Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2005, 09:05 AM   #1
Breakwater

Default Littlefield Conviction Affirmed

The NH Supreme Court released its ruling on the Littlefield appeal this morning. It ruled the procedings in the Belknap County Superior Court and the sentence stand.

See the Supreme Court Slip Opinions web site.
Breakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
Skip

Thumbs up The system may be slow.....

....but it indeed still works.

Here is the link to the opinion......

http://www.courts.state.nh.us/suprem...5/littl071.htm
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:19 AM   #3
legend

Default Reactions to Littlefield Ruling

I'm a news correspondent for the Union Leader working on a story about reaction to the Littlefield ruling. If you want to make a comment call 366-2357 or e-mail me at roger@weirs.com. Your name will be used. No anonymous comments will make it into the paper.
legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

Thanks for that transcript Skip.Reading that brings chills thinking about what happened that night.I think most reasonable people understand the conviction was the correct decision. SS
Old 06-16-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
Lockness

Default Littlefield

When will Littlefield begin serving his sentence?
Lockness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2005, 02:17 PM   #6
Boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockness
When will Littlefield begin serving his sentence?
From today's Citizen article:

Quote:
As a result of the today's ruling, Littlefield will begin serving a 2 1/2-to-seven-year sentence in the State Prison and will be barred from operating a boat during the full length of his sentence.

Assistant Attorney General Susan McGinnis said the Superior Court would issue an arrest warrant for Littlefield. Once a judge signs it, the Belknap County Sheriff's Department will serve the warrant. Once Littlefield is located, the Sheriff's Department will make arrangements to pick him up and take him to Concord where he will be processed by the Department of Corrections.
Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:47 PM   #7
Cal

Quote:
As a result of the today's ruling, Littlefield will begin serving a 2 1/2-to-seven-year sentence in the State Prison and will be barred from operating a boat during the full length of his sentence.

That's brilliant , I wonder just how he would operate a boat in prison anyway
Old 06-16-2005, 03:58 PM   #8
Skip

Post Littlefield sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
Quote:That's brilliant , I wonder just how he would operate a boat in prison anyway
The paper could have been clearer on this (by the way, I believe he was sentenced to 3 1/2 to 7 years).

Anyway, if his full sentence became the whole seven years, but he was paroled early for good behavior, etc. say at four years, he would not be able to operate a boat for the remaining three years he was out on parole.

As we all know very few serve their full sentences, the judge in this case just added an extra caveat to Littlefields paroled period, if he so obtains one.

By the way, kudos to the Marine Patrol. There was a lot of speculation and second guessing on how they handled the investigation, and many opined (even here on this web site) that Littlefield would never serve time.

Considering the facts of the circumstances coupled with the high priced attorneys involved, the Marine Patrol did a good job in obtaining the conviction and sentence that they did. Hats off to the prosecutor's office as well.

Hopefully the victim's family will prevail just as handily in their upcoming civil case against Littlefiled.

I know my prayers go out to the Hartmans, hopefully closure for the family can now begin in earnest.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:08 PM   #9
jkjoshuatree

Angry Justice Was Served...

I'm glad he is going to prison. Personally, I think the sentence should have been longer and I don't think he should be allowed to drive a boat again. Its good to know justice was served and no amount money could get him off.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:20 AM   #10
ApS

Default "Justice Delayed is Justice Denied"

It's over? I don't think so.

Even when the civil case is resolved, it doesn't resolve the hurt.

An article from last year indicated that this defendant's insurance company won't be required to pay out. There's plenty of year-round boating in Florida: what's to keep this defendant from moving to Florida (as O.J. did) to avoid paying any civil judgment?

Does the retired spouse have enough years left to see closure? A similar Winnipesaukee boating civil case from 1997 is still unresolved. Fortunately, that surviving family is younger in years.

Of five similar Hit & Run boating cases I've seen, all are doing major time behind bars -- including one (ten year sentence) that occurred just a year ago and involved no fatality. A Florida case, which needs to be called a Hit & Float (defendant thrown from his boat, and couldn't run) is serving an 84-year term.

Let's face it: Winnipesaukee's latest defendant drove [off] through a major loophole in New Hampshire law, and has already benefited mightily. That, apparently, isn't enough. Federal appeals are next.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #11
Boater

Another interesting Citizen article.
Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 06:46 AM   #12
Pine Cove

Default Thinking about Jack Hartman!

I hope the Hartman Family can now rest and have some peace.

I hope they realize how many people out there feel their pain to this day!

I constantly think of Jack and how tragic his passing was for all of us.

Life on Lake Winnipesaukee will never be the same.
Pine Cove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:49 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I really don't understand the glee at seeing Dan littlefield imprisoned. Until that accident,he was a law abiding ,hard working guy like you and I.One tragic mistake has changed his life forever.But, are we all any safer because he is in jail?I don't believe he had much more than a traffic violation before this happened and think justice would have been better served if he had some kind of community service.... something that could prevent a similar tragedy.By all accounts,he is a good person.His friends consider him a model dad and husband....a kind and thoughtful guy.
My heart goes out to the Hartmans,but Dan's family has suffered as well.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 01:01 PM   #14
GWC...

Default Choices and challenges...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
I really don't understand the glee at seeing Dan littlefield imprisoned. ....a kind and thoughtful guy.
My heart goes out to the Hartmans, but Dan's family has suffered as well.
Life is choices and challenges.

Now he must endure the challenge that resulted from his choice of taking the boat to dinner instead of the car. Had he taken the car, Mr Hartman would still be alive and enjoying life with his family and friends. Yes, there were other different choices that Dan should have made during the day and taking the boat should not have been the reason Mr Hartman is not alive.

Now Dan will have time to reflect upon his life and his choices; afterall, you concider Dan to be a "thoughtful guy." Now he will have time to reflect upon his thoughts on that tragic day.

When Dan serves his time for his choices, he will be able to return to his family and friends; but Mr Hartman will not.

P.S.- Put yourself in Mr Hartman's place. Dan's jail time will not return you to life. However, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that society did not excuse your death; because Dan is "a kind and thoughtful guy."
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #15
shania

Dan's family suffering??They've had him home for the last 3 years they will have him home again in less than 3 years and will be able to visit and speak to him while incarcerated,let me ask?Can Mrs. Hartman see her husband in 3 years? Can Kevin speak to his Dad? Can Mr Hartman enjoy the lake ever again? Whether a law abididing citizen or not lets not forget what really happened that night.My Prayers are with the Hartmans this Fathers day weekend,and always.I can only hope Dan will have plenty of time to remember what happened and how he could have prevented it.I hope he has time to think about the Hartman family while enjoying his own family.
shania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #16
Paugus Bay Resident

I think what SAMIAM is saying is that two families lives had been unreversibly changed. Let's all learn a lesson and do our best to see that something like this never happens again. One bad decision or lapse in judgement is all it takes.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 09:10 PM   #17
Rinkerfam

SAMIAM,

I too am a law abiding, hard working citizen. However, if I made some unfortunate choices on the lake tomorrow that resulted in my taking the life of someone close to you, would you be satisfied if my punishment were community service (no matter how many hours?) I don't mean to be smug about this in any way, but I believe we should all be held accountable for our actions. Community service has its place, but in a case like this it would only amount to a slap on the wrist.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:02 AM   #18
SAMIAM

I understand how you feel about accountability and punishment,and you're right....I might see it differently if it were one of my family members.It would be easier to swallow if he were some career criminal who had sought to commit a crime that night.He was out with his family and made a very tragic mistake.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:39 AM   #19
Tired of Waiting

Post No Mistake about it.

Quote:
I understand how you feel about accountability and punishment,and you're right....I might see it differently if it were one of my family members.It would be easier to swallow if he were some career criminal who had sought to commit a crime that night.He was out with his family and made a very tragic mistake.

Was his decision to take the boat to dinner a mistake? No. A decision? Yes

Was his decision to leave the accident when clearly he knew he hit another boat? No. A decision? Yes

The decisions he made and decisions we all make have their consequences.

As we all go through life we make decisions every day. Every decision we make has a consequence. As we make those decisions we consider the consequence. In this case he made the wrong decision not considering the consequence.

Do I feel sorry for him? No.

Do I feel sorry for his family? Yes. But his family suffering is only one aspect of the consequence for HIS decision.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:55 PM   #20
SAMIAM

Tired....do me a huge favor and get a copy of the July/August Yankee magazine....there is a very similar story to the Littlefield case.It is called "Collision Course" and it addresses the issues that we've been talking about on this thread.Maybe if you read it ,you'll have a little pity for people who make mistakes.We know that you've never made a mistake....
Old 06-22-2005, 09:18 AM   #21
dragonfly1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second
It's over? I don't think so.

Even when the civil case is resolved, it doesn't resolve the hurt.

An article from last year indicated that this defendant's insurance company won't be required to pay out. There's plenty of year-round boating in Florida: what's to keep this defendant from moving to Florida (as O.J. did) to avoid paying any civil judgment?

Does the retired spouse have enough years left to see closure? A similar Winnipesaukee boating civil case from 1997 is still unresolved. Fortunately, that surviving family is younger in years.

Of five similar Hit & Run boating cases I've seen, all are doing major time behind bars -- including one (ten year sentence) that occurred just a year ago and involved no fatality. A Florida case, which needs to be called a Hit & Float (defendant thrown from his boat, and couldn't run) is serving an 84-year term.

Let's face it: Winnipesaukee's latest defendant drove [off] through a major loophole in New Hampshire law, and has already benefited mightily. That, apparently, isn't enough. Federal appeals are next.

I have to laugh at the possibility of Dan moving away from his family and life in New Hampshire, to move to Florida to drive a boat and of course to Kill someone purposely on a lake in Florida, ha ha ha. Sorry for the sarcasm -
And how do you actually know that Federal appeals are next?
How do you really know, sir or m'am, what happened that night?
You were not there, none of us were there.
Why is it that there is no such thing as an accident anymore?
And if you all want the speed limit on the lake to be 25mph at night - Dan was said to be going 27mph - if your on the road, there is no way a police officer would pull you over for going 2 miles an hour over the speed limit.
If the night was moonless - how was visibility so good?
People listen to everything they hear and everything they read and then just believe it to be true.
It is our job as citizens of this country to question everything -
One last thing -
Frank -please can you leave my family alone now?
please, please, please.
(not saying that the above message was from frank - just wanted to ask)

Last edited by dragonfly1; 06-22-2005 at 09:20 AM.
dragonfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:55 AM   #22
PROPELLER

Samian, Dan is going to jail because that is what the law calls for. Its irrelevant what his actions were before the tragic accident or what they might be after. The only relevant action is what happened on that tragic night.

If there is not a serious consequence like jail time applied to a conviction like Dan Littlefields then how do you tell society that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated. It seems to me community service does not send a strong message that needs to be sent.

You can feel pity for Dan & still feel strongly that he should go to jail.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 11:54 AM   #23
Tired of Waiting

Default I don't think it would matter.

Quote:
Tired....do me a huge favor and get a copy of the July/August Yankee magazine....there is a very similar story to the Littlefield case.It is called "Collision Course" and it addresses the issues that we've been talking about on this thread.Maybe if you read it ,you'll have a little pity for people who make mistakes.We know that you've never made a mistake....
SAMIAM,

I don't have a copy of the magazine. I would be glad to read the story. However, I don't think it would make a difference.

Have I made a "mistake" before? You bet I have, Some doozies at that. Even one that involved property damage. Should not have cut that tree down in the wind. But I stood there and made good. However, one thing I have NEVER done was make a decision that was clearly ILEAGLE.

Littlefield DID NOT MAKE A “MISTAKE,” he made a DECISION. That decision clearly was against the law.

As I stated before, he decided to take the boat to dinner. As far as drinking at dinner, I don’t know what he decided. However if he drank and drove the boat that decision was against the law and was one cause of the tragedy. If he did not drink and was sober then he knew he hit the other boat and decided to run after the boats collided. Again his decision.

Sorry, I have no pity for him or anyone who runs after they hit someone or something with a “boat” or car or truck. They decided to run and they can darn well live with the consequences.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:53 PM   #24
frank m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly1
One last thing - Frank -please can you leave my family alone now? please, please, please. (not saying that the above message was from frank - just wanted to ask)
Say what? where did this come from? who are you?
frank m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:13 PM   #25
PROPELLER

There are 3 forum members who use the name frank in their screen name & I am sure there are many others who have the name frank. How do you know they were referring to frank m.? I assume that is why you are asking, because you think they are referring to you.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:36 PM   #26
frank m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROPELLER
There are 3 forum members who use the name frank in their screen name & I am sure there are many others who have the name frank. How do you know they were referring to frank m.? I assume that is why you are asking, because you think they are referring to you.
Noted. Drangonfly, sorry for the wrongful assumption that you were aiming at me.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #27
dragonfly1

Default Frank M.

RE: My note to Frank.
Apology accepted...all though...ha ha ha
Guilty consience? Irr, is there something I should know about? ha ha ha.
dragonfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:17 PM   #28
frank m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly1
RE: My note to Frank.
Apology accepted...all though...ha ha ha
Guilty consience? Irr, is there something I should know about? ha ha ha.
My consience (sic) is very clear.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:44 PM   #29
Great Idea

Default Not all of it was a mistake...

Is everyone forgeting that he ran over a boat and then left the scene??? That wasn't just a mistake or an accident.
Great Idea is offline   Reply With Quote