Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Norman Wunderlich

Default 2-People Dead In Route 28 Wolfeboro/Alton Accident

Courtesy WMUR-TV Channel 9

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/2-d...z/-/index.html
Norman Wunderlich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norman Wunderlich For This Useful Post:
Rusty (02-06-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Norman Wunderlich

On tonight's 11:00 PM newscast, Channel 9 reported that the car was driven by a lady from Tuftonboro and the truck by a man from Gilmanton, both of whom died. Still no names were released.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
lawn psycho

Some serious damage to both vehicles. It only takes one second to cross the center line and could be any of us.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Some serious damage to both vehicles. It only takes one second to cross the center line and could be any of us.
More here...

These weren't teen-drivers...Officials mention a 55-MPH speed limit in the area, so it's not real close to the Wolfeboro side of the Town Line—where the crash occurred.

Where is Quarry Road?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I can't tell you how many times I have been doing 55 or over even on that stretch, and some,,,,ummmm....person decides to pass me. Either must be going to a fire or going to start one. I had just left Wolfebor heading to Gilford at about that time....Glad that wasn't me in that mess.
I feel bad for both families.....Goes to show you really need to keep your attention in your driving at all times!....Sad!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
barefootbay (02-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Quarry Rd in alton

Going from Wolfeboro to Alton, after passing Robert's Cove rd the first time, the road goes downhill with a gentle left turn near the bottom. Quarry rd is the road that cuts off to the left in the vacinity of the Jedrey sand pit. It is near the start of the long straightaway where Roberts Knoll campground is located.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

from the Union leader

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
More here...

These weren't teen-drivers...Officials mention a 55-MPH speed limit in the area, so it's not real close to the Wolfeboro side of the Town Line—where the crash occurred.

Where is Quarry Road?
Try this: Where is Quarry Rd?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

I am so sad for our customer and friend whose wife and dogs were killed in this accident.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Merrymeeting

My wife left our house, heading south on 28, at about 4:30, with our 2 dogs in the car. After hearing the initial reports last evening, it was an anxious 10 minutes until she returned my call.

Condolences to all involved.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Little Bear

I went to high school with the husband of the lady from Tuftonboro. I had not seen him in 35 years, but ran into him in Alton back in 2011. I also met his wife at that time. God rest her soul. What a terrible tragedy.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
secondcurve

Obviously, something distracted one of the drivers. A phone call, sending a text, etc. If not a distraction it was likely alcohol related. Unfortunately, someone was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Very sad. It can all change in a second for any of us.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Obviously, something distracted one of the drivers. A phone call, sending a text, etc. If not a distraction it was likely alcohol related. Unfortunately, someone was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Very sad. It can all change in a second for any of us.
True, its all very sad, but you cant assume it was texting or cell calls, or anything the main stream media is droning about. Possibly one of them had a heart attack, or maybe there was a diabetic emergency or maybe the power steering broke or maybe a tie rod end broke, or maybe....

Lets let the investigation determine and not drone about things we have not specifics on. I'm not trying to rag on a poster, just, lets not jump to conclusions and let the investigation prove it out. Yes, its all very sad.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
Heading4thelake (02-06-2013), jeffatsquam (02-06-2013), Merrymeeting (02-06-2013), Resident 2B (02-06-2013), WakeboardMom (02-06-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #14
ApS

Question Investigation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Thanks for the answer to my Quarry query, but for those of us on dial-up, it's too-challenging a wait. Could Google Earth provide a screenshot from a "Street View" of the southbound lane at that intersection?

A truck pulling out of Quarry Road (on the inside of the curve) could have precipitated the crash, and continued on his way—unaware...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #15
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
True, its all very sad, but you cant assume it was texting or cell calls, or anything the main stream media is droning about. Possibly one of them had a heart attack, or maybe there was a diabetic emergency or maybe the power steering broke or maybe a tie rod end broke, or maybe....

Lets let the investigation determine and not drone about things we have not specifics on. I'm not trying to rag on a poster, just, lets not jump to conclusions and let the investigation prove it out. Yes, its all very sad.
I didn't mean to be presumptive. My apologies. Rather just a reminder to be careful as many, but certainly not all, fatal traffic accidents are caused by alcohol and increasingly distractions resulting from the use of communication devices.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
Orion

Default conjecture

Maybe one driver negotiated the first curve then failed to negotiate the SECONDCURVE?
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
Gearhead

Default Deer?

I recall a similar accident a few years back and a few miles further down the road and it involved two cars and a DEER. One car swerved to avoid sandbagging a deer and swerved directly in the path of another car. Instinct or something. I know the road very well; I drive it every day and both my wife and I have had close calls with the deer.

I think that whatever it was, it was sudden, because if one car had simply drifted into the other lane, the oncoming car would have seen it happen (very straight, wide open view) and had at least a little time to react. I guess someday we'll have some idea, but that probably won't bring any comfort to the families involved, and certainly won't bring them back.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #18
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Laconia Daily Sun
Quote:
ALTON — One of the two people who was killed in a head-on two-car accident last near the Wolfeboro line Tuesday evening had served nine years on the Gilmanton Conservation Commission.
Alton Police Chief Ryan Heath confirmed this morning that Ferenc Nagy, 50, of Gilmanton was one of the two people who died in the crash. Mary Lovasco, 54, of Mirror Lake and her two dogs also died in the crash.
Nagy, a real estate agent from Wolfeboro, was remembered yesterday by the former chair of the Conservation Commission Nancy Mitchell as an avid outdoors man and hunter who strongly supported the conservation in town.
"He had an uncanny sense of humor," Mitchell said recalling Nagy as having a brilliant mind and the ability to "think outside the box"
"He contributed so much to Gilmanton," she said, adding he was an early and ardent supporter of the Gilmanton Year Round Public Library.
"He was a really, really nice guy," Mitchell said.
Heath said the crash occurred near the center line. Nagy was headed south, toward Alton, and driving a Chevrolet pickup and Lovasco was driving a Chevrolet Impala.
Alton Police and Alton Fire and Rescue were assisted by Wolfeboro Fire and Rescue, the Gilford Police, the Department of Transportation and the Belknap County Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team.
On behalf of all the emergency personnel, Heath extended his condolences to the families and friends of the victims.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
Norman Wunderlich

I am a new member here and don't wish to ruffle any feathers, but my original post contained two screenshots, one of each mangled vehicle. They were properly attributed to Channel 9 and constituted fair use under copyright laws. The two shots were removed from my post and replaced by the link to Channel 9's website, but not by me.
Channel 9 has moved on and so their site no longer includes any photos of the accident scene. Hence, the entire value of my original post has been ruined.
I now see member McDude has posted a screenshot from the Union Leader, a shot which in fact is essentially the same as one of the WMUR-TV photos that I posted.
I'm confused.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #20
Belmont Resident

Default Or

One of the dogs was jumping around and distracted the driver.
Really it does no good to guess, we may never know what caused the crash, but I do believe that if a third driver had something to do with it there is no way they were unaware that it happened. I'd leave it alone and let the crash reconstructions folks figure it out.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #21
BrownstoneNorth

Default Valid point about your photos being deleted,but your post is still fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Wunderlich View Post
I am a new member here and don't wish to ruffle any feathers, but my original post contained two screenshots, one of each mangled vehicle. They were properly attributed to Channel 9 and constituted fair use under copyright laws. The two shots were removed from my post and replaced by the link to Channel 9's website, but not by me.
Channel 9 has moved on and so their site no longer includes any photos of the accident scene. Hence, the entire value of my original post has been ruined.
I now see member McDude has posted a screenshot from the Union Leader, a shot which in fact is essentially the same as one of the WMUR-TV photos that I posted.
I'm confused.
Wmur still has photos of the crash on its website. On the left side of the story, there's a thumbnail with the word "More" -- click on it and you'll get to a series of large-size photos:

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/-/9...z/-/index.html
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #22
Norman Wunderlich

Brownstone North,
The link on your preceding post is better and more direct than the link that "whoever" left on what little remains of my original post.
Many people are mistrusting of links which makes them a poor substitute for a screenshot or two.
I still don't understand why my post was tampered with in the first place.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:43 AM   #23
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Just a suggestion...

The only person who can edit your posts, beside you, would be the webmaster...I would contact Don and ask for guidance.

I seem to remember a few years back, and I do realize you are new to the forum, that he referenced something about copyright laws and photos and asked that we use links to the source...

Sorry you are upset by it, and I do suggest you contact Don...I'm sure he will give you a reasonable explanation..

It may be as simple as the photos being "horrific", as described by our Chief here in Alton.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #24
Norman Wunderlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
The only person who can edit your posts, beside you, would be the webmaster...I would contact Don and ask for guidance.

I seem to remember a few years back, and I do realize you are new to the forum, that he referenced something about copyright laws and photos and asked that we use links to the source...

Sorry you are upset by it, and I do suggest you contact Don...I'm sure he will give you a reasonable explanation..

It may be as simple as the photos being "horrific", as described by our Chief here in Alton.
Perhaps Don will clarify what I did wrong and what McDude did right.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #25
Belmont Resident

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

Are you sure?
What about all the sites being hacked?
Not trying starting an argument just making a point!