Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
XCR-700

Default Day Trip Boat Launch & Parking

Can you folks offer any recommendations for a place to launch and park for a 31' Fountain? A friend wants to come up for a day trip and had been using West Alton, but was now looking for somewhere closer to Laconia. Way back I used to use Ames Farm and always loved it there as parking was never an issue. I think its getting really tough for the people who tow to make use of the lake. Thanks!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #2
WeLoveTheLake

Fays. They are great.
WeLoveTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #3
fatlazyless

For $15 the Center Harbor town ramp, down below the hardware store, is most likely good enough with a long concrete pre-fab sectional ramp underwater, and paved black asphalt driveway to unload/load a 31'er. Have seen some large boats like this using the ramp, there.

Free trailer parking about 1/4-mile straight up the hill behind Coe House on the dirt unpaved area of the supermarket and state liquor p-lot ...... way back at the woods.

Many times, there's no one there to collect the $15 ...... do not understand why the town does not have a steel, honor system, fee collection box, there ..... to collect the cash for the town.
XCR-700 (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
For $15 the Center Harbor town ramp, down below the hardware store, is most likely good enough with a long concrete pre-fab sectional ramp underwater, and paved black asphalt driveway to unload/load a 31'er. Have seen some large boats like this using the ramp, there.

Free trailer parking about 1/4-mile straight up the hill behind Coe House on the dirt unpaved area of the supermarket and state liquor p-lot ...... way back at the woods.

Many times, there's no one there to collect the $15 ...... do not understand why the town does not have a steel, honor system, fee collection box, there ..... to collect the cash for the town.
Sorry, should have said they would be coming up from the south, so I think thats not better/closer to Weirs than West Alton. If they were coming from the north that would be MUCH better, and like you said its a good ramp and a nice place.

And I totally agree that I dont understand not having an honor system collection box. Hard to believe too many would be so lame as to not pay. That said, when they staff the ramp with some one who is even a little knowledgeable, about boating and the lake, its helpful and a nice perk. Good part time job for retirees (I should be so lucky when I retire)

Thanks!

Last edited by XCR-700; 08-02-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Glendale?

I think Gilford residents can buy a guest pass ($50?) that allows a guest to launch. Trailer parking is off site, soit takes extra time at start and end of the day.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I think Gilford residents can buy a guest pass ($50?) that allows a guest to launch. Trailer parking is off site, soit takes extra time at start and end of the day.
Funny we were just looking at a house in Gilford, but need a couple more years more to get my younger son through HS before retiring and relocating,,, Dont want to uproot him after living in the same address his whole life and now so close to the end of his public school years.

But I will remember that when we go shopping in the future.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Trailers can be parked out in the back lot at Glendale, as long as they don't have a boat on them and stay attached to the truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-02-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
Trailers can be parked out in the back lot at Glendale, as long as they don't have a boat on them and stay attached to the truck.

Just to clarify,....You can’t do this with a guest or launch pass. You must be a Gilford resident with a resident sticker on your vehicle.

Dan
XCR-700 (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #9
Descant

Default Do it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Funny we were just looking at a house in Gilford, but need a couple more years more to get my younger son through HS before retiring and relocating,,, Dont want to uproot him after living in the same address his whole life and now so close to the end of his public school years.

But I will remember that when we go shopping in the future.

Thanks
Buy in Gilford now and your son can invite all his friends up for skiing at Gunstock-Reduced prices for Belknap County residents. Regardless of where you live, it looks like remote learning will be the standard, so he might still get an Andover diploma.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Gilford doesn't have a free place to launch a boat?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:31 PM   #11
Descant

Default Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
Good clarification.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #12
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Just to clarify,....You can’t do this with a guest or launch pass. You must be a Gilford resident with a resident sticker on your vehicle.

Dan
THAT i wasn't aware of...thanks!

Old 08-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #13
XCR-700

The shut down of Ames farm seems to have left a big gap in open to the public ramps and parking. It was truly an ideal spot for so many reasons. Never ran out of space, and good location both from the road and water. Well no sense in dredging up that lost battle, I need to deal with the here and now.

It seems like day launch and parking are not of interest to most of the marinas, guess that are focused on current business.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #14
WinnisquamZ

Why was Ames farm closed to public launch

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #15
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Code Violations

Cease and Desist August 2006

Ames Farm Inn is in the single family residential district where a "marina" is not a permitted use, a variance from the Zoning Board of Adjustment would be required.

In a nutshell:

Representing the town, attorney Walter Mitchell charges that the Ames brothers have expanded parking areas and boat storage beyond the limits stipulated in their site plan, which was approved by the Planning Board in 1988, without seeking or obtaining the necessary approvals from the town. At the same time, eight docks have been added to the 11 specified by the site plan, also without the required approvals from either the town or the state. Moreover, dock space is rented to third parties, including commercial entities, in violation of the site plan. Finally, the suit claims that the Ames Farm Inn hosts around 30 fishing derbies with some 100 participants each year, which represent an "accessory outdoor recreational activity" requiring the approval of the Planning Board.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #16
XCR-700

Unhappy

Again, not looking to dredge up that mess. I must take the blame for even mentioning Ames Farm,,,

I'm simply trying to find out if there are any good options for someone with a 31' boat to do a day launch and that can provide parking in the Laconia area.

Happy to see the Ames farm matter discussed in another thread or any other matters of concern, but I was not intending to fan those flames in this thread.

Sorry,,,
Old 08-02-2020, 06:55 PM   #17
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Fays?

Fay's Boat Yard? I can see they have a ramp but it looks like it could be interesting trying to get a 31 ft fountain and tow vehicle to the ramp. Go to Fay's website and look at the overhead view. Not sure if it is open to the public.

Dave
Old 08-02-2020, 07:12 PM   #18
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Fay's Boat Yard? I can see they have a ramp but it looks like it could be interesting trying to get a 31 ft fountain and tow vehicle to the ramp. Go to Fay's website and look at the overhead view. Not sure if it is open to the public.

Dave
Yes the location is perfect.

We rented a slip these many years ago, and I have used that ramp before and you are right its tight, but I thought I had read a while back they they were not interested in day boaters. I could be wrong,,,

Always wondered why Mountain View Yacht Club doesn't offer up ramp access and parking, I think they have more then enough land, but maybe they think the regulars would not be happy about it,,,
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #19
TiltonBB

Mountain View is a private Yacht club. The 284 slip owners would definitely not want the traffic and parking issues that outsiders would bring. The additional revenue would be insignificant in the big picture. Parking in the area where the ramp is is very limited. The large lot on the south side is quite a way from the ramp.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:11 PM   #20
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Mountain View is a private Yacht club. The 284 slip owners would definitely not want the traffic and parking issues that outsiders would bring. The additional revenue would be insignificant in the big picture. Parking in the area where the ramp is is very limited. The large lot on the south side is quite a way from the ramp.
Bottom line is they dont want day customers and dont need the money so its not of interest. And its pretty much the same all over. Very few options for day boaters.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #21
Descant

Default It's busy

Many members at MVYC have extra boats, jet skis, and the ramp is already busy with those launch/retrievals since they can't leave a jet ski in their assigned slip.
Isn't there a ramp at Ellacoya?
Old 08-03-2020, 11:55 AM   #22
XCR-700

Quote:
Many members at MVYC have extra boats, jet skis, and the ramp is already busy with those launch/retrievals since they can't leave a jet ski in their assigned slip.
Isn't there a ramp at Ellacoya?
Last time I looked (maybe 3 years ago) there was a dirt ramp for the guests with very small boats, and no dock and no parking, and again only for the campers.

Its looking like West Alton Marine is the only option between Alton and Meredith. Kinda surprising that given there is 25 miles between the two and you can only find one place to launch a boat.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #23
SPT13

I believe there is one at Silver Sands Hotel in Gilford
SPT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #24
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPT13 View Post
I believe there is one at Silver Sands Hotel in Gilford
For day visitors and with parking?
Old 08-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #25
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Cease and Desist August 2006
Representing the town, attorney Walter Mitchell charges that the Ames brothers have expanded parking areas and boat storage beyond the limits stipulated in their site plan, which was approved by the Planning Board in 1988, without seeking or obtaining the necessary approvals from the town. At the same time, eight docks have been added to the 11 specified by the site plan, also without the required approvals from either the town or the state. Moreover, dock space is rented to third parties, including commercial entities, in violation of the site plan. Finally, the suit claims that the Ames Farm Inn hosts around 30 fishing derbies with some 100 participants each year, which represent an "accessory outdoor recreational activity" requiring the approval of the Planning Board.
Actually, He does not represent the town, he represent himself. He also built his home on the railroad ROW, which last I checked belong to the state. When the sewage line was extended to Tirell Hill Road in the '90's, folks were forced to move their buildings off the ROW. Once the Winnipesaukee Basin Project gets more money, the goal is to extend the line to Alton. In that case he will definitely be P.O.

I don't think the town sell Glendale passes, but you can get a guest pass from any Gilford resident or business. If you get there early enough no one will see you launch the boat, so try that.

Fay's and Silver Sands have launching fees. Last I knew you can park your vehicle and trailer. Silver Sands has 'seasonal pass' which allow you to leave your boat with trailer on the premises. You just hook up the trailer and launch your boat anytime.
Irwin and LLM no longer allow public access, even for a fee. PBM has a fee, not sure they allow parking.

At the moment, Belknap County residents do not have reduced price tickets or season pass at Gunstock. They do have Belknap County Days where you can get reduced prices. With new management and new commisioners stay tuned to new or revised development at Gunstock Resort.
DotRat (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 05:49 PM   #26
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Actually, He does not represent the town, he represent himself. He also built his home on the railroad ROW, which last I checked belong to the state. When the sewage line was extended to Tirell Hill Road in the '90's, folks were forced to move their buildings off the ROW. Once the Winnipesaukee Basin Project gets more money, the goal is to extend the line to Alton. In that case he will definitely be P.O.

I don't think the town sell Glendale passes, but you can get a guest pass from any Gilford resident or business. If you get there early enough no one will see you launch the boat, so try that.

Fay's and Silver Sands have launching fees. Last I knew you can park your vehicle and trailer. Silver Sands has 'seasonal pass' which allow you to leave your boat with trailer on the premises. You just hook up the trailer and launch your boat anytime.
Irwin and LLM no longer allow public access, even for a fee. PBM has a fee, not sure they allow parking.

At the moment, Belknap County residents do not have reduced price tickets or season pass at Gunstock. They do have Belknap County Days where you can get reduced prices. With new management and new commisioners stay tuned to new or revised development at Gunstock Resort.

I wouldn’t suggest getting to Glendale early to launch. The vehicles in the lot are checked during the day, so he’d get a ticket if he plans on parking the rig.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
ishoot308 (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #27
XCR-700

Thanks but he is not looking to break any rules or cause any problems using a ramp he should not or park where he shouldnt and get a ticket or get towed, he was just hoping to find somewhere closer to Weirs than West Alton to launch his boat and park the truck and trailer.

If there are no better options he will just go to West Alton.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2020, 08:51 PM   #28
Meredith AK

Default Meredith public boat launch

Might be a little tight, but the town docks boat launch should be OK.,. Parking for both trailer and vehicle (free) across the street from Lago's. As you're coming from the south, Meredith is only 15 minutes from Exit 23 off RT93. Try to get there before 9am'ish and you'll be fine.
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #29
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
I wouldn’t suggest getting to Glendale early to launch. The vehicles in the lot are checked during the day, so he’d get a ticket if he plans on parking the rig.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Yes agreed and not to mention the new cameras installed. Really bad advice by Broadhopper...

Dan
Old 08-03-2020, 10:57 PM   #30
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith AK View Post
Might be a little tight, but the town docks boat launch should be OK.,. Parking for both trailer and vehicle (free) across the street from Lago's. As you're coming from the south, Meredith is only 15 minutes from Exit 23 off RT93. Try to get there before 9am'ish and you'll be fine.
Actually he did that once and it was almost kinda funny. I met him there with my 20' Glastron Carlson on a single axle trailer and I was ok, but his triple axle trailer and 4 Dr 4 WD truck was just way too much for that ramp. It took multiple passes to get it in the ramp ;-)

I think for simplicity WAM may be the best option for him.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2020, 05:45 AM   #31
TiltonBB

Quote:
Yes agreed and not to mention the new cameras installed. Really bad advice by Broadhopper...

Dan
Yes, and suggesting he get a seasonal guest pass from a resident is not the best idea either. That ramp and parking area is busy enough already. No sense encouraging additional traffic by non-residents.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 06:03 AM   #32
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

Dan
Thanks for the advice. I've been launching my fishing rig before dawn and out before seven without any problems during the week.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:22 AM   #33
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Thanks for the advice. I've been launching my fishing rig before dawn and out before seven without any problems during the week.
So you launch your “fishing rig” at 5:00 AM then take it out before 7:00 AM? Sounds like another tall tale to me!...
Old 08-04-2020, 07:55 AM   #34
Donzi Minx

Smile Day Trip Boat Lauch

Ah yes Ames Farm nice wide ramps well maintained, no sudden drop off at the end where you could launch an axle. And then you had Roland, who choreographed each and every launch with vigor. I miss launching there.
Silver Sands is where I launch now, but you have to get there early or be shut out on the parking end. The Donzi at 22 feet it is tight for this old dog to maneuver to launch, but I am horrible at it. The hotel parking is the real impediment to lining up just right, maybe if there were less vehicles you could swing the 31". Best of luck!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Donzi Minx For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-04-2020)