Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
StevenGilford

Default What is the going rate for a private slip?

We currently rent a slip only at our cottage on the East side of the lake for $2,500. Wondering how that compares to others?
StevenGilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
We currently rent a slip only at our cottage on the East side of the lake for $2,500. Wondering how that compares to others?
Thats a bargain! There are many more people looking to rent a slip than there are slips available. Every marina on the lake has a waiting list. Slips at MVYC go for $4,000.00 to $6,000.00, depending on size. Of course you do get amenities at marina's and yacht clubs. How big a boat will fit at your cottage?
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
stingray (05-31-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
HellRaZoR004

$6000 at MVYC for a 38x13 slip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
StevenGilford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Thats a bargain! There are many more people looking to rent a slip than there are slips available. Every marina on the lake has a waiting list. Slips at MVYC go for $4,000.00 to $6,000.00, depending on size. Of course you do get amenities at marina's and yacht clubs. How big a boat will fit at your cottage?
The dock is 30ft, just about all of it useable.
StevenGilford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #5
Meredith AK

Default Slip rental

We own two slips in Meredith and are renting one for $4,500 (up to a 23 foot) and the other for $6,700 (up to 34 foot). You're getting a bargain at $2,500. I know of valet service that is higher than $2,500.
Meredith AK is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith AK View Post
We own two slips in Meredith and are renting one for $4,500 (up to a 23 foot) and the other for $6,700 (up to 34 foot). You're getting a bargain at $2,500. I know of valet service that is higher than $2,500.
Most valet services ARE way, more than $2500. If they were still around that price, I might still be using the valet service.
I had no trailer so factor in valet, Spring launch fees, maintenance fees, winter storage fees (which they would not accept unless you used their maintenance program)
In my opinion, valet (with no trailer) was a ripoff. Lesson learned.
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default West Alton Rate

From their website, conventional dock with 10 ft width max is $155/ ft, 20 ft minimum rate.

Dave
Old 05-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

I pay 4024 for a 26'4" boat at a marinain Moultonboro- I would not pay much more than 2500 for a private deal.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:57 PM   #9
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Most valet services ARE way, more than $2500. If they were still around that price, I might still be using the valet service.
I had no trailer so factor in valet, Spring launch fees, maintenance fees, winter storage fees (which they would not accept unless you used their maintenance program)
In my opinion, valet (with no trailer) was a ripoff. Lesson learned.
I do valet now and my biggest complaint is they NEVER shut off my perko switch. So every time I go to the lake I have dead batteries and have to deal with thay nonsense. When I watch them remove my boat and climb in and shut them off my self oh no suprise the batteries are fine the next weekend.... that’s a problem with kids moving nice boats
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
stingray (05-31-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 07:12 AM   #10
WeLoveTheLake

Call Fays
The service is great.
They may be able to offer a better deal for you.

Meredith Marina is also good but they are a bit pricey.
WeLoveTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:12 PM   #11
gillygirl

I paid $3600 last year for a slip at Glendale Yacht Club. 22’ max capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-31-2020, 07:07 AM   #12
codeman671

I think that slips at a personal residence aren’t as pricey as they don’t have the amenities. I know someone in Smith Cove that gets $3k per spot on this dock for 30ft spaces.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
I do valet now and my biggest complaint is they NEVER shut off my perko switch. So every time I go to the lake I have dead batteries and have to deal with thay nonsense. When I watch them remove my boat and climb in and shut them off my self oh no suprise the batteries are fine the next weekend.... that’s a problem with kids moving nice boats
I valet a 24' cuddy, $2400. In order to move the boat away from the fork lift, they have to start it. A rare problem, as we shut everything off. If your batteries are run down, there is something draining the battery that should be shut down. Somebody in our family once left a cabin light on, unnoticed by us in the daylight It didn't start, they jump started it, let it run to charge it up, and loaned us a jump box for overnight, just in case. No big deal. Maybe the "kids" you refer to would function better with a $10 reminder once in a while, or a plate of homemade cookies?
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #14
Weekend Pundit

