Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
dt5150

Default Fireworks Viewing

i'd like to take the family out on the boat to watch the 4th of july fireworks this year. i'm docked in gilford.. where would be a good place to go? meredith, wolfeboro, somewhere else? i'm thinking of going out late afternoon and anchoring up somewhere. the kids can swim etc and we can grill up some burgers and dogs for dinner. basically just enjoy a late afternoon/evening on the lake while waiting for the fireworks to start. any suggestions? ideally somewhere we won't get beat up too badly by winds and wakes (i realize it's gonna be pretty darn busy out there).
dt5150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt5150 View Post
i'd like to take the family out on the boat to watch the 4th of july fireworks this year. i'm docked in gilford.. where would be a good place to go? meredith, wolfeboro, somewhere else? i'm thinking of going out late afternoon and anchoring up somewhere. the kids can swim etc and we can grill up some burgers and dogs for dinner. basically just enjoy a late afternoon/evening on the lake while waiting for the fireworks to start. any suggestions? ideally somewhere we won't get beat up too badly by winds and wakes (i realize it's gonna be pretty darn busy out there).
Derek;

Wolfeboro is always fun and always well attended. It's quite the sight to see all those boats in the bay with their anchor lights on watching the fireworks. If you have never been leaving can be a little intimidating with all the boats but if you just stay anchored for 15 minutes or so your departure will be much less "white knuckled". I may go myself so I may see you there!

Dan
Old 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
AC2717

when is the Eastern Propane firework show this year? I know last year was canceled
Old 06-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
dt5150

hey thanks dan. so you think wolfeboro would be better than meredith?

i think i've only been to wolfeboro once by boat.. ever.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
hey thanks dan. so you think wolfeboro would be better than meredith?

i think i've only been to wolfeboro once by boat.. ever.
I'm not going to say it's better just if I go to see fireworks by boat, I am going to Wolfeboro. We like the ride there and back, it is very well attended and it is usually very calm in the bay...

Dan
Old 06-29-2018, 10:02 AM   #6
dt5150

ok thanks for the info. i'll get in touch if we head over there.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
Meredith AK

Default Meredith Fireworks

Meredith's fireworks display will be double what it usually is. There are a few extra donations this year (see excerpt below from LDS earlier this week). Rumor has it that one of the wealthier lakefront owners also contributed a fair sum to the fireworks fund as well.
You can't beat Meredith for family options; the sculpture walk is always fun and about 12 restaurants (think ice cream on a hot day) and bars within walking distance. At Hesky park, near Lago, there's also a few charcoal grills for public use for your BBQ. Boat traffic is very heavy, but as the last poster mentioned, waiting that extra 15-30 minutes will make your ride much easier. PS - a little secret for docking space is the public dock at Lago on your right if docks are full at the main town docks.

MEREDITH — As part of the town's 250th anniversary celebration, the contents of Meredith's 1968 Time Capsule will be unveiled at 2 p.m. on July 4 at Chase House. A special fireworks display will also be offered beginning at dusk at Hesky Park on Meredith Bay. Thanks to $10,000 grant from the Lakes Region Community Fund of the New Hampshire Charitable Foundation, this year’s fireworks are sure to be a magnificent display for all to enjoy. Both events are free and open to the public.
Meredith AK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meredith AK For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
dt5150

thanks! i guess i've got some good options to choose from.

i've been wanting to do this for years, watch the fireworks from the lake, but we always seem to go by car and fight the crowds and the traffic. looking forward to it this year!

and i also heard that laconia isn't doing a fireworks show on the 4th this year?
Old 06-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith AK View Post
PS - a little secret for docking space is the public dock at Lago on your right if docks are full at the main town docks.
Not so Secret now is it !! DUH

BoatHouse (07-01-2018), Meredith AK (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #10
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
when is the Eastern Propane firework show this year? I know last year was canceled

I remember when they were canceled last year they said they would be back for 2018. Haven't heard or read anything. Best show and display in the whole lakes Region.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:57 PM   #11
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

Lol
I thought that Dock was for the restaurant only...go figure.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:07 PM   #12
Water Camper

Default Fireworks

Went to Meredith for many years, never liked the return trip with all the boat traffic. We now own property on Weirs Boulevard and are amazed at the fireworks on Paugus Bay. Now we only have to go down to our dock to see a Great Fireworks show from both the East and West and then just stumble back up to the cottage.

Just my opinion, Enjoy and be careful,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:35 AM   #13
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

That dock terminates on private (not town or state owned) property so how is it that is a "public dock"?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #14
hilltopper

Default Little help?

We usually go to the Center Harbor fireworks and park at a friend's place, but this year we'd like to go to the Meredith display. If any folks are feeling charitable I would love a PM on where to park that does not require getting there two hours early. If it's a guarded secret, I totally understand. Everyone enjoy the 4th and be safe!
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #15
Albee400

Does anyone have experience going to Alton Bay?
Albee400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #16
Phantom

Alton Bay has an impressive show each year -- but getting out of there, whether you wait or not, is like a "washing machine" as it is so narrow (relatively speaking) and of course add a few idiots for added stress.

Albee400 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #17
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Lots of boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albee400 View Post
Does anyone have experience going to Alton Bay?
Lots of boats come down the bay.

Fireworks are shot off a barge that is anchored outside the floating bandstand.

You can anchor inside the floating bandstand, like out in front of the town docks, and listen to the concert.

You can also anchor from a line straight across the bay from around the Back Bay bridge, and then out the bay to Sandy Point and beyond.

Come early and stay late. Fireworks are great because they reverberate off the hills surrounding the bay. Really adds to the show.

Like anywhere, it is a mad dash to get out of the bay. I sit back and let them go, and enjoy the red / green / white light show. Once it settles down, we do a slow crawl back to our dock.

Dave
Old 07-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #18
Albee400

thank you on Alton Bay
Albee400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:38 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Meredith Fireworks

I thought the show was kind of low key. However after the show Triple H step up to the plate and put on a great one. Glad I drifted next to his 'compound'.

The usual crazy getting in and out was to be had. Get use to it. What I don't like are the obnoxious boaters driving around with dock lights on, music blaring and LED lights galore. Enough is enough.

Highlight of the night on the way home at the entrance of the Weirs channel, Three pontoon boaters actually entered at the same time! They bumped each other the usual cursing and cussing about who is going first. I was laughing at first but things got a bit heated, I almost called MP. Finally one stormed down the channel above headway speed, one at headway, and the other just sit there a bit and proceed. I notice later two pulled into Thurston and the third pulled into Winni Marine. Renters perhaps?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #20
dt5150

well we ended up going to meredith. after spending the afternoon/evening by timber, i didn't feel like driving way over to wolfeboro so we went to meredith instead. just a bit closer. we anchored up on the east side of the bay, about 100 yards outside the no-wake zone. everything was great! then the skeeters came out... holy moly were they bad! note to self, next year bring a thermacell and some bug spray. enjoyed the fireworks though, show was great, kids loved it. getting out wasn't terrible, just a lot of big wakes. and thank god for chartplotters! the ride back to smith's cove would've been a lot worse without one! we'll definitely be doing it again next year too. there's definitely something awesome about watching fireworks from the water.

did triple h start his show right after the town show finished? if so, we were right out in front of his place. i was getting ready to go when those started going off.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
did triple h start his show right after the town show finished? if so, we were right out in front of his place. i was getting ready to go when those started going off.
Maybe a few minutes after the town show. I was sitting there waiting for the craziness to pass!
Old 07-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #22
dt5150

ok yeah, must have been his place then. it wasn't just a few bottle rockets and roman candles!

were the skeeters all over you guys too?
Old 07-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #23
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I thought the show was kind of low key. However after the show Triple H step up to the plate and put on a great one. Glad I drifted next to his 'compound'.

The usual crazy getting in and out was to be had. Get use to it. What I don't like are the obnoxious boaters driving around with dock lights on, music blaring and LED lights galore. Enough is enough.

Highlight of the night on the way home at the entrance of the Weirs channel, Three pontoon boaters actually entered at the same time! They bumped each other the usual cursing and cussing about who is going first. I was laughing at first but things got a bit heated, I almost called MP. Finally one stormed down the channel above headway speed, one at headway, and the other just sit there a bit and proceed. I notice later two pulled into Thurston and the third pulled inqto Winni Marine. Renters perhaps?
You made me think of when the Three Stooges all try to go through a door at once...must have been hilarious! Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk! Why you...!!
Speaking of stooges there were many out on the lake today...blows my mind how many disregard the no wake and 150’ law...I just shake my head.

Last edited by Hillcountry; 07-05-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote