Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2023, 11:35 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Camper Insurance?

Contemplating purchasing a travel trailer for this summer. Trailer would be a pull-behind model.

What do folks do for insurance for these type toys ? When I had my boat I used 'Progressive' and they provided the best bang for the buck !

Also, what companies provide towing for campers should I have a breakdown ? I had BOATUS for the boat, and they were excellent. Is their a similar company for the camping crowd?

On the same topic, I'd would like to hear folks favorite RV/Camping spots around New England (mountains an ocean).

Thanks i!
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:47 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Contemplating purchasing a travel trailer for this summer. Trailer would be a pull-behind model.

What do folks do for insurance for these type toys ? When I had my boat I used 'Progressive' and they provided the best bang for the buck !

Also, what companies provide towing for campers should I have a breakdown ? I had BOATUS for the boat, and they were excellent. Is their a similar company for the camping crowd?

On the same topic, I'd would like to hear folks favorite RV/Camping spots around New England (mountains an ocean).

Thanks i!
We just purchased a Leisure Travel Van Class C and will be picking it up in a couple weeks. We shopped insurance prices and no one could touch Progressive! They were way less than half the cost of almost everyone else we checked for the same or better coverage...

Dan
Old 01-09-2023, 01:09 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

We have all our insurance, including an umbrella policy, with State Farm. I'm not really sure about pricing because our agent is so good it doesn't matter to us.

We have towing and rental coverage for whatever we're towing or driving. We pay up front for the first couple days until the claim is started and then SF takes over while reimbursing us.

In terms of campgrounds, I always really liked Hidden Pines in Old Orchard Beach, Greenfield State Park, Moosehillock, and Lafayette Campground, all for different reasons.

Times change, though, and I've heard some of those places—and costs—may have changed dramatically.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
bigdog (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 02:29 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post

Thanks i!
Most travel trailers can be insured on the same policy as your automobiles. This is how I have done it and found it to be the least expensive option. It is essentially another "vehicle"...

With that said, for campgrounds and destinations I recommend using the KOA campgrounds where available. We have stayed at many all of New England and New York. While I can't speak for my wife, my favorite destinations have been Arcadia National Park, Mystic Connecticut, and Centeral New York.......
Old 01-09-2023, 02:45 PM   #5
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Good Sam for roadside assistance:

https://www.goodsam.com/

For insurance check with both Progressive and your auto insurance company.

For trip planning:
https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/

For Acadia Nat Park:
http://www.thebarharborcampground.com/

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-10-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2023, 03:33 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
We have all our insurance, including an umbrella policy, with State Farm. I'm not really sure about pricing because our agent is so good it doesn't matter to us.

We have towing and rental coverage for whatever we're towing or driving. We pay up front for the first couple days until the claim is started and then SF takes over while reimbursing us.

In terms of campgrounds, I always really liked Hidden Pines in Old Orchard Beach, Greenfield State Park, Moosehillock, and Lafayette Campground, all for different reasons.

Times change, though, and I've heard some of those places—and costs—may have changed dramatically.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
We also have most of our insurance (home, camp, multiple autos) and umbrella with State Farm and have had them for almost 40 years...

For whatever reason they simply are not competitive with boats, snowmobiles ATV's or RV's. They were three times the price on this recent RV purchase and I just could not justify it.

I also have progressive on my three boats and the couple claims I have had over the years I cannot say enough good about how they reacted and how well we were treated.

Dan
Old 01-10-2023, 06:03 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Good Sam for roadside assistance:

https://www.goodsam.com/

For insurance check with both Progressive and your auto insurance company.

For trip planning:
https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/

For Acadia Nat Park:
http://www.thebarharborcampground.com/

Alan
Agree with Slickcraft. I shop around for the Ithasca and Good Sam's (National General) is the best price. Great claim service too!