Smile Gilford

I pay $2500 for my 20-foot runabout on a private dock in Gilford. I think the only reason I get it for that much is because I've been renting that slip for 16 years and have helped maintain the other docks there.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:14 AM   #15
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I valet a 24' cuddy, $2400. In order to move the boat away from the fork lift, they have to start it. A rare problem, as we shut everything off. If your batteries are run down, there is something draining the battery that should be shut down. Somebody in our family once left a cabin light on, unnoticed by us in the daylight It didn't start, they jump started it, let it run to charge it up, and loaned us a jump box for overnight, just in case. No big deal. Maybe the "kids" you refer to would function better with a $10 reminder once in a while, or a plate of homemade cookies?
They make "jump boxes" small enough, light enough, and most importantly, powerful enough to start a cold (dead) V8 easily. They are not much money. Well worth the investment. Keep it right on board all the time. It is a "must have" on my boat, and snowmobile.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:37 AM   #16
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
They make "jump boxes" small enough, light enough, and most importantly, powerful enough to start a cold (dead) V8 easily. They are not much money. Well worth the investment. Keep it right on board all the time. It is a "must have" on my boat, and snowmobile.
...and jetski. Also good for portable charging.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:46 AM   #17
Dave R

Quote:
Those are great, but keep in mind that the alternator on a typical boat engine is really small and will probably take 8 or more hours of cruising RPM to bring a dead battery back to a fully charged state, maybe longer if the boat has a big electrical load and/or more than one battery. There are two other problems with letting the batteries go dead too:

1. When you discharge a lead acid battery below 50% capacity, you damage it. This will reduce it's capacity and lifespan. The further below 50% the worse the damage. This rule includes deep-cycle batteries, BTW.
2. When you leave a boat battery in a partially discharged state, it will suffer from sulphation which reduces the battery capacity and lifespan.

One option to avoid dead batteries with the switch left on is to shut off whatever is drawing the batteries down rather than rely on the valet crew to shut the switch off. A valet-stored boat is typically won't have many circuits so it should not be hard to figure out what the load is that's killing the battery.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:48 AM   #18
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
I love mine. I bought it for about $80 over 5 years ago and I've lost track of how many times it has saved me and people around me.
Attached Images

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #19
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Great things to have

Quote:
We had one that we brought to and from "Upthesaukee" just like our cooler. We only needed to use it as a jumper once, but we used the 12v adapter everytime we went out on the boat to power our handheld GPS. It worked very well for us and I didn't have to figure out how to install an add-on 12v adapter. (I don't know what end of a screwdriver to use to hammer in a bull-spike in order to hang a picture of our kids).

When we're got home empty the cooler and charge the jumper!

Dave
Old 06-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #20
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I love mine. I bought it for about $80 over 5 years ago and I've lost track of how many times it has saved me and people around me.
That is the same exact one I have, and love it as well. The technology has come a long way in those "jump packs". They have gone from weighing like 30lbs, big and bulky, to just a couple lbs, if that, and can be stored in a glove box, and still have the power to start a V8 no problem!! Pretty amazing.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #21
Patofnaud

"Those are great, but keep in mind that the alternator on a typical boat engine is really small and will probably take 8 or more hours of cruising RPM to bring a dead battery back to a fully charged state, maybe longer if the boat has a big electrical load and/or more than one battery. "

I was having that problem on my house battery after spending all day on the sand bars. It would never get time to charge in the ride back to the marina.

I fixed it when I supplemented my charging system with a decent solar panel mounted on my stern. When my boat is at the dock or stored it is always trickling my house battery (my engine battery does not get used at sandbars and gets engine changed).

I've been using the older 5w model of this one for 3+ years with good results.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07QNM26Q7

If your lighting is all LED, it may even counter a light being on when docked.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote