Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
ApS

Default Identification Needed...

While out in The Broads on Thursday, I spied objects that I took to be three large corks bobbing on the surface. When I sailed over to remove them as an questioned boating hazard, they flew away!

I've never seen such tiny birds floating on any water's surface before, and I've been a Winnipesaukee birder forever! They appeared to be shorebirds, and "sandpiper-ish" in flight.

Spotted Sandpipers would be my first guess, except that they flew only a short distance further away and allowed my boat to approach so closely to start with. (Wish I'd seen some spots, though).

It appeared that one was feeding—or assisting in feeding—the other two. Many Mayflies were on the surface Thursday and Friday.

I'm away from my bird book right now. Any possibilities come to mind? Do Spotted Sandpipers float?
Old 08-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
While out in The Broads on Thursday, I spied objects that I took to be three large corks bobbing on the surface. When I sailed over to remove them as an questioned boating hazard, they flew away!

I've never seen such tiny birds floating on any water's surface before, and I've been a Winnipesaukee birder forever! They appeared to be shorebirds, and "sandpiper-ish" in flight.

Spotted Sandpipers would be my first guess, except that they flew only a short distance further away and allowed my boat to approach so closely to start with. (Wish I'd seen some spots, though).

It appeared that one was feeding—or assisting in feeding—the other two. Many Mayflies were on the surface Thursday and Friday.

I'm away from my bird book right now. Any possibilities come to mind? Do Spotted Sandpipers float?
Any pics at this site look familiar?

http://www.gpnc.org/sandpiperSp.htm
Old 08-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
DRH

Default Possible Second Siting

I think we had one of these birds on our dock a couple days ago. We'd never seen one here at the lake before, but it looked very much like the sandpiper photo in the link GWC provided. I went inside to get my camera, but when I came back the bird was gone.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Default OK,this is weird

On sunday afternoon I also was in the broads and saw pretty much what APS descibed about 100 feet from my boat.We slowly moved closer and off they went.First sighting of these type of birds for me.