Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
NH_boater

Default "Strangers on a boat"

Saw an interesting thing yesterday at Meredith Town Docks. A beautiful Formula Performance Cruiser idles in and ties up directly again the boardwalk piers. The owners walk off towards the restaurants. A few minutes later, a family is walking by admiring the Formula. Minor waves rock the boat against the docks, barely. The next thing that happens blew me away.

The Father of the admiring family, quickly takes off his shoes, boards the cruiser while wife and little kiddies are all holding the boat. The father proceeds to open doors, looks under the seats and searches the other people's boat for something, with an odd sense of real urgency. I thought he was admiring the boat or robbing it. Next he opens the cabinets off the swim platform, finds some fenders and proceeds to tie fenders in place to 'protect' this cruiser.

I must say that it is certainly possible that the second family that boarded the strange boat knew the owners or is somehow otherwise associated with the boat owners but I am guessing not. It appeared that this stranger boarded the boat, rummaged through the vessel, and ultimately tied up some fenders in the 'spirit of helping a stranger protect his boat. He certainly did not know where the fenders were cuz he opened virtually every cabinet or door before finding them.

I stood and watched in disbelief as it seems the guy just boarded someone else's boat, without permission and starts to go through it. The waves were not, in my opinion, anywhere near the point where this could be justified in anyone's mind. My guess is that we was a complete stranger and my guess is that he walked away thinking he did a good thing. It was odd.

Personally, I would never board a stranger's boat, never mind go thru it. If waves were doing damage, I would attempt to find the owner or possibly hold the boat off the piers but even this would make me very uncomfortable. Even if fenders were just laying there in the open and waves were banging away, I not sure I could touch an other person's boat. Maybe it's just me.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Misha888

Default I think it odd as well . . .

as I would be very uncomfortable boarding our boat. IMHO, if the person who tied up the boat didn't put out the bumpers either it was for a reason or they didn't care.

Maybe it was a friend. Regardless, as you stated, Odd. Good looking out on your part.
Misha888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
Dave R

That's pretty odd IMO, but might be considered normal in some marinas. I know growing up with a family boat in Robert's Cove Marina, people routinely boarded other people's boats to take care of things that needed attention when the owners were not around. That was a long time ago though, back before any crime or litigation ever existed, there was no pollution, you could buy a lakefront home for a quarter, and people always told the truth.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
Kamper

It might have been awkward if the owner had come back before the fenders were located!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
RailroadJoe

Dave R Yup, I remember those days. Long gone.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
It might have been awkward if the owner had come back before the fenders were located!
Awkward, or dangerous. I am sure some people would completely flip out if they saw a stranger on their boat, going thru it, opening cabinets and doors, especially in a near frantic manner.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
HellRaZoR004

Not to mention I believe those docks are pretty decent, i.e. you don't need bumpers if tied up properly. That's what the rub-rail is for, correct?. All the bumpers will do is wear the gel coat.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
cillovely

That is truly strange and even on our POS boat I would be upset if someone boarded and rifled thru it.

We were oggling this beautiful 28' cuddy at Weirs one night and I wouldn't let my son breathe on it, let alone board it!
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
PaugusBayFireFighter

Good intentions or not, it would have gotten ugly walking up on a guy going through our boat.
He may have walked on the boat...but he'd be swimming back to shore in his socks.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

Default Thats a big if

If it was a friend this whole thing is a moot point.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Old days vs. today

Back in the days, people appreciate it if you board their boat to something to help protect their boat or to fix something of immediate concern.

It use to be if two boats block you in at the Weirs public docks which is very common, moving the smaller boat so that you can exit was never an issue.

Try it today and you end up with a P.O. owner and possibly dealing with the Laconia police! That is why boat owners complain about scuff marks or damages on the side of their boats because someone try to exit between two boats and there really is not enough room.

Big reason why I never dock at the Weirs.
KPW (08-22-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Chaselady

We were told that if we moved a boat that was illegally docked, as in our slip, or blocking someone...that we were responsible for ANY damages that may happen.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
Denny Crane

Default Don't touch my boat!!!!

What could possibly happen to someone's boat that was moved because it was in your spot? Then again, looking at the replies above they would find something wrong! I wonder if the people so passionate about their boats maintain their homes as nicely as their boats!! DC

What do you think about someone's girlfriend sitting on a seadoo blocking the launch at Shep Brown's on a Saturday in July waiting for her boyfriend to park(long walk)? She wouldn't let me pull it down 15 feet so I could launch? Give me a break!
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
We were told that if we moved a boat that was illegally docked, as in our slip, or blocking someone...that we were responsible for ANY damages that may happen.
If someone stole my slip, I would first make sure there were no NSA cameras watching, then cut the darned thing loose
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
If someone stole my slip, I would first make sure there were no NSA cameras watching, then cut the darned thing loose
I would love more feedback about this, because it happened to me. I actually move a boat that was in my ( condo) slip. I was informed by the association that if anything happened to the boat I moved ( which I tied up somewhere else) then I was legally responsible.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
jrc

Chaselady, I don't think I would take legal advice from a condo association. Or from a web forum for that matter.

I know what I will do if I can't dock because I find a boat in my slip...

As to putting out fenders, for a friend or slip neighbor, I'll jump on the boat and do what I think they would do if they were there.

For a stranger at a public dock, I probably would take action to stop serious and immediate damage. I don't think I would search their boat for fenders for a boat docked in a no wake zone like Meredith.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (08-21-2013)
Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #17
codeman671

Our neighbor at the marina stays there for the season and keeps a great watch on other vessels in the facility. Personal I could care less if he touches mine. If I was at the public dock and someone was actively trying to protect my boat by putting out a bumper so be it, although rifling through compartments looking for one is pushing it.

I would do what I could from the outside, but not board another boat in a public dock situation.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts
Default Boating Fraternity

Boating used to be a friendly common interest, a fraternity of sorts. Boaters helped other boaters. Rummaging around the boat might not have been the best idea however. I think I would have taken an extra fender from my boat or borrowed one from a nearby (present) owner. I've seen others do this at my marina when a sudden squall comes up and an extra fender is needed. Moving and re-tying boats, especially at the Weirs, used to be common practice. Those who complain may be 'boatowners' more than they are boaters.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-29-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 06:28 AM   #19
NH_boater

While the good ole days are behind us, for sure, many of us still try to operate in this manner. I usually help others when they need it and would gladly take steps to protect someone's beautiful boat if it needed it. In today's day and age, however, I would not board a stranger's boat and search for fenders. I just would not do it. You cannot predict how the returning owner might react. I would much rather sacrifice one of my fenders than board and search.

I was very uncomfortable watching this family that was all over what appeared to be a stranger's boat. Interestingly, exactly when all of this was going on, another boat was squeezing in adjacent to the boat of topic. It was a very tight squeeze and they came within 6" of the stranger cruiser (spinning props to swim platform). I always help a boat approaching the docks when they seem to struggle but not this time. Boat approaching, coming in too hot, nervous looking captain, strangers rifling through this cruiser and I could not exit faster.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #20
tis

Thanked 1,378 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Boating used to be a friendly common interest, a fraternity of sorts. Boaters helped other boaters. Rummaging around the boat might not have been the best idea however. I think I would have taken an extra fender from my boat or borrowed one from a nearby (present) owner. I've seen others do this at my marina when a sudden squall comes up and an extra fender is needed. Moving and re-tying boats, especially at the Weirs, used to be common practice. Those who complain may be 'boatowners' more than they are boaters.
And I actually remember the days when EVERY SINGLE BOAT YOU PASSED, waved. Today if you wave, half wave back so I just don't usually bother any more. Eventually it will be a thing of the past.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
And I actually remember the days when EVERY SINGLE BOAT YOU PASSED, waved. Today if you wave, half wave back so I just don't usually bother any more. Eventually it will be a thing of the past.
They might not be looking when you wave. I imagine I miss the occasional wave because I am scanning ahead and to the starboard more than I am to port. Also, with the safe passage law, there's often substantial space between passing boats, not like the old days when you could pass close enough to recognize facial expressions and know if someone was looking at you.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #22
tis

No, because now I only wave when someone is staring at me. I know they see me. So I wave, and a lot of the time they STILL don't wave back. So I say: "Be that way."
Old 08-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #23
windsail

Default boarding boat

I hope you are right and they were just trying to help. I would never go on another person boat without permission. My husband would have a fit if someone did that to our boat. Even with good intentions. What if he tired it up wrong? or just not the way the owner likes
windsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #24
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsail View Post
I hope you are right and they were just trying to help. I would never go on another person boat without permission. My husband would have a fit if someone did that to our boat. Even with good intentions. What if he tired it up wrong? or just not the way the owner likes
windsail, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

I understand what you are saying, but I feel it is great that someone is out there looking out and trying to help individual that isn't there to do it themselves.

windsail (09-02-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
sum-r breeze

Default Ah the good old days....

Quote:
I remember this custom from when I was a kid. I really miss it and end every post here with "wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back" We are all out on the lake for the same reason....to enjoy ourselves. I think the friendly wave tends to add to everyone's enjoyment.

The Breeze
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #26
Dave R

Quote:
No, because now I only wave when someone is staring at me. I know they see me. So I wave, and a lot of the time they STILL don't wave back. So I say: "Be that way."

That's so sad. I can't imagine not waving back to someone. Happens to me now and then when I'm on my motorcycle though. The non-wavers are usually riding very loud custom bikes. That said, the vast majority of motorcyclists do wave back.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #27
tis

I miss those days too, sum-r. I always have liked your signature. (wave)

It is sad, Dave. I can't imagine not waving back either. What is it with people that don't?????
Old 09-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #28
Misty Blue

Default Severity?

If I saw a boat that was in serious danger of damage such as rubbing up on a piece of metal dock hardware,yea I would do something about it. If I saw fenders (bumpers belong on baby carrages) in plain sight I would use them. Digging through the boat when not really necessary may be a bit over the top.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #29
Misty Blue

Default Severity?

If I saw a boat that was in serious danger of damage such as rubbing up on a piece of metal dock hardware,yea I would do something about it. If I saw fenders (bumpers belong on baby carrages) in plain sight I would use them. Digging through the boat when not really necessary may be a bit over the top.

If I had a baggywrinkle on board (look it up) I would possibly lend it out!

Misty Blue
Old 09-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #30
tis

Misty, were you out on the lake yesterday? I think I heard you call someone else on the radio????
Old 09-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #31
Misty Blue

Default Under way is the only way

Yup. We were under way to visit Pine Island Guy & Gal.

Did a short radio call to Might Mo to check up on him. Ge is doing fine.

Misty Blue
Old 09-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #32
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post

Misty Blue
I didn't hear who you called, I just heard your name and that made me pay attention. Glad to hear Mighty Mo is doing fine.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #33
sum-r breeze

Default mighty mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post

Misty Blue
I know this is a little off topic but it was GREAT to hear our "eye in the sky" on the radio last weekend! For all of my (almost) 20 years of boating on Winnie we have had a kind and concerned soul who has been at the ready to assist us out on the water. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of talking to Mighty Mo, he monitors VHF channel 16 during the daylight hours. He gives us up to the minute weather warnings on approaching thunderstorms and will relay messages to other boaters from marine patrol who might be out of radio range. We have participated in a couple of those relays to aid in rescue information from one area of the lake to another with Mo in charge of the sequence. Thanks so much for looking out for us Mo, we really appreciate it!

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote