Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2021, 10:52 AM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts
Default Vintage Race Boat Regatta

I see on the WolfeboroCAM that they are setting up for the Vintage Race Boat Regatta. Here's a video of the event I shot in 2011:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-17-2021), Cobalt 25 (10-06-2021), NH.Solar (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 10:56 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I see on the WolfeboroCAM that they are setting up for the Vintage Race Boat Regatta. Here's a video of the event I shot in 2011:
Thanks for the post. My wife and I were thinking of heading over there this weekend—suggestions on when and where to anchor/float?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
camp guy

Marine Patrol and auxiliaries have Wolfeboro Bay pretty well blocked, but I think you can get into the Bay if you stay to either edge. I am sure that if you start to enter the Bay someone will get your attention and explain it to you. It is a great event. If you want to fully enjoy the boats, come by car and be able to walk around the docks and "pits" and talk with the participants. Docking space is severely limited for public use.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #4
thinkxingu

Ok, thanks!

Old 09-17-2021, 05:57 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Camp guy is right. You can go into Wolfeboro Bay but you have to stay away from the racers. There are guide boats out there to keep you away.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (09-17-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Wolfeboro Bay

If you enter the bay on the extreme left and stay outside the white markers, you may be able to enter under the bridge to the public docks. The docks are open to the public. Water is low but not that low.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #7
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Thanks for the post. My wife and I were thinking of heading over there this weekend—suggestions on when and where to anchor/float?

I've always anchored over by Brewster Academy and their mooring field. Nice view and down the straight away to see the speed of the boats.
Heading over tomorrow by boat.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chachee52 For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (09-18-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #8
barndoor

Default Hit and run

I pulled in to the Wolfeboro docks around 7:15 tonight and used the dock directly in front of the gazebo. There were three racing boats lined up on the left and the right side of the dock was empty. I docked in front of the three boats near the gazebo. Three people were enjoying ice cream on the bench next to the gazebo. I was waiting for someone and was looking toward the street when I heard a large bang. Turning I saw a young woman trying to push a 22 ft + or - boat away from a beautiful Chris Craft (C8 or C18). The man driving wasted no time quickly pulling out, turning sharply left at the end of the dock which effectively shielded him from view. Then he fled at a high rate of speed. (At least he didn’t hit the 150 ft buoy as he sped by). By the time I pulled out my phone to call marine patrol, he was almost out of the bay. The four of us were unable to identify the boat as it was dark and he was gone so quickly. A flashlight check of the Chris Craft did not reveal any major damage although daylight will likely reveal some damage.
I suspect alcohol was involved it appears that he tried to spin his boat around at the top of the dock and slammed into the Chris Craft. Just disgusting behavior.
barndoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:34 AM   #9
Phantom

Anyone know what VHF channel the coordinators will be using this year ?
Old 09-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #10
thinkxingu

Please clarify, friends: is this a Saturday only event or both days?

Old 09-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #11
fatlazyless

Vintage race boat racing ends on Saturday at 5-pm, racing is held on Friday and Saturday.

Big awards SOIREE cocktails and dinner Saturday from 6-pm to 9:30-pm at the NH Boat Museum, Wolfeboro Falls ........ $62-fundraiser ........ see you there!!!

www.nhbm.org/the-regatta/schedule-of-events
Old 09-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #12
LakeDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post

The weather was great today. Here is a very short clip I took. (upload fail)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:32 PM   #13
Winilyme

I was enjoying the sights from the Wolfeboro docks Friday afternoon. Even more fascinating to me than the racing was watching several guys intently working on the motor in their racer. As I was observing, a woman, the wife of one I assume, walked by, looked at me and said "They race the boats all day, they fix the boats all night, they are happy".
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 06:34 AM   #14
chachee52

Agreed it was a great day watching yesterday. Got to anchor and watch the second half of the day. With a 4.5 yo and a 7 yo wasn't able to stay until the end, but I think that I saw all the different boats and got to see boats that my friend worked on. When I have time this week I'll upload some of the pics I got. Not as may that I have in the past though, jumping off the boat took priority this year.

Off to see the steam boats shortly.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chachee52 For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (09-20-2021), Grove84 (09-19-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 09:28 PM   #15
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor View Post
I pulled in to the Wolfeboro docks around 7:15 tonight and used the dock directly in front of the gazebo. There were three racing boats lined up on the left and the right side of the dock was empty. I docked in front of the three boats near the gazebo. Three people were enjoying ice cream on the bench next to the gazebo. I was waiting for someone and was looking toward the street when I heard a large bang. Turning I saw a young woman trying to push a 22 ft + or - boat away from a beautiful Chris Craft (C8 or C18). The man driving wasted no time quickly pulling out, turning sharply left at the end of the dock which effectively shielded him from view. Then he fled at a high rate of speed. (At least he didn’t hit the 150 ft buoy as he sped by). By the time I pulled out my phone to call marine patrol, he was almost out of the bay. The four of us were unable to identify the boat as it was dark and he was gone so quickly. A flashlight check of the Chris Craft did not reveal any major damage although daylight will likely reveal some damage.
I suspect alcohol was involved it appears that he tried to spin his boat around at the top of the dock and slammed into the Chris Craft. Just disgusting behavior.
WOW, seems hard to believe, then again seeing some of the attitudes of some people at the docks these days I should not be surprised. Lots of super arrogant boaters in big dollar boats. So many are just oozing snarky, its just so different than in the past.

Sad for the Chris Craft owner to have to deal with the repair. I'm sure thats someones pride and joy.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:34 AM   #16
rander7823

Default Webcam

Is it possible a webcam picked up the incident? And is this the same as leaving the scene of a car accident?
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote