Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Camp Belknap - circa 1937 & 1917

A promotional brochure of the camp gives a glimpse of what camp life on the lake was like back in 1937. Stay tuned for the 1917 brochure coming shortly.

click here for 2005 brochure. Requires Acrobat Reader

Click here
for link to pictures from the past and link to home page on the Camp Belknap website.

Click here for a thread on the forum that inspired my interest in lake camps.

Last edited by mcdude; 01-07-2005 at 01:16 PM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:30 AM   #2
Frdxplorer

Thanks MCDude, that is awesome. I was a six year camper in the mid/late 90's. I am curious if you have shared your find with the camp itself. I am sure they would be very interested in seeing it. Also, have you seen the Camp Belknap Centennial Celebration book by John Grossman. It was published for Camp's centennial celebration last year. It is facinating and gives a great historical look at camp. If you haven't yet seen it, I suggest going over to camp and asking if you can take a look in their library. I am sure they have a copy. Or, if you are far from the lake at this time of year, and are looking for a nice read on a snowy afternoon, let me know and I'll ship it up to you to borrow. It does a great job of documenting the decades of camp history on the lake. Thanks for a great post. I look forward to more. Happy Holidays!!
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 12:45 PM   #3
mcdude

Default The Destruction of Camp Alton

Here's another link that got me interested in the lake camps. There are many photos chronicling the destruction of Camp Alton and the building of the Bahre Estate. Click for link
Old 12-21-2004, 06:28 AM   #4
dpg

The camp is "conducted for normal boys" What's that mean? Just try printing something like that today.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:09 AM   #5
Frdxplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
The camp is "conducted for normal boys" What's that mean? Just try printing something like that today.
Pretty wild isn't it. Thank goodness the good traits of camp like its motto, "God first, the other fellow second, myself last" , and respect for nature have endured, and they have also managed to move beyond what you mention and become a camp that is very diverse and accepting. Camp does a great job of providing scholarships for many boys who may otherwise never see such natural beauty in their life.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2004, 10:42 AM   #6
Grant

McDude -- THANKS for posting. That's quite a find! Where did you get it?

Some history: In that first group shot of the folks sitting down the older gent in the glasses and the woman next to him are "Pa" and "Ma" Conlon, who were the directors from 1920-1938. The big lodge with the porch that is visible from the Lake is named after them. The fellow sitting next to the other woman is Hank Adams, who was at the Camp when I was there not only when I was there in the 1970s, but right up into the 1990s (I can't say exactly how long Hank was there, but I will say at least 60 years!). He was associated with the camp longer than anyone, and he and his wife Ruth, who died before him, were bona fide Belknap institutions. Hank taught school in the "off season," and helped my cousin by tutoring him during the summer. He was a tireless fund raiser for the camp, and a living resident historian, and a gentleman who embodied the spirit and tradition of the place.

I was a camper at Belknap for seven years, an employee for one year. My brother was a ten-year guy. My oldest son is heading back for his seventh year this summer, and my youngest will enjoy his first year under the pines.

Here's a great picture of Hank and Ruth Adams, which appears to have been taken in the 1970s.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:16 PM   #7
mcdude

Default 1918 Brochure

Here's a preview. Don't have time to post the whole thing as I have to go and wrap Christmas gifts!

Old 12-21-2004, 11:12 PM   #8
gtxrider

Default Uniforms

Do you think the kids today would wear the uniforms that are described in the brochure?

mcdude, You need not wrap mine.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:47 AM   #9
Grant

Default Ribbons

I still have my "all-camp" swim meet medals from Belknap. Those were the days -- when teams from all the Lake camps would convene at Belknap for an all-day swim meet. Belknap, Wyanoke, Alton, Dewitt, and others all came. Back in those days, inter-camp sports (baseball, basketball, soccer, swimming, riflery, archery) were very competitive and lots of fun. They usually formed 12 & under and 15 & under teams for each sport.

We also still have my grandfather's old swimming medals from Wyanoke.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:47 AM   #10
Frdxplorer

An interesting note on Conlon Lodge that Grant described. Many years ago, the lodge was apparently visible from Abenaki Tower before being overtaken by the enormous pines.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:56 AM   #11
Grant

Default Conlon from Abenaki

Having been up the tower more times than I could possibly count, I'd think that the pines in question would have to be those on Farm Island. That being said, I've never seen Conlon from the new Abenaki Tower (dedicated 7/22/78).

The link below goes to a recent (2003, I believe) Abenaki Tower pan that I shot. Clearly visible in the left-hand side of picture are Chase Point and "Little Huck" (known in circles outside of Belknap as "Melvin Island"). If Conlon Lodge were to be visible from this vantage point, it would be below and to the left of Mount Major -- an area obscured by the oaks in the foreground. So we can't even see Farm Island -- but if anything would obscure the view of Conlon from Abenaki, it would be the pines on Farm Island.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:04 AM   #12
Grant

Default Duh

The link referenced above:

http://www.pbase.com/gfevans/image/3447008/original
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant For This Useful Post:
JacksonB (11-09-2013)
Old 12-22-2004, 01:03 PM   #13
Frdxplorer

Grant,

Very awesome shot. I got that little piece of info from the Centennial Book and I don't recall that it said which pines ultimately blocked the view, but I believe you are right on in your assumption.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:57 PM   #14
Grant

Default Belknap Book

That book is PHENOMENAL. However, soon after I brough it home, it disappeared to my son's room, and I haven't seen it since. I would love to sit down and read the entire thing. The photos are incredible, too. I figured that's where that bit of information came from! Very cool.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:52 PM   #15
fmgate

Nice posts of the items from 1918 & 1937, mcdude. Where did you find them?
fmgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 07:09 PM   #16
mcdude

gtxrider: I wish you told me sooner. Your present is already wrapped!

The End

Last edited by mcdude; 12-23-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:06 PM   #17
mcdude

Here's a photo postcard of the Camp Belknap Speedboat taken by Beardsley Studios in Wolfeboro. Date is 1937.

Last edited by mcdude; 04-01-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:27 AM   #18
GScharoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
Here's another link that got me interested in the lake camps. There are many photos chronicling the destruction of Camp Alton and the building of the Bahre Estate. Click for link
I'm a little late on the thread but thanks for the plug on the Camp Alton website...it has been fun collecting the information from all the past campers and counselors but a bit depressing as well.

Gary Scharoff
Webmaster
www.campalton.com
GScharoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #19
GScharoff

Default Ribbons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
I still have my "all-camp" swim meet medals from Belknap. Those were the days -- when teams from all the Lake camps would convene at Belknap for an all-day swim meet. Belknap, Wyanoke, Alton, Dewitt, and others all came. Back in those days, inter-camp sports (baseball, basketball, soccer, swimming, riflery, archery) were very competitive and lots of fun. They usually formed 12 & under and 15 & under teams for each sport.

We also still have my grandfather's old swimming medals from Wyanoke.
Hey Grant...I too remember the "all-camp" swim meets...did them in 1970-1973 for Camp Alton - started in the 12 & under and finished in the 15 & unders - never medaled but really enjoyed the competition. My best sport was baseball and did play on the those teams as well.
GScharoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:51 PM   #20
mcdude

Default Old Postcard

Old Postcard postmarked 1943.
"To: Mr. Gerry Borham
Roosevelt Hotel
Hollywood, California
Dear Dad - Thanks for the 2 dollars you sent me for my birthday yesterday I caught 2 Bass one was 9 in the 0ther 10 in the doc said the 9 inch one was too small but it wasnt the one I ate tasted like chicken love Gus"

and here's the front page of a 1975 Masqua yearbook showing the tall pine grove surrounding Conlon Hall.

Last edited by mcdude; 01-08-2006 at 05:46 PM.