Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Mldew on patio cushions-Help !

I have some mildew on my patio cushions, as a result of storing cushions in a box container on my patio. Apparently, some water was able to get into tthe container, causing the problem.

Anyway, cushions are fabric, with a floral print. Seeing the tell-tale signs of black mildew spores on the cushions. That said, I cannot use any any product containing bleach, which would cause colors to be destroyed.

Any suggestions on how to clean? What about 'Simple Green", does it contain bleach, and would it work to remove the mildew?

Thanks,
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Island Girl

Default IOSSO Mold and Mildew Stain Remover

I just cleaned 3 kids life jackets with this stuff. I ordered it online. Follow he directions. I did double the strength after a while. It took a day of reapplying and brushing with a nylon kitchen (soft) brush, the kind with the long handle.

The lightest mildew went away right away, no brushing. The really black stuff was stubborn. On that I intensified the strength of the mixture (it comes as a powder)

You should not let it stay on your hands too long according to the directions. It did not affect the colors of the jackets at all.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Pepper

Simple Green works amazingly well on mildew, and contains no bleach or color-fading agents, so it's completely safe. I recommend wetting the entire cloth before spraying, to minimize the risk of "speckling."

When you close up again in the fall, place a container of "Damp Rid" in the box with the cushions - you'll be amazed!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Winni-Retired

Default IOSSO Mold and Mildew Stain Remover

did my boat cover .. works GREAT
Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
brk-lnt

Parafunalia sells some canvas mold remover stuff (I think 303 brand?) that works really well also.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
NickNH

Thumbs up Iosso

I know this is an old thread but want to give a HUGE thanks to those that recommended IOSSO Mold and Mildew Cleaner....

I followed the directions exactly for the first piece of chair cushions (pillow). I was probably using the wrong thing for the scrubber (Dobie pad) because that one did get a bit faded (my fault). It was also taking a long time so decided to try the soaking method....

SUCCESS!

I had even washed a few of the cushion covers that could be removed - they still had the mildew on them. Soaked them all and they look brand new.

I did find that you can't reuse the solution. I had tried soaking 2 cushion covers.....they came out great so stuck 2 more in the same (used) solution. That second try did nothing so I did a new solution....again, success!

I bought a huge plastic Storage container so I can soak the larger cushions that can't be zipped off.....will take awhile but I figure I have the rest of the winter.....

I had gotten the smaller jar to make sure it worked.....already have the larger one on order....from Amazon.
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
KarmaGirl

What's the best for vinyl boat upholstery? I've tried marine vinyl cleaner, Scrub Free, and Krud Kutter. So far SF followed by KK works best, but a lot of work. I then used vinyl conditioner. I'd also like to find someone who would do the job, maybe in the spring. Thanks.
KarmaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaGirl View Post
What's the best for vinyl boat upholstery? I've tried marine vinyl cleaner, Scrub Free, and Krud Kutter. So far SF followed by KK works best, but a lot of work. I then used vinyl conditioner. I'd also like to find someone who would do the job, maybe in the spring. Thanks.
Do it yourself. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Try it. Get it at any super market. Cheap: IT WORKS. I brought back my 20 year old white vinyl cushions that had never been cleaned. From yellow to white. NB

I'm talking the Vinyl side..NOT the fabric side.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
NickNH (10-15-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
NickNH

Here's the description for the IOSSO:

MOLD & MILDEW STAIN REMOVER

Color & Fabric Safe! Removes mold, mildew, algae stain, bird droppings, spider droppings, tannin (leaf) stain, tree sap, tough dirt, grease and oil, some food and drink stains, blood stains and more. Recommended for use on awnings, tents, boat covers, canvas, cushions, carpeting, umbrellas, camping gear, inflatables, fabrics, vinyl, plastic and fiberglass. It is non-chlorine, biodegradable and has no harmful vapors. One 12 oz. jar makes up to three gallons of solution. One gallon cleans 150 sq. feet. The 65 oz. pail makes 16.25 gallons. The half ounce single use packets are great for camping. Easy to carry, easy to use. CONCENTRATED POWDER...MAKES A LOT!
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote