat could maintain steerage way at one mile per hour, then that is your maximum speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I think hovercraft and others have no wake, and are registered as vessels, so with this change they can go through the channel at 45 mph?
No. As written, the law is purely a function of the speed. The size of the wake is not considered.

Quote:
... my point being we don’t need to pigeonhole the wording to include any speed. Just MAKE NO WAKE! How freakin’ hard is this to comprehend??
Any boat movement creates a wave. If the wave is 1mm high (the thickness of a dime), we call it a ripple. If the wave is 150mm high (6"), we call it a wake. At what point does a ripple become a wake? If you say 76mm, how does one measure it?

FYI: Here is my "wake" in a 20 foot Four Winns. The GPS said 5.7 MPH. My minimum steerage way speed is about 3 MPH.
Attached Images

Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
DEJ (09-26-2018), Little Bear (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #145
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
Because that's what the law would dictate if your boat could maintain steerage way at one mile per hour, then that is your maximum speed.

No. As written, the law is purely a function of the speed. The size of the wake is not considered.

Any boat movement creates a wave. If the wave is 1mm high (the thickness of a dime), we call it a ripple. If the wave is 150mm high (6"), we call it a wake. At what point does a ripple become a wake? If you say 76mm, how does one measure it?

FYI: Here is my "wake" in a 20 foot Four Winns. The GPS said 5.7 MPH. My minimum steerage way speed is about 3 MPH.
That wake looks about the size wake that a duck would make.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #146
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
And to Dave R's point, there are many on this lake that would yell at the "offending" operator from land.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #147
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Yeah...that doesn’t equate with 5.7 mph in my experience. My toon makes a much more substantial wake at that speed...your 20 footer must glide like a goose!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #148
iw8surf

Quote:
Yeah...that doesn’t equate with 5.7 mph in my experience. My toon makes a much more substantial wake at that speed...your 20 footer must glide like a goose!

You can't compare a toon wake at 5.7 mph to a bowrider wake at 5.7 mph. Apples to oranges.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #149
tis

Hill, isn't it nice we have so many lawyers on here who think they know so much?For some reason they will say anything to justify making a wake.
Hillcountry (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #150
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
So........................If your boat can go through the Weirs Channel and leave no wake at 1/2 MPH should you do that?

And, if you look behind you and the substantially different sized/configuration/hull design boat following you is having great difficulty steering and maintaining control at your "safe speed" should you speed up to allow the vessel behind you to maintain safe control?

Are you guilty of a violation of law?

What will you do?

How many boaters are smart enough or aware enough to realize they are causing a problem for the boats behind them?

That is easy to answer. Few operators look behind them period. Not for boats gaining on them, not to see if they are making a wake.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #151
DEJ

Quote:
Hill, isn't it nice we have so many lawyers on here who think they know so much?For some reason they will say anything to justify making a wake.
No lawyer is needed to understand the law as it is currently written.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #152
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
You can't compare a toon wake at 5.7 mph to a bowrider wake at 5.7 mph. Apples to oranges.
Yes, I know...a bow riders wake, along with any v-hull makes a greater wake than a lowly toon. This fact has been borne out numerous times on this forum that toons make very little wake compared to the v-hull boats. Look it up.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #153
MDoug

Default Wake Watchers

Quote:
And to Dave R's point, there are many on this lake that would yell at the "offending" operator from land.
Very true of the lady on the point at Y Landing, yelling and flailing arms
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